“Mixed feelings....”

Ranked #14 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Singapore
“Mixed feelings....”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I wanted a long weekend off to relax. And we did, but....

Plus points: the reservations went well, the pickup van was right there when we stepped out of Krabi airport, the drive to the hotel was lovely. The hotel is located close to the beach (across the road, which is the best you can get in Ao Nang), fairly quiet, yet also a short walk away from shops and restaurants. We had a pool access room, which is great for all you water babies. A lovely setting when you step out onto the balcony....

Minus points: The staff were mostly excellent, but a few seemed truculent, a little over par for the course. The room we had was a tad noisy since the pool bar was close by and fairly loud music was on for a good part of the day and evening. But we got used to it.... What we didn't get used to was the shower, which tended to collect water within seconds - and which took hours to drain - clearly a structural problem. Folks, this was Room 4109, which you may wish to avoid.... Above all, the food was less than mediocre - honestly, the worst hotel meals we have had in ages - and I travel a lot! The dinner buffet was seriously disappointing. Eat out if you can! Try the Lae Lay Grill - great food, a lovely hilltop location with a view, and they pick you up and drop you for free.

Tip: Ask the staff how to ensure the air conditioning does not cut off - it happens every time you open the balcony doors and fail to align the doors just right when shutting them.

Room Tip: Room 4109 was a bit noisy. The rooms numbering 2011 and thereabouts are relatively peaceful pool acc...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rajesh B
Elyes_Ben_B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Warmest greetings from the Holiday Inn Krabi, Ao Nang Beach.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us at Tripadvisor.
We were very pleased to learn that you had a nice stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and advices, that I have shared in details with all our management team for further actions. We certainly look forward to welcome you back at our Hotel on your next visit to Krabi.

With best regards,
Elyes Ben Brahim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights, excellent place in Krabi, close to market, large pools and separate children pool with slides and many more activities.
Perfect place for families.
F&B is limited, staff is friendly and responsive.
Big rooms with terrace.
Basically, all good.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Elyes_Ben_B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from the sunny Ao Nang beach and hope your trip back home went very well. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.
I really was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your family stay with us. I had shared in details your fabulous comments with all the team. I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Krabi in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Ao Nang beach over a long weekend. We found this resort to be everything as advertised. First the positives: We stayed in the newer wing of the hotel so; when it comes to the pool, pool bar, etc. this is the area I am reviewing. I can't say anything about the pool and pool bar in the older wing. Our room (5101) was fantastic. It was a family suite on the ground floor, directly in front of the children's pool and just next to the pool bar (not direct pool access but; approx. 10 steps to pool from patio). The room was huge. In fact, it was two rooms made into a suite. The childrens room was separated by a door and included boats as headboards and shelves disguised as a light house. The bathroom was large with a large shower. There was, what looked like a bath as well however; you would only be able to fill it using the shower. There are no "bath" style taps. This did not bother us however; it may prove slightly difficult if you are traveling with very young children. The room was clean and new and suited us very well. There was table tennis directly next to the room as well which our boys thoroughly enjoyed. The childrens pool, with three very good sized water slides was excellent for our 9 and 10 y.o. boys. The resort has one restaurant that served a very nice breakfast and dinner is buffet or ala carte. The buffet dinner is reasonably priced however; there are so many restaurants near by that you may not want to bother eating at the resort. We found the service to be very good both at the restaurant and throughout the resort. The pool bar staff were especially friendly and very tolerant of the demanding clients and children splashing.

The negatives: The showers in our room were not very good. They looked fantastic because they were large with "rain" shower heads however; the water only trickled out and if someone was in the other shower at the same time, it went from cold to scalding hot and back again. This was a very minor inconvenience. The other negative is the location. The resort itself is very pretty and well kept and directly across the street from the beach however; it is not a very nice beach. The better end of town and beach is a quick tuk tuk ride away (100 THB for 4 pax). This again is a minor inconvenience however; if you are expecting to pop back to your room from the beach if you forgot something, it is a tuk tuk ride or long walk away. There was some noise from the pool and bar in this room however; not enough to keep us awake. There was also some banging from the room above but again, nothing to worry about.

I would highly recommend this hotel to families. It is clean, feels safe and there is much to do if you tire of the beach or boat rides to idyllic islands. This was our third trip to Ao Nang and we still love it. It is a short easy flight from Singapore and well worth the trip. We find it much less hectic and chaotic than Phuket and the scenery is stunning. The massage huts at the end of the main beach are a must visit. They will provide you with free seating, fresh fruit and beach mats with only the expectation that if you have a massage, you will patronize their services. We always find that hut 5&6 are very accommodating however; I am sure they are all similar.

Room Tip: Room 5101 is a great room for families. It is a family suite with direct access to the swimming poo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank CaptainTuttle
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Holiday Inn Krabi, Ao Nang Beach and hope your trip back home went very well. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This review might be a bit long, but as I know how important it is for someone's booking decision I will take my time to write this one and hope people enjoy reading it!

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Ao Nang from End of July to beginning of August for 5 nights together with my sister. We reached to the hotel around 12 o'clock and during the check-in we got informed that we were upgraded from a pool-view room to a pool access room! Amazing news! However, the room was not yet ready so we went for a lunch first and came back to the hotel then, asking if the room was ready - not yet, but after 10 to 15minutes we were told. So we sat down in the lobby waiting for any further information... But nothing happened. So we took again the initiative to ask for our room and yes it was ready. I felt the staff should have informed us about that as we were sitting directly in front of them - however. When checking in also, we were told that the breakfast is not included in our booking, but it indeed was, what the receptionist then also found out when checking with the reservations department.

Our room was in the newer building, it was gorgeous, first of all really huge, with a double bed and a sofa which you can make it an extra-bed. The bathroom had a walk-in-rain-shower. The sliding doors of the bathroom can be kept wide open so you can basically look outside when having a shower. Light for putting the make-up was a bit low in the bathroom, otherwise the bathroom was good.

As mentioned, we had the pool access room now, which means we were on the ground floor and our terrace was directly leading into the huge swimming pool. We had two armchairs and a laundry dryer plus a small table on the terrace. Jumping into the pool directly from your terrace is just beautiful and we will never forget this complimentary update we received (special thanks to Jigsaw!). Further, we received a fruit basket & voucher for a cocktail (or mocktail) in the lobby bar.

Meals: We only had breakfast in the hotel, which is served from 07.00am to 10.30am I believe. It is upstairs of the lobby & reception, by the way all in open architecture style, very nice. When coming to the restaurant, sure, they are asking you for your room number and it was a bit embarrassing for us, that in the first two morning we were again told by the staff that the breakfast is not included in our booking and whether they should book it onto our room expenses. We then had to explain them again, that it is already included etc. It means that the information was not forwarded by the reception to the other hotel departments, and it's just a bit weird to explain again in the morning to the staff that you have already paid for your breakfast. Anyway! Breakfast was much better than expected. Lots of choices from around 5 juices, croissants, some cakes, pancakes, French toast, egg live cooking station, dim sums, (mainly Asian) hot dishes, fruits, jams, cheese, yoghurt, granola, .... Nice thing is that they keep food as the yoghurt, cheese,...in a AC-cooled extra room with a sliding door which leaves the food fresh!

The staff is nice, most of the time the table was cleaned in time,...

The hotel has a total of three pools: a more relaxing one in front of the old hotel building (currently under construction, noise was ok for us staying in the new building), then the family pool, by times little bit noisy but ok in front of our room and another kids-pool, in front of the third building. In total it is a lot of water to swim around ;-) By the way, I don't know if I am too spoiled but I felt the water was a bit too cold, it took us some time to go in...

The garden area is beautiful, they have a small river through the landscape, lots of flowers, trees, hammocks to relax. Really beautiful place to relax & enjoy!

Family hotel: You have to know that the Holiday Inn is definitively a family hotel. There were some couples, but also lots of families with kids. For us it was totally ok, better than being with lots of drunk young travelers ;-) but If you don't like seeing kids playing around all day this is not your place to stay. However, we always slept until around 8am, and it was still quiet at that time, no one using the swimming pool... But in the evening the hotel is also quiet from early time.. I believe by 21.00hrs you hardly find anyone outside anymore.

Gym: Nice standard equipped gym, nice to use, open until 21.00hrs but unmanned. Music player is not working there, it just makes noise. Towels are provided, also water but you have to bring your own bottles & refill.

Beach: Even though the beach is just opposite the hotel, crossing the main street...it cannot be used there..there is a kind of wall and you simple cannot go down there. If you want to go to the beach you have to walk maybe 15mins right to the hotel and you will find a better beach to enjoy. However, I don't know if it was because of the low-season, but I have seen much better beaches in Thailand......

Very close, like 3 min walk, on the right side of the hotel there are some new shops: a supermarket, a saloon, massage, adidas, converse shop, and some food & drink outlets with normal, good thai prices.

If you walk to the left side of the hotel you have to walk a little further to reach to Ao Nang but you will find plenty of nice restaurants there. Also, just around the corner after the pier where the long tails to Railay go for example, they put up a small market with like 10 stalls selling amazing shakes, BBQ from seafood or meat, pancakes,....where you can buy your own afternoon or dinner meal :-)

From the pier on the left side of the hotel, you can take a longtail to go to Railay, which is a nice trip and costs you I think 100Baht per Person per way. Don't expect too much of Railay, its very small and mainly beach :-)

We rented a scooter near the hotel for 200Baht a day to explore the region a bit more..good idea, also to go to this beach right hand site of the hotel.

Restaurants closed very early in Ao Nang in August, around 21.00hrs - so you have to take your dinner really early.

To summarize, we loved our stay in the resort a lot! The hotel is beautiful, so are the rooms & staff is always smiling & helpful. Looking forward to coming again. Yes, the resort is a bit higher price than others around, but you get what you pay for!

Hope my review was helpful.

Room Tip: Don't take a garden view room, it basically only looks into a dirty river & small forest, pa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lucillestern
Elyes_Ben_B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from the rainy Ao Nang beach and hope your trip back home went very well. Thank you for taking the time to share your fabulous feedback on TripAdvisor.
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was proud to share in details your comments with all the team . I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Krabi in the near future.

Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here last week for a quick getaway. The hotel is not located along the main Ao Nang stretch as you would imagine from the hotel name, but along the quieter adjacent Nopparat thara beach. Less shops within the immediate vicinity, but there is a Family Mart and a very good massage shop (Jara, if I recall the name correctly...) in the development right next to the resort. The main Ao Nang stretch is just a 10minute walk away or a 30Baht (per person) tuk tuk ride. I actually like this location better than if it's along the main stretch, as it's quieter, away from the hustle and bustle that is Ao Nang, yet still easily accessible, as compared to say, Klong Muang beach (where Sheraton and Sofitel are located).

I was upgraded to the deluxe room on the top floor in the old wing and I love the high ceilings, ceiling fan and large balcony. The ceiling fan was more than sufficient to cool the room during the rainy season, without needing the AC. The shower cubicle and bath tub are roomy and more than adequate. Only thing I didn't like was be low partition at the front of the balconies. so your next door neighbor can peep into the room... the water drainage in the shower stall is also somewhat poor... it takes approximately 15 minutes for the water to drain off after a shower.

Service was good and the team tries to please, however it can be refined. My room strangely didn't have a drying rack for my wet clothes in the balcony so I called down to ask for one. The front desk staff said that they would check and call me back. They called back later on to say that there is a drying rack in every room. When I told them my room didn't have one, they then said okay we will send one to you... The rack didn't come, but we didn't ask again, as it was a short stay and we just made use of what we have... like the wooden bathtub rack...

As you would know from reading other reviews, there are 2 wings, the old wing and the new wing. Here's my comparison between the two wings...

Old wing is decidedly quieter than the new wing which in my opinion is definitely more catered for families and big groups. Both the old and new wing have their own pools. Pool at the old wing is definitely quieter while the new wing pool has children's slides, kid's club etc. According to the porter who brought us to the room, the old wing rooms are bigger and comes with a bathtub while the new wings are showers only. The rooms on the top floors in the old wing also have a good sea view and the top room category (Penthouse) has its own plunge pool. There are also themed family suites located in the new wing.The noise from the new wing does travel to the old wing, but it's not terribly loud, easily cancelled out if you keep the windows closed. I can imagine it would be louder at the new wing. Both the old and new wings have pool access rooms on the ground floors.

If you're traveling as a couple, I definitely recommend the old wing, as it's much quieter and more suitable for a intimate vacation... If you're with kids, the new wing may work better for you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old wings for couples, rooms in the new wings for families
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GetawayJunkie
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Ao Nang beach and hope your trip back home went very well. Thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback on TripAdvisor.

Mumbai (Bombay), India

The positives first ...

The property is very well located, a little away from the main areas therefore not too crowded outside as well as not so far that cannot be covered by walking. Breakfast for a vegetarian was not so great, as options were limited but at least there were options which otherwise is lacking in most hotels. I had a pool access room which was perfect. The pool was clean and the property impeccable.

Now for the negatives-
Though the room was clean, there was this lingering smell of sewage in the toilets. Though the toilets were clean, something was amiss.

I decided to let go of one negative over a lot of positives. Must visit :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SIDSM
Dear Guest,
Greetings from the Sunny Ao Nang beach and hope your trip back home went very well. Thank you for taking the time to share your fabulous feedback on TripAdvisor.
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was proud to share in details your comments and suggestions with all the team . I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Krabi in the near future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My holiday in August with family, it was in the raining season. However, because of the great resort we stayed. It's all nice to be there.. Staffs are very nice and kind. Facilities is new and clean with lots of fun thing for the kids. Swimming pool is great for kids, not so deep and all child can play. Resort is about 20-30 feet from the beach. Breakfast are average. Dinner, I wish they have the seafood BBQ. At the time, there was only the international BBQ without seafood. Over all, we love this place and the kid love it too. Good for family relax.

Room Tip: Pool access is great.. but the pool view is good already.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Elyes_Ben_B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach, responded to this review, 15 August 2014