“Nice and relaxing place”

Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi
Ranked #3 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice and relaxing place”
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

stayed at phu petra end of september '12 for 2 nights and it was what i expected. Resort style with beautiful cliff backdrop. Tranquility with lots of greenery. For us city folks it was a nice change waking up early in the morning hearing the roosters and hens and frogs.

Spacious room and bathroom. Love the huge bathtub. Airport pick up service was prompt and driver was nice and friendly. Waited for us while we shopped for groceries and even drove us to places with halal food.

The only problem is the location. Its much further in from the main tourist strip. While this makes the place quiet and tranquil, travelling is a tad difficult. But the hote provides cars and motorbikes for rental if u do not wish to wait for the shuttle service. We rented a motorbike which was good and cheap that is if the wether is good.

Unfortunately for us it was pouring and our room is right at e back. We had to carry umbrella and shopping bags and a baby walking in the rain at night from the lobby to our room which had no shelter and with stairs along the way. Only realised on the day we were checking out that they used buggy to get around the resort. I wished a staff had approached us and offered to send us back to our rooms in a buggy!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Marrissa83
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear our dearest guests:

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know that you had nice experience staying at Aonang Phu Petra Resort. During your stay, it rained. This might cause a bit of troublesomeness for you and your family but as you mentioned we have buggy to serve our guests. The possibility can be that we were neglectful to notice our guests' needs. Since some guests don't wish to sit on the buggy and prefer to walk by themselves as our property are small and in walking distance. However, we will be much more observant and attentive toward our guests' expectations.

In addition, we are very welcome to help and support all guests' anticipation to the best capacity that we can do.

We promise to keep it a standization and improve our imperfection. We love to know that you will come back here again in your nearest future.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel six nights in then end of September 2012.

We had booked transfer from the airport. This worked fine, we were met by a civilian dressed driver and taken to his car, an old Volvo from the 80's. It was ok but not what you expect from a 4 star hotel!

Upon check-in we were told to wait since the room had to be cleaned because of late check-out previous guests. This turned out to be not true! I could see with my own eyes that the reason was that the son of the owner was showing some rooms, including our, to some people. So we had to wait in the lobby because of a big lie! Rule number one, never lie to a guest if the guest can proove it!

The hotel has a free shuttle bus to the "town" every hour and with return 20 minutes past the hour at certain hours. We took the bus and also talked with the driver about the pick-up time two hours later. We were standing at the meeting point waiting and waiting in the pouring rain. No driver showed up! So we took a tuk-tuk back to the hotel. When we told them they said they were so sorry but the driver had forgot! The regular driver had an day off. The bus was parked just outside the open reception, so why didn't anyone then remind him? The would of course deduct the 60 baht from our bill as compensation... One member of the owner family was standing there, saying nothing. Did they deduct 60 baht from the bill? No. So yet another lie.

The son of the owner is working at the hotel. At least he is present there. For two days he was playing with a new door bell, sounding like the 7-11. This made echo all over the hotel area, including the pool and our cottage. "Ding-dong! You are welcome!". Quite annoying to hear this for two days! When we told him he said he was sorry and asked if it was disturbing!

The last day, Sept 30, a girl from the reception put up a paper on the message board. Not saying anything. When I went a looked the message was that the pool was to be closed fron 1pm onwards for cleaning. The message came up at 10.40am. This was the second not rainy day for a whole week. Guests got angry so they changed the cleaning until the day after!

The hotel is not a 4-star hotel! For example they didn't make a turn-down in the evenings. The didn't come and spray for mosquitoes (which we had a lot of). They didn't supply with mosquito protection outside. They smoked the area once for mosquitoes. Typically this hotel, they announced with a paper on the bed that they should do this action at 1pm. Did they start at 1? No, they started at 4pm. This annoyed people since everyone was planning after the message.

The hotel could be very good. It is nice situated. It has all the possibilities to be very good, even outstanding. Unfortunately it seemed too much to be the playground for the owner family. Not seeming to know how to run a hotel and how to make it good for the guests!

They had newspapers in the lobby. But noone of the staff seemed to care about maintaining them. Not changing to new ones day by day.

The clocks in the lobby showing the time in different cities around the world were not accurate. They hadn't bothered to adjust for daylight saving time. And, typically this hotel, noone bothered when told about it.

The resque for this hotel is the staff at the restaurant. The supervisor is doing a very good job! The cooks are very good and cooking very good food. The menu is various with many good items and they are all cooked to almost perfection. And, the prices are not too high! The breakfast buffet was ok, but what can you expect when not so many guests? Some days there was no buffet but you could order from the menu.

This hotel is not better than an average 3 star hotel. I'm sorry to say that. There are so many things to shape up. You can't afford to make all this blunders if you you claim to play in the upper scale!

5 Thank Ingwar E
First of all we must say thank you of choosing us to stay for almost a week. With my double reading from the very start to the very end, I am very sorry and sad to note that you have an anger feeling remained with you after your checking out from our property. Your negative comments will be of course our treasure for us to make it even better and be more watchful of some minor details in order to make it reach to the perfection stage in both area of services and functions. However, for your praise on Restaurant Outlet, I already passed it on to our Deputy FB Manager. We thank you for this.

As a hard working people, I don’t deny that we made a mistake sometimes. However, what I am certain about me myself and my working people is we all try so hard to do it best and if we did it wrong, we have never hesitated to make it right promptly.

During your stay, I observed you smile and seemed to be happy everyday. Some bothersome event while you were staying in here, you let us know and we did improve it and make it on track to keep you and other guests happy. Thus, please allow me to go one by one.

1. The driver with his car picked you up at the airport is our outsource driver. He is a good driver who is always eager and attentive to serve our guests with his sincerity. We think that it should be more than enough. With Volvo, but still take you safely to the hotel with his nice greeting and smile, sorry to say that. Somehow it does not really matter how it looks but it is a matter of how it function and make you feel special.

2. Your room was inspected by other people previously made you waited a bit longer. We apologized for this matter. Please to be kind to listen what I will explain. We had an inspection appointment with agent at 2 pm. and normally we will take our agents to inspect every room type. Only your room, as Suite Room type, that could be inspected at that time. Since some other Suite Rooms are occupied and some are on maintenance so we decided to put it the same room of yours. You told it “a lie” You could said that but please understand it was actually a “white lie” and we didn’t want you to feel bad of saying the truth that “Can you please wait a bit longer because we need to take our agent to inspect your room first?” They just came in that room not more than 5 minutes. When finish, our staff asked you that your room was ready and she would be right there to escort you to the room. You said “Later” because you wanted to take your time drinking in the restaurant first. In addition, you mentioned the son of owner, I don’t know how you know who is the son of the owner. Everyone worked and had no privilege from the owner. We just hope you will be generous enough to also understand our side too.

3. The shuttle bus missed to take you back and made you waited 20 minutes. This was our mistake and we took it to improve. As soon as we noted your complaints of the thing, we gave a complimentary fruit plate to you with an apologized card. You said it was fine now. I noted it later on after you checked out that our staff informed you about money (60 Baht) refunded back to you for Tuk Tuk that you took it back to the resort but on the other hand you said that “The feeling is much more important” made our staff thought you did not want money back and you could be feel really bad of the situation if we still repeated to return that amount back. Then we did not say the thing twice. At the time of your checking out, our Assistance FO Manager printed the bill, you mentioned nothing about that money so we didn’t want to bring it back to make you felt terrible once again. When you reached back home, you emailed back to the resort that you just checked the bill and found out that 60 Baht did not refunded back to you so you wanted the amount back. We responded back to you later within 3 hours of the same day after got your email that we would return it back to you and mentioned how we would make it back to you. Thus, please be kind not to say we tell you a lie. I am pretty sure of miscommunication between us made we both misunderstood. You mentioned a lot about one of owner family. To be fair, I think it has nothing to do with owner family because we believe we do it in systematic management. Even 5 of 6 stars hotel can make a mistake. I, as a General Manager, was standing there and remembered that I had a conversation with you and gave you my big apology just right there.

4. For door bell that you heard is an automatic door bell that we attached it in our Mini Shop to make it fine for our guests when buying stuff. Since our staff will not all the time stand by at Mini Shop. With this way, our GSA will acknowledge and ready to serve and be just right there to answer your question and request. We choose to test it at that time because not so many guests in the resort and we might test it by lacking our knowledge of the cause of annoying noise to you. Once you informed us, we listened and interacted by asking you back for this disturbance and every test we were doing all stopped in that minute. We apologized for this event but please be noted that we were prompt to mend and made it back to the right direction immediately. The one who test it is Engineer and me. It has nothing to do with the Son of the Owner. Please to inform you.

5. For the resort’s fumigation, we did it twice a month and we will inform on board at lobby and put the message on our guests’ bed 2 days earlier to make them planned. The mistake came up when our fumigation team we have hired came later than we both set. During the time, our Technician followed up and blamed the manager of a team and still made it late for 2 hours. They actually came at 3.00 pm. (not 4 pm.) but he did other process and smoked at 4.00 pm. as you observed. On that day I did not show up because I had a business trip in BKK. Once I was back a day later and noted for the message from my Technician, I called the team manager and complained a lot that he kept promising not to make it happen again. On the day later (which is your checking out day) our Assistance Front Manager posted the message of big cleaning of swimming pool and inform for closing it at 10.40 pm. onwards as planned. After posting it on board, some of our guests complained about the day-before situation that we were not on time as announced made them not to use the pool. After acknowledged the entire previous day situation and for the other complaints on big cleaning of the swimming pool, I thus inform my staff to change it to be a day later. That was the truth behind the event. I did not deny of my staff’s faulty not previously inform the big cleaning day in advance one day earlier. For the fumigation team’s dispunctuality, even out of our control, we are still say “sorry” and will be much more be careful and have a second plan always. We wish you have some compassion to understand the situation.

6. For the turn-down, we don’t have it as you mentioned. Please understand that even we are 4-star hotel. Each hotel has unique characteristic and policy. For an insect repellant, it is upon request and you can always ask for it with our Front Desk. We have the reason not to put it at your hand in room.

7. For newspaper that you mentioned, normally the newspaper will come earlier day before (eg. For Thai Newspaper dd. 4th October 2012 will come on 3rd October 2012 but For Bangkok Post it will come on time) The newspaper delivery guys will deliver it in the afternoon and our Bell Boy will put it on rack at 4.00 pm. This to make it a bit delay and guests still can keep it up with the news before. However, with your useful observation, I will change it to put it promptly.

8. Your remark on the worldwide clock not accurate, as recheck with my IPhone, it works well and accurate. Please to be informed this.

We really thank you for all your watching that make us improve. We are not trying to make any excuse but to ask for a space to clarify the truth of our side. Many comments are really good to make us be more detailed and foresee the situation. We promise to keep it improved. We wish that you will somehow write some positive review regarding how willingly we tried to make you happy, how much of our effort to solve the problem promptly while you stayed in here, how we coordinated with team member to buy some specific vegetable that we not normally stock but requested by you to make you a special meal.

Last but not least, with your criticizing develop us a motivation to make it to the excellent and outstanding stage for all of our guests. Thank you.

If we still your choice, we are glad, and always, we welcome your returns in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

Aonang Phu Petra Resort was the first stop of our honeymoon trip in Thailand and it was a great resort to start off the trip. Helpful and pleasant staff who can speak passable english. The room was beautifully made with romantic flower decorations. The best part was the big spacious romantic bathroom. The resort is located slightly away from the main road, which made it very quiet and peaceful, but means you would have to take the shuttle or tuk tuk to and from the town which is about 5mins drive away.
Overall had a pleasant stay.

3 Thank Amos H
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Dear our lovely guests:

It's our appreciation to hear that you have a very nice stay with us. Thank you for loving our property. We love to note that you will come back here again when you visit Krabi.

Thank you again and we look forward to your soonest return.

Singapore
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This is my 2nd return to Aonang Phu Petra Resort at Krabi. A very nice cosy place by the cliff with a tasty decoration & pleasant interior design, where comfort & relaxing calm & breeze meets your eyes.

I like this place for the tranquility which greets me back in 2010 & then now 2012. It simply has a special refine feeling to the whole enviroment. Although I must say the location is indeed very inconvenient for those who don't drive,(we always rent a car thus no worries for us) as its deep into a narrow jungle lane. But good point is they provide shuttle service out to the beach. The spacious concept of their rooms & toilets are a plus point & the mosquito hazard back in 2010 has lessen alot.

To us, the most surprising moment is the 2 fresh coconuts in our fridge to welcome our return with special wordings in our names. Then an upgrade of room near to the poolside. Next is when we went out the next whole day for rock climbing & deposit our room key at the reception, they could immediately recognize us upon return & pass us the key, follow up with fresh towels & toiletries supply. From these little details, you'll see & know how much the mgmt looks into great hospitality & customer orientated service with a smile.

For such nice environment, gd service as a plus point & tranquility surrounding. No doubt we'll be going back again if we visit Krabi in 2013.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank rhunt1
Dear our valuable guests:

It's our honorable to serve our return guests. All guests are very important but our return guests become our "VIP" guests. We definitely remember every return guest. We delight to know that you were surprised with our care on minor details. From special coconut with your name acknowledgement in the fridge to noting your name instantly when see your face are what we always do to our guests.

Thank you for giving very positive comments. Thank you for placing your trust on us in your second return and for the next next returns.

We promise to maintain our hospitality standardization and of course climb it up to one step beyond.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I have been home from Thailand for 1 day and I'm already missing the place, the food and the people. We stayed at the Phu Petra for 7 nights and the service we received from the staff from the time we arrived to when we left was great. The setting is just fantastic. The resort is small but our room was great, we stayed in one of the Majestic suites over 70 square meters of comfort. The resort feels secluded but you are less than 10 minutes from the main shopping strip and resturants via shuttle. The veiw of the mountains at the rear of the resort is just amazing. We also dined at the resort on a number of nights and the food was just fantastic, highly recommend the Chicken with Holy Basil Leaf and the Shrimp Patties. My wife made good use of the Spa Treatments on offer and I had my first Thai massage and enjoyed it a lot. I would highly recommend the Phu Petra if you are looking for place to relax and want to be away from the main drag. Many thanks to all at the Resort.

Room Tip: The Majestic Suite was great, plenty of space.
2 Thank Greg D
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Dear our beloved guests:

Very delightful we are to read from the very start to the end. We appreciate to note that you had stunning and wonderful stays with us. We ensure to keep brainstorming to maintain our standardization in both function and hospitality aspects.

Please make your returns here whenever you come back to Krabi. We are very welcome to serve you with our warmest Thai services.

Thank you again for your very positive review and please be noted one thing that it's our job to make you happy.

Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed at Phu Petra for 10 nights while on a two week trip around Thailand. We took a while to choose our hotel in Krabi because we were there for a while and wanted a relaxing stay that would be special and not in a busy location. After looking at most hotels in Ao Nang we feel that we definitely made the right decision with Phu Petra. The hotel is stunning with amazing views of the limestone cliffs. It is located on a quiet road off the main Ao Nang strip, just a few minutes ride by car. We chose to use the free hotel shuttle bus to get into the centre of Ao Nang every night and it was a great service. It ran on the hour and 9.20pm was the last return to the hotel. The return journey was very early for us as we like to go out in the evenings but it was not hassle getting a tuk tuk ride back to the hotel at what ever time we wanted. It only cost around 40 baht per person which is under £1. We stayed at this hotel as a group of six (three couples) and booked hillside villas. The rooms were all fantastic and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was a highlight as were the spacious rooms and beds. You definitely get the feeling that you are staying in a quality villa and the grounds of the hotel and scenic views were spectacular. As we stayed in the low season it looked like the hotel was doing some work to the back of our villas but this was discreetly hidden with a green fence and it didn't affect the look or peacefulness of the hotel. The only thing we did experience on some nights was a constant droning or humming noise from the back of the hotel. We weren't sure if it was coming from our hotel but it was a bit of annoyance on the two nights we heard it. We put it down to a generator or an air conditioning unit. It did only happen a couple of nights during our stay so wasn't enough for us to complain about it. We stayed bed and breakfast at the hotel and found it to be quite good. There wasn't as much choice as other hotels we've stayed in though but it may have been because the hotel was relatively quiet when we stayed. We ate lunch in hotel restaurant a couple of times too and it was delicious with great views of the pool and cliffs. The hotel is immaculate throughout and our rooms were cleaned everyday. The housekeeping staff were wonderful and very polite. In fact all the staff were very friendly and made our stay even more memorable. We loved this hotel for its surroundings and location. If you're looking for a hotel that's a cut above the rest, quiet but not too far from all the action, then we would highly recommend this hotel. We saw a couple of families during or stay too and think it would be an excellent hotel for families with young children. We had a great stay and are all wishing we were still sat by the pool in the middle of paradise!

Room Tip: The pool is raised some of the villas won't overlook the pool we noticed. If you want a room wit...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank katyeb84
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear our beloved guests:

I can not really find any words to say how much appreciation after read your comments from start to the end. It really fills our spirit to keep on working not just the best, but our passion to make it even "one step beyond" of our high standard. We promise not just to remain but to climb up.

For your minor remark on droning or humming noise happened only couple nights that you assumed it might come from generator or air conditioner, We guarantee for definitely no construction after 5.00 pm. (For other guest's information: construction only hold in some period during low season. It is not in the resort itself but at the back of resort and hardly creat any noise. We everytime inform guests in advance to every details before any construcions have been made) For your assumption, I believe it is the sound of generator. During your stay, we did test some functions of generator. Sorry for that event annoyed you.

For the rest, we are more than happy to hear many very positive reviews from you. Thank you very very much.

We look forward to your next returns this soonest!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed at the Phu Petra resort for 5 nights in August. From the initial welcome with drink and chilled towels, to our day of departure, we received excellent service. The resort is small and very peaceful, however this in no way detracts from it. We initially had a poolside villa, which was very spacious with a very large bathroom, comfortable bed and free wifi. Due to a minor problem with the bathroom door being hard to open, we were upgraded for the remainder of our stay. The upgraded villa included a lounge area and was extremely comfortable.
The staff were always polite and chatty, and keen to help in any way possible. We ate in the restaurant on 2 occasions, and both times had a nice meal in a fantastic setting overlooking the pool area with a backdrop of the cliffs. We took part in the cookery course offered by the hotel and both enjoyed the experience, we have since cooked the meals again for friends to great acclaim. The resort is about 1.5km from the beach but a free shuttle service is laid on throughout the day to about 9pm at night. Despite being monsoon season, we had glorious weather throughout our stay,
This resort was the best accommodation of the 3 hotels we stayed in. We will definitely be returning to the Phu Petra resort.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom_and_Mark
Vipada, General Manager at Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear our lovely guests:

It's so pleasure to hear that you had a super best experience staying with us. We are glad that we are outstanding of all. Our promise for not taking any halt but will go beyond and climb it up over of our guests' expectation.

Your returns are very much appreciated. We look forward to those dates.