“Perfect escape, clean and convenient”

The Cliff Ao Nang Resort
Ranked #87 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Perfect escape, clean and convenient”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This. Place. Is. GORGEOUS! Especially considering its price. Now, one of the things I focus on when I travel is finding a clean and comfortable place to stay. This place exceeded my expectations. I had read reviews saying that there were insects everywhere and creepy crawlies in the toilet but I didn't encounter a single one. It was immaculate and smelt great. Truly, they've taken great care of the place. Also, there were complaints about mosquitoes. Throughout my 3 nights there, I saw one in the room. That's it. ONE. I think they took heed of this problem and poof, they're all gone now. The people there were nice and definitely helpful. English was understandably a problem with one or two of them but for the most part, they immediately got help and my/our questions were answered. The pool was gorgeous and we didn't struggle to get seats. That being said, we didn't visit during peak season. The people who stayed here during our time ranged from families to couples to young travellers.There was one day where the electricity cut out which also meant we didn't have hot water. This was in the evening and only lasted for about an hour. The good thing was that the place is very breezy and surrounded by trees so you don't feel a thing. Btw, the room comes with only an aircond but as mentioned, if you don't like that, the breeze during the day more than makes up for a lack of a fan. The bed was large and could fit both my friend and I comfortably. There was also some talk of the door being slightly flimsy. To be honest, it isn't the most sturdy thing in the world but all you have to do is lock the top and bottom parts of one side of the door from the inside (it's a two panel door) and then go outside and lock it. I must admit, safety is another worry for me and I was not disappointed so don't worry about this too much. We woke up one morning and walked out and all you could hear/see were birds, insects and the most gorgeous blue sky. I mean really, if that isn't a great escape, I don't know what is.

Now, in terms of location, if you're a TOTAL lazy bum, you may find it relatively far from the beachfront area + beach (10++mins MAX, 20 if you're taking your time). But the thing is, it's actually a pretty nice walk and you find some real gems in terms of stalls, food places, island hopping trip providers (there was one in front of a cafe, Smiling Dog, which gave absolute value for money compared to the providers closer to the beach - at least 30% less).

To sum it up, don't go there expecting a 5 star hotel and you'll be blown away. It does not seem run down AT ALL. There was clear thought into the design of the place making it practical and comfortable. Such good value for money. Can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank reefeelee

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I just returned from a 5 days trip at Krabi and was pleasantly surprised by the great services they provided! The pool and rooms are always clean with everything working well. The staffs are really friendly and provided really great services with smiles. Fast WiFi connection and I'm glad that we get to choose our menu for breakfast. The only complain that I want to make is that I find the walk to the beach to be quite far, especially when the sun is super hot in the afternoon.

Although I suggest that the hotel provides a small piece of paper for the guests for the to tick or choose their menu on that paper to avoid the hassle and it can save more time! Maybe you guys can place it in the rooms so that we can bring the paper over to the counter when we made our choice.

Also, I suggest you guys clean up the garden a bit because it's a bit messed up right now. It can look really good if the right landscaping is done! Also do a bit of paint job for the wooden doors for the hotel to look better. Maybe fix the doors to have better locks so that guests can feel more secure at night since the hotel is not really guarded and have no gates. :)

All in all, it was a good experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chngxb
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

This quiet little place is absolutely beautyful. The resort is close enough to the beach to walk there daily (around 10min), still distant enough from the main street hazzle. The staff couldn't been more friendly and most of them understood english well enough. The breakfast to the porch was also great. The only downsize I could think of was the shower with water (mostly) freezing cold or for a little while too hot.. And perhaps the rat or snake appearing to the backyard bathroom wasn't the most pleasant suprise. If I'd be picky, there could have been more sunchairs by the pool (mostly because other guests seemed to reserve their seats even while they were away) and the bartender took her time to prepare the drinks. Otherthan that, I could easily recommend this lovely place with its great views to the mountains from the pool.

Suomeksi: Aivan mahtava paikka. Upean näköalan lisäksi todella ystävällinen henkilökunta. Jos oma asenne on kohdallaan, suosittelen!

Stayed December 2012
Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Had a great stay at this hotel and would recommend anyone to stay here. From the outside the hotel doesn't look like anything special but once you walk in you see that it's very nice. The bathroom is on the outside and we knew that going in, it's not unusual to see a gecko or other insects while showering and such but knowing that beforehand and going in with an open mind and you will be fine. The bathrooms are connected to the other rooms bathrooms so you can hear people going in and out of theirs but the people we were beside were quiet so no worries there. The pool is great and refreshing with an amazing view!!! The staff are very helpful. About 15 minute walk to the beach and many restaurants and shops around.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E T
Ballina NSW Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We recently stayed for 10 days. This was our second time at The Cliff. It is a small hotel which caters mainly for couples ,which is what we were looking for. We booked the suite as we found last year the bungalow too small for a long stay. The suite is a large room with an equally large bathroom, it is tastefully decorated Thai style and extremely comfortable. The suite is surrounded by a pond with Koi in it. The staff are friendly and helpful. The small restaurant has a diverse menue Thai ,European and Western .The meals we had were fresh and delicious .Presently there is construction on either side of the hotel which disallows lounging by the pool all day, from late afternoon however the hotel retains its quietness. A lovely boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Book the suite
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Firstly, let me admit that the only reason I ended up staying at the cliff was because I made a booking at the wrong hotel, however, I was pretty glad that I did. After reading all the past reviews this hotel really deserves more credit the it had received.
1) service staff were amazing. Our shower choked on the first day (it is a semi outdoor shower so expect leaves to block the drainage), informed staff on the way out, 25 mins later when we returned, they had cleared it for us. Woke up in the morning after a downpour, staff was waiting on hand with a towel to dry up my scooter.
2) Reports of creepy crawlies? Well this is a forest themed resort so do expect a few bugs, mainly mozzies, but hotel has done it's part by providing a mosquito repellent diffuser and moaquito incense coils are available at 7-eleven for THB18. All in all, we only faced 3 lizards, a few flies, 2 spiders and 1 big black ant which came to say bye while we were checking out.
3) The rooms.
The room was smaller then your average "branded" resorts but that being said, it was still comfortable and cozy and not as appealing or run down as some reviews had mentioned. Bathroom was alright, a little old but not as run down as most would think (I've seen worse in hotels located within a city). Again, because it's semi outdoors, expect leaves and the insects but it's not like theres an infestation, just the occasional visits of flies.
As for the safety issues, doors can be bolted top and bottom, locked with a key and latched from the inside while ure asleep (bathroom as well) and as long as it's latched and locked before your head out, doors are not easily opened. Privacy curtains are sufficient as well, considering that the room is dim and you're not able to look in from the outside.

Overall:
Given the past reviews, this room was a lot better then expected. We paid S$61 a night with full breakfast so do take into consideration that this isn't a 5-6 star Ritz.
Overall, with exeption to the lack of shelter when it rains, this hotel was a nice getaway, near enough to the main Ao Nang area but far enough to avoid all music and noise from the bars and clubs that have opened up along the stretch facing the sea. Pool and deck chairs were old but then, given that you're visiting Krabi, a day trip to the islands for a snorkel in the open waters will suffice.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Xinlow
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I booked the hotel via e-mail since 6months back, and had to change the dates forward by a day, the hotel gladly allowed me to change without extra charges, however, upon arriving, there was nobody to pick us up. Luckily i wrote down the hotel's contact number, and called in. The driver arrived in less than 10min. Friendly and nice driver.

Upon reaching the resort, the exterior looked run down with construction going on at both sides. despite the bad condition, we arrived with full smiles and immediate iced cold welcome drink served.

checking in was smooth and pleasant, next we were shown to our room, small and cosy. We liked it, however, the staff there has minimal knowledge of english, thus it was bad communication.

we rested well and went out, regardless if you were checking in a not or eating at the restaurant bar, the staff were full of smiles and some would even bow or nod their heads slightly to acknowledge us as guest.

We returned near midnight, and the staff ran out of their resting area just to acknowledge our return. We really felt welcomed. however upon reaching our room, we realised that our toilet lights were not working, and it was already midnight, however the staff reacted promptly to change a room for us immediately.

As the resort has a nature concept, there are bound to be mosquitoes. I would recommend spraying insecticide or mosquito reppellant on the doors of the room. even so, we were visited by a cricket after our bath.

The beds there was nice and good, we had a good night's sleep, but woke up to be welcomed by a fat millipede right beside our bed and lizards in the toilet.

till the third day, we were welcomed by slugs in toilets and dragonflies.

However, the restaurant serves really good food. Would recommend continental breakfast.

Lastly, location of the hotel was good, quiet as it is a little away from the noisy shopping area, but have good food around, the yellow sign board restaurant just less than 10shops away was FABULOUS!!! and never ever eat at AREE-BABA that is a tad expensive for thai food.

I would recommend room 201-204 beside the pool as it is easy to get to your room.
AND! only stay here if u can stand the sight of creepy crawlies.
overall the stay here was good!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple