Krabi La Playa Resort
US$105
US$97
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Peace Laguna Resort and Spa(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$67
  • Pool
Krabi Resort(Ao Nang)
US$81
US$68
Very Good 4/5
Deevana Plaza Krabi Aonang(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$66
Very Good 4/5
Aonang Villa Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$77
US$76
US$70
Great 4.5/5
US$214
US$179
  • Breakfast included
Aonang Paradise Resort(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
US$43
US$35
Very Good 4/5
Phra Nang Inn(Ao Nang)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$51
Trip.com
US$110
US$95
Excellent 5/5
1,082 results
All reviewspool barbeach bagemerald poolpool access roombars and restaurantspool sidethe main roadstreet vendorstour desklarge poolgreat pooldeluxe roomstayed here for nightsnoodlesrainy seasonegg stationlanguage barrier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed 7 nights in January and whilst we had a good time, given we payed $170Aud a night for a pool access room with jacuzzi that did not work, it's not entirely worth it. Room was spacious and comfortable. Decent sized bathroom, tv, DVD, coffee and tea making facilities, reasonablypriced mini bar and rooms well serviced. A few things that didn't meet expectation were the jacuzzi that didn't work, the in room safe (despite being fixed promptly) failed to work twice, on site massage very average with masseurs talking the whole way through. Breakfast was ok but nothing to rave about. Restaurant for lunch and dinner very quiet despite hotel being close to fully booked. other concern was sometimes the operator did not understand English. the great things we did like were the pools, ambience, size of room, overall great housekeeping and pool was cleaned thoroughly for several hours each and every morning. La playa has a convenient location and no need to venture far for good food, pharmacy, mini marts etc. We chose to eat at Palm Court at the Centara which is on Moo 3. take the walkway near the spa area and you'll find some good options there. Laundry also much cheaper at mini mart at 40baht per kilo as opposed to astronomical price at the La Playa. Also an ATM is conveniently located within 100 m outside the walkway when turning right.

Room Tip: we were at the back of the property and is was quiet. I had no issue with the pool access but just ensure that if you really are planning on the jacuzzi ( which you pay more for) actually works.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this hotel and everything about this hotel was just great!

1) Very close to the harbour if you've signed up for the island trips,
2) Walking distance to shops,
3) Plenty of varieties of Restaurants/Cafes to dine in,
4) Massages are excellent!
5) The pool side cafe serves very nice food and cocktails too.
6) Breakfast at the hotel serves quite a variety of food to choose from.

If you're lucky to get a room on the ground floor, you'd get to jump into the pool right off your balcony!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel A
Reviewed 2 February 2012

There is certainly some people who will never be pleased unless they are treated like royalty for a peanut price. The below review does not reflect this hotel correctly at all. This was our 3rd trip to Thailand in 2 years and on this trip we stayed at 3 other hotels before arriving at La Playa in Krabi. The hotel is very well maintained and the rooms are very spacious, as is the bathroom with huge shower recess. We booked 2 direct pool access B rooms and both were cleaned well everyday by extremely happy staff. O.K. no one here speaks much English, but lets not forget it is us in their country! I don't speak much Thai either. Each time if I couldn't be understood, the staff went to fetch someone who could speak better English and our requests were met in quick time and always by smiling faces.

The breakfast was not the absolute best I've ever had thats for sure, but it was quite good and all of us thought there was plenty to fill up on to start the day, including some self serve coffee machines which were good. Cooking your own bacon is fine as it doesn't take long and you can leave it to cook whilst collecting eggs or whatever else you want... people really are precious about this it seems.

The location suited us as we had already been to beautiful beaches at Phi Phi so we were happy to go on other trips such as a great day out which included White Water Rafting and A.T.V. Bikes, a great lunch was included and a trip to the Monkey Temple. This is were you need to be a bit careful as the prices for trips vary a lot. The hotel advertised a price of 3500baht for a similar day trip, we found a place that offered the trip for 2900baht each, but as there was 5 of us we negotiated a price of only 1800baht each! so shop around and barter on all tours. We also did the sunset cruise which wasn't anything to compare with the Phi Phi tours. Anyway, back to the hotel. The only thing I could complain about here is the hard beds - but 99% of Thai hotels seem to be like this and La Playa was probably a bit better than most and are large kingsize. As the below review states, there were some leaves in the pool on one day probably due to wind, but the next day the pool was nice and clean again. I didn't take much notice as we were busy enjoying ourselves, but certainly the people we met at La Playa seemed happy and it was good chatting to the different nationalities around the pool.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank JessGirls
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Right we went to Thailand for our Honeymoon. 7 nights booked for this place after spending some time in Bangkok. We were told and apparently so are a lot of people that La Playa is 3 or 4 star.

Anyway. we arrived in this location. Sat in the lobby and served some drinks as we waited for our room key/paperwork etc. They do this for everyone it seems. We got to our room to find a nice towel arrangement and some flower petals on the bed. We were also promised champagne and fruit, we hadn't recieved these yet. The room was the 'delux/superior room'. It is fairly large and based above the pool access rooms. Or at least ours was. The pool had some old school machine throwing water into the pool itself. The pool was dirty in that it had many leaves and roughage in it. Immediately we noticed that the pictures of lovely skies from their own brochures were a lie as the pool side is surrounded by neighbouring high rise buildings. The corridor to our room had some wooden boarding blocking the view to these neighbouring buildings. Along side us in our room we had other guests. Cockroaches. Nice! The bathroom had no bath. Just a shower. taps of which were rusty. Tiles were scumy. The whole bathroom looked like it needed more then just a good scrub. However it too was a spacious room. After a hunting session(cockroaches!) and the first night of the relaxing part of our honeymoon ruined, we decided to complain. We tried at least, due to the poor english of the staff. We confirmed that this was the superior room at least. We placed a do not disturb sign on our door and after a little while somone barged in with a large rectangular plate with 3 small clementine like fruits in them. No knock no sorry or excuse me, nothing! Also, when I say small I'm talking ping pong sized here! Along side them were 2 small slightly bigger then pea size balls of chocolate, with a ripped sticker saying enjoy your honeymoon or something along those lines. By ripped I mean reused. Pulled off something else causing the rip and then placed on our chocolate pea sized ball packaging! Thanks!

During the night we heard a dripping noise. Apon getting up we seemed to have aquired a waterfall feature in our room. A leak of some sort from the A/C unit possibly. Leaving a large puddle on the floor right on the path to the bathroom. Imagine if we hadn't seen it!

We called for the manager. After much laughing and giggling from the person at reception, we eventually got the manager and a colleague of hers to visit the room. We showed her the leak and the cockroaches. She didn't seemed bothered by any of it. We asked again if this was the superior room and asked to be moved to another due to the leak and cockroaches. Apparently they were fully booked.

We called our agent in the uk who contacted them and apparently they then had other rooms available. We spoke to the manager again who then said no other rooms were avaialbe and if we wanted to leave we'd only pay for the nights we slept in the rooms. so we sorted another hotel(A million times better: Krabi Thai Village) and left.

Can I also add to the above. The staff speak very little English. the manager speaks just enough to understand you. Staff otherwise looked polite.

Breakfast was a joke. Broccoli soup for breakfast? Ok. the rest. Oh my! The toaster was broken and would not move the bread meaning you had to do it with your fingers or a knife!

Quality of nearly everything else was poor. Not much choice, but choice nonetheless! eggs, bacon, cereals, breads sweets things, bland fruit.... Just not much else and not great. I mean it was a joke that they serve this stuff. The quality was just not there! Oh and Butter blocks, in water! I'm guessing this was Ice at some point. which had melted. But come on! Get those indivdual butter tub thigns and serve them out! Dont just cut up a block of butter and dump it in a bowl with ice or water and leave it out in the open!

I'm kinda rushing through this review as It's late. But let me tell you this. I did not see one happy face from any other guest whilst being there.

They charge 300 baht per day for internet access! The hotel we stayed in in Bangkok, which was 5 star, new and a lot better in terms of class and quality only charges 99!

I can not believe this is rated 3 or 4 star. It's barely 2 star at a push.

The hotel is a 5 or ten minute walk to Ao Nang beach, depending on your pace. The hotel is down what appears to be an alley type road. It's not scary or anything. In fact I wouldn't even call it an alley. It's a road. Theres a tour place at the end of its road which was ok. The little supermarket up there was lame lol.

All in all we will never go back there. We will never recommend it either.

Oh and to top it off the manager still tried to charge us for the 3rd night despite us having checked out all ready!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank EndohR
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Apologies for the late review; we travelled (my sister, niece and I) Easter 2010 but better late than never! And given some of the negative reviews I have read on here, I want to give an unbiased review. Here is the real deal :)

After a long flight from London to Bangkok with Thai Airways (totally charming staff, spacious plane, great food, drinks on tap, but no screens on seats and so no choice about entertainment) and a connecting flight to Krabi (only an hour or so), it really did fell like we had been travelling for a while. But it was easy and comfy enough so no big deal. We were met at the airport with a cab and whisked off to La Playa resort (about 45 mins- an hour). The scenery was beautiful and we really did feel that we were miles from home.

I did my research properly so knew what the hotel was going to be like. It's not on the beach. In fact, it's tucked away, up a small road and alley, about a 5 minute walk from the beach. The entrance to the hotel is small, but totally charming in every way. Service was understated and professional. We were taken to our room and happily surprised; the room was well air conditioned, spacious, clean and with a good sized balcony with a partial sea view. As we arrived ealry afternoon, we had a chance to use the pool area. It was always quiet and plenty of loungers available. I really can't stress how peaceful it felt. The swim up bar is a lovely addition and you can get hot food there as well; bliss.

The restaurant is absolutely fine. We had 2 dinners in the hotel. Again, it was quiet (there are so many other places to eat in the area) but the food was good. I always had Thai food and loved it, but there is a real selection if Thai isn't your thing. Breakfast time. What are some people fussing about?? "You have to cook your own bacon?" What kind of a comment is that?! It's buffet style. There is an egg chef too for yummy omelettes. There is enough to please most people unless you are a greasy spoon fanatic; but why would you expect that in Thailand?? And yes, you have to cook your own bacon and I thought that was such a nice touch. Not just that, but I always threw on some tomatoes! Anyway, I like my bacon crispy, so, result :)

You can book excursions through the hotel and we really enjoyed the kayaking tour (just stunning scenery whilst kayaking around different islands...I mean stunning) and the elephant trek was great fun. I'm not getting into the politics of it, but they seemed well looked after to me.

If you walk down to the beach, you have 2 options. Go to the right and you will find tens and tens of boats (and not the part of the Ao Nang beach to swim in my view). This is where i recommend you spend what turns out to be a small amount of money, to get your own boat and captain for the day! There are lots of options in terms of itineraries, but you won't be disappointed. We had a fantastic day; snorkeling, visiting an isalnd to see monkeys, relaxing on a sand bank...etc. You must do it. OK, and if you turn left at the beach, you will find the main stretch of Ao Nang and the nicer beach, perfect for swimming. This is also where you will find loads of restaurants and bars. They were all much a much. I really wish I could remember the name of a restaurant high up in the hills overlooking the bay (they have a shuttle to take you up) as it was beautiful. Essentially, from the hotel, walk in the opposite direction to the beach (you will pass some clothes shops) and it is advertised on some billboards. It is more than worth it for the fantastic Thai food, the incredible views and the wonderful experience. We went twice and would go back again in a shot. I've included a picture of us up there whilst the sun was setting. Please make the effort to find it, you won't be disappointed!

I'd like to say that all ended well, but alas,, the asj cloud stopped us from getting home for another 2 weels!!! You might think, great! But with no money left, being relocated to Bangkok (great city, but wasn't safe at that time), it was quite stressful. However, a couple years on, I am so ready to re-visit Thailand. It's a fantastic country and I can't wait to go back.

Please do ask if you have any questions. La Playa is not the Ritz, but it was our perfect little getaway. And make sure you get out and see some of Thailand! Great value for money.

Room Tip: Decide if you want jacuzzi room or swim up room. Otherwise, standard is absolutely fine, but I recommend being high up for a sea view!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family