“Excellent location but lack of service.”

Aonang Villa Resort
Ranked #19 of 110 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Great resort very closed to the beach.We were @ Ao Nang Villa for 2 nights and totally enjoyed it although we spent most of our time at the other islands. Massage was pretty good near the Dolphin pool @ 200 baht/hour. Downside - staff does not seem to be friendly - We did not notice the smiles except the massage staff. They should get working on it. Seems like they are lacking of staff during this month. The Pool runs from 9am - 6pm - business hours? Not allowed to late check out even an hour @ 1pm due to elephant trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Potluck78

Reviewed 12 August 2009

The hotel is very cooling and cozy. Very much like home. The breakfast is not so bad. But in term of staff friendliness, it is still lack of. Staff may hold double standard towards Asian. And good news is there are free tea and coffee served at lobby between 4-6 p.m. Love the scenery and swimming pools. Very near to Ao Nang beach (although dirty but it's not the hotel's fault). Overall, it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My worsest experience in Thailand. Very poor breakfast items selection, no cheese, no coffee service, dirty tables. Room was not bad but looks like still under reconstruction. Walls made from plasterboard, which mean zou could here absolutelz everzthink whats happened in next room. Overal service - nothing special and reception staff was not helpfull. Imposible to use beach, dirty, manz broken bottles..etc. no reason whz to travel so far to staz at swiming pool where is not enough place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smrgy
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were there for 3 nights and it was a pity that we didn't stay longer. Since most of our time were spent elsewhere - Phi Phi Island, Hot Spring, shopping, massage and eating. We hardly had any time to enjoy the hotel... Would go back just for that! To enjoy the pool or even just to sit in our 2nd floor Seaview balcony...

Check-in
Was smooth. All our 3 rooms were ready when we arrived at 1pm. They even upgraded all our rooms from Superior to Superior Seaview. It was a pity that they couldn't allocate all our 3 rooms on the same floor though - 2 on the 2nd level and 1 on the ground level. Also, our connecting room request were not met... Nevertheless, we were happy with the upgrade.

Room
Really nice and looked newly renovated. Good furnishing. View of the pool and the seaside (slightly obstructed by the trees between the hotel and the beach but can still see the sea). Nice flat screen TV. Good reading light by the side of the bed. Really comfortable armchair with foot rest. The only thing is I wish that they provide fluffy room slippers rather than rubber slippers - flooring of the room is tiled so it is pretty cold and hard. Would be much nicer to walk in fluffy slippers.

Meal
Only had breakfasts and they were lovely. They cater to Muslim patrons by indicating which were Halal dishes. Also, some days the sausages served were chicken. Other days, pork. Everything was clearly stated whether the dish contained pork or not. Egg Station serving ONE OF THE BEST Omelets I've tasted! All the Asian dishes were changed daily. As for Western dishes, they tend to remain basically the same, except for French Toast Vs pancake and different meat for sausage. 3 kinds of juices. Overall, I find the breakfast great.

The only gripe I have is the service, albeit a minor 1. They provide 2 free bottles of water (in glass bottles which must be returned). If you don't drink it they won't provide you a new set of bottles. Even when I opened up 1 of the bottles but just drank a little, they still didn't provide me a new bottle! But otherwise, the service was ok. Request for extra pillow was prompty met, etc.

Location
I chosed this hotel for it's location - proximity to the main Ao Nang strip as well as right on the beach, and I wasn't dissappointed at all. It was truly a pity that throughout my stay it was raining daily, except in the afternoon. Even then the sky was very overcast. So I couldn't enjoy the famed sunset from my balcony... Neither did I manage to walk along the pedestrianised road between the beach and the hotel until the final morning. I found it to have nice restaurants and would have had dinner at the BBQ bar at the end of that path if I had the opportunity and had known about it!
The hotel is surrounded by shops, massage places, restaurants and street food vendors. Do try the grilled chicken sold by the vendors. Try it with the Som Tam (Thai Papaya Salad) and the sticky rice sold together. Or else, just the wings. It is nice to buy it and eat on the beach.. Also, do flag down a lady on a motobike selling home made coconut ice cream when she goes pass.
A good restaurant is Wang Sai Seafood Restaurant. Nice seaside table (but not on the sand). It is not at the front of the hotel but along the other road leading away from the beach. Just ask the Concierge since it is pretty well known. One thing that you must try while in Krabi is the One Tack Toe Shell, indigenous to Krabi. Steamed and eaten with spicy dip. (Must eat it while still hot as it gets harder to pull the meat out once cool. Also, careful of the sharp 'toe'!). It runs out fast so go early! Near to the restaurant there are a couple of bars with nice seaside seating.

Overall, I will definitely stay here again. Even if I am going alone since the hotel, and Ao Nang itself feels very safe. Not too maddening like Patong yet neither too quiet... Just perfect!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank MelKualaLumpur
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We spent 5 comfortable nights at this attractive hotel. The rooms were spacious and well maintained by friendly room maids. With the exception of reception desk staff, the hospitality staff servicing the restaurant and bars were warmly attentative and friendly. Would definitely revisit the hotel and would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My partner and I booked 11 nights at this hotel with some friends. We had a pool view room. The room was very basic and when we arrived mid afternoon we had no hot water in any of the 3 rooms we had booked and the water was a brown colour. This was rectified the next day. Breakfast was extremely poor. The fruit tasted old and unsuitable and as a result I only went for breakfast twice during our stay. Also the Dolphin pool bar food was not great. Both during the day and nightime the hotel was noisy. Daytime they had some building work going on right next to the massage area, and strimming throughout the day. At nightime there were stray cats allowed into the hotel area (and during the day). At night you could hear the cats squealing at various times during the night. Overall service in the hotel was very poor. Poor service in the rooms. On a number of occasions we had to ask for more shampoo, soap, toilet rolls, towels and were often ignored or the wrong items were brought. Reception staff were also poor and unhelpful. They had no knowledge of local facilities (during our stay we needed a doctor's assistance and reception had no basic idea of how to handle this). There were so many rules and regulations and not enough by way of service. My partner and I are very well travelled and have visited Thailand many times. I have to say that this is the worst service we have ever come across in a hotel. We would not rate this as a 4 star hotel but more as a 2 star. The only good point about the hotel is its location. Close to restaurants and shops. The hotel itself for us however was a no no and we even cut short our stay and returned to Bangkok for the rest of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stopped at the Aonang Villa for 18 days in June/July. We had booked the Handicap room as my husband is blind and had a stroke so really needed the separate shower. I had read on TA that they do double book so tried to get confirmation 3 times before leaving home but no luck, even though they would confirm our transfers. We book through an agent so asked her to get confirmation which after a few tries she did and gave me a copy.
Upon arrival we were told we had to go in a different room, when I said we had the handicap the first thing said was "YOU DO NOT HAVE CONFIRMATION" I said yes I do and showed them, they weren't pleased at all. We were then told the other room was for 2 nights I asked will we go into the other room then, very quietly told yes. Hubby asked to see the manager but was told she had gone home and would be back after 8am the next day.
When we saw the manager next day was told the room was booked from the 2nd July I said we had booked till the 11th July but was told the other people had booked before us I then asked why did you take our booking then, no answer, after further discussions it was decided we could have the room for entire stay from the next day. We felt VERY BAD about the person coming in because they obviously needed the Handicap room as well. Don't know what happened but we did see a gentleman in a wheel chair on the 2nd and also a lady on the 8th July.
Once we got passed the front desk we had a fabulous holiday. The resort facilties.breakfast,staff etc are great. Position is super close to everything beach,resturants,shopping,tours etc. The rooms are lovely if it wasn't for the shower issue we would have easily stayed in the superior room we were in first.
We did speak to others who had stayed here before and had to go across the road to another hotel for a couple of days so beware in high season no matter what type of room you book your not guaranteed getting it straight away.
I have written a letter to the General Manager making him aware of how important it is that they don't double book the Handicap room, We would stay here again except for the fact we may not get the room we want. Also be aware there are no lifts and it is 3 flrs so if you have issues with stairs book a ground floor room.I would recommend this hotel, but warn them of the double booking policy, because except for this the hotel is fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple