Booked a fairly last minute stay for a few nights, stayed in Grand Superior seaview room. This was located close to reception, on the top floor (3rd) overlooking the gardens with a small view over the trees to the sea. So if you need a complete sea view, these rooms don't really do the job.
Its an old resort and it shows. Needs a lick of paint here and there and a bit of modernising. This is most evident in the rooms. It was big, but sparsely decorated and certainly no feeling of luxury. The king bed however was perhaps the best i have ever slept in in Thailand - ultra comfy. The aircon worked a treat, and the balcony was pleasant to sit out on. The light switches were impossible to work out in the room and bathroom. In the end i gave up and unplugged everything, including the kettle, just to get the room dark for sleep.
The bathrooms need an overhaul too. Bare (think unfinished plaster) look and poor lighting, and a loo that continued to smell despite nothing being in it. Good water pressure in the shower (over bath) and nice smelling toiletries, and lots of free amenities. So you can hopefully start to see that the room was comfortable if a little lacking in style and taste.
The breakfast was busy but OK - a few off-putting flies around the jam, same dodgy tea and coffee that you find throughout Thailand, but food was replenished regularly. Help yourself to everything, no table service here.
The beach bar faced the beach street, was not that conducive to lingering, and the happy hour was buy 2 get 1 free. Tried many cocktails in many places and never got a good one. Waste of money everywhere, stick to to the beer.
The large pool that you see on the web pages was by far the best part of the stay. Lovely pool, beautiful backdrop of the cliffs, and lots of sunbeds. The pool bar however, looked very unloved. No decor, no atmosphere, plastic tables n chairs. Good for a coffee or drink during the day but that would be it. Not a place to linger.
I was initially swayed by the current promo of "free massage" with a 2 night booking. This is a bit like the hoover promo years ago in the UK when they offered a free Florida flight, then ran out of free flights. Popped to the spa on the day of arrival to book this, only to find out no appointments available. Why offer this promo unless you are good for honouring it ? The beach massages are decent at 200THB (also at the hotel under the pagoda type thing) so I wouldn't recommend you jump at this deal just for the free spa massage - theres a good chance that you won't actually get it - as it was in our case.
All in all a good location close to the shops, restaurants etc. Lovely pool, and great comfy beds. This hotel has got some things right. A bit of upgrading and sprucing up of the common areas and bars would surely see this hotel a winner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aonang Villa Resort, the stimulating destination situated on the unspoiled natural scenery by soaring limestone cliffs and lovely tropical environment, as well as just minutes away from lively shopping and restaurant district of Aonang Beach ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Aonang Villa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aonang Villa Hotel Ao Nang
- Aonang Hotel Krabi
- Aonang Resort Krabi
- Ao Nang Villa Resort
- Aonang Villa Resort Krabi/Ao Nang