“Wierdest staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
New Delhi, India
“Wierdest staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The staff of hotel is rude, unfriendly, unwelcoming.They have no hospitality etiquettes.
Believe me , they are really big IGNORANTS, with an excuse of Language problem.The management should upgrade the staff as Best Western is preffered for its world chains.
Check in was terrible, we had to wait for 2 hours & was not even offered water, poor kitchen service, no room service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gauravs99

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Positive points:
-Location is slightly further away from the main road but it gives you a good night sleep without the sound of the clubs/pubs blasting throughout the night. Be prepared to walk at least 15 minutes (Normal pace) to reach the beach. You can find some affordable F&B right outside of the hotel area, perhaps just 5 minutes away but do not expect it to be some fancy restaurants. It is just simple hawker stalls. Good enough to fill you up.

-Internet was exceptionally fast. However, limited to only 1 device at a time

-Small drinks to quench your thirst upon arrival

-Not sure about the pool but it looks clean and well maintained

Negative points
-Rather poor check in experience. The first receptionist who dealt with us initially could not explain properly with regards to our room payment. The second receptionist came after that to assist her colleague to explain to us but she came off as if she was bossing us around. No warm smile at all! Seems like it's a business as usual for them

-Bellboy assisted us to carry luggage to our room. He gave us a smile, which cooled us off a little bit but after putting down the luggage and explaining to us about the room so briefly adding on with poor English, he went motionless and looked at us again with hands reaching out to us. It seemed to us that he wanted some tips. Aw come on, this is part of your job description as a bellboy! Where is the sincerity in your service, Best Western?

-Kettle and bath tub had some disgusting stain in it. We stayed for 5 days and the stain was still in it. Amazing

-No employee to greet us or at least, jot down our names when we were about to have breakfast. No need to talk about the food quality because most reviewers here have sum it up well. My conclusion, not up to the standard

-Can you believe that an employee who work in such reputed hotel does not know what is sunny side up?

-During our breakfast, the employees do not bother to clear our dirty plates, allowing them to stack continuously on our table. Instead, they stood and chat happily in the kitchen.

-We borrowed an universal plug from a receptionist with a deposit of 300 Baht. And when we were about to return it and requested for our deposit back, a brand new receptionist from different shift was completely clueless about it. It took almost 10 minutes to solve the puzzle. A simple and proper shift handover could have save the day, no?

-Named the hotel as Resort and Spa but we weren't inform that spa was shut down. What a joke!

-My final point here may help you to decide whether or not this hotel suits you. On the night before we departed from Krabi, we requested for a shuttle bus worth 150 Baht. The male receptionist (Could not remember his name well) was struggling to understand us and we are trying our best to use the most simple English on Earth to get through him. And so, he said ok and he would get it arranged and call us in 30 minutes. Great! We walked back to our room and after 5 minutes, our room phone rang. I said to myself WOW, talk about maximum job efficiency! Unfortunately, he called to ask what time we depart from Krabi Airport and I informed him again and that was for the third time in a row. After almost an hour, there were no calls and so I got worried and walked down to the receptionist...Could not find him in front of the counter but found him sleeping back of the house! How couldn't I figure that out?! With no apologies at all, he told me that he could not find shuttle bus for me. WELL, YOU COULD HAVE CALLED TO INFORM?? I said fine and I asked for a taxi worth 600 Baht and he offered a mini BUS worth 700 Baht. I asked why couldn't he get a taxi for us. He replied that he did not know any taxi drivers number at all and continued to offer the mini bus. Long story short, we looked for our own taxi outside of the hotel.

Going back to Best Western again? Naa, I pass.

I am writing this review based on a hotelier experience, knowing what kind of basic service expected from tourist or travelers alike and this kind of service is utterly unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike_Yap15

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Ok people, first off a few good points: location is good, layout and design of the rooms is a bit dated but okay. Pool is nice and seemed well maintained. Check in was relatively smooth - but we shall come back to that.

Bad points: Don't bother to eat, order or have anything to do with the hotel restaurant absolutely hopeless. On our first night an order of a club sandwich and fried rice took around 45mins and 2 phone calls before arriving. On the last day an order of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich took almost 1.30mins at the cost of 145 bhat. Perhaps they were busy you assume? There was a total of 6 customers in the restaurant (including myself and wife) and we watched for almost an hour as 6 members of staff stood around chatting in the kitchen. When the sandwich finally arrived i was handed some old bread with a single piece of ham and cheese. I asked to speak with the manager immediately to which they refunded the cost. I left hungry. How difficult is it to make a sandwich. Seriously is this a joke?

Rest and relaxation you're after? Was woken up from 8am to the sound of wild saxaphones courtesy of the hotels music system. After an hour listening to the same few songs on repeat I asked for them to shut it off. Its suppose to be a relaxing holiday why they were blaring this music makes no sense.

Finally, on check out they charged us for a complementry beer. On the first day a member of staff brought us some fruit and 2 beers as a welcome and because it was our honeymoon. How nice, so we thought. There were already 2 beers in the fridge (not free) my wife drunk 1 beer, that leaves 3 beers, the maid replaced 1 beer that equals 4 beers. Yet this basic math was lost on the staff on check out who insisted the beer was not free and there should be 2 beers in the fridge, we explained well there are now 4 beers. You have magically gained 2 beers! They then acted as if we were making it up by asking which member of staff brought you the beers and fruit etc? To which we just gave up and paid. We think the staff just wanted to make some extra money.

Would I stay there again? No. Maybe try the other best western.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank BrotherKenny
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Got a great deal on latestays for 1100baht/night.Since there are two Best Western hotels in Ao-Nang, the taxi driver dropped me off at the wrong one resulting in a bit of a hike to the right one.

Hotel
Service; Very nice and friendly staff, very helpful and sweet.
Rooms; Comfy bed, really nice spatious balcony, nice tv with international channels, free wifi in rooms and in the entire hotel, overall clean and comfortable.
Facilities: Pool is clean, ok. Poolbar inside pool, plus for fatboy beanbags in addition to the sunbeds.
Restaurant: Good thai food, great service and ok prices. Never tried the breakfast though.
Location: A little hike uphill from the main street of Ao-Nang, the two main beaches Nopparat and Ao Nang beach are within walking distance, but if you're looking for beach front, I'd opt for another hotel.
Value for money: For what I payed, I got fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: If your're travelling with kids and with a stroller, the hotel building where I stayed at the th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jo W
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel itself looks quite nice and peaceful, I also like the fact that it is not directly located on the bigger street, yet it is in walking distance to the sea. However, I have given the rating "terrible" for many reasons, of which I chose some examples:

- the toilet in our room was not flushing at all from day one, and even after 5 days of asking to have it fixed, instead of fixing the issue, the staff blamed it on us ("you broke it"). Toilet still didn't work, which made the room less of a nice place to stay.

- the service around the pool was inadequate; we ordered burgers, one cocktail and a beer. The meat pallets on the burgers were super tiny, and the staff even apologized for that (it seemed like normally they would be bigger, perhaps in the high season). In the end, however, they asked us to pay the same price and denied any discount in a rude way. The cocktail and beer didn't come at all, the staff just forgot about that. That is not what you expect, especially when there are more employees than customers around the pool area.

- the breakfast was a joke. There is some toast, butter, eggs, jam in two different colors and some Thai food. Occasionally small pancakes and fruits. I would expect more than that. Off-season or not.

- the TV in our room, advertised as "Color Satellite TV" had just a few channels, and every single one of them was malfunctioning, either the picture or audio was not working properly or both. Not able to watch TV at all.

- the hotel is called "Resort & Spa". The whole spa area, however, was closed during our stay. It would have been nice to be informed about that, before I paid the same price as other people who had the chance to enjoy the spa.

During almost every conversation with the hotel's staff, I got the feeling to be unwanted, or some kind of burden to the employees. I am living and working in Thailand since about 3 years, so I understand a bit of language and culture. I have not been unnecessarily rude to the people, but became more and more irritated as my vacation progressed. In my opinion, I have also not been a customer with any special wishes, nor am I difficult to satisfy.

I can recommend this hotel to people who want to stay in a decent room (if you are lucky and the toilet works), but who do not need to be pampered by good service. If you are planning to stay most of your time in Krabi outside of the hotel, this one would be the right place for you. I am quite dissatisfied, and hope that some of you might choose to go somewhere else and have a better experience for your money. There are plenty of other hotels in Krabi, and this one will definitely not be my choice ever again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank damod87
KL,M'sia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The location of this hotel is up a little slope, more than 500 metres away from the beach.... which is just PERFECT because it was really peaceful and quite but within easy walking distance to A WIDE VARIETY OF shops, eateries, massage centres as well as the beach !! As expected of Best Western hotels, the rooms as well as hotel grounds were immaculately clean. The staff were polite and helpful. The pool, was very nice, although in reality is not as large as what was professionally photographed. The "spa pool" which is located on top of the swim up bar was "fantastic" and my 3 days stay at the hotel would be more perfect had it been filled up all the time .... same goes for the gym and sauna which were closed !! The breakfast spread was basic with an egg station. Overall, I would say that the hotel and the staff delivered service beyond expectations for the price paid. It was low season and I must say that I enjoyed budget hotel rates for international standard room and facilities.

Room Tip: Tell the staff in advance if your check-out time is before the opening hours of the breakfast restau...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KrisNWM
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Great Thai ambiance and very open feel Good pool although gym equipment a bit outdated
Free wifi in room and around resort Good breakfast and friendly staff Good views most rooms all with balcony
When it rains satellite reception fades for TV but should get BBC world news Nat Geo Fox Movie Premium RT and local channels
Walking distance to beach 5 minutes Ao Nang turn left at main road, turn right to local beach Nophathara and a 20 minute walk to a fantastic beach at low tide with white sand and thousands of shells
Very safe beach for kids with very flat sands and shallow water

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple