“Lovely huts in Ton Sai”

Ranked #107 of 122 Ao Nang B&B and Inns
Southampton
“Lovely huts in Ton Sai”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is probably where Trip Advisor falls down - you have to realise that the rating is relative to what is available, and in Ton Sai, you're pretty limited! So this is 'very good' compared to everything else - it isn't 5* and nothing here is!

It is climber/backpacker heaven and as such doesn't really have any 'luxury' hotels - and it's all the better for it! We didn't book ahead and so had a walk around a few places which range from very simple bamboo huts with communal bathrooms (for around £4 a night) to slightly more 'high end' bungalows (around £20 a night) and a few concrete rooms in between. We were looking for a room for 3 so were a bit more limited and probably did end up overpaying! Our room was 500baht (£10ish) but the extra bed was 700baht - this seems pretty standard and as we were on a 2 week holiday and not backpacking on a shoestring, we didn't mind paying a bit more for a nice place!

The wooden huts are pretty roomy and have mosquito screens on the windows so you don't need to bother with a net. They are simple but clean, with crisp bed linen and tiled floors. The bathrooms are ok (typical Thai style slightly botched plumbing!) with cold showers and western loos. We stayed in a fan room which is really all you need, electricity here only runs overnight so you wouldn't be able to use aircon half the time anyway. (Saying this, 2 of us did return for the last few days of our holiday and got an aircon room for a treat - it was pretty nice to be cold at night!!).

The staff were pretty friendly and there is a little shop at the entrance to the resort. There is a super cheap linen service and free wifi too (though this obviously only works when the electricity is on).

Mountain View is on the Western side of Ton Sai, part way round the 'horse shoe' (the one track that runs back in to the jungle away from the beach and is only a 5 minute walk from the beach. I would definitely recommend if you have a little more to spend and want a simple, clean place to stay. Just don't expect luxury!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed at the Mountain View Resort 2 years ago when I first came to Ton Sai. This time I came right before high season so I actually payed less than I did 2 years ago! Having been here before it was exactly what I was expecting the second time around: clean bungalows, relatively comfy beds, good water pressure, cozy porch and, despite what I've read in other reviews, really pleasant management. If I needed anything, they were always helpful and swift in my requests. I had my laundry done a few times, always came back in great condition when they said it would. You'd probably pay much less for a similar place in other areas of Thailand, but if you come to Ton Sai, know you pay a premium for the amazing atmosphere of the rock-climbing, chill-out paradise. I'd def stay here again. In low season.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Room was fairly nice and location was good as it was very easy to get to everything in the area but then again everywhere is so close together that isnt hard.
Electricity only from 6pm to 6am is irritating but ok if you plan your charging.
The resort was quite pretty and well kept but we couldnt shake off the idea that with just a little morre effort the resort would be awesome. They had a raise restaurant/bar area that was closed full of building stuff and a pool table and chairs pilled up - if they just opened a bar here itd be much better.
No wifi but you have only a few places in this area that do unfortunately.
Decent pl

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This place was tarnished by an extremely rude and
Unreasonable man who was there at reception . I left the resort very unhappy indeed with the unfair treatment I was shown. If the owner or anyone there would like to speak with me further I would be happy to speak with them in more detail. It is a shame, I travelled through Thailand for nearly 3 months, and this was the most
Disappointing experience I had. Shame on you sir..
I would not recommend this place to anyone because of the way I was treated. And I agree with previous comments about the deceptive way they show you rooms.. It was clear to me that this man accepted no responsibility for customer satisfaction at all, which I find
Appalling considering the price of a room.
Go  2 minutes up the road here in tonsi beach,  you will find better concierges, and cheaper prices..and hopefully better Experiences then the one I had here.

• Stayed November 2012

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Reviewed 13 November 2012

These rooms are fine to stay in but for the price paid, it was terrible. When I inspected the room it had an air con which I had to ask about before I was told it didn't work, that was ok with me but when I go to have a hot shower and I'm told there is a 200baht extra fee to have hot water thats when my view of Mountain View Resort (Tonsai) really changed. The reception manager was very rude and didn't care about my disappointment in the room. The only alternative he gave me was to leave the resort with no refund after I had only been there for a few hrs. The rooms are deceptive. It's fine to have no aircon and no hot water but not when you pay a high price because it looks as though you have these luxuries.
I would recommend anyone wanting a little more comfort than a simple bungalow spend the 1200baht and stay in the more modern apartment style bungalows on the right side of TonSai, or the small 300baht bungalows are simple and good too. (60m up from basecamp corner).
Overall, the worse service by far in my 9 weeks backpacking all throughout Thailand.

• Stayed November 2012
K_Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Tonsai beach is like a lost hippie heaven from the 70's. The beach is gorgeous. The atmosphere is laid back and anything goes. The crowd is a mixture of backpackers and climbers. There are budget accommodation options galore. Mountain View Resort is one of the "higher-end" options. By higher end, it's all relative! Compared to the standard bamboo wall/concrete floor/insect-filled bungalows near the beach, Mountain View offered slightly more in terms of having concrete walls/screened windows/tiled bathroom. It still only has cold showers and limited electricity. I paid 800 baht per night in one of the newer rooms. Steep, but the location and the vibe of the place makes up for the shortcomings. Tonsai is one of those places where time runs at a different pace, you relax on the beach, and before you know it, days have gone by...

Room Tip: I had room 129, the rooms along that row are bigger, newer and more expensive