“Excellent”

Smart Cook Thai Cookery School
Ranked #3 of 4 Food & Drink in Ao Nang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cooking great Thai dishes for your family and friends back home is a gourmet souvenir from Thailand that will leave a lasting impression on all. We guarantee you a unique and enjoyable learning experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Just back from an afternoon at Smart Cook,Thai cookery school what an amazing experience, very informative and interesting NI was a great teacher,very patient and has good English,she also remembered everyones names!everything is clean and some things prepared in advance for you to save some time,we paid 1000 baht for 7 courses, they also pick u up and drop you back at your hotel.great value for money!you also get a little cookery book at the end,which has pictures of the ingredients and explanations of everything.I would highly recommended this course if you are interested in Thai cookery.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank shellmcf

• Korean first
Hong Kong
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not quite as promised”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had signed up for a day course in the city location. Was not able to go to the farm due to flight concerns. This did end up being an advantage as I was the only one at the city location, so did have extra attention.

Food overall was good, and the instruction was helpful. Based upon what I was taught, I felt confident to be able to try and reproduce the results at home.

My main gripes about this school are two:
a. We did not do everything that the brochure promised. Time was not a concern as I finished early.
Examples - Brochure says full day students learn to make tamarind sauce and spicy chili sauce. Full students learn how to cook jasmine rice. We did not do any of these.
b. Brochure promises after class service via email. After the class (1-2 weeks) I had some follow-up questions about what was done in class and about how to adjust the recipes in the book for different portion sizes. I received no reply at all.

I really would like to be able to give this a good recommendation, but without the follow-up and without fulfilling what was promised in the brochure, I find it difficult to do so.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank pkinchina
San Diego, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Fun and Informative!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We signed up for the shorter 3 hour class (5 course meal) in the afternoon because we had a kayaking tour in the morning. Although we signed up for the shorter class with less courses, it was more than enough food for the both of us. My husband and I ended up being the only two students in our class. Lucky us!

Ni was our teacher, she spoke excellent English and gave great instructions. We had so much fun learning from her and is excited to try the recipes at our own home. It was definitely money well spent!

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Really good fun and yum”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We got lucky and had nobody else in our class in ao nang. Our instructor was Ni and she was fab. Spoke great English and understood and directed fantastically. We joked and cooked and made a variety of dishes. There were non meat options like fish or tofu as well as just vegetables and the option to have dishes without nut. A cook book was included as well as the opportunity to take left overs away.

Two suggestions but certainly not criticisms is that the school should offer soft drinks or beer at an extra cost. Also a bit of Thai music would have been fun and added atmosphere especially as there was just as two.

Overall fab would really recommend.

1 Thank HannahandTony
Ballarat, Australia
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Fantastic day, with yummy food to reward your efforts.”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic day at smart cooking school. Excellent service, friendly instructor great day had by all....yes even our 16 year old daughter who hates to cook but loves to bake said it was one of her favorite days spent in Chiang Mai. We all chose different dishes to cook from Kai soi to fried banana, sticky rice with mango, green curry, holy basil chicken,chicken and cashews, hot and spicy soup,pad Thai and spring rolls....we enjoyed them all and just about managed to eat the lot :-) what we loved the most is that we didn't even have to wash the dishes. After the day finished we were give a cook book with all the dishes in it that we'd cook that day plus more...we've been back home nearly a week and I've already recreated a couple of the dishes from this little gem of a book. Highly recommend for all even those who can't cook and don't enjoy cooking.....ie my husband, who loved it!

Visited October 2013