“Excellent Scuba Diving Excursions!”
Review of Scuba Addicts

Scuba Addicts
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Addicts Dive Center was established in 2005 in Ao Nang(Krabi). We offer diving and snorkeling adventures for all ages and abilities, that are tailored to suit your individual or group needs. Our aim is to make your scuba diving holiday in Ao Nang fun and memorable, for all the right reasons, and keep you coming back for more.We teach the full range of PADI and SSI courses in several languages, in small groups and at a pace to suit you. Both systems of education are fully flexible and modular, and with the introduction of online learning there has never been an easier or more convenient time to take the plunge.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I managed 3 trips to Phi Phi Islands and 2 local dive trips during my Ao Nang stay, a total of 11 dives with Scuba Addicts. The staff was friendly and very experienced in looking after the divers at their respective dive certification. The divers were grouped in 4's as close as possible to their respective certification level which was much appreciated as it opened up for individuals to follow their own interests to a certain degree, such as if you wanted to take photos. Furthermore with only 4 in the group it was easy for the divemaster to guide the group efficiently and maintain a close control of what everyone was doing. The only drawback was the long journey by boat to Phi Phi Islands. It took nearly 3 hours both ways which meant that it was a long day for only 2 or 3 dives. We left about 7.30 in the morning and normally did not get back until 6 in the evening, before you were at the hotel! This is OK if you are on your own or diving with your partner on holiday, but if your partner is back at the hotel waiting for you to return from a day's diving, it is a very long day!

TimStocks, Owner at Scuba Addicts, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2016

Thank you for your kind words, we try our best. Hope to see you again. Regards, Tim.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"pickup"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We booked a snorkel tour to Phi Phi with these guys and ended up joining another tour company called Kon Tiki. The Kon Tiki guys seemed really organised and the food, drinks etc was good. We weren't sure what the plans were and neither did the Scuba Addict representative. In the end we made 3 stops, 2 of which were for snorkelling/diving and didn't include a snorkel guide. It was my first time and there were only 3 of us snorkelling out of a boat of approx 20 people. The two other snorkelers didn't seem impressed and I think it would have been a nightmare for me if my boyfriend wasn't their to show me how to use the equipment. All in all I had a good day but the snorkelling aspect did seem like an afterthought for the tour.

2  Thank ardilay
thescubaaddict, Owner at Scuba Addicts, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Ardilay,

We are very sorry that it wasn’t the day you had hoped for.
However, we never sell our trips as guided snorkelling tours, and always inform that it is a combined snorkelling/diving trip. Also we inform that since it is not guided, a dive professional will give you a briefing and orientation of the snorkel spot. Where to go, what to look out for, signals, and dangers. If we do have a group of more than 5-7 snorkelers(depending on their experience and age) we will provide a snorkelling guide for extra safety.
Though this might seem negative to you, most snorkelers prefer this, too adventure out on their own(with boat support and indirect supervision though!!). We don’t organize mass snorkelling trips, this is no fun because you will see more fins than fish. We take you to the diving spots, not the tourist trap spots.
When you booked the trip you should have informed us more clearly about your concerns, If you wanted snorkelling lessons and a guide, it could have been easily arranged. Since you didn’t inform the shop about this, at least you could have let our staff know that you were nervous and it was your first time snorkelling. Im sure the staff would have spent extra time with you, and explained everything in more detail to you, making your experience more memorable in the tropical waters of Thailand.
Regarding the extra stop: this was indeed not planed at the time of your booking, In Ao Nang many dive centres collaborate, some days like this one we did not have enough customers to send out our own boat, so we joined with this company’s. Almost all dive centres in Ao Nang do this. So some days they will hop on our boat and then again vice versa. Though on most days in the high season, all dive centre in Ao Nang will be sending out their own boat.
This is more Ecological and Economical.
Thanks again for coming out with us, please in future when you joining a snorkelling or adventure trip, please speak out your concerns(we cant read minds….. yet).

Take care and all the best on your future adventures in the wonders of the sea,
Kind regards,
The Scuba Addicts DIVE team

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I did 2 dives in the local islands with this company. Our dive master was friendly and experienced but not very safe. I liked the feel of diving from a long boat but we had no room to do a buddy check. We were fairly well briefed for the first dive, but not so much for the second one (it was also hard to hear him over the engine noise). On both the dives, the dive master found and pointed out amazing things! He really knew where to find small sea creatures. Seeing so many things we had never seen before made up for the very poor visibility. It was difficult to let our dive master know how much air we had left because the visibility was poor and because he did not look back at us very often. At the end of the second dive we followed our dive master into a cave, we had not been told about this, so I was worried about going into darkness, and because of the strong current I over exerted myself and had trouble breathing about half way through the passage. Being a novice diver, this scared me quite a bit and even though I knew what to do in theory, when panic sets in it is difficult to make the right decisions. After we surfaced the other divers said they had been worried as well. However, the dive master did apologize to me for this later. Overall I was pleased with seeing so many interesting things, but wish I had felt safer during the dives.

2  Thank Genevieve G

Dear Genevieve,
Thanks for your review, all feedback is important.
We understand your concerns about this dive, and have spoken to our divemaster about this. He again sends his apologies and has let me know that he always new your air. Even if you weren’t able to tell him at times, any time he showed those amazing small creatures, he would look at your gauges whilst you were viewing the marine life. So you were always safe.
Its easy to ready a pressure gauge without asking for the air, look over the shoulder from above, from the side and even when facing someone its possible to see it, it may be upside down, but we can stil read it. Also when we have done one dive with someone, its easy for us(dive professionals) to estimate your air consumption rate on following dives. Apart from that the Ao Nang local islands are very shallow, the average dive depth is 6-9m, in places 14-18m is possible, this means you air consumption rate will be very low. Basically anybody can do at least a 45min dive, with plenty of air to spare.
However the Dive Master should not have taken you through the tunnel/swim through(not cave), without briefing you about this or at least underwater before entering, to ask if you were ready OK? before entering the swim through. Again we have addressed this to the DM in question.
We are happy that at least you were overall pleased by the experience.
Though this is not the right way to do it, sometimes its important we come out of our comfort zone, this is how we grow as people and divers. Diving from a long tail is more challenging, but is quite normal in Europe and many locations around the world to dive from boats this size(ribs/zodiac(they have even less space)). If you had troubles with the buddy check on the boat, you could easily have done this at the surface before descending. Also its allways good to have a torch, to look in cracks, signal in low visibity, or for swim throughs. If you don’t own one, all dive centres have for rental.
Keep up the diving…….. gain experience, continue your education, and explore!!!!

Thanks and best regards,
The ScubaAddics DIVE team

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Everyone was super nice and knowledgeable, from booking office to instructors. I had gotten my certification 10 years ago and hadnt dove since. Was rusty and feeling nervous about it, explained at booking office my situation and they arranged a refresher on day of dive and even let my borrow Padi book the day before to read.Instructor was great, made sure I was comfortable with everything, overall amazing time with great re-introduction to scuba. I always felt safe, as safety was always stressed. Would recommend scuba addicts to everyone.

1  Thank Irene G