We've been to Thailand many times and we're getting more dissappointed with our experience as time goes by, to the extent where we probably wont go back again, Krabi - Ao Nang - is an example of how its lost its charm, but charges twice as much for the privilege. The price for Somkeit Buri is probably standard for the town, but in general, over priced for the experience and country.
Here were the bad things:
1. No tea / coffee making facility
2. Room 1015 has no proper shower
3. Downstairs rooms are dark
4. The TV does not even have an international news channel like bloomberg, CNN, or BBC World, or sports, so is a waste of time
5. They don't provide mosquito nets or coils and there are mosquitos everywhere
6. Our pool towels got wet and sandy on the beach and they didn't change them
7. It rained a lot, but the staff didn't take in the mats on the sun loungers, which then got soaked. Whe the rain stopped, the dirty water leaches out into your towel, clothes, etc making the experience of sitting by the pool very unpleasant
8. The loungers and tables are made of solid wood, heavy to move around, which you may want to do because there is little sun by the pool
9. The bottled drinking water is foul tasting and the toilettries very cheap
10. There were only two pillows with one extra
1. The breakfast was really good by Thai standards, they even had proper brown bread (although the coffee and tea were cold)
2. The setting is very charming and provides more character than some of the other resorts
3. The location in the middle of the main strp is good, its off a side street to no noise from the road either
4. The staff were generally friendly and helpful
5. The onsite spa is nice, don't be put off by the prices, they have a 50% off deal and do a 390 BHT 1 hr Thai massage
6. The pool is nice
7. The room was large and clean with decent furnishings
8. Airport drop off was smooth in a nice, safe, modern mini-van
Our stay certainly wasn't memorable, but this is a combination of the average resort and location, the resort doesn't serve alochol by the way - not an issue as you can buy your own in the numerous mini-marts nearby.
Compared to other places we saw though, if this is your budget its not a bad choice if you're set on Krabi / Ao Nang. Railay was more of a real Thai experience but the beaches seem to dissappear entirely with the tide. The best bar was The Coconut Bar, out of Somkeit Buri, turn right on the main road, about 100m. live music most night, really good when the girl sings. Cocktails are expensive though at about 200 BHT and not well made and tight on the alcohol.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Somkiet Buri Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somkiet Buri Hotel Ao Nang
- Somkiet Buri Krabi
- Somkiet Buri Resort Krabi/Ao Nang