“Bad Decision, Wouldn't Stay again”

Krabi La Playa Resort
Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
washington
“Bad Decision, Wouldn't Stay again”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Booked this hotel for one night, superior rooms, as it was on sale when I was looking. We have stayed in Ao Nang previously two years ago, so I was familiar with the area. As far as being out of the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang, it is in a good, quiet location. Check in was fine, staff was friendly. But our room was sub-standard. Dirty- with sand and dust from previous occupants. The bed was horrible--it was like a bad motel 6 bed. Additionally, the room could be made into a double and instead of putting the beds side by side, so basically my husband and I would each have our own mattresses, they put them hamburger style so that the seam of the two beds was right at your hip while sleeping--super uncomfortable. The bed, plus the lack of cleanliness is why I wouldn't go back. The breakfast was average-or as expected. The hotel shuttle to the airport is cheaper than a taxi. There was also LOTS of hot water for the shower.(Also, I will say my friend got an upgraded room and had no complaints). We also got a good chuckle out of the comment card filled out by a previous visitor but never picked up--an additional testament to the cleaning staff.
If I went back to Ao Nang, I would probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Ao Nang Buri Resort, both next to each other on Napparat Thera Beach.

Room Tip: Don't get the cheap, superior rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank woodswoman51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The Hotel is located at the quite end of AoNang beach and 100m set back from the road which meant it was not at all noisy. It was however possible to walk everywhere in AoNang.

The room was a bit dated and the shower was not the best but for the price we paid it was not a problem.

Pool/beach towels in a beach bag was a nice touch.

Food was good and well priced.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank padi84
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2013

It was a pleasant stay back in year 2012.
Room was spacious enough with mini balcony.
The best part is, the room has a direct access to the pool where you could jump in anytime.
It's pretty near to the beach, which makes it a very good choice.
Breakfast was not too bad, got all the basics.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We looked at this hotel a few times before we booked and to be honest I looked at most of the reviews before we went there as some hadn't been that nice. We( my partner, our friends and I) stayed at the hotel from the 24th november -7th dec. We had a private transfer from the airport, which was great not having to go to loads of hotels before we got to ours. We got there early but we were lucky that our rooms were ready which was a bonus. I can honestly speak for all of us when I say we had one of the best holidays we ever had! The staff are just fantastic, most spoke perfect english especially Pond and Ron. The hotel itself is great, although its off the main road you dont hear no noise at all. The rooms are just brilliant,very spacious, clean and tidy. Like most people the comments about the beds are true, they are quite hard but as we have a hard bed at home it didnt really bother us.The breakfast in the hotel is great, there is everything from cereals to bacon. You can eat as much as you like. We had a superior room each and were next door to each other which was novel. You also got a beach bag which contained a beach mat and two towels, I think this is a great idea and more hotels should do it.There is three pools to choose from and also loads of beds. Although the hotel is only bed and breakfast there is plenty of great restuarants to eat at. There is everything from seafood, thai, italian, and even mcdonalds at burger king. The food vendors on the street outside the hotel are just great! The food is fab and so cheap and trying it is an absolute must!!!! There are loads of great pubs to go to, echo bar is really good, also je'taime but there is many more in the square.There is loads of things to do, we did something everyday, we took a local long boat to railay beach which is about half hour from ao nang, we also did trips through our hotel. we went to james bond island, to the floating village, the tiger cave. We also did a thai cooking course which was great. there is so much to do, you need to just get out there! I certainly recommend doing abit of shopping when you're there. There is a great shop right next door to Burger king, the owner name is Alex, we bought loads of things from him. Everything is so cheap we still haggled though as its fun and i'm not normally into that. Would ceratinly recommend this hotel to anyone and i would go back tomorrow if i could.

Room Tip: we were on the fourth floor and it was great for us, i would defo go for a superior room if you can.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank minstrel78
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff at reception. After reading the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised.

We went to our rooms which were spotless. The towels were made into elephants and there was a beach bag with beach towels and mats which was a nice touch. In the wardrobe there were slippers, flip flops and umbrellas! The tea and coffee was replenished daily as was the complimentary drinking water. In the bathroom there were large bottles of shower gel, lotion and soap along with cotton buds.

Other reviews say the beds were hard but I found them so comfortable and had a great nights sleep for the full 14 nights I was there. The rooms were really quiet which was a bonus.

Breakfast was also vast with something for everyone. Previous reviews mentioned there was no bacon. There was bacon when we were there which you cook yourself. There is so much choice that I am shocked by the negative reviews. The strawberry yoghurt was amazing!

The pool area was clean and extremely quiet. There are 3 pools and a swim up pool bar. We met Pond and Ron at the pool bar on our first day and they made us feel welcome and made an effort to speak to us thereafter at every opportunity. Truly lovely members of staff who go over and above.

I also read that people were left short of toiletries after room service. This happened on one occasion when we short of toilet roll but we only had to ask and this was topped up for us without any fuss.

The location is great, set back slightly from the main road and about a 5 minute walk to the centre with restaurants and bars along the way. There are so many trips to do and this hotel was a great location and not too far from anything. Just outside the hotel on the main road there are food stalls selling freshly cooked food at excellent prices. My pad Thai was made right before my eyes. It was a huge portion and cost only £1 wow!

I would return to this hotel without hesitation as it is friendly, clean, in a great location and offers excellent value for money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Samantha G
Singapore
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our trip to Krabi was our first time. La Playa resort was not our first choice however we did the right choice of choosing this resort compared to the small hotel. The room are big enough for both of us.
La Playa which located center among all the resorts has all what we need. Maybe our expectation is not that high but we felt a warm welcomed and great treated from the local. We felt safe and happy each day.

Because we are new there, whatever question we asked them, they would response with a smile.
We stayed for 3 nights. We went to the beach in the evening, a distance from the resort to Ao Nang Beach cooling and windy every night. The sunset is so romantic.

Our meals are awesome each day. My boyfriend like seafood, so we will be hunting down alot of restaurant with good food. The local recommended us this called Wang Sai Sea Food.
We have to walk about 25 to 30 mins when we come out from our resort, this is pretty fine. As we could exercise alittle bit before having our dinner. The price is reasonable too. The food definitely yummy too.

Next we went to Lae Lay Grill which is also recommended from the local, this restaurant is located high up at the high top. but don't you need to worry. Because there is a tutu taxi for free arrange by Lae Lay Grill if you make your reservation with them. Finest food and charming Thai hospitality at the most affordable price. I shall not talk much about this restaurant, you need to find out yourself, I assure you will not regret.
Lae Lay Grill is a place where you can see the view of Krabi Bay, and it is very beautiful when it come to sunset! Because morning we are playing the activities or snoring on bed. Hahaha

I have recommended 2 restaurant, now I shall talk about the activities.

I engage with a tour See Tho Holidays. This is up to you to choose, they manage for us our activities the whole day. Activities must engage with a tour so that they can bring you to the place. And there is no extra cost once you engage with them. And if you are planning your activities yourself, you shall not mind paying extra them the others do.
There is not activities made by the resort. And there is no activities at Ao Nang Beach just because the wave is too dangerous and strong.

The shopping paradise alongthe street will be the best if you can shop at the night. Alot of tourist same as me will be shopping around for the best item/souvenir to bring back home. You guys should take a chance dropping by at Krabi Ao Nang Beach.

I hope to visit again. See you again La Playa resort and Ao Nang beach.
You gave us sweet memories and value services.
Good luck.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JuanJuanO
UK
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

The Hotel, as others have said, is well located within easy walking distance of Ao Nang beach and has good pool facilities. But the Hotel would benefit from much stronger management and attention to detail. My room could have been a lot cleaner and certainly free from biting insects - I get very fed up with waking up in the morning to discover I've been bitten during the night, which doesn't happen in clean establishments. Also, I was amazed to see left-over room service items abandoned outside a door for three days until I mentioned it at Reception. These things don't happen in hotels with strong supervision.

So my view on La Playa is that, as currently run, it may meet the (low) expectations of budget visitors but do not choose it for that special holiday. You may end up remembering it for some of the wrong reasons.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo