“Not What We Expected ...”

Aonang Thai Cookery School
Bracknell
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Not What We Expected ...”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have done a number of cookery courses during our various visits to Thailand, but the one we completed at the Ao Nang Thai Cookery School last week would be better described as a demonstration, as there was very little practical input. We found several elements disappointing. The advertising leaflet provided a menu of dishes and indicated that students could choose 5 from the list - this was misleading as there were no individual choices. The teacher expected the class to reach agreement as to what dishes to prepare and despite the small numbers this proved awkward. We were shown how to cut up fresh herbs and veg - but rather than cook each dish individually, the fresh ingredients for all 5 dishes were prepped at the same time. The teacher then asked the class if we minded sharing the same wok / pan for cooking - the emphatic response was that we wanted our own. Despite this mine and my husband's ingredients were tipped into the same basket and as a couple, we were provided with only one pan between us and were expected to share. During the cooking process the teacher added all the wet ingredients and spices herself, and there was little for us to do except stir. On courses elsewhere we were shown how to make curry pastes from scratch - on this the teacher simply added a pre-prepared curry paste. We were shown how to make sticky rice and mango as one of the 5 dishes, but we had no opportunity to do it for ourselves - instead the teacher cut up the mango and served it up whilst we were eating, without any involvement from us. The course was scheduled to run between 1- 5pm, however it was finished and we were on our way back to Ao Nang by 3pm.
On the plus side the teacher was pleasant, spoke reasonable English and was clearly knowledgeable, so it is a pity that there isn't a better appreciation of student expectations. I doubt many customers are happy at sharing pans! Overall, the course felt rushed and was overly basic - we left feeling that we hadn't learned very much.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Warrener

Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beyond Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

What a total waste of money. DO NOT GO TO THIS COOKERY "SCHOOL". For 1300 baht which personally is a considerable amount of money to spend on an activity like this I had good expectations of the course. They advertised a choice of dishes which could be made: this wasnt the case, prep for the class had already been made prior to our arrival so we had no choice in what we made. The little prep for the courses that we did was good explaining how things should be chopped and prepared etc. When it came to "cooking" the courses 3 people had to share 1 wok which would have been passable if we had all got a chance to cook. The first course was cooked by the teacher, the following 2 were cooked by other members of our group. I didnt cook a single thing. You got to eat between making a couple of courses which on the first occasion worked fine. The fourth dish was made by the teacher again.......by this time I think she had realised we wasnt too happy with situation and even stopped telling us what she was doing. I had to query what ingredients were and measurements required. One of these ingredients was a paste, when I enquired about this I asked why hadnt we made it as it was pre-made she said she would show later and fobbed me off. Even my basic knowledge told me you made a curry from a paste......I never did get to find out how. By the time we sat down to eat dishes 3 and 4 they were cold. Dish 5 (desert) was made for us while we werent even in the kitchen. A little prep had been made earlier while we was present I had to ask what was going in it as no mention of anything was given again. To top it off the food didnt even taste that good, alot of the food wasnt cooked properly this was probably due to the fact we finished the whole course in 2 hrs when it should have taken 4-5 hrs, obviously the aim was to get us in and out as quick as possible as they already had our money. To top it off mangey dogs wandering around the area where you eat was just a little too much.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank zbsparkles86
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“good fun”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

i persuaded my wife to take a course and it worked, since we have returned home she has been dishing up thai food regularly

Visited April 2013
1 Thank marcsanderson
London
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

We made 5 interesting dishes, got to eat them and the chef was very good and helpful. The setting is also very nice. Would definitely recommend.

1 Thank roger_10
Bangkok, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We liked it a lot. Bought some curry pastes and hope to get the same taste when I start cooking my own Thai Food at home. Good value and definetly a good cooking school.

Visited January 2013