“Well located, clean and comfortable”

Krabi La Playa Resort
Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Well located, clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had 4 nights here at the beginning of December and we loved the island, the town and the beaches.

The room was clean, the bed was borderline comfortable and the staff were friendly.

Krabi really buzzes and we enjoyed our time here though it's not a hotel we will return to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrey R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights at the start of dec. Very nice place nothing to moan about really ,nice staff nice location ,breakfast fine lots to choose from .. could do with some more sunbeds . i had a massage from the spa which was very relaxing all in all nice stay The room has best power shower ever i must of been in there for a hour a day

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank dinlonation82
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here in July 2013. Room was on the top floor so had many steps to go up and down each day (many times). Short walk to beach. Breakfast was great. Room was fantastic and always cleaned well with new sheets and towels.

Room Tip: Get room on third floor - 301 - 304
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Coopoerman1956
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have just returned from a fabulous 3 week Christmas holiday to Thailand. We spent a week in Krabi and stayed at the Krabi La Play which was lovely. It was fantastic value for money both to stay and whilst there – we spent most of our time around the pool with its wonderful swim up bar. Perfect! Drinks were good value, as was the lunch menu.
The location was superb – just a short walk from the centre where all the bars and restaurants are and close to the beach. The staff were friendly and couldn’t do enough for us and overall I was really impressed.
I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a top location and value for money.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sukanya c
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We arrived in the evening of 25th - Christmas. The reception staff tell us that there is a problem with room availability, despite that we booked 3 months in advance. They gave us the option (with not real option) of another hotel.

We were bundled off to Ayothaya Hotel & checked in. It was far away from town. We were taken to a pool-side room. Except that the room hadn't been renovated since the early 1990's - it was OLD & very run down. At this point I'm unhappy. The pool area is unlit - in complete darkness! Facilities are in disrepair, concrete construction, pools of stagnant water.

We tuk tuk into town. After dinner I go into La Playa to compare. It looked lovely - INCOMPARIBLE to what they had "upgraded" us to. It was a BARE FACED LIE. They were trying to short change us. I went to La Playa reception & demanded a solution. They maintained that Ayothaya was the only option. I replied that this is unacceptable. Finally after much waiting they arranged a room at The Small Hotel, a sister hotel located 2min from La Playa. The room was ok so we accepted the change. They offered us a free 2 hour massage & free dinner.

We were at reception the next morning to book the massage. I heard the receptionist giving the exact same story to another family with 2 young kids! We later talked with the couple. They were also taken to Ayothaya but refused to check in. The wife knew that this was a much cheaper hotel. They had to wait 3 hours at reception & finally were moved to The Small Hotel.

The free dinner was worthless. I signed for it & saw the cost - a paltry 250 baht each, SGD $10. That's a joke.

On check out, they gave me a waiver stating that I wouldn't complain. I refused to sign.

On the airport transfer, we talked to a couple sharing the van. They also checked in on the 25th. Turns out they were given the same story! Except that the husband refused to move and eventually a room at La Playa was found.

So obviously La Playa massively overbook. It appears to be a regular business practice. I am most angry that they tried to short change us to a very run down old hotel. They only relocated us to The Small Hotel reluctantly. I really had to push

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Your_Monkey_King
washington
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Booked this hotel for one night, superior rooms, as it was on sale when I was looking. We have stayed in Ao Nang previously two years ago, so I was familiar with the area. As far as being out of the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang, it is in a good, quiet location. Check in was fine, staff was friendly. But our room was sub-standard. Dirty- with sand and dust from previous occupants. The bed was horrible--it was like a bad motel 6 bed. Additionally, the room could be made into a double and instead of putting the beds side by side, so basically my husband and I would each have our own mattresses, they put them hamburger style so that the seam of the two beds was right at your hip while sleeping--super uncomfortable. The bed, plus the lack of cleanliness is why I wouldn't go back. The breakfast was average-or as expected. The hotel shuttle to the airport is cheaper than a taxi. There was also LOTS of hot water for the shower.(Also, I will say my friend got an upgraded room and had no complaints). We also got a good chuckle out of the comment card filled out by a previous visitor but never picked up--an additional testament to the cleaning staff.
If I went back to Ao Nang, I would probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Ao Nang Buri Resort, both next to each other on Napparat Thera Beach.

Room Tip: Don't get the cheap, superior rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank woodswoman51
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The Hotel is located at the quite end of AoNang beach and 100m set back from the road which meant it was not at all noisy. It was however possible to walk everywhere in AoNang.

The room was a bit dated and the shower was not the best but for the price we paid it was not a problem.

Pool/beach towels in a beach bag was a nice touch.

Food was good and well priced.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple