“What a shame”

Ranked #4 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“What a shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We had all the exciting expectations of the hotel and the location but it turned out to be a 5* location with 3* service- the location of the hotel was amazing and we pinched ourselves every day when we looked at the view from the balcony of our bedroom.
Cleanliness was an issue there was an inch of dust on the surround of the bath and sink area which was not touched the whole time we were there.
The accommodation was spacious but there was no dressing table and mirror to sit and dry my hair and had to resort to improvising and dragging a stool from bedroom area into bathroom and sitting on 2 of the bed cushions so I was able to see into the bathroom mirror.
Service at the hotel was very poor -complete lack of attention at the sunbed area close to the beach had to go to bar and order drinks ourselves and carry them back which I don't believe is what u should expect with a 5* rated hotel . The staff at the 'on the rocks' pool bar were surly and did seem happy to work there and had difficulty understanding basic English which made ordering difficult.
There was an extensive menu for lunch at this bar as well as a dish of the day but for evening time this was reduced to a minimal offering of a few dishes- the drinks were overpriced but the redeeming feature were the lychee and passion fruit mojitos but these were only available at the night club bar 'deep blu' in the evening. The monkey trail which is the only access to the town other than the speedboat (and for anyone with fear of height issues this was scary, rickety and ill made )and because of this I was unable to use it. The accommodation is built on different levels up the limestone crag and was a difficult climb due to the steep gradient, there were buggy drivers employed to convey guests to their rooms- these drivers were never available and the wait for them was so excruciatingly long that we just walked which wasn't enjoyable especially in the heat of the day
Breakfast was enjoyable with a good choice and the Asian cuisine was tasty.
I did complain at the time about the service to the manager Eric who wasn't happy to have to deal with a complaint and stated that "its the Thai way" which should definitely not the justification for his staffs lack of service -it is down to his lack of managerial skills and training of his staff.
Although this is an amazing place would not return to this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah b
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear sarahb

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read we did not completely meet your expectations. However I was pleased you enjoyed the great breakfast buffet and the lychee and passionfruit martinis.

I was surprised to read your comment about the “dressing table” as I have never received such a comment in the past.

In regards to the dinner menu at On the Rocks, the daytime menu features more snack style items such as sandwiches, burgers, pizzas and wraps. At dinner time we offer a selection of what we feel are more appropriate dinner items. When I reviewed the dinner menu following your comments I realized we only offered 9 entrees, 14 main courses, 6 different kinds of pizzas plus a dessert selection!

The buggy drivers you mentioned are the bell boys responsible for collecting and delivering luggage to and from the rooms to the boats. I am sorry if they were not always available to drive you to your room.

Please accept my apologies if Eric did not handle your feedback well, he is no longer employed by the resort.

Once again I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion however be assure that my team and I will continue to work hard to try and meet the legitimate expectations of all our guests.

Regards David Martens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lymington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Unique arrival by speed boat transfer. Only trouble they have to be driven flat out without regard to passengers comfort. Reception and check in ok. Room with balcony and Jacuzzi as described. Floors only swept and not washed for 10 days. Very comfortable and amazing views.
Power cable outage during our visit closed some restaurants. Three buffet evenings on the trot got boring and was expensive. Ao Nang better proposition.
Bar area should be improved to include casual seating not just for dining. Staff work hard but service could be slow.
Recommend the 'Club Lounge' (surcharge) for snacks and drinks in air conditioned comfort. Only privilege missing was no daily newspaper supposedly included in the deal.
Monkey trail not for the faint hearted or infirmed.
Service in the Lotus Restaurant has a lot to be desired. 40 minute wait for starter and over an hour for main course. Food quality mediocre and the OTT server not amusing.
Thai Restaurant much better and efficient.

Room Tip: Upper floors with balcony and Jacuzzi for the best ocean views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Derek B

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Unfortunately during your stay we did experience a major fault with our power supply and needed to close two of our four restaurants for 10 days. In an effort to continue to offer a variety of cuisine to our guests we offered a selection of our Japanese and Thai menu in our International restaurant as well as a different themed buffet each night by the pool, I am sorry if this did not meet with your expectation.

Please accept my apologies that the service in Lotus Court restaurant also did not meet your expectation.

I appreciate the feedback about the seating for the beach bar and we are currently waiting for new furniture that will allow us to offer a variety of seating arrangements.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured we will continue to work towards meeting the expectations of all our guests.

Ramat HaSharon, Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were a family of 6, staye in the villas up on the hills for 5 nights. The resort is isolated on the Kraby beach, with beatiful scenery, wild nature and the deep ocean right in front of us. Children enjyoyed the large pool and the excellent kid's club, and safari babies club. Cleanness is ok, not allowed to leave anything outside the room, as monkeys drop by to say hello.. Getting to the hotel from the airport is not that convenient. you have to order the hotel taxi while doing the reservation from home, so that land transprot will await you as you land at Kraby airport, and then continue your journey by those ridiculous long-tail boats, which, if you're lucky, get you to the isolated resort within 20 minutes, sea wild ride..Better be sure to pre-order the hotel boat in advance as well.

Room Tip: The resort is located on the hills and you have to climb a bit to get to the villas
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tami M

Thank you for sharing your comments following your families stay in December at our resort.

Yes our location is very special and there are many steps, so it is not ideal for any people that are not so mobile.

Depending on who you book with, and if you do book on line then you do need to check our website and let the resort know which shuttle boat you will arrive on so that we can reserve seats for you and know when to expect you.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Grand Centara near Ao Nang for our Honeymoon. This was Stop #2 of 3 in the South of Thailand (all beachfront properties).

Location: We loved the location at Centara Grand. Definitely the best, most private beach of all the properties where we stayed and in the surrounding area. The resort is surrounded by picturesque limestone cliffs, making it only accessible by boat (or small monkey trail). We loved this because it was so unique. The sun sets across the bay and makes picture-perfect vistas almost every night. The seclusion of rocks really helped this to be a more quiet, less busy beach which is what we were looking for. The beach was always clean and we were always able to get our preferred loungers on the beach side of the resort after breakfast.

We LOVED the monkey trail. We took into account other reviewers and were prepared. If we were going into Ao Nang to pick something up for example, we brought a locking backpack so the monkeys could not get inside. On the days where we went to the Monkey trail only to visit the monkeys we brought some bananas and the monkeys were very nice in accepting them without being overpowering. It's probably not advised to feed them, so do it at your own discretion.

Room: We stayed in a beachfront Villa which was more pool front as it was beach front, but still a beautiful room. We had our own living room and dining area as well as the bedroom and bathroom. It was nice to enjoy wine on the small private patio through sliding doors off the bedroom.

Activities: There are a lot of activities offered through the resort or partnering local tourist shops. We did two day trips by speed boat: Phi Phi Island, and Four Island. Four Island was the better of the two. And yet, the beach in front of Centara Grand is just as good as some of the ones we visited. Our recommendation - rent a kayak at the Centara (free for 1hr) and explore the coast around the resort. You can kayak to Railey Beach and back in about 2hrs and see lots of cool limestone rock formations along the way. Also to note, this is a family resort.

Service: The service here was excellent. Since we were staying in a Beach Villa we had a new service called a Villa Host to tend to our every request. Nong, Sun and Dang were all fantastic in fulfilling all of our requests. One thing that we did here a lot was order food from the Thai restaurant into our room since we had the dining area and had a private dinner for two! This was also helpful since the Japanese and Thai restaurants were both closed due to a power outage when we were there, but we still got to eat the food (we hear the restaurants are back up and running now).

Food: You have to try the Massaman if you go here...it was our favourite new Thai curry dish. and they prepare it at the resort. The food at the pool bar was also always good.

Thank you Mark and David, and the rest of the Centara staff for giving us such an amazing vacation while we visited your resort! We hope to return some day soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BirdieL2014
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear BirdieL2014

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent honeymoon at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for specifically mentioning your villa hosts Khun Nong, Dang and Sun. These comments have been passed to them and they are greatly appreciated.

I know what you mean about the massaman curry, our chefs do both a traditional version and also a tofu version for the vegetarians – both extremely delicious.

It was a pleasure to meet you both during your stay and I trust the rest of your honeymoon was equally enjoyable.

Once again thank you for your generous support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back if you ever get back to this side of the globe.

Best regards, David Martens
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Pros: room is nice, beach is nice, some water sports, modern, clean, good for families, good japanese restaurant
Cons: poor service, low drink quality, food is average, land locked to the hotel area,

Important to note that we overpaid as we were last minute. If I had paid 100-200/night I would say this was a good value hotel. That being said I still would not want to stay a whole week.

The rooms and amenities were nice and modern, the beach was pretty nice and the Japanese restaurant was quite nice. The regular restaurant took forever to get drinks or food, the quality was pretty average and some of the drinks less than.
Overall I felt a bit like cattle. A number on my head like any typical family mass marketed resort. if that's your thing then disregard. I personally don't like the feeling I got from All inclusive vacations to mexico where I felt like I was being stamped counted and then on to the next. It was fun when I was a teenager but not now.
I would never go back to this hotel or one of it's counterparts. They even messed up with my booking and it was booked one day before we got there. I paid the extra night and the woman at check in said they couldn't refund it. I was going to make a stink and ask for a credit to another one in their chain and then realized I would never actually stay there even with a credit so I didn't. bother.

if you get a deal at this place then give it a try, but if you like unique hotels and interesting experiences then try somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdamLVW
Dear AdamLVW

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I am sorry we did not meet you expectation and my apologies that you felt you were staying in an all inclusive hotel, even though we do not offer all inclusive. Sorry but I am not quite sure how to respond to the fact that you stayed during high season where were running close to full every day in a resort with 200 rooms in a private bay and expected it to be anything but busy.

Please accept my apologies if there was an error made with your booking, and without more details I cannot comment, but I would be extremely surprised if the hotel would have refused providing a refund if they were able too within the conditions of the booking.

Once again thank your for sharing your experiences.

Kind regards David Martens
Jakarta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Yes the natural features of the place is out of the ordinary and the resort is set in a postcard landscape. However the resort is large and always full; it’s a crowded place and the services are badly overstretched. You’ll have to use complex strategies to secure a beach chair for yourself and to scrabble for your food at breakfast time. Talking about food, I would rate it less than ordinary, fairly non-descript and not worth trying more than once, and the bills escalade pretty quick with the cheapest glass of wine being priced at 300 baht at their Thai restaurant. The bulk of customers are North European holidaymakers, the sweetest and most polite people in the world, granted, but who have decided that their kids have a divine right to ruin your holiday with their deafening screams and uncontrolled brashness. You may want to sit away from the main pool to avoid the inconvenience but then you'll have to walk half a mile to sign your towels in and out and order your drinks.

If your idea of a perfect holiday in Thailand is to spend it among the crowd of an international airport terminal in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Birmingham or Luton, and pay top money for it, go to this Centara Resort ! But singles be warned : as an American friend of mine put it, the place is like Noah’s Ark : everybody is paired -- a fairly depressing environment or at least extremely boring for the single vacationeer. Oh! and last but not least : if you decide to spend a few days there, do bring along a set of noise-cancelling earphones – which in my opinion should be provided in the holiday packages -- as the low-toned roar of motorized “long boats” is continual and drowns the entire landscape from 9 am to 9 pm. Apart from all this, as they say, “it’s paradise”.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Francis M
Dear KalimantanBerat

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read we did not meet your expectation on this occasion and sorry that you expected the hotel to be quiet. Unfortunately you stayed during our high season when many European families escape the cold winters of Europe and also a hotel that is very popular in particular with Europeans.

I was also surprised to read your comment about the food in particular the breakfast buffet as many other guests compliment us on the changing variety each day.

You will always find the wine prices high in Thailand as there are severe taxes imposed by the government on the sale of all wines.

Once again thank your for sharing your experiences and we will continue to work to meet the expectation of all our guests, even our solo travelers.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This resort is definitely a 5 Star experience! Rooms are big and spacious, and staff really will go above and beyond to help.
Breakfast buffet was unbelievable and the pool was superb to lye next to daily (order any drink or food to compliment and you really lose whole days there enjoying the sun)
Ahh there was a wedding booked at the same time as us so we had to dodge kids! This was the only downfall so we were overall happy with outstay.

Be mindful that you are a 10 minute walk from town so you will need to use the tut-tuts if your not up to the walk.

Krabi itself really isn't much to write home about. The beach is shocking and polluted to a state that you couldn't have paid me to swim there. The town is what you'd expect for Thailand, restaurants were everywhere on the strip so we were spoilt for choice. If you get a chance try the Cleopatra Bar that offers Shisha pipes, by far our best night at Krabi!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank AuzzieTravelBuddy
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear AussieTravelBuddy

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team. The chef was also pleased to read you enjoyed the extensive breakfast buffet.

Once again thank your for your generous support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ao Nang
Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach
Centara Anda Dhevi Resort and Spa
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!