“Receptionist manner disgusting”

Ranked #56 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Wellington, New Zealand
“Receptionist manner disgusting”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just got home from fantastic holiday in Ao Nang and re-reading reviews about this hotel. More interesting now I've stayed at Somkiet Buri myself.

There were a few niggly things about the accommodation and I wasn't going to bother writing a review until I encountered the Receptionist being incredibly rude to my husband, who asked for assistance to book a taxi to the airport. I don't know if she was annoyed because we didn't use the van taxi they offer at 700 Baht or if she just enjoys being rude to customers! Hard to say.

We were in room 1011 and had a good view and easy access to the pool, which is lovely. The jungle surroundings and quietness of this hotel made it a nice place to stay. The niggles were the drain in the bath blocked, the toilet didn't flush properly, the basin plug didn't work and only way to empty was pulling out plug to drain (can't remove plug altogether as permanent fixture). The shower holder had obviously broken off at some stage. When replacing it the holder has been put at a lower level making it too low for even people of average height. I agree with an earlier review about inadequate lighting for the room too.

The breakfast had nice food on offer, however the hygiene left a bit to be desired. Most of the food was left uncovered so had flies crawling on it and also birds were pecking at the pastries and bread (the catering staff saw this but didn't do anything about it).

It's great to know this place is for sale. I will check out reviews this time next year - as someone else said this would be a wonderful place in different hands and we love Ao Nang so plan to return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank habbie200

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
vancouver, bc
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Ao Nang is a very busy town. This hotel is truly steps away from it all but is a quiet oasis. We booked the family room which is huge, and loved the pool.
I must address the recent negative reviews. I'm not sure what was so irritating to these people. We were very satisfied. I am wary of reviewers who spend their precious vacation time taking pictures of peeling paint or cracked tiles. The hotel is not 5 star but it's lovely.
The staff were fine. I don't need them waiting on me hand and foot. They helped us out with miscellaneous minor things when we asked. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant. It was mostly deserted. They could use a liquor license. Plus the out-of-the-way location does not draw diners into the street. As noted by others you can get your alcohol at the 711 or minimart a few steps away and have it in your room or by the pool.
The buffet breakfast was totally fine, except the coffee was not very hot and the cups were too small. These are minor complaints. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: poolside or large family room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank birtukan
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was First time in Krabi and choose Somerkit Buri, because I like to be
in a room with the view of lush garden.
That was it !

You cannot imagine what is coming from the small way to the hotel,
but once you enter, you are like in small jungle.
The path to my room was made by wood,
the stream of a small river can be seen among trees.

The restaurant is also surrounded by green. They offer very good
Thai foods which was introduced in the book of Lonely Planet as well.
( I knew it afterwards.)
The attitude of the hotel staffs is normal, not very kind, not rude, just help the guests.

I was staying in Sep. when the rainy season. I asked the restaurant to make some
my favorite Thai food and they suggested it to bring to my room, that time
it rained very hard. It was good kindness.

From my room the view was natural pond, because I asked to have a quiet room.
There is a beautiful pool, off course, surrounded by green, so if people like
the view of the swimming pool.

Wifi can be used at the reception, the speed was OK.
I wish they can provide Wifi in each room, but I think it will be still dream, though.

They provide 2 pair of black beach sandals in rooms, however, the size was big.
I wish they also provide a small size. Anyway I should have brought mine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank annadiving
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Somkiet Buri, a few words, is a nice, inexpensive hotel in Ao Nang. The setting is attractive, as it's the only economy hotel in the middle of a tropical forest, meaning it's separate from all the jam-packed condos on all sides. The rooms are large, clean and quiet. The hotel provides flip-flops, pool towels and bathrobes to use during your stay. They also help arrange whatever activity you're looking for, from island hopping to cooking classes, and they'll even arrange for transport. The breakfast was basic, good and served promptly. One nice touch: you could order your eggs whatever way you wished, from omlettes to scrambled. They also served thai food such as green curry, a nice touch. Overall I recommend this hotel as a low-cost, no-fuss solution.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank James O
UK
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived here the staff were unfriendly, unhelpful and indifferent. By the end of our stay here (10 days), staff had become hostile and bordered on haranging us. We have never experienced anything like this anywhere else we have travelled.
We asked to borrow an iron which apparently was unheard of as the hotel didn't possess one and the sneering receptionist took great pride in announcing that she had never been asked for one in the 7 years she had worked there. Without her assistance we were able to purchase one through our kind rep (Asia World - Railay) and have now left it at the hotel for other guests to use. I have no doubt that this will not find its way for others to use! We kept ourselves to ourselves, and due to no alcohol / bar we purchased some local liquor and would sit on our verandah having a quiet drink. We were respectful and polite to local customs due to the hotel being run by Muslims. We were not afforded the same respect. We were harassed by 2 particular members of staff (female, on reception) stating that we had damaged hotel property and that they had tried several times to contact us but we had not answered their calls. We advised them that we were on holiday and spent very little time in the room and asked what the problem was only to be told that we had damaged a hotel sheet which had an ink stain on that they could not remove and they demanded 950 THB. We advised that we had not intentionally damaged anything and would be happy to discuss this with a manager to which we were told that we must report to the manager after breakfast. She was assured that this would not be happening and that if we were approached by the hotel manager we would be happy to discuss their unfounded concerns further. Upon returning to the hotel on a number of occasions after a day out we were called over to reception to be advised that the manager wished to discuss this further in a threatening and aggressive manner. No manager during the duration of our stay ever came to speak with us. We actually did attempt to seek out the manager in the end to complain about the staff who apparently was in the hotel and couldn't be bothered to speak to us. The hotel is apparently for sale. Our advice to any new owner is to sack the staff and start again!
This hotel has wasted potential. We had a poolside room (1012) which was charming, spacious but had no cupboard space for clothing and insufficient lighting in the evening. Pool area beautiful but very shaded. Lovely tropical environment. Whole hotel lacked soul and could be an amazing place in the right hands. Oust the staff, offer a bar and create a holiday environment suitable for all! We have travelled to Thailand previously and stayed in the north and would be extremely wary of staying here!!!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CKHRN
chennai
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for the last 3 nights. The room and the bathrooom were not cleaned properly when we checked in. There were termites in the room. The beach beds in the deck was full of dust. It was never cleaned even once by the house keeping during our entire stay. The toilet seat had some weired stains which could not be taken off. To top it off, Unfriendly & indifferent staff. This resort is set up in a jungle environment. So, not for people who want to see some life / activities around. There were hardly any lights around the resort. It was literally pitch black outside our room. Quite depressing actually. The lights in the room were not sufficient either.

Also, the power ports in these rooms only have 2-point pins. But, we were able to borrow a 2-pin converter from front desk with a 100 baht deposit.
overall, we would NEVER come back to this resort.

Room Tip: Not all pool view rooms have a direct view of the pool. ours (1012) did not.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fanofflying
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Somkiet Buri is a nice hotel inside a natural garden in the middle of Ao Nang. The room is large and clean with some nice design patterns on the floor. It was really creative how they designed the flooring around swimming pool with floral motives. It was also nice that the receptionist allow us to lend travel adapter to charge our hand phones during our stay. The hotel also provide slippers for you to use during your beach activities. If you would like to keep the slippers they charged you only THB100 per slipper. They also provide shuttle (motorbike tuk tuk) to anywhere you want. They also can pick you up at certain time you requested. Sometimes i paid them some tip and sometimes i don't... The breakfast was basic, but interesting as they served thai food such as green curry and its quite tasty. Overall I really recommend this hotel especially to muslim traveller.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple