“Best cook school”

Krabi Thai Cookery School
Ranked #2 of 4 Food & Drink in Ao Nang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hands-on Thai cooking course by the renowned chef "Ya" in Ao Nang since 1995.
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

After travelling around Thailand on a cookery holiday for 2 weeks this was the last for us to visit and THE BEST! Ya is an amazing lady, very patient and funny. The lesson was very informative and she was aware that we had been cooking elsewhere and tailored our lesson so that we didnt cook something we had done before
Then we got to eat what we made... Fabulous

There are newer reviews for Krabi Thai Cookery School

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Ya's way of teaching makes cooking even more fun! :) In just a few hours 6 of us managed to whipped out 7-8 dishes and we even get to takeaway the food. When I brought the food back to my new friends in my Hostel, they were full of praises on all dishes and finished all of it! :) One of the Highlights of my Krabi Trip!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

A great finale to our Krabi vacation. My wife (and daughter) wanted to do a Thai cooking class since forever, and after looking at a few of the classes online here in Krabi, we decided to go with Krabi Thai Cookery School. Our hotel even booked the 2-6pm class (and the transport!) and it turned out we got a private lesson. Over that period we learned how to make about numerous dishes, most importantly 3 different curries, some soups, stir fry's and finally green papaya salad and the famous Pad Thai. There was so much food we even had enough for dinner later that evening.

Ya is quite the character and is full of stories, doing all this while demonstrating how to chop, prepare and cook your dishes. She even tells you what to substitute if you can't find the authentic Thai ingredients.

One note: this class is NOT for beginning chefs. It helps if you know your way around a chopping board, sharp knife and saute pan.

Overall, it was some of the best (and freshest) Thai food we had all trip.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

What a great afternoon we had!! My mum and I wanted to do a Thai cooking class and so our hotel recommended Ya's, Krabi Thai Cookery School and what an experience. We booked in for the 1-6pm class (cause this was going to be our dinner) along with about another 18 students of all ages and culinary expertise. Over that 5 hour period we learned how to make about 9 dishes starting with spring rolls, and mango sticky rice, followed by 4 curries, a few other dishes and a couple of soups and rounding out with Pad Thai. I have never seen so much food!! Unfortunately i had turned up with a bad stomach that day, but i still made it through the day both eating some and tasting the rest. we even took food home with us for dinner the next night!
Ya has a well established CV and has cooked in Indonesia, Luxembourg and Bangkok with Gordon Ramsey even rocking up to her kitchen here in Krabi. She is also quite the character and makes the afternoon extremely entertaining. By the end of the evening we were all exhausted but are now 'qualified' to make quality thai dishes (we will see!!!). So if you want to do a Thai cooking class, look no further!! What a great afternoon, cooking and meeting some more great people!!!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Ya is more interested in talking about herself than she is about teaching you how to cook. I felt like the cooking class was an assembly line. we did not completely cook one dish ourselves. At one point my son and I watched while others cooked in front of us. In the class we chopped all the vegetables for all the dishes, then while we were put in front of a pot on a burner, other people working for the cooking school, came by turning the heat up or down adding ingredients telling you to stir, adding ingredients that you were not even sure what they were. ( I had to ask several times what we were making and what was being added to the dishes that we were supposed to be learning how to make. Then before you knew what happened you were sitting down to eat food, made by the staff mostly and not sure what was what. very little instruction. I have been to another cooking school in Chaing mai that was completely different. we made all the food ourselves and ate what we made. We learned about the ingredients and how to choose good fruit and veg. and how to substitute ingredients. If you want to actually learn how to cook a meal, I would not waste your money at Ya's. If you want an overpriced meal (where you chop the vegetables) and you pay extra for water, this is what you will get.

4  Thank LisaW65IH