“Disgusting, poorly managed overpriced hotel”

Golden Beach Resort
Ranked #39 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Disgusting, poorly managed overpriced hotel”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed 6 nights in April 2014. We had prepaid so would have lost our money if we had if moved hotels. On arrival we had to ask for our bedding to be changed as the sheets were torn and had sticky yellow stains on them.
The buffet breakfast consisted of unrefrigerated cold meats which were uncovered and were crawling with flies. Food which had been dropped was left on the floor and not cleaned up. On the second day I requested to speak to the catering manager and explained what a serious health hazard this meat posed as it was just left in the heat, unrefrigerated and uncovered. The following day the meat was covered but not kept cold but by day 3 the covers had just disappeared and the meat was left crawling with flies again.

In the 6 days we stayed at this hotel we never saw a manager. They just let their demoralised staff take all the complaints. Food was just left in the lobby in the floor whilst staff stepped over it. The soft furnishings in the room where filthy and stained and had clearly not been washed for months. The furniture in the lobby had holes in it and was falling apart. A depressing time was spent at this hotel, which was in a good location. But for the sake of a 5 minute walk to the beach, there are much better hotels in the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. Its location was pretty much perfect, right on the beach, and a short stroll to the main town with its shops, bars, restaurants etc. The pool was gorgeous, and a really good size if you plan to swim lots of lengths. Plenty of sunbeds as well. I felt the standard of the room was very high, minibar, nice balcony, good bathroom and shower. Really nice.
Ms Joop, head receptionist, was very helpful with my emailed booking, and also on arrival was extremely pleasant.

The only reason that I did not give this hotel a five star rating, was that the Internet standard was poor. If you were reasonably close to reception, you can get free Wi-Fi. However from my room, it was weak to say the least, and if I purchased the Krabi Wi-Fi ticket, that was pretty poor as well. For over 3000bht per night that was annoying.

BUT, location location location, absolutely perfect, great rooms of high standard, nice staff, great swimming beach, lovely and clean pool.

Room Tip: B block was great, nice view over pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a lovely time here. The hotel rooms are a bit outdated feels a bit like 3 star in a 4 star price location but having said that, the lovely staff, great pool, quietness and great location make up for it. We stayed in one of the hotel rooms. Had an awesome view over the pool. Yes some of the staff have limited English but a bit of mime and a bit of basic Thai and a smile overcame any difficulties. Breakfast was great. A variety of options with an amusing variety of Thai specialities each day. We were lucky enough to be there over Songkran. The hotel had a "first come first served" show which was free. Not like a compulsory buffet which was lovely and a good night. The concierge staff were very helpful as we had pre-booked tours and car rental but they still helped us with this despite the fact they made no commission. We will happily stay here again :O)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Where to start...
Service- shocking, the worst you can get. Not even the most horrible 1 star crapy motel would have a service like this. From front desk to the restaurant. SHOCKING!
The beach- DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE IN THE HOTEL WEBSITE, the beach is horrible. You cannot even see you own feet under the water. Just choose another hotel please or you will waste your money and your holiday!
The hotel- the facilities, rooms, swimming pool are okay.
We have been allover Thailand and this is the first time ever we have experience this absolutely disgraceful, embarrassing service.
Breakfast is poor.
Plus, if you are looking for a place with a nice beachfront where you can jump in Crystal clear water etc... Forget about it! Try Railay beach, much nicer.

5 Thank Paola260477

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have just got back from this hotel having spent six nights there with my family, overall I would say I enjoyed my stay but there were a few simple things that they got wrong.

Firstly, the positives:

The location is great, just step over the road at the front of the hotel onto the beach. Not that we used the beach often as the hotel has its own fantastic pool. Our room was really nice, spacious and to a good standard. There was a sound system in the room which you can easily use with your mp3 player if you have a 3.5mm cable (so is definitely worth bringing one of those). The staff were generally friendly and welcoming, I generally never had any issues with checking in or the time it took to get things done).

A few reviews have mentioned issues with all of the loungers being reserved during the day, it was fairly busy whilst we were there and we never had this problem once. Each day we were able to get a lounger with no issues.

Now the not so good:

I cannot believe that a hotel priced as highly as this one does not have decent wifi available, it was intermittent and slow for the first few days and for the last few days I could not connect at all.

No attempt was made for any of the staff to take drink orders around the pool, on the one occasion I approached the ordering point I was greeted by one non-English speaker and two other employees who thought it was hilarious that their colleague was having such difficulty understanding me.

On the last night we decided to order dessert to our room to enjoy whilst packing our bags, bearing in mind it was only 8pm and the restaurant was open for another couple of hours yet I did not expect to find out that 4 of the 6 desserts were no longer available. We ended up ordering ice cream (despite them actually not having all of the advertised flavours) only to receive the wrong quantity and the wrong selection. We sent it back and then after a fruitless conversation on the phone decided to give up. The frustrating part of this episode was that our first choices were dishes that included bananas but were told they had run out of bananas. About two minutes walk from the hotel was a store selling bananas by the bucketload, wouldn't have took much for one of them to walk down there especially as 3 of their 6 desserts contained banana.

When checking out some items appeared on the bill that we had not used from the mini bar, for the sake of a couple of pound I just paid for them rather than having an argument but this is still poor form.

Overall this is a very nice hotel that is well situated, the issues I had can be easily rectified so hopefully they sit up and take notice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank robfjonesuk
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Beachfront resort in Ao Nang, this first stop in our Andaman Sky holiday, who put together a great itinerary at a great price, thanks to them for a wonderful holiday at a great price.This resort is brilliantly located right next to the best bit of Ao Nang beach, near several massage places. The room we got was a Pavilion Suite and our agent requested and got us an upstairs one next to the pool and near to the sea, it's good to be upstairs (only a single flight of stairs) so you get a breeze and privacy, plus it's good to be next to the pool as that way there is more fresh air (the ones behind ours were a bit gloomy and didn't get the breeze like ours. So thanks to our agent for getting us one of the best rooms and thanks to the staff a the Golden Beach for a great stay. The room was spotless, service standards were much higher than I had been led to believe by other reviewers on this website, and the breakfasts were good - can't comment on the lunches and dinners as we almost always are out.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I live and work in Thailand so I have traveled around the country quite a bit. I have to say that aside from the location, which is great, and the pool area, there is nothing really positive to say about this hotel.

The breakfast, which is not good at all, is served in a fly-infested room. The food is bland and not befitting a "four star" hotel. If I want processed cheese and spaghetti for breakfast I'll go to 7-11. Right, the service is terrible. The girls at the front desk can't even sort out internet, IN THE LOBBY, for you. My mom asked several times for help with getting online, only to be told various lines (the wi fi was "getting fixed", etc). Ah, the rooms are musty and very inadequate for the price. The tv (yes I know you don't go on vacation to watch tv, but I would still like to have CNN or BCC) has about 18 channels, most of which are in Thai. The beds are hard, as are the pillows, and the rooms in general are just very old. Oh, the maid is great, but alas the rooms are not worth the price.

I mentioned previously that the pool area was great, and it was, but what I failed to tell you was that the pool closes at 6pm. Yes, you read that correctly. It doesn't open till about 7am and CLOSES at 6. What kind of hotel closes its pool before the sun even sets? I'm serious about this. What, you're reading your Kindle, waiting to take a few pics of the sunset and they ask you to leave.

I will say though, again, that the beach is close by, as is the downtown area, but like all of Ao Nang, this place simply isn't worth your time or money.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed make sure you ask more than once. We showed up to twin beds, even after ask...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family