I have always had a thing for Mercure hotels and I try to stay in one whenever I can. Opportunity presented itself when the wife & I made a last minute plan to visit Krabi in Nov 2011. This was prompted by a need to cut short our trip to Bangkok on account of the 'impending floods'.
While traveling from the airport to the hotel, our cabbie & we had a tough time finding the 'Mercure' hotel in Ao Nang. Apparently the locals know it as 'Deevana' so it may be worthwhile stating that upfront instead of calling it the Mercure hotel or something.
The hotel is not exactly situated 'close' the Ao Nang beach - that would stretching the imagination a bit. It's a good 25 minute walk from Ao Nang at any rate, though the hotel operates a shuttle service to ferry guests to & fro the beach. Ao Nang is a quiet little place with none of the 'excitement' (to put it mildly) of Phuket and that suited us just fine - since what we really wanted was a nice romantic getaway. Krabi / Ao Nang really is a 'couples' place and we will be visiting again.
The hotel itself is located at a fair distance from the main road. The roads are not very well lit and the tuk-tuks tend to quote exorbitant rates. Thankfully, the walk seemed safe enough - and we ended up walking on most occasions.
Our welcome included a welcome drink and a quick overview of the hotel premises & amenities. The hotel benefits from a very interesting design sense, very aesthetic and chic. The room was clean and reasonably well furnished. The shower in our room was busted - something that the hotel should have checked before allotting us the room - getting it repaired actually took longer than I would have liked.
Every room has a nice balcony, which doesn't offer much of a view (unless you want to see other balconies) apart from the pool below. The staff is very courteous and polite but (at that time and seems the hotel was very new) seemed not too knowledgeable. The only negative point was when I ended up falling badly ill (owing to a snorkeling trip going awry) and the staff being completely clueless about how I could get to a doctor. Luckily for all of us, I recovered fully the next morning.
Our package included breakfast and we positively dug into it. Couldn't help feeling that some of the items could have used lesser egg than they did but it was perfectly good otherwise.
All in all, it's a very nice place and at that time, quite reasonably priced. When we visit Ao Nang again, the Mercure Krabi Deevana will definitely be the first hotel we consider for our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang offers chic accommodation in contemporary low-rise buildings located a short distance from Ao Nang Beach. With 213 stylish rooms and suites, each with a private balcony, you can enjoy the resort's excellent facilities and benefit from gracious and personalized service from the welcoming Deevana team. The brand new resort features an exceptional restaurant and bars, three outdoor swimming pools, a kid's pool, a restful and rejuvenating spa, and outstanding meetings and events facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Krabi Deevana Hotel Ao Nang
- Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang Ao Nang