“Mixed feelings, beautiful & peaceful resort”

Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi
Ranked #3 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
San Francisco
“Mixed feelings, beautiful & peaceful resort”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

As we were on our honeymoon, and perhaps since the resort wasn't full, we were upgraded to a beautiful, HUGE room where they took elaborate measures to make sure we were delighted with our welcome. We were greeted with refreshing, fruity drinks right away and someone had taken the time to use fresh leaves and flowers to decorate the "towel swans" on our bed and drawn a bath and floated more fresh flowers on top of this!! We loved all these personal touches! Also, the grounds looked so natural and well-kept. The pool had an amazing view of the mountains, and was definitely gorgeous!

However, at dinner time, the restaurant was completely empty (both of service staff and of patrons) and the lights had been completely dimmed... it did not feel very welcoming, and to be honest we didnt know if the restaurant was even open. It was a while before someone greeted us and asked if we wanted a table. The waitstaff was very courteous and attentive, but we thought the food to be on the pricey side. On the other hand, breakfast, which was included in our booking, had a great selection and was great!

In the morning around 8am, I awoke to someone raking on the asphalt right outside our room. I thought this rather inconsiderate, but I assumed it would probably stop soon. I was wrong. It went on for what seemed like an hour--it was almost comical how long it went on. I did not complain, but I was rather grumpy that morning.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves here. For better or worse, we had to slow down our pace. I think this is a beautiful, small, peaceful resort that is tucked away from the main tourist strip of Ao Nang's town. The service was sufficient. It was nice to relax and enjoy our beautiful room, the gorgeous view from the pool area, and the peace and quiet here. However, there was not much within walking distance (just a bar a cross the street and dark dirt roads in every other direction) and I did feel a bit confined to the resort, which isn't huge. They do provide a free shuttle downtown every hour...but we found downtown Ao Nang to be annoyingly touristy and grimy. (Personally, if I could do it over, I probably would have skipped Ao Nang altogether on our trip).
Other pluses: The front desk staff were really helpful in finding out ferry times and booking them for us. And they have a foozball table!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear our beloved guest:

We thank you for giving us a chance to serve you. We delight for good comment you left for us and hope for a chance to best serve you in the future.

We upgrade you to better room type not because it is not full but oppositely because they are all occupied, then we need to upgrade one room to higher category and it's you we choose as you are couples of honeymooner. In normal situation we hardly upgrade anyone free of charge.

For the restaurant, it's true that you will find lights a bit dimmed of some nights. This is because we are green hotel and want to save the energy when there is no guest use our service. However,when guest(s) enter the restaurant, all light will be turned on. Our restaurant is opened from 7.00 am. to 11.00 pm. and our restaurant staff are around. We are sorry for the case that our staff may not come to you immediately at that time.

We are sorry for the noise awoke you in the early morning. Up to now, I am trying to figure it out what your room number so I know the source of that noise. For your information that we did not do any construction or renovation at the time of your stay. I will; however, not make any excuse but sorry for such annoying sound.

As you mentioned we have shuttle service leaving every hour to McDonald which take only 3 Besides that, we also provide motorcycle service, massages, several of one day tours, city tour and adventure trips. All these information, you can reserve or ask for more information with our reception at front desk.

We thank you for your positive comment as it fills our spirit as a hard worker. For negative one, we promise to improve it upto our standard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brussels
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Honestly, I don't understand how this hotel managed to get such a good rating. Maybe people visiting it haven't had much experience with visiting hotels? To me, it nearly felt like being on a camping. Location quite far from the center, so the best thing si to rent a motorbike which is an extra cost of 300 Baht/day. The garden smelled weird in certain areas, a bit similar to the smell when being at a zoo. We stayed in the best room near the pool, I think one would feel very deceived when booking one of the other rooms, because the only thing nice about this place was the size of the room. The cleaning lady had forgotten to clean behind the toilet. Arrival was without a smile, treated like a number. Breakfast was o-k. Internet didn't work properly in the rooms. Pool felt claustrophobic, with the sunbeds very close and facing each other, but the mountain view is a plus. Sometimes the reception was friendly and some staff were doing a good job but others were sadly a joke, most of the time very unefficient, almost making us waste a considerable amount of time by not understanding our English. When we asked the way to the Tiger Cave Temple, they forwarded us to the Shell station and told us to ask further directions there... it felt as if she wanted us to book a tour. We stayed in a "majestic" suite, which had a good size and nice design. The toilet smelled bad though and we found a trail of ants climbing from the wall at one point. Motorbikes rental slightly overpriced, drink menu slightly overpriced. Don't try the cocktails. Food very basic and slightly overpriced, but no complaints about taste. Only tried one soup and one rice dish. Once we called a taxi and wanted to annulate it (10min later while it was due to be there in 1 hour). For this service we payed nearly the double of what would be considered a good price, and they "couldn't annulate the contract with the taxi company". Yeah right, very disappointed. Coming back to Thailand but definitely not to this place nor region. Ao Nang itself is quite filthy as well, sad to say. Happy we only needed to stay for a few days.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nova001
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Our Beloved Guest:

After I have read through the end, Honestly, I must say sorry for your upset feeling while staying at Aonang Phu Petra Resort. We thank you and appreciate all comments, whether good or bad, we take it in to initiate our services in a more and more professional manner.

I found that you were unhappy because this place, not only with our resort but this also includes the whole area of Aonang, is not what you have expected. (It is not under your expectation but it is just not what you anticipated to or looked for) but it has nothing to do with our services or our property at all, except the cleanliness plus some bad smell in a restroom and some of our staff who may not be expert in taking care of our valuable guest that I surely give it serious to discuss with my Housekeeping Supervisor and FO Manager accordingly.

Honestly, I found the review is based on individual’s attitude, sorry to say that but it is unfair for us as attentive and hard working people. Please; however, give me a space to clarify. As you compare our property as to being on a camping, location far from the center, strange smell of a garden and overpriced motorbike and food.

I will go from one to the others.

Aonang Phu Petra Resort is a small boutique resort that “initiates a standardized and warmest hospitality. That is what someone defines us to be. We were awarded honour hospitality excellence in “Outstanding Secluded Boutique Hotel Awards” In that rewards, it says “Seclude” that means we are far enough from the bustle hustle but closed enough to go to the beach or center not later than 5 minutes by our free shuttle bus leaving every hour. The smell of a garden is totally a “Nature”…It is a smell of a Nature, surrounding by trees and flowers. We are green resort that we never put any chemical stuff into our soil but use organic fertilizer instead. Our vegetable will go directly to staff canteen and main kitchen, some dishes our guests take is from our garden. For the overcharged in motorbike and food, I must say it is a standard average price that other resorts/hotels around Aonang area will charge you.

We are, again, sorry for your bad experience you faced. Some situation you met of course directly comes from our staff inefficiency but some are totally based on your own perception. I guarantee for any further improvements and developments our guests will find from us as our management team really focus on every piece of feedback from all of our guests. What we can do to make it a “Happy Experience”, we will surely do it without hesitation; just that it might take some times. Please place your trust on us.

Thank you again for your comments and at the same time we hope you understand our part as well.
England
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Phu Petra for a week in February. We really liked the resort. It's small, personal and friendly. The rooms and bathrooms are huge and very nice. The location is peaceful and pretty with lovely views of the cliffs. Breakfast was good - there was a nice selection of food available. We went across the road to a German deli/ restaurant for lunch and dinner most days.

We didn't like Aonang (it was far too touristy for us) but the resort is located outside the town. It was easy to catch the shuttle bus (which goes every hour) into town when we needed to, but otherwise we stayed away.

(As other reviewers have said it's very difficult to read in the rooms because there is limited lighting! However I see that the resort plans to rectify this which is good news. My other minor gripe is that it's sometimes possible to hear your neighbour through the adjoining door - this was only an issue one night where our neighbours talked particularly loudly into the early hours of the morning. We complained to reception who sorted it out very quickly. Neither of this minor issues would put me off staying here again).

All in all I think this resort is in a great location, is really nice and excellent value for money and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I'd recommend villas 101 to 108 - all hillside facing. These are quiet, with a lovely view.
4 Thank WorldWandererEngland
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We loved our stay at the Aonang Phu Petra over the New Year. Tucked away from the hustle & bustle of Aonang but not to far if you wanted to be apart of the rat race. The hotel offers a free shuttle down the main street, but we were happy to walk & take in the scenery. Even after late nights out in town we were still happy to walk back at out leisure feeling safe. The villa rooms are amazing, they are huge, only probably our room contacted with the next room & at times u can hear the honeymooners at it. Phu Petra is intimate & this allowed to meet new people during our visit. Minor things they can improve on service by the pool, our first two days we had to go to staff & asked to be serve. After we had spoken to them regarding the service & Aussie like there drinks to keep coming they were great. Prices for food & drink at the resort is very reasonable. The staff are happy & friendly. We would recommended the Phu Petra if you are looking for somewhere to relax & chill out but close enough if you want the hustle & bustle of a town.

Room Tip: Mountain side rooms are quiter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Strawney
Lichfield, England
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have been staying at the Phu Petra now for 5 days and luckily still have another 7 to go!
Aonong is a great location for a holiday in Thailand but it is very busy and very noisy! I chose The Aonang Phu Petra resort because it was supposed to be quiet - and it is! The resort is only 5 minutes from Aonong but it feels like a million, it's location is perfect. Set against a beautiful backdrop it really is an escape.

The resort is quite small and doesn't have that many rooms which to me is a big bonus, I hate large resorts where you are just a number. The Phu Petra staff know who you are almost immediately so they hand you the correct room key as soon as you approach reception.

On arrival the twin room which I had requested wasn't available ( it was never guaranteed) but I was upgraded to a suitable room the next day so it wasn't an issue. Because of this I have experienced both a hill view villa and a poolside, both are lovely. I wouldn't worry too much which one you choose. The rooms are huge, have beautiful bathrooms and large comfortable beds. The air conditioning works very well and the wi-fi isn't bad.

Breakfast although not having a huge choice is more than adequate and always served with a smile! Food at lunchtime and in the evenings is also good and very reasonably priced although you will probably want to eat out in Aonang most of the time because of the huge variety. The free shuttle to Aonang runs regularly and tuk tuks back are cheap and plentiful.

The resort pool isn't huge but it is nice, my only real criticism of the resort is that although there is plenty of space it could do with a few more sunbeds!

All of the staff without exception are both very kind and friendly as well as professional and efficient. Rooms are kept clean and airport transfer, if you request it is also very good.

If your thinking of visiting this beautiful part of Thailand then you won't go wrong choosing The Phu Petra, it is excellently located, quiet, beautifuly appointed and very reasonable in price - give it a go!

Room Tip: All room locations are good - don't worry!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank SimonLichfield
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Somewhere between paradise and One Flew Over The Cuckcoo's Nest lies the Ao Nang Phu Petra. if you prefer to keep your Thai experience to a nice pool, with a nice view. If you don't mind listening to Let It Be played on pan pipes while you take a dip. If you'd rather the unpleasant smells and tourist tat of Thailand is kept to the margins, then this is the place for you. The bungalows are huge and every whim is catered for. Put your mind in neutral, your towel on a sunbed and hum along to Barry Mannilow.

2 Thank nadiarj
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We were allocated a cliff view room and found it to be wonderfully peaceful and, as others have said, a great specification - particularly the bathroom. All the staff were friendly and attentive without being "pushy". The food, we found, was as good as most of the restaurants in Aonang and similarly priced though as the drink prices were comparatively high (and we needed just a little exercise!) we tended to walk into town to eat and shop and then either caught the hotel bus (free) or a private tuk-tuk back (100 baht). One evening we sat around the pool for the "free" entertainment, paying for the evening meal. I think the hotel were let down by the performers who were late. We sat through guest/host karaoke as long as we could (paying high beer prices!) while we ate our meal and then we gave in - it was just too cringe-worthy!

My main tip would be to travel light - we had far too much "stuff" with us, which we did not need. As an indication, we were paying a maximum of 200 baht for "designer" T-Shirts and 60 baht per kilo for ironed laundry (in Aonang - not at the hotel!!) with a same-day turn-around! There are plenty of supermarkets and pharmacies etc for any sudden emergencies.

Woudl recommend the day trip to Khao Sok national park as a change from the busy snorkelling venues.

4 Thank Loumx