“Best Value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 123 Ao Nang B&B and Inns
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Best Value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

My wife and myself booked this place thru the internet after reading the reviews here. We were not disappointed. It is clean, has air conditioning, water heater, safe box and wifi. It's a no frills place to stay for those who need a place to sleep only. Its proximity to the beach is so ideal and with the prices, it'll be hard-pressed to find a better value place. The owner is a very nice person. We absolutely love it.
However, don't use the tour agency as recommended by the owner as you can get a better deal by walking to the pier itself. We got a trip to Phi2 (Bamboo, Lei, Don & snorkelling from boat inc free flowing drinks & lunch) at 1500Baht compared to tour price of 1800Baht.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RanaldK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Extremely kind owner/manager. Ask her to show you her travel agent friend around the corner. We booked a day trip to Phi Phi from her friend, and that agent actually walked over to the guesthouse to tell us the bus to the boat was running a bit late the morning we were supposed to leave. The bus showed up a total of five minutes late - that kind of service just doesn't happen in Thailand in my experience. About the guesthouse: overall, very good. We booked for 3 nights and ended up staying 5 nights. Our room was cleaned one time, but there we no ants at least. The beach is a couple hundred meters from the guesthouse, so the location is good enough. The guesthouse is in an alley with a couple of bars, a couple of restaurants (best fried rice next to right next to Popeyes), a beauty shop, and a massage parlor. There's a 7Eleven 100 meters north bad south of the guesthouse, so technically you could crawl everywhere you needed to go. The only two main 'cons' were the loud music coming from the bar until midnight every night, and their 'comforter' was simply a queen sized towel - not that comforting! But great air con, clean rooms. Try booking through Popeye's directly, there are cheaper rooms than those published/offered on booking websites. And skip Ao Nang beach and go to the one immediately north called Napparat Thara Beach (you have to walk on the street around the big hill/cliff to get to it).

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank ScottEversonRN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

The best place I stayed at in ao nang hands down. Cheap and for the price it was so cute I'm surprised it wasn't more expensive. Very very friendly staff too. Definitely staying there again :) the location is very good too. The rooms are very clean and cute. Wifi in the room plus tv if you want ad ac or fan. I am very happy I found this place! Stay here!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Lanalola
Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

We searched for guesthouses along the road that runs away from the beach and this was the cheapest room out of about 8 places we found without going too far up the road - 600B p/night. We returned here two weeks later passing by and it was full, so in high season I would try prebook or ring to check availability.

The room was joined on to the bar outside but the music wasn't loud at all and we slept through it. It also got turned off at 1am. Our room had a cold shower, bed, bedside table and a tv. You get a blanket to sleep with but we had to use one of our own too.

The lady who runs the place is lovely. She did our washing across the road too for quite cheap. Also, the lady who works on the bar outside is just at lovely and very funny - she lets you play whatever music you want too! Both of them recognised us straight away on our second visit to check availability and when we went to the bar, asking where our friends were etc :)

If you want breakfast go to Yellow Sun (I can't remember the name exactly!) next door, they do cheap breakfasts like pancakes and toast etc and they also have fruit shakes.

Room Tip: You can get a room with a tv and cold shower OR a room with no tv and a hot shower
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark A
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

I have just left Popeye Guesthouse today (but have booked in for 3 more nights at the end of my trip). I stayed with my boyfriend here for 1 week and loved it! The staff are all so friendly and helpful. The guesthouse has everything you need, free wifi everywhere, laundry service, restaurant where you can get a cheap breakfast, 3 mins from the beach.. And the best bar in Ao Nang called Dream bar! It's only a very small bar but it is owned by a lovely Thai lady called Yaya who is so nice and chatty and gets everyone involved. They have a few games like Jenga and the music is played from You Tube so you can put on whatever you want. The prices for everything are very reasonable from the room to the white wine. If your travelling on a budget, this is the place for you!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DollyAsia
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

i stayed there for 1 night with a friend. I called the guesthoues 1 day before I arrived, that I was going to check in late, and woman staff said no problem, she even thanked me for calling & letting her know, so that she'll expect me & save the room for me! That impressed me already :)

The entrance to the room might not look very nice, but it doesnt matter. We chose fan room, and room is very new & clean. Toilet is very clean too, with hot shower. Free wifi worked so great. We slept so well. No problem at all. And it cost only 500 Baht. So, strongly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Oh_Vorapak
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

First up; this isn't a bad place to stay and we had a few things go wrong and that soured our experience a bit.
We have stayed in a lot of accommodation in this price range and maybe we have been spoit up to now!
The good:
Frosty air con
Good tv
Fridge

The bad:
Small
Noisy- from water pipes? Not sure
Toilet leaked- not resolved
No blanket provided.
Recommended a bent travel agent to us

$22/ 700b for a night isn't a lot I know but I do think that this is probably one of the worst ones we have stayed in, in that price range in two months.

The other reviews are definitely right in their positives but maybe I am getting grumpy after being ripped off by travel agent, awake early from noise and wet feet every time I go in the bathroom.

Still it's in a good location and I've seen a lot worse for a lot more!

Sitting firmly on the fence...

• Stayed December 2012
#67 of 123 in Ao Nang
3 Bees Guesthouse
3 Bees Guesthouse
#10 of 123 in Ao Nang

Been to Popeye Guesthouse? Share your experiences!