“Excellent hotel!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 105 Hotels in Ao Nang
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Excellent hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Our stay at Phu Petra was excellent. We had booked the Glory Hillside rooms which were excellent value for money. It is a very romantic hotel. The view from the restaurant is great. The pool is also very nice and is set against the backdrop of cliffs. Staff is very very friendly. Justin and his team were very helpful. The shuttle service to Aao Nang beach was very convenient. Food could have been better. But overall will srtongly recommend this hotel. We booked this hotel and book all our hotels only after reading Trip Advisor's reviews and have never gone wrong. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Glory Hillside rooms are excellent value for money
2 Thank Khaitan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

My partner and I visited Krabi from 18-22 July 2011 and chose to stay at Aonang Phu Petra as I had read that it was away from the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang town, and the photos we saw online looked really good.

This choice proved to be a good one. The room was big, spacious, and elegantly decorated. The majestic cliffs could be viewed from most parts of the resorts (including our room), and it is a breathtaking experience to:
1) Have breakfast and soak in the view
2) Swim in the pool against the backdrop of the cliffs
3) Gaze at the stars against the silhouettes of the cliffs at night.

Other things that we liked were:
1) Being able to choose from the a la carte menu for breakfast on top of the buffet style breakfast
2) The resort's desire to be eco-friendly
3) The peace and quiet at night, as it is away from Ao-Nang town
4) The welcome drink and cold towel
5) The free wifi in the entire resort
6) The shuttle bus between aonang town and the resort at regular intervals.

However, there are some issues that could be improved on which would have made the stay absolutely perfect.
1) The mosquitoes are a serious problem. Despite the best efforts by the staff to fumigate the room, and our constant spraying of insect repellent, the mosquitoes were still a pain. However, we do realize that it seems like most of Ao Nang (or even the whole of Krabi) has a problem with mosquitoes.
2) There were ants that crawled around the breakfast area
3) There seemed to be something wrong with the water heater/thermostat: It alternated between cold and hot bursts of water, which was mildly inconvenient, because we weren't sure what exactly to set the temperature to.
4) The toilets had this sewage-like smell, and it did not seem to go away. But this seems to be a problem experienced by other resorts as well (according to a friend who had been to other resorts). However, perhaps more could be done to resolve the smell.

Above all, what sets this resort apart is their excellent staff and the service you get from them:
1) They were very observant and noticed that my partner's birthday fell on the day after we checked in, and asked if I'd like to surprise her, and Ms Siriluck even provided some suggestions on what could be done. Also, they (Mr Justin and another lady) arrived promptly at 12 midnight with the surprise, and even made a card (which I had not ordered) for her. These are the little gestures that made us feel that the service was really personal, and that the staff treated us as individuals, not merely guests at a resort.
2) The restaurant crew (led by Mr Kraisorn) were really pleasant, and it was a delight seeing Mr Kraisorn's smile greeting you each morning when you head for breakfast.
3) Upon reaching the lobby (after coming back from town), the staff would have our room key in hand already, and would pass it to us as soon as we stepped in. We were surprised at how they were so efficient to pass us our key!
4) The staff in general were all very friendly and pleasant. We can only remember Mr Justin, Ms Siriluck, and Mr Kraisorn, as they were the ones whom were interacted with more often. But the other staff were just as good, and all contributed to making our stay wonderful!

1 Thank amoslaw
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed at the Phu Petra Resort for 3 nights in July 2011 and if you are looking for a quiet oasis in the midst of busy Ao Nang - then you can't beat the value for money offered by this hotel. Personally - I found the staff great and was impressed by the standard of English among the reception staff. The rooms are beautifully designed and the Thai food served by the restaurant top quality. The hotel is situated about 20 mins walk outside Ao Nang but the Hotel offers hourly shuttle services. As with most (if not all) the local hotels you will get a better price on Tours from the agents in Ao Nang town itself - so pay them a visit and bargain hard. If it's privacy, value for money and a tranquil stay you are looking for - it's a good choice. There are some great deals around for this hotel. :)

Room Tip: Some of the room face the mountains - others face the pool area.
1 Thank alecb30
Muenchen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

The peninsula where the hotel can be found can only be approached by boat. However, it is really worth visiting this place. The hotel was love at first sight for us. It is cheap, beautiful, comfortable and the staff is also famous for the Thai hospitality.

The breakfasts were great amount and very delicious. The room was tidy, clean and equipped with air conditioner.

To get to the most beautiful beach (one of the 3 of the peninsula) you have to walk some minutes under limestone rocks and you can meet monkeys on the sandy beach.

We will never forget Ao Nang and Petra Resort.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annaMuenchen
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Pros:

1. Beautiful bathroom with separate huge bath tub and shower
2. Room was very spacious with 1 King and 1 single bed
3. Free shuttle service to town and back at designated hours
4. The Shuttle service driver was very warm and friendly even though he couldn't speak English
5. Lovely view

Cons:

1. Upon arrival we were greeted by their reception staff Justin who checked us in and walked us to our room to explain our room amenities, lights, television and etc to us. Although he spoke very good English,throughout his entire monologue we felt that his attitude was cold and sometimes bordering on condescension. There was service with a smile - but the smile did not reach the eyes. Not through our entire 5 day stay there

2. As a highly rated resort, the house keeping did not do their job. Even though they came in to clean the room daily, they never replenished anything. We had to call them and explain what we needed before they topped them up. Which leaves me to question - Isn't it housekeepings job to make sure their guest have enough toiletries??

3. The hotel practiced a 'for a better world' campaign which is fantastic because they care about the environment. However they might want to teach their staff (Justin) to convey the msg in a more polite and less patronizing manner. When he disseminate the information such as make sure you turn off the balcony lights during the day, don't just press the remote control button to switch off the tv.. You need to press the button behind the tv also, you can use the laundry bag to ferry your clothes to the laundry but we will charged you if you take it home.... All of the above were mentioned in a really stern and obnoxious manner. Definitely not the type of hospitality I expect just minutes after checking in and what more in a 4 star Thai Hotel. I simply find it hard to believe that this is the way you speak to all your guests.

4. Comforter and pillow had stains.

5. The water heater was what I term SPOILT. For our entire stay here, the water temperature would change on its own from cold to lukewarm to hot to very hot and back to cold every few seconds, even when we have set it at neutral or leaning towards cold. I have a really high tolerance for hot showers but at times the water got so hot that I actually had to step away for it to cool down again. On the 4th day I decided to inform Justin at the reception about the matter (and it wasn't to changed room because if I wanted that I would have complained on the first day). I just wanted the hotel to know that the shower was faulty and it could be dangerous if we were bathing a child. He went into defensive mode the moment I brought it up and said that it has been that way from the moment the hotel first started operating AND that every room had that same issue.. He said that he would bring up the matter to the GM.. Well GM if you are reading this, I really hope you get it fixed And you might also teach your staff to apologize first when a customer makes a complaint instead of defending. There was no apology whatsoever received.

6. Water was trapped in the shower stall. I asked the hotel to send someone to fix the clogged but when I return a couple of hrs later and had a bath, the water was trapped as well. In the end, we had to use the bathtub to shower instead.

7. We asked for an extended 30 minutes checkout time because our hotel airport transfer was scheduled for 12.45pm, but was turn down flat out even though it was low season in Krabi and the hotel was only running at about 30% capacity max. The excuse given by the girl at the counter was that they needed the time to clean our room for the next occupant. They could have easily placed the next occupant into a different room seeing as to how empty the whole place was.

Perhaps I didn't get the wonderful service most reviewers here experienced because I booked via AirAsia Go and got the rooms for really cheap. But I really expected more from such a highly rated hotel. This is my third time in Krabi and even though the rooms here were aesthetically pleasing, the service during my previous visits at Krabi Resort and Aonang Villa was worlds better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank babusman
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
First of all, we would like to express our sincere thanks for staying in our resort and having the time and trouble to share your unfortunate experience.

We get a lot of pleasures sharing the good reviews amongst the team and we gain a lot also from the less complimentary reviews through regular team discussions over the details.

1. Every guest who will check in must be greeted with their name ‘wai” smile with warm welcome. We say, Khun (name) Welcome to Aonang Phu Petra Resort. Mostly we did escort the guest in front the door to welcome the guest for check in procedure and followed by offering them to take a sit. We always say “Please take a sit sir madam” or call their name. We do ask guest preference like how’s their flight, where they came from, are they tired and etc. Here comes the welcome drink. Offering a welcome drink, we say “May I offer you cold towel and welcome drink please? We do ask our guest if they want some more welcome drink if sometimes we knew that they are thirsty. After we ask their passport, hotel voucher and credit card and we say, May I have your passport, hotel voucher and your credit card please? These all words signifies the attitude on how to deliver the words to the guest in polite manner.

A personal note to Justin “we felt that his attitude was cold and
sometimes bordering on condescension” There was service with a smile – but the
smile did not reach the eyes. Not through our entire 5 days stay there.”

We are very sorry that you felt this during your stay. To make things clear, we
investigated and personally ask Justin about what really happened during the check in process. He told us that this is his normal gesture specially while explaining or talking to someone. Maybe you misinterpret his gesture. He just needs to focus to deliver the right words. He is very informative to all guests and he always makes sure that every information he delivered was correctly and completely informed. I assume he want you to know how everything works. We are again sorry if we were in any way misleading, and if the way we reacted was not professional.

We thank you for your comments because it makes us to improve better
service to our guest. And that we should give a service to every guest with smile coming
from the bottom of our heart towards service and hospitality given to our guest and of
course great attention to details.

2. Please to inform everyone that the standard operating procedure of our housekeeping is to clean the guest room daily unless otherwise stated or informed. The cleaning time is between 8 am. to 5 pm. Our housekeeper refills the complimentary items like drinking water, coffee, tea, coffee cup & spoon daily; this includes shampoo and foam bath (if found to be not enough). Some additional items or the items you ask for more that is not really the resort’s standard may require your requests. As I know you ask for more toothpaste (which actually packed together in a set placed in amenities tray in your bathroom already) and this calls for your requests. Toiletries can be asked at the reception 24 hours. Please let us know anytime or dial 0 and we will happy to serve you.

3. Every department has S.O.P which we trained our staff according to standard policy of the resort. We would like to share our Standard Operating Procedure for check in guest room.

Once we explain about the services at front desk like restaurant opening & closing time,
mini shop, Dahla Massage, swimming pool, tour informations, check out time and
late check out, then we ask our guest to escort them into their room. “May I
escort you to your room?”. Once we reach in front of their room, we inform our guest
and say, This is your room (say the room number). We explain the “do not disturb
sign” right side is the do not disturb sign meaning the guest is in the room and the left
side is cleaning status. How to say “This is “Please Do Not Disturb Sign” Please turn
this side if you want our room attendant to clean up your room and turn the other side if you do not want to be disturbed.” Before entering the room we did explain how to open and close the door. “To open the Door, insert the key and turn left, until you hear the sound then make the key right on the center and take off the key. To close turn right and make the same procedure.” Explaining the key and the balcony lights. “This is the key slot and the key. Insert the key here to standby electricity. When you take off the key, The electric system will shut down.” This is the lights on your balcony, outside your room. For this switch, May I ask your help and cooperation to please turn on this light only at night time. Please help us to save energy. Explaining the laundry bag (not in the S.O.P) “We have laundry service, (show the price lists from the closet) you can use this laundry bag to send your dirty clothes or you can use this during your stay, but if you wish to take the laundry bag when you check out, I want you to know that this is not free.” For the laundry bag issue, we always found it very inconvenient to the guest during their check out. They always complain for not informing them because it always gives trouble for taking the laundry bag out from their luggage and repack their clothes again especially when they are running out of time.

We have trained our staff and applying this S.O.P to our staff since the resort has been operating. For your information, we are “Green Hotel”; that’s why energy saving is included in S.O.P. to have guests be a part of us in saving the world, and of course not for forcing. As I investigated and went for more detail about how he informed guest on that day, he was pretty sure that he informed the guest according to S.O.P that he began with some polite words such as “Please” or “May I” that I don’t think he meant to force our guests to do; but he asked. I assume his gesture conveying was misleading to you. I apologize for this but thank you and will for sure go deep down into a matter for better service efficiency delivering. This doesn’t mean I believe him but not you…but as a General Manager who has worked hand in hand with all head department for more than years. This is actually the characteristic of Justin. He is informative and tries so hard to give entire complete information to all guests and his guests are always come first. Honestly, most of the guests appreciate and feel very gratitude from his detailed taken care.

However, please be again ensured that I will go into discussion with him to adjust his gesture and make him smiling more. If ever you found some impolite, stern and obnoxious word in a way we deliver to our guest, please accept our deepest apology. We are very happy to receive your suggestion or recommendation for our improvement.

4. Normally our housekeeper has never ever put stained linens into our guest room. As investigation, I have not really sure how stain comes from and why we have not previously informed from housekeeping department of a stain on a pillow. Until now, we still can not come up with a fact happen. We are; however, very sorry for giving a stained comforter and pillow during your stay and thank you very much for bringing this issue to our attention. We will pay more attention and double check the condition of all sheets, covers, comforters and pillow, etc., before putting into our guest rooms. We promise that every piece of such comment will always be taken seriously in which we can deliver you with more comfortable and remarkable stay when you come back next time.

5. Thank you for your comments. As a matter of fact, we already brought this issue to our management for renovation and waiting for approval. Please understand that this will take a long process to get renovated because it will include the whole system and the entire room to replace. Besides the volume level of occupancy at the moment is still high so we couldn’t finalise the starting point. All this is done in line with professional companies who are experts in such matters, in order for us to fully comply with international standards. We would like to assure everybody that we are doing everything we can to get to the bottom of this problem. Any queries or worries you may have regarding this matter please contact us directly and we will make sure that all your questions will be answered in full. Finally, on behalf of Khun Justin and management team, we would like to offer our deepest and sincerest apologies if we didn’t do the right thing or even not say sorry or apologise during your stay. We have taken necessary measures to avoid such incidents from recurring in the future.

6.We apologise and accept that this is a faulty construction worked at the very beginning. This will include in our plan to renovate some rooms as stated at paragraph number five. We promise to be aware in way of assigning room to our guest.

7. We are very sorry for not giving an extra 30 minutes checkout time. Please to inform you that the standards check out time is 12 noon. We normally give some extra times, without charges, for guests if there’s no checking in guests waiting for that rooms, but not beyond 2.00 pm. For your room on that day, there’re other guests waiting for checking in. Let me explain that even there are so many available rooms on that day we can not put our arrival guests into other rooms except the room we previously manage and one of that is yours. This is because many other rooms especially on the date you checked out are in a stage of “OO” for fixing. Thus, late check out sometimes doesn’t depend on our occupancy but depend on other factors else.

Last but not least, it really has nothing to do with what agents our guests book for, it really has nothing to do with what rates our guests get. We do believe we deliver the best service come from the deep down bottom of our hearts to all guests. This unpleasant stay happened from some errors we did not mean to make it go in this way and we promise to improve. One of the things is the “misleading” that we will bring this into our discussion to deliver a better and better service to you and all our guests in the future. It’s also my fault not come talk to you about how inconvenience you have faced during your stay.

Again what rate you bought has no bonding to our service delivery; it strictly remains on the standard. Please place your relying on us that we will not drop our service efficiency from which rate has been bought. We treated all of our guests through the whole same set of principle and doing our best efforts to serve you. If it will dropped, it will come from our mistake that we every single time turn your comment into an improved service…and yes you are the one who make us improved.

We do hope that you will not be deterred from visiting Aonang Phu Petra Resort again in the future.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

In Krabi, we stayed 5 nights at this resort. I stayed there with my 2 children ages 3 & 7 and my helper. The rooms and beddings were big enough for us 4, the bathroom was very nice and spacious and that was what we needed. The room was very clean and the hotel surrounding very natural. The kids love the playground too.

The hotel service is very reliable and we arranged all our day trip outings and transfers through the front desk only. They staffs were very efficient and helpful. It saved me a lot of time for we wanted to go to many places. With 2 children, I couldn't afford to spend any of my time doing things that could be delegated to someone realiable.

My children especially love the food served at Sila Petra Restaurant. They love both the Thai and Western cuisine delicately prepared by the cook and served by the attentive waiter and waitress. My eldest insisted that we eat there everyday and we did. Anyway we were too tired from all the day trips and it was very comfortable and nice dining there either for lunch or dinner. My youngest loves the carbonara and he even ate almost the entire plate by himself. My eldest loves the club sandwiches served with fries. Most of all, we love the rice that was served with banana leaves ... very fragrant ... together with various Thai dishes. Until now, my eldest (being quite a picky eater) still could recall all the delicious food at Phu Petra. In this restaurant, I have no worries at all.

If we were to go visit Krabi again, my eldest would suggest this hotel. I would too because I don't have to worry about their food. Staying in this hotel really served all our needs, satisfactorily!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Dreamon21
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

This place met our expectations...amenities,service,housekeeping,food... all score high. The cliffs behind the villas and the pool are just super scenic and picturesque... We loved it... we had a great time there and had a memorable stay. We totally loved our majestic pool facing villa. Cant really think of anything to complain about .... :)

But would definitely suggest a few things which would make this place more than perfect -

1. Swimming pool closes at 7pm - This should be more flexible... by the time we got back to the resort at night after a long day island tour and sight seeing.. we would have loved to jump into the pool for sometime and relax... which could not happen due to the pool being closed at 7pm. (which was way too early) :(
2. Iron -box should be provided in the room. We called up the reception to send us one to our room whenever needed. (however they were prompt enuf to do the needful)

Please note that - this place is not very close to ao nang beach area & shops and at night to get back to the hotel its a better idea to take a taxi/tuktuk (be ready to pay extra at nite) rather than walkin back to the resort. The patch from the main road to the resort is pretty dark and foresty. Walkin not advisable. If you want to stay very close to the beach,bars and shopping places then you might want to stay somewhere else close to the ao nang beach area.

The reception and restaurant staff are courteous and polite... Great job!

We had a great time in Phu Petra..and would love to go back sometime again. :)

Thanks to everyone at Phu Petra in making our honeymoon memorable!!! :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple