“3 star at best. Good location”

Aonang Villa Resort
Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“3 star at best. Good location”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Positives:
Great location, close to shops, beach, massages, restaurants etc

The rooms are large - we were lucky and had a ground floor next to the pool with it's own sunbeds

Negatives:

Sunbeds are taken or reserved. You have to get up very early if you want a space by the pool.

Cushions on the sunbeds are very hard. Makes you feel immediately that you are in a cheap resort.

No pool staff. I saw old ladies trying to manoeuvre sunbeds & large umbrellas.

Ladder getting into/out of pool is VERY loud and squeaky. Really annoying. It is also broken (missing the top step) which means that older people struggled.

Breakfast in my opinion was a low standard. Everything is there but the quality is low (this could be due to me being spoilt at other hotels)

In summary, this hotel is fine if you are just looking for a no frills hotel. If you want a touch of luxury with hotel activities, then look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Leisa501
Aonangvillareso... K, Resident Manager at Aonang Villa Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Leisa501

Thank you for your review. My apology for the late reply and the issues you experience. Your feedback is very much appreciated as this is a helpful source for us to review our service. I am not giving a reason on what was happened but this as a learning experience and share with my team to prevent further recurrence.
Once again my since apology, and we hope that we will be given another chance to prove to you the true service on next visit.

rm@aonangvilla.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
British Columbia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived at Aonang Villa to stay for ten days as the grand finale of a S.E.Asia tour. We were exhausted after two flights that day, recovering from a nasty flu virus and taking prescribed antibiotics. Much in need of rest and recuperation we could hardly wait to reach the resort. Our understanding from ca.hotels.com was that "Check-in time starts at 2 PM; Check-out time is Noon". BUT we were informed on arrival at 3 pm that we could not get into our room until 6 pm - BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS GUEST WANTED A LATE CHECKOUT!!!!!! We were given a temporary room for the 3 hours, meaning we could not unpack and settle in… oh, and a 500 bahts drinks voucher (sufficient for two cocktails in the hotel bar) which we did not care about. Would much rather have had our room and a warm welcome. At 6 pm two bell boys came and woke us up, took our suitcases off to our new room without waiting for us - and forgot to tell us the new room number or to give us a key. So, disoriented and barely awake (both in our seventies!), we had to go downstairs to the front desk (no elevator) and back up to the room again. My question was and is: why were the departing guests not given the temporary room? Why us? We had booked months in advance and our room was prepaid. This entire episode made us feel that our presence was not particularly valued here… and unfortunately, things only got worse from there. The hotel was very busy with many European guests who felt it their right to go down to the pool at about 6:30 am and put towels on whole rows of sun loungers, then take their sweet time claiming them many hours later. We witnessed one very unpleasant shouting match between two men over ownership of a sun lounger. The hotel management attempted unsuccessfully to address this problem by sending letters to every guest affirming the "first come, first served" policy, after complaints from many people - but things didn't change much, except on the morning of our departure when we did see staff removing towels from "reserved" loungers. Management needs to post MANY notices all around the pool to spell out their "no reservations" policy - and then ruthlessly enforce it. Being nice with these guests just does not work! The other huge issue was the lack of internet service. We had no reliable WIFI the entire time we were there. Again, management TRIED to address this - and after an upgrade things did improve marginally in that I could at least access the internet by taking my laptop down to the lobby, but in-room access was still unsatisfactory to non-existent. There was trouble with the water quality in the pool which was actually closed for half a day while they tried to sort things out. And finally, it is hotel policy here to only give one room key per room, and you must check you key at the front desk if you go out. Not the handiest thing in the world.
Best things about this resort: the excellent breakfast buffet - and the location. But all in all, just too many problems that made for a disappointing stay at Aonang Villa resort. We will not be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KittyVictoria

Sorry for late reply to you. Thank you for your review and pleased to know that you enjoyed our excellent breakfast buffet and the location of resort. I am concerned to noted that our service failed to meet your expectation this time, and I am certainly not proud for this outcome, but I am grateful for our feedback, which is important source for improvement. I will investigate this issue further and rectify the problem.

We truly hope that we will be given another chance to prove you the service and provide you a rightful pleasant stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

There are in reality just 3 resorts on the beach in Aonang - and Aonang Villa Resort is the middle of the 3. Perfect location and great view to the sea (from the restaurant) and towards the cliffs to the East. This is the place to be in Aonang.
Breakfast is actually very good - and the view is just perfect.
There are 2 nice pools - but here there is a problem: you might be on a snorkeling tour in the morning - you return to the hotel in the early afternoon and you wish to go to the pool: half the sun beds are occupied by other guests - and the other half is reserved (from 7 o'clock in the morning...) with towels...! This towel imperialism is stupid - and when guests cannot find out how to behave decently the hotel management has to "teach" guests how to behave.... 2 days we did not find empty sun beds in the afternoon - but I hope the towels had a good day in the sun....:)
You always find Hotel Directories in your room - and also here. And of course this Directory also deals with tsunamis (with the 2004 Christmas tsunami in mind) - there is 3 pages in the fine Directory dealing with tsunamis....BUT: it is a copy from a Canadian source, so you are eagerly advised how to behave if a tsunami from the Pacific Ocean strikes the west coast of British Columbia in Canada - and remember if you are on the west coast of Vancouver Island you have to run to a position 20 meters above sea level.... - not so relevant knowledge I think...
OK - Aonang Villa Resort is actually a very fine place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Roarmaag
Aonangvillareso... K, Resident Manager at Aonang Villa Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Roarmaag

Thank you for taking your time to post a detailed review and sharing your positive holiday experience on this platform. I have also taken note on your feedback regarding the pre-reserved sun lounges in the morning, due to the recent feedback from our guests expressing their concern, we then re-enforce our sun lounge policy. If a member of our f&b attendant around the pool notices any sun lounges is not in use for more than an hour, the belonging will be remove and kept at the service bar counter, and the sun lounge will be made available for other guests.

This is also quite challenge as people is different we hope that our guests will respect the policy in order to ensure a pleasant holiday for everyone.

In regards of the hotel directory in your room, it may miss in some room as we had been replaced with a new one. Thank you again for your comment and we hope to welcome you back for another inspiring stay in the near future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is near to the beach and in easy access of restaurants and a huge range of shops. The staff were incredibly attentive consistently. The rooms were well maintained and were very fresh and well decorated.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 65Bram
Dear 65Bram

Thank you for your positive review on this platform. I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort. I thank you indeed for your compliments and allowing me to acknowledge the excellent services my team has provided you and family during your stay.
Thank you once again and we hope we will be able to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I first stayed in this hotel around 4 years ago and loved the location of the hotel and the fab pool area with the amazing view of the cliffs. We decided to return over Christmas 2013 for 10 days but were very disappointed on our return. The first issue we had was the bed which was ridiculously hard! We foolishly never said anything the first day and then suffered all night, it was torture and impossible to sleep. We went to reception the next morning to see what they could do to get a different mattress and ended up having to go back three times as kept being told they had to check the computer and it was slow. During the day someone did put two mattress toppers on the bed but this really didn't do anything. We ended up swapping the mattress from another room which was slightly better but still very uncomfortable. I have never had to complain about a bed before and have traveled extensively so I'm sure we're not that hard to please. What made things worse were the sunbeds around the pool which were falling apart and equally hard and uncomfortable! My back just felt hideous the whole stay!
The rooms are OK, a bit tired and the breakfast buffet just OK.
A couple of positives - Must say that the happy hour around the pool was good and the pool boys very attentive.
And I must compliment the Christmas Eve gala dinner. This was really good, the food was great and we really enjoyed the entertainment, Much better that the previous one we attended a few years back.
This was my 3rd trip to Krabi and I am disappointed to say that I will not be going back to the Villa Resort, which is a shame because of the location in Ao Nang. Maybe they are trying to attract a different market now or we had been spoilt by our previous hotel in Patong.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RICSGIRL
Aonangvillareso... K, Resident Manager at Aonang Villa Resort, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear RICSGIRL

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this platform. Customer feedback is very important to us and it allows us to improve our resort and its services.

I am so sorry to hear that you had some inconvenience and uncomfortable experience regarding quality of sleep during stay with us, following the guest’s feedback, we are currently planning to exchange the mattress in the building 7 and as well we look into the individually room to exchange mattress to comfort our guest stay with us.

Thank you for your positive review on the Christmas Eve dinner experience, I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed the special menu, which our culinary team was working hard to prepare and serve at the special night.

Last but not least, I thank you once again and I trust that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our improve level of service during your next stay. Please reach out to me if you are planning to visit Aonang Villa Resort.

Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The awful customer experience started the second we landed in Krabi. I confirmed with the hotel an airport pick up and we waited for an hour and no one came, we then had to pay double the amount for a van to the hotel. When we brought it up and they kept shifting the blame, no one cared about our concerns or took the time to give us an answer. Second, the wifi was horrible, it would go in and out, we had one full day without it working and once again did nothing to make our stay more enjoyable. We traveled half way around the world for this?? Third, when we were going out for a boat excision we needed towels in the early morning they demanded we wait for our room to be cleaned for new towels, this continued for 15 minutes. This should not be a big ordeal as a hotel guest!! Fourth, as we were checking out they accused us of stealing a laundry bag?? We had not clue where the laundry bag was even located. I am only giving this hotel one star due to the location. it's in walking distance to the beach and shops/ restaurants. The rooms were clean but could have been better and seems a bit older. Will never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JenaMarie712
Aonangvillareso... K, Resident Manager at Aonang Villa Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear JenaMarie712

Thank you for your review on this platform, after received your review we immediate investigate with our team, Needless to say, this is completely unacceptable and unprofessional behavior and guest handling complain and situation. I would like to sincerely apology for this and all of your comments have been noted and will be used internally to improve our resort and its services further.

Once again thank you for your recent stay at our resort, despite the various negative experiences, I trust that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our improve level of service during your next stay.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I had booked this online without having visited it and my family was really looking for a true Thai-style experience, which we weren’t getting at Villa Resort, so I called in the aid of a travel agency specialized in Southern Thailand, I think their name was Andaman Adventures. They moved us to Paradise Resort which was everything the Villa resort was not. We would say if your focus is to stay for the lowest cost and be near the beach, and you have children, yes then perhaps the Villa will fit you fine. Perhaps we’re just not the kind of customer for this sort of resort, because most people seemed quite happy.

Room Tip: Don't book this place