“Excellent massages, Awful hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ao Nang
Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery
Ranked #20 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Ao Nang
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent massages, Awful hotel”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Having read all the positive reviews on tripadvisor, I was expecting a decent place to stay. However, there were many problems with my stay at Aonang Haven.

Firstly, the positive things: the location was good, and the room itself was fine. The massages were certainly the best thing about this place, and I would definitely recommend getting one here! On my first night I booked two treatments: a massage and a foot scrub. The massage was lovely, and afterwards I waited for the foot scrub, but by this time the reception area had filled with people deliberating over what treatments to get. The owner told me that I would have to have the foot scrub 'another time' as it was busy now, which I was a little upset about as it was obvious that although I was a guest in the hotel, and had booked 4 hours in advance, they were happy to cancel my booking in favour of a group of people who had just walked in.

In the morning, I woke up for breakfast which had been included in the price of the room, only to be told when I came downstairs that there was no breakfast, and instead I was given a massage voucher. This would have perhaps been ok, except that when I asked if I could use it on the massage I'd already had, I was told this wasn't possible as it was 'a different type of massage'. I felt that this is quite cheeky, since obviously I would not have paid for a massage on my first night had I known that the next day I would be given a free massage voucher. A nice breakfast is available at a nearby cafe, but I think that the owner should change their room description on the online adverts to state that the price actually doesn't include breakfast.

I also found it very strange that the bed had a huge heavy duvet, but no top sheets, so that there was no choice but to have the air con on all night or get very hot under a big duvet. When I asked if they had any sheets available, I was told that no, they didn't! No sheets, in a hotel. I almost went out and bought a sheet so I wouldn't have an uncomfortable night's sleep!

The other thing that happened is that upon returning to my room (barefoot), I stepped in the dog's excrement which he had left outside the door of my room, along with a big puddle of urine. This was absolutely disgusting and really made me want to find another hotel to stay in. When I pointed the mess out to the owner, he wasn't apologetic or attentive at all, which I found very disappointing.

I have to say that I am perplexed at the amount of reviewers calling the owner very friendly and helpful. When I arrived at the hotel, I wasn't told who the owner was and he didn't greet me or introduce himself when he appeared later on, which is surely a basic nicety when running a hotel. He was able to help with the questions I had about Ao Nang, and provided transportation to the airport which was good. However, I found his lack of effort or concern about the shortcomings of my stay (no sheets, no breakfast, poor judgement on voucher offer, stepping in his dog's mess) quite concerning and very off-putting.

I have never written a bad review before but was very shocked at the difference between my experience at this hotel and the overwhelmingly positive reviews here. I would really recommend staying somewhere else in Ao Nang, which I perhaps would have done myself if I was staying longer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sarahwilson22
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Ms Wilson,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. Some things did not meet your expectation and from your words we can tell that there were obviously some miscommunication. Let me take the opportunity to explain.

First, regarding the treatments on your first night, we are sorry that my receptionist made a mistake by underestimating the timing required for your treatment. She had failed to notice that was already a prior reservation for 6 pax. The same group were already with us the night before and had made a reservation so it is incorrect for you to assume that we had happily cut short your treatment in favor to a bigger group. A group of six would not likely be able to fit into our schedule without a reservation and we made that very clear in words on our menu board: "Small group of 5-8 is possible but accepted through reservation only." In any case, we apologize that we did not inform you about it prior to the start of your treatment as all our staff, including me were all occupied during the busy period. Since you were a guest staying 3 nights with us, I made a suggestion for you to have your foot scrub done at another time.

On your first night when you checked in with us past 4pm, our receptionist was the one tasked to receive you while I was away before taking over at 7pm when she goes off from work. She must have had a bad day at work because again she made the error of not checking and informing you of the lack of breakfast in March. We are sorry about this as we were no longer able to supply breakfast in March/April and all our guests who have pre-booked their stay with breakfast included were compensated with massage treatments. We have already adjusted the booking system to reflect only rooms without breakfast. The massage treatment you had the night before was not one of the three type of massages redeemable as correctly stated on the voucher.

We are happy you enjoyed the breakfast at Smiling Dog Cafe which we highly recommend.

Sorry we couldn't help you with your request for the bed sheets. Our beds are fitted with a mattress protector, a fitted sheet and a duvet so we have no flat sheets available. There is also no extra available because the other sets were all sent to the laundry to be prepared for the next turnover of rooms.

Indeed our dog had an 'accident' which unfortunately were found out by you before we did. If I remembered correctly, I did say sorry to you in a jovial manner with the words "Oh no.. What did he do?" before promptly clearing up the mess. What I did not know was that you had step on the dog's excrement before you wrote this review.

I think there were many misunderstanding about what Aonang Haven is ever since good words about us have been spread around by guests who have appreciate and found a nice and different place in Ao Nang, Krabi to stay on their vacation/holiday/retreat. May I please take the opportunity to clarify that we are not a 'hotel' but a guesthouse with only four rooms and a massage room. What our guests like about Aonang Haven is its simplicity, coziness, homeliness, cleanliness and good service. These factors are reflected in the interior design as well as the atmosphere that we create. We are a very good 2-star accommodation so sometimes find it troubling to have guests expecting much more than that by comparing us to 3-4 star hotel and resorts. Guests who meet us half-way often end up as friend while those who come expecting to have everything given to them and more often leave disappointed.

In the two years that we have since open, Andy has never deliberately introduced himself as the owner because doing so would often create an authoritative environment. He works as part of the group unless needed to make important decisions. Our guests mostly discover it for themselves. Of course there are also the more informed who already knew even before arriving.

There is a sign at our door that reads "Please leave your worries at the door, take off your shoes and step inside."

Guests bring with them their personalities and needs. Some independent, some out-spoken, some quiet, some friendly etc. We try our best to meet each guest's expectation whenever we can and if we cannot, it is just a simple 'No'.

Personally, we find it strange that if you have so many problems staying with us, why not tell us about it on each and every opportunity be it when I open the door for you each time you come back, or when you walk past the reception on your way out or during the drive to the airport to pick up your boyfriend on your second day which I brought you personally.

We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication and mishaps during your stay. We hope to continuously improve our communication with guests by educating our staff members as well as posting information and notices.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your massage and the helpful information provided to you about Ao Nang and Krabi

Do you hate us that much to secretly write a poor review for us? The last I saw from you was a smile after personally driving you to the airport on the last day. Perplex is the right word indeed.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Maasbracht
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The hotel is cozy and the rooms are clean and equipped with everything one could need. The hotel is located close to many restaurants and bars of Aonang as well as the beach, yet it is out of reach from the noise of these bars. Therefore the location of the hotel is interesting for various type of travellers, whether one would like going out at night or rather avoid the noise of the nightlife.
In addition, the hotel offers an excellent massage service that really makes you find your inner peace and regain strength after a very hard day on the beach :-). The staff is very friendly and always willing to help and assist.
In short: a great hotel on a great location for a very fair price.

Room Tip: Not every room has a window.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank R T
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you for the review. It was a pleasure being your host during your stay in Krabi. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Hopefully you can bring your parents along on the next visit too.
mendoza
Reviewed 3 March 2013

i arrived to aonang by air and took a bus to the guesthouse.. the owner was really angry because i hadnt taken a taxi, and kicked me out!! i had paid my 50% in advance, which he returned in cash, but still, i didnt have where to stay! luckily aonang has plenty of accomodation, and I got a better and cheaper place few blocks from the beach!
after this, i could see Ao nang haven is overpriced and obsessively managed.. not recommended if you`re looking for some peaceful time, the owner will scold you like a child!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank jotapiazza
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Ms Piazza,

Thank you for your review so that it gives us the opportunity to explain why a guest like yourself is not welcome at Aonang Haven which values integrity, honesty and responsibility among our highest regard. Your selfish and dishonest review has proven our decision correct to dismiss you.

On 21 Dec 2012, we received your 50% deposit payment to guarantee your reservation as well as a request to be picked up from Krabi Airport which we promptly arranged with our trusted transfer provider. Later on 28 Jan 2013, the day before your arrival, you sent us an email to saying that you did not receive the transfer voucher. We then re-confirmed your pick-up arrangement and re-sent the voucher to you so that you can present it to the driver upon pick-up.

The next day on 29 Jan 2013, as we waited for your arrival via the arranged transfer service, we received a call from the transfer provider telling us that our guest was nowhere to be found. We then attempted to contact you through the number you had provided but could only reach a voice message in a foreign language. We were worried that you might have missed your flight or have got into trouble somewhere thus being delayed so we pleaded with our transport provider to have his driver look out for a single female traveler. Ten minutes later, the transfer had to be called off as the driver had to rush back to Ao Nang to service another pick-up.

You later arrived at the guesthouse via the airport shuttle bus after more than an hour. When we queried you about the missed transfer, you said that you did not see anyone picking you up at the airport and had decided to take the airport shuttle bus after noticing that it was cheaper despite knowing that you had a transfer arranged and had not pay for it. There were three phone numbers (transport provider and mine) given to you in case you encounter any problems but you ignored them. Your only reasoning was that you did not have much money and the airport shuttle bus was cheaper so you took it.

We then advised you to pay for the arranged transfer even if you had not indeed used it but you refused by saying it was unfair to you. We then explained to you that it is unfair for the driver to prepare the car, waited for your arrival and even spend time searching for you at the airport. You were uninterested to hear us, insisted on not paying and just wanted to check-in saying you are tired. With that, we decided to dis-acknowledge your reservation, offer you a full refund on your deposit paid and send you on your way. This was all done without any rudeness in any form of voice or speech. We had also prepare to pay for your missed transfer our self but the transfer provider was very kind to refuse our gesture after hearing our explanation. We had loss money from your cancelled booking but we do not want to lose our credibility, integrity and responsibility as well.

We also do not agree with you saying that you had later found another place that is better and cheaper when you have not even stayed with us. However, we do agree with your view of Aonang Haven being obsessively managed because if not, then how are we to give our guests the kind of quality accommodation and service that had earn us a good reputation. We are serious in our work and do not tolerate child's play.

We wish sincerely that you do not ever go trouble and inconvenience another establishment with your inconsiderate, unreasonable and irresponsible attitude. Please learn to respect people in the service line and not try to take advantage of other people's kindness.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The accommodation was spotlessly clean, has nice decor, and conveniently located near Aonang beach and the main tourist area with lots of eating places and bars. The room also came with a very good massage thrown in that was conveniently located in the basement. Excellent!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shsiong
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you for the review. We are delighted that you have found our guest room and massage services to be excellent. We hope to see you again in the near future.
London
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights and have nothing but praise for the place. It literally was a haven. A five minute walk to the beach and at the further end of the main strip, which means it wasn't as noisy as some other places.
The place was spotless, great decor, good amount of space (stayed in a king), andy was so helpful and kind. I was travelling alone for the first time and it was important I felt safe and I certainly felt safe and comfortable here I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank curly555
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We truly appreciate it as each positive review serves as an encouragement for us to make Aonang Haven an excellent and safe place for travelers to Ao Nang, Krabi.
Singapore
Reviewed 31 January 2013

So glad my friend recommended me this place. The room decor is stylish and simple, it's very reasonably priced, and you can enjoy an excellent relaxing massage just in the basement without the fuss of finding another good place outside. There is good wifi access and cable TV so that you can surf through the local and movie channels at night. Andy the owner is thankfully fluent in English so there're no communication barriers at all, and he can help to book your day trips and arrange for transport pickup. The beach is just a 5-10 minute walk away, and along the journey you can check out the food places and do some shopping. And of course everyone adores Vanilla the white dog so loveable and well-behaved!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Classic Balcony King Room on the 4th/top floor, it's spacious and I like sitting...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dana_zincy
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Thank you for the review. We are happy to know that you have had a rejuvenating stay at Aonang Haven and we look forward to welcoming you back again whenever you need a break.
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Gorgeous place to stay, professional helpful staff, fab massage area in basement with expert masseurs, spotless, stylish and a proper "haven" in Ao Nang. Well impressed and highly recommend. AND they have an absolutely adorable beautifully behaved hotel dog called Vanilla. What more do you want?!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank DeirdreMalone
Andessen, Owner at Aonang Haven Guesthouse.Massage.Tea & Gallery, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you for the review. We are always glad to hear that our guest have enjoyed their stay with us. If you ever travel through this part of the world again, please do drop by for a visit. I am sure Vanilla would be happy to see you again too.