“nice enough, but untrustworthy cleaning staff.”

N.S. Mountain Beach Resort
Ranked #97 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Ao Nang
Krabi
“nice enough, but untrustworthy cleaning staff.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

The rooms were nice, and the pool area was okay..although an unfinished boarded up bar sat in the corner. If you don't mind the apathetic son driving you to town every morning in the back of a pickup, which is expected, but not at high speeds. We just about flew out the back on a few occasions and knocked on the back window, but he just repeated the next day. On day 3 when my boyfriend had accidently left one of his bags out and his Vietnam war lighter and multitool were gone when we returned from town, we didn't appreciate having to confront staff, only to be met with a "that's not possible" denial. Quite a meaningful gift lost. Look closer to Ao Nang, there is much more caring and trustworthy places I'm sure.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I usually rely quite heavily on hotel reviews that other people have written when booking any trip. On this occasion, I was in a hurry, so I booked a decent looking, mid-range priced hotel, something I regretted as soon as I set foot in this 'resort'.
Usually I find that the only people who write hotel reviews are those who have had an amazing time, or those who have had an awful time. I, unfortunately, am in the latter of those 2 groups. I spent only 2 nights at N.S. Mountain beach resort, but that was more than enough. I would have left the night I arrived had it been an option.

While I can appreciate that the hotel is in a remote area, and therefore bugs and things are likely to pop up here and there, I was not happy to spend the night in a room covered in lizards. I also didn’t appreciate the attitude of the staff when I asked to change rooms. I was laughed at, and it was blatantly obvious that the staff were ridiculing me openly in their own language.
The staff member who I told about the lizards agreed that it was likely the lizards had entered the room either through a large hole in one of the floorboards, of through the door (which didn't close properly). We moved rooms twice as a result, and ended up in a room much cheaper than the one we paid for.
The 'private plunge pool' we were supposed to have (and paid extra for), turned out to be nothing more than a stagnant basin of dirty water that looked as though I might catch some sort of disease if I dared to get into it.
The 'restaurant' was also an absolute joke. A staff member took my order of a burger and fries, which I could see her preparing in the 'kitchen' from my table.
I sat and watched in disgust as she spread mayonnaise on the burger bun WITH HER FINGERS. I then watched on in horror as she then dropped the burger meat ON THE FLOOR as she attempted to flip the burger onto the bun. THEN, she picked it up, looked around quickly to see if anyone noticed, and PUT IT BACK ON THE BUN!!!
Clearly I wasn't going to eat food that had been on a dirty floor, but when I complained to the staff about the meal that I witnessed being prepared in the most unsanitary fashion, the staff member who served it started to laugh loudly.
Seeing the look of utter disgust on my face, he quickly fetched the manager, to whom I explained our situation. While apologetic, he did nothing else to suggest that the staff member would be punished for her unsettling lack of hygiene, leading me to believe that this isn't the first time such a thing has happened at this hotel.
The staff, with the exception of 1 helpful young lady at the front desk, were extremely unpleasant to deal with. When we first went to request a room change, we were passed on to a staff member who hassled us for a very long time about booking various trips with him. After a while we realised that no-one was actually trying to help us sort out the room, and this man just wanted our money. We also found out from other guests that the same trips he was hassling us about are much cheaper to book everywhere else in the town.
As a result of the abysmal service I received in this poorly-run establishment, I left feeling ridiculed, ripped off and angry that I wasted even 2 days of my holiday there.
I would not recommend this hotel to other people and I can only hope that the manager reads this review and it shames him into making some serious staffing changes.

Room Tip: I chose the most expensive room (with plunge pool) which turned out to be the worst. It had wooden d...