“Brilliant hostel with the best staff”
Review of Glur Hostel

Glur Hostel
Reviewed 22 November 2013

What a hostel, with clean rooms (we were in an 8 bed dorm), privacy curtains, a wardrobe (you never expect this) and a locker that you can put your whole bag and more in. Absolutely the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Showers and toilets the cleanest I've been to in Thailand (OK that's not hard to beat) but fantastic. I'd happily stay here again.

Staff...simply the best! Understanding of our late arrival (due to weather), helpful and genuinely felt like we were not an inconvenience at all. Helpful getting us to our next destination at a decent price with a pick up from the hostel too.

Room Tip: Choose an 8 bed dorm, you get to meet new people but not like other dorms where you're worried a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Best hostel ever. They have literally thought of everything you could possibly ask for. Take advantage of the awesome living quarters. Get out of your bunk and enjoy! The owners are genuine and amazing. Ryk helps manage it and he too is1 in a million. Pool should be ready by now. have fun.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My friend an I stayed at Glur and really loved it despite being unimpressed with Ao Nang as a whole. The dorms are spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and quiet. Shared bathrooms also really clean.
Staff are pretty friendly and I especially need to highlight the fantastic eatery within the hostel called The Sandwich Market. Not a 'party vibe' hostel if that's what you're searching for but a great, chilled spot.
A word of advice if you are planning on heading to Koh Lanta from Ao Nang: TAKE THE FERRY! Don't take a shuttle -Yes its cheaper but you could lose up to a whole day in travel versus a couple of hours on the ferry

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amber J
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My sister and I stayed in the 2 Glur Shared Bath room for 3 nights in July 2013 and we really enjoyed our stay there. Our private room is spacious with comfortable double decker bunk beds and adequate facilities.

What I love about my (2 Glur Shared Bath) room:
- Cosy and spacious room
- Comfortable double decker bunk bed for 2 persons with personal reading lights
- Clean linens, towels, pillows and bedsheets
- Clear reception satellite TV and DVD player
- Decent writing table and chair
- Large mirror on the wall
- Air-conditioned
- Huge lockers with personal hanging closets that could fit two full grown men in it!
(Tips: The lock and key are not provided so, do bring/use your own lock and key)
- Windows with a lovely view
(On a personal note, I cannot stand being in a room without windows)
- Excellent wifi reception and speed
(A very important feature/facility for me)

The little glitches of the room:
- For those who are not as agile as a monkey, it is wise to sleep in the lower section of the bed for climbing down/up to the top section of the bed could be a daunting, possibly a dangerous task especially when you are drunk. I nearly fall off twice when climbing down the bed; both occasions when I was sober!
- The remote control of the air-conditioner in the room was not working well so I was unable to control the temperature of the room but that did not bother me at all for I slept through the night like a log; exhausted from the exciting activities of the day
- Other than the above, I could not find any other fault with the room. I just love it to bits!

The shared bathrooms are just a stone's throw away from the rooms. They are clean and well-maintained by the hostel's management. Unlike the other shared bathrooms/toilets that I experienced before, this one requires no queuing at all because there is enough bath cubicles and toilets to go round for all. However, the water pressure can be quite low sometimes especially when there are a lot of people using the bathrooms simultaneously.

Also, since the bathrooms are located outdoors, insects such as ants, beetles, grasshoppers, and not forgetting the mosquitoes can be seen roaming around in and out of the bathrooms, but that does not bother me at all. I still enjoy taking showers in the bath cubicles, cleverly avoiding those with creepy crawlies inside.

Getting to Glur Hostel from Krabi airport is really easy. First, by taxi which costs about 600 Baht per taxi/journey. Second, by shuttle bus which costs about 150 Baht per person. Both the taxi and shuttle bus will be waiting outside of the airport. Just inform the taxi driver/bus conductor your destination by telling him/her the name of your hostel/hotel and they'll drop you off right in front of the property.

This Thai sentence was provided by the hostel management for my convenience:
“ เกลอ โฮสเทล ซอยอ่าวนาง 11/1 (ซอยกรีนวิว รีสอร์ท ตรงข้ามมัสยิดอ่าวนาง) เข้าซอยมา 200เมตร อยู่ขวามือ ”.

It means “Glur Hostel. Soi (it means lane) Aonang 11/1 (or Soi Greenview Resort, opposite of Aonang mosque.) About 200 meters from the main street and on the right side.” I took the shuttle bus to Glur Hostel and I must say, I enjoyed the 20-30 minutes scenic ride very much.

Many travellers/backpackers commented that the hostel is located slightly far from Aonang Beach as compared to the other hostels or hotels in the area however, the distance will not be a problem if you do not mind a healthy 20-30 minutes walk. Some healthy dose of exercise will do wonders to your health or you can take a tuk tuk ride to the beach and back for a mere THB 80 per single trip.

It is a pity that their famous sandwich market is closed for renovation during my stay there else I would love to sink my teeth in those mouth-watering sandwiches/burgers that are highly recommended by fellow backpackers/travellers who stayed there before.

There's a 7-Eleven convenience store, laundry shop, some eateries, massage parlour as well as a live band reggae bar within walking distance on the main street. Overall, my stay at Glur Hostel was awesome! We highly recommend this superb hostel to our family and friends when they visit Krabi, Thailand.

Room Tip: Fellow backpackers will find joy in staying in the comfortable dorms while those who prefer more pri...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank erikatoh
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was my firt hostel experience and wow it will be tough to beat.
Staff were fantastic and very helpful and even let us borrow their laptop to have a look where we were going to move on to.
The rooms were very clean and tidy with excellent air conditioning.
The communial toilets and showers were very clean and of an excellent standard.
Breakfast in the mornings was brilliant - eating breakfast whislt listening to the monkeys.

Short walk down to the shops, resturants and beach meant that it was nice and quite but not too far away from it all.

Would reccomend to anyone visiting and would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KimR2b
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Really chilled vibe in this hostel. A concrete enclosure out in a country lane. Everything is spotless and the toilet and shower facilities are large clean and modern.

The highlight was the staff. Great English and weren't putting on a friendly face but genuinely kind and informative from check in to check out.

The downside is the location. A 2 min stroll down a poorly lit country lane brings you to the main road. Another 20 mins into town past restaurant, bar and tailor reps which was quite tiring on our 3rd night.

The common room with infinite tea and coffee and bananas and DVDs is a great money saving way to chill with travellers although it was quiet during our stay.

Strong WiFi everywhere

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Podgemonster
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Very beautiful and budget hostel, but a bit far from the beach. Stuff can book any trip to the islands, book a taxi or bus to other regions, and you'll get a pick up. I was very happy with included breakfast and big tv in the common area. The guys have lots of movies, magazines and books to kill the time during the rain.
Thank you, I enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo