Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Tonsai Bay Resort(Krabi Town)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Sunda Resort(Ao Nang)
4,100 results
All reviewsmonkey trailon the rockslotus courtfloating jettyshuttle boatthai restaurantthe club loungeprivate beachspa deluxe roomocean facingfree boatboat servicelow tideonly accessible by boatjacuzzi on the balconybaht bonanzawooden steps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stayed for 10 nights in April with my husband and two daughters (18 & 15). Everything I read about the Centara was true. Such a shame - I was hoping the reviews were exagerations, but unfortunately not - this was not a 5* hotel for various reasons but could be 6* if the management did something.

The position is amazing, absolutely beautiful. We chose this hotel so we could relax, unwind and that the girls could also study for exams in peaceful surroundings. Our room was garden view (basically ground floor) I had emailed the hotel two weeks prior to arriving to upgrade to ocean view but received no reply. I also asked several times to upgrade during our stay but with no luck. Having said that the rooms and balconys are lovely and very large, and a sea view would have made them perfect. We paid for internet access but this was unreliable and didn’t help with study or checking our business at home. Also added bhat bonanza which I wouldn’t advise unless you want to stay in the hotel most of the time. We ended up using ours up in the spa at the end of the holiday, but it is a fraction of the price down on the beach and much more fun! (see below).

Around and about - We booked the shuttle boat home 3 nights out of the 10 no problem and took a long boat home one night as it was closer. We walked the monkey trail several times and yes it is rickety but worth doing. We also walked round the beach 3 nights when there was low tide - you can check this at reception. When you book this hotel you know the position of it so no room for complaint there. The one thing that isn’t made clear is that the shuttle drops and collects you from the far side of Ay Nang and therefore you need to get a tuk tuk or taxi into the town itself. This means if you can walk round or do the monkey trail it is much closer and quicker.
The massage tents on the beach the other side of the monkey trail are definitely worth going to. (about £5 full body oil massage -1hour). We all went together - unfortunately the only dissapointment was for my husband - he got the big mama while my daughters got the pretty young thai girls! We all loved it really and just further on is the Last Fisherman an unpretentious baebecue restaurant on the beach which if you’re looking for a laid back atmosphere and want a break from thai curries this is just what you need.

Trips - we booked in the village and not through hotel rep. Went on the Phi Phi island trip, still got picked up from the hotel pier and got it for 1000 Bhat each instead of 1800 each. We also went over to Railah Beach by longboat for the day - just buy tickets from the kiosk in Ay Nang.

The hotel itself. - Service at breakfast was often slow, clearing tables was sporadic, and sometimes coffee was not offered until we asked for it. Half used milk jugs were not replaced as people arrived at their table and considering there was the dreaded sickness virus there were certainly improvements that could have been made.

Rooms are cleaned daily - not bad but not 5* (tables on balcony not wiped down, crisps remaing from previous evening. Floors not washed in loo. Black rubbish bag left outside on stairwell for 2 days). good points - well designed and very nice, comfortable beds with crisp linen.

Restaurants - plastic glasses for cocktails at the On the Rocks restaurant - not very chic!

Now the dreaded sickness. On arrival we were handed a letter to inform us of a vius and that we should be vigilant. We took our own hand sanitiser with us everywhere as we had previously read about this problem and soon realised it was a big problem. At breakfast hand sanitiser was provided by staff some mornings but not others, and we started noticing families or couples where one of them was missing from breakfast. For this reason my appetite was never great and as a family we couldn’t quite enjoy the food for fear of what was around and made trips to breakfast very short. We didn’t go in the main pool at all but stayed on the beach. We ate out in Ay Nang most nights and twice at the hotel (On the rocks) where I had burger ... and that night I was sick all night. I then couldn’t eat a thing and felt weak all the next day. My husband was sick the following evening.

I reported our sickness to reception and was told our room would be completely sanitised - it wasn’t. I also had my name and room no. taken and was expecting a follow up from the management with some kind of questinnaire: where had I eaten? what had I eaten? had we drunk the tap water? or bottled? had we been in the pool? etc etc but NOTHING.

I could not believe that with so many people dropping like flies - as one guest put it - that there was no organisation of finding the route cause to stop this spreading whether it was a virus or some hygene issue.

The staff were very sweet and friendly and I therefore do not hold them responsible but feel the management are totally to blame. Centara have a hotel situated in one of the most idillic positions in the whole of Thailand and it is criminal that neglect is turning this paradise into a hell you just want to leave.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View but close to beach - its a lon.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jessicaEsher
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Having read the reviews I had to write to say that the hotel works very hard to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. There are no surprises in the fact that it is cut off and can only be reached by boat - that's what it says all over the brochures etc. The monkey trail is nothing to do with the hotel it is maintained and owned by the National Park and the hotel would prefer guests not to use it as it reflects on them. The shuttle boats run by the hotel are well organised and they ask you to book in advance so they know numbers and don't have angry guests stranded on the other side because the boat is full.
The rooms are lovely and cannot be faulted. Our room was supposed to be ocean view but because of the height of the trees the view was obscured. We asked to be moved and was done so immediately to a room with a better view of the sea.
One of the pools was busy but the other pool outside the restaurant was always empty, so almost like out own private pool. There were always masses of loungers not only around the pool but along the front of the beach.
The staff do not all speak immaculate English but hey you're in Thailand, how much Thai do you know?
The Thai culture is to be polite and gentle, if they get aggression from guests I'm not surprised if they feel like being less than helpful.
The prices in the hotel are high but probably no more so than any other five star hotel, with one difference here - everything has to be brought in by boat. They do an excellent job under difficult circumstances but the price that has to be paid for such an idyllic location. I think a well deserved star rating for a truly unique hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceBucks
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This is a great hotel if all your looking to do is to relax and get away from it all. The rooms with Jacuzzis are probably worth the exrtra rate if this is what you are looking for. Amazing sunsets sitting in the tub with a cocktail chilling. However the hotel is extremely expensive for Thailand. You are a little isolated from cheaper restaurants in Krabi resort (you have to take a 15 min hike through the jungle - not recommended for young kids at night). Because of this wine and beer are at premium prices. Sure by western standards its still reasonable - but having traveled Thailand extensively staying in other high end hotels i was begrudged to pay the prices. The staff were friendly and helpful but not 5* as the hotel markets itself. If you are looking for a luxury beach holiday my advice would be go over to phi phi and stay at a high end resort their.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I do not really know where to begin with this feedback. Following our stay at your resort, our disappointment relative to our expectations is hard to describe… but I am going to attempt to do just that.

To begin I give you a description of our family, who we are & our perception ahead of arrival at your resort

• Two Senior executives – we are expats living in Hong Kong and our 3yo little boy
• Well traveled – both for work (traveling a minimum 2 weeks a month) & pleasure (regular weekends/holidays across Asia)
• As a director of a global company, I am responsible for multiple countries across Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa and I understand the cultures of the region and indeed value of client service
• We expected 5 star Asian Resort and were anticipating six nights of bliss
• Brand Association (Sofitel) – highly reputable and known for service

..and then we arrived.

Arriving by boat we would expect that the staff know when guests are reaching the resort. There is, after all, only one way to arrive. We arrived after 4pm and given checkout time is 12 noon, I would have expected our Villa to be ready. Instead we were taken to an area vaguely resembling a lounge and then moved to the ‘Club House’. We were then left for about an hour with no information other than our room was not ready. Upon the offer of a drink, I requested a diet coke, only to be told they did not serve soft drinks until after 5:30. At a resort I would expect any kind of drink to be available at almost any time of the day or night.

Finally our room was ready and we were taken by golf cart to the Villa. We enjoyed the million dollar view!

We were left at the villa and on a quick review of the room we ascertained there was no map to tell us where we were relative to the rest of the resort facilities, two towels for the three of us (this remained the case for the week despite repeated requests for additional towels, in fact we even failed to get face washers after the first day and eventually gave up on this!). There was no Children’s menu provided in the room service menu, and again we eventually gave up asking for one to be provided. Luckily our 3yo only ever wanted fried rice – for breakfast, lunch & dinner!
There was also no cot. When the cot did finally arrive, it was left mysteriously outside the door, of the villa without any bed sheets. Eventually, a rather oversized (queen) bed sheet was provided to us. In the meantime we had attempted to open the blinds. I say attempted as they made absolutely no sense (difficult to explain and I can’t even believe I have to write about the blinds). In fact it wasn’t until late on Day 2 that my husband realized they were attached by Velcro and ripped them down. Velcro?!

But before we get to day 2, we happily set the cot up in the sitting room. We realized this was our mistake, when we ascertained that the doors opening to the balcony and pool did not actually close properly. The end result was if you leant against one door you fell into the pool, a concerning predicament with a 3 year old so we set about strategically rearranging the furniture to prevent this from happening. In fact the doors were so out of alignment it took both my husband and I to lift one of them into place, although it remained ajar. As a result, throughout the night our 3yo son was repeatedly bitten by a swarm of mosquitoes, such that the next day his eye was swollen shut and his arm covered in bites. A trip to the nurse and dosed on anti histamine we began our first real day on holidays. After a trip down the hill to the resort we were headed back up for an afternoon sleep but the Golf cart ran out of battery and we were left to walk! This was not an isolated event and while I am not afraid of a walk, uphill in significant temperatures and humidity with a 3yo and ensuing beach equipment is not ideal! On arrival back in the room the pool towels had not been replaced. After requesting replacement towels, we received 2 towels (again despite being 3 of us) I kept them for fear of never getting them back again. At which point I would note the complete lack of any hooks – a simple yet effective way of allowing guests to hang towels for re-use.

Now we move to the bedroom and the bed. I am sporting 3 grazes and 2 bruises from the bed corners (ok yes I will admit, I should have learned!). Wider than the mattress and shin height, the wooden corners consistently took out our shins so I resorted to placing the couch cushions on the floor for protection! While discussing the bedroom, the main blind (timber slats) some 1 ½-2 m wide required two hands and serious strength to pull up. In the end I had to use the hand towel to prevent burns. Seriously it just doesn’t have to be this hard!

So on to the infinity pool. In principle it is absolutely gorgeous, but NOT CLEAN. You could run your finger over the tiles and see the mark. In fact my husband point blank refused to get in!

At this point the sublime had become the ridiculous and we just started to laugh. Although no fault of the resort, I was then stung by a jelly fish so the holiday just kept getting better – and just when you thought it safe to say enough had gone wrong – my husband wakes up on Day 3 throwing up and with diarrhea.

On bumping into who I can only assume was the General Manager, who did enquire as to my son’s eye, I was promptly told that my husband’s virus would only last 18-24 hours as it seems the virus had spread through the resort. The Manager commented that it was his worst nightmare and walked away! At this point yes I will agree it is and should be his worst nightmare. 5 star, paying guests that have typically taken 2 planes and a boat to reach the resort should not be met with a virus. Of course as it goes, this virus went from my husband, to me and then yes the 3yo.

The room service could be described as mediocre at best and only occasionally did we receive our complete order. Eating out didn’t improve things either, we waited 26 minutes for a drink to show up in a restaurant that was, at best, a quarter full! And very minor in the scheme of things (& something you expect in Asia, although it comes back to the 5 star experience) – I am certain Peter Lehmann would want to see his wine label spelt correctly on the menu!

Also for a resort that is extremely isolated it would make sense to operate with a no cash policy throughout your stay. Having enlisted many a baby sitter at resorts previously, we were a little taken back to realize we had to pay our sitter cash directly. This was not advised upon booking nor was the hourly rate. Admittedly something we probably should have thought to ask. After a few drinks over dinner and limited English by our sitter this was an interesting if not embarrassing situation for all parties. My suggestion for you is to add this to staff wages and run the booking service centrally, or at the very least explain how the service works when it is booked!

And so it came time to leave (finally) except after paying the bill no one told us where to go or what to do to get the boat. There honestly could not have been less communication if we had been on a desert island by ourselves.

So in short this holiday has provided endless rounds of laughter amongst our friends and family. Sadly for the resort it means that many potential referrals have not resulted and in fact the brand itself has been damaged from an otherwise significant opportunity for referrals for future travelers to Krabi.

We will not be back and while writing this has been somewhat a cathartic experience, I sincerely hope that the details will be taken seriously and some attention paid to the paying customer in what has the potential to be an amazing resort. You just need to charge the golf carts, fix the doors, clean the pool, get some proper curtains, increase the English capability (noting we are in Thailand but the words ‘room service’ should be understood), clean up the in-room materials to look clean, be complete and professional and god forbid actually welcome your guests in person!

Good luck

P.S

As a last minute suggestion I would add that without significant cost there are so many small actions that can ultimately make a difference. A beach resort, having a small bucket and spade on arrival for the kids is a big thing. A carry bag is also a great addition to the cupboard. Especially given it is a walk for most guests to the pool and beach. Something small that suggests 5 star and some personal care and attention will go a very long way!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank MDT_Away
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Spent 2 nights at the Centara Grand Beach Resort, and it was fantastic. The check in process was fast and we even had drinks upon arrival. The employee took us to our room and explained everything to us from how to use the safe to closing our doors so that to prevent monkeys to come in the room.

We had dinner at the Thai restaurant there both nights. Food was good and price was average. The service was great, very friendly and fast. There was even a live band singing on the first night at that restaurant.

The room is big and there is also an outdoor area where you can just relax with a book and there are also blinds which can be opened or closed if you want more privacy. The room was clean and they change the bed sheets everyday.

They also provide a speed boat to go to the pier every 2 hours or so and they are also on time.

The only negative review would be that we had to call them twice to get a multi plug and call them 3 times to get an internet cable to our room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends