“Stunning beach location, But Hotel needs to tighten up its look.”

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #4 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Peterborough
“Stunning beach location, But Hotel needs to tighten up its look.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My wife and I stayed for 10 nights. As previous correspondents have already discussed the floating pier being unsuitable for anyone with walking difficulties I will skip this. We were fine with it. The boat trip across from Ao Nang is great, but if you are fretful of water then this is not for you. I must mention early that the monkey trail has been closed down by the authorities, no one knows why... this meant that the speedboat or the longtail boat was the only way in or out. Book early for the speedboat!
For me the longtail boats are a pain, they are basically a noisy, unmuffled diesel engine powering a boat.... like a sick hornet...this made any relaxation on the beach impossible but it gives guests some more freedom of time to do things off site when it suits them.
Back to the first night, the mattresses are hard. If you have any issues with a hard bed bring some of your own bedding. The hotel has one type, hard. They did try and soften it with a second thinner one for my wife which just about did the trick but it was not ideal. The rooms are OK, but we have had a better standard elsewhere in Thailand. The breakfast buffet is good, and it's great having a proper cappucino or latte first thing in the morning. Food is expensive and you get a 17% surcharge on everything you buy on the resort. So go to Ao nang and sample the cuisine there.
I agree with comments about making use of the free 1 hour canoe, it is worth a paddle to the rock.
The weather was good, and a bonus were the fantastic electrical storms at night, although if you were on a boat in the bay then I imagine it would be a bit scary to some.
The staff were very helpful throughout our stay but annoyingly the beachside service was patchy, it depended on wether the remote call button was working properly. When it did staff rarely came with a menu so had a long trek back to fetch one.
We saw the monkeys down on the beach on our last day and what a treat they were. Snorkeling was average as the water was not too clear close to the shoreline, but further out was OK. We also found out that for an extra 900 Baht per person per night you could choose to be a club member and have some privacy at breakfast in you own club room and get free coffee and cocktails.
I think some attention to detail is needed on the hygiene front, a deep clean is required on some of the hotel furnishings. The sunbeds with thick mattresses don't look too good either.
All in all we both enjoyed this place but it is not in our top ten for some of the reasons above.
We would go back but not for as long. The staff are excellent and try to make your stay a pleasant one.
We changed our money at the currency exchanges in Ao Nang as the rate was far superior to any at home or the hotel, we were getting 53.6 Baht to the pound. Slightly more if you had travellers cheques.

Room Tip: first or second floor rooms are best.
4 Thank candymanPeterborough
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear candymanPeterbo…

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

As you have stated the monkey trail has been removed by the authorities and our company is currently in discussions with them for a replacement.

I appreciate your comments about the long tail boats, however these are synonymous and part of the character of Thailand and I doubt you or I will be able to change this.

We are currently in the process of changing the style of our mattresses and have already changed 1/3 of the rooms with more to be changed this coming month.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the large variety on the breakfast buffet and the use of the complimentary water sports equipment, which is very popular to explore the limestone formations around the oceans edge.

Please accept my apologies that the cleanliness of some areas of the resort were not to your expectation and for any inconvenience this caused, we will continue to try harder to improve both our service and product so that we can meet the expectations of all our guests.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 May 2014

There's no denying that this is the best beach in Ao Nang but I have mixed feelings about this place.

Positives
- Best beach in Ao Nang
- Free transport to Ao Nang centre (with conditions!)
- Lovely rooms
- Room very comfortable
- best night sleep I had in whole trip
- Gorgeous View
- Nice Bars
- Free activities (with conditions!)
- Amongst wildlife (I loved the monkeys!)
- just about walkable to Ao Nang (only for the physically able though!)

Negatives
- You are amoungst the masses
- Room in aircon didn't work at first, someone had to repair it
- Jacuzzi in room didn't work at first, someone had to repair it
- You can't just rock up in a long tail boat like everywhere else in thailand - you have to advance book and costs a fortune
- Free boat needs to be booked in advanced , subject to availability and at set times (I'm not keen on sticking to schedules on holiday)
- They charged us twice on arrival because they couldn't understand me when I said i'd booked in advance
- You feel like you are on a Package holiday! (although some people may like that)
- constantly getting asked for your room number in a slightly abrupt manner (when arriving on beach or hiring a towel) - I guess they are just trying to make sure stays don't wonder in and use facilities. But it made it feel a bit impersonal and like you didn't belong!
- too many rules. The rest of thailand is so laid back.. why not this place!

All in all it is a lovely place with great facilities. If they addressed the maintenance issues and made it feel a bit less package holiday it could be so much more!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scallyanna
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear scallyanna

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort and for pointing out the positive as well as the areas we could improve.

I was disappointed to read that got the impression that you were on a package holiday and I am not exactly sure what you mean by “package holiday” because in reality many guests would have booked a package with airfare, accommodation and transfers through a travel agent. However if you mean flying with a charter company with and “all inclusive” package, then we do not offer this.

I noticed you stayed in January which is peak season in Ao Nang and you would have noticed many outside resort guests using the beach and the only way to stop them using the resort facilities is to check their identification through their room number. However I have noted this and we will see if there is any other way we can do this to make our approach a little softer.

Once again thank you for your details feedback we will continue to work hard to make sure we can meet the expectation of all our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
Kwinana
Reviewed 1 May 2014

From the very first boat journey to the very last thank you and send off by staff our stay at Centara was certainly grand! The range of activities, restaurant options, cultural nights and frequent trips to Ao Nang and the main taxi hub meant you could stay in seclusion and luxury or explore the surrounds and villages in the region.

The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food and beverages are of top quality. Room facilities are very classy and surrounds near perfection. We did unfortunately fall ill and the medical centre and treatment and special considerations from staff were above and beyond.

Room Tip: Any room will be a treat, higher rooms offer better ocean views.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ryan W
Dear Ryan W

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

You are correct to say that people can choose to stay in the resort and enjoy the privacy, its complimentary water sports and activities as well as the variety of our 4 restaurants or to simply use it as a base to explore the surrounding area.

Once again we appreciate your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I know i said close to perfect and then only gave it 3 stars but its the basics they do poorly and thats ok after 2/3 days but after a week it gets really frustrating. Firstly the location is gorgeous.Utterly stunning.Steep clifs and foliage crashing down to a gorgeous secluded beach. The pools, rooms and restaurants are gorgeous.Really well designed and lighted beautifully at night.
Value for money? For the room perfect but food and drinks are more expensive than most in thailand. The food is gorgeous and of good quality but it should be for the price and there isnt really a cheaper alternative. Yes you can take the boat to Ao Nang but this requires getting said boat at around 5 or 6 o'clock so you've likely sweated through your clothes by the time you get to the restaurant. Then youve got the joy of the boat back in the evening when the waters choppy and your likely to be in the middle of a thunderstorm. And drinks!A can of beer is about £2.50 (80p in Ao Nang) so you expect it to be served in a nice glass with a slice of lime. Instead it comes in a grubby plastic cup. The cocktails are around £4 but arent very good.
The resort could be cleaner, particularly the rooms. I doubt our floor was cleaned once. Nor were our tea cups. Complementary water-well thank you!but twice we were only given two bottles between two of us. Its thirty degrees we should be drinking 3 litres each. The beach could be kept cleaner too. Also complementary soap and shower gel which I presumed was for hair and body because it was only on the last day I recieved a bottle of complementary shampoo.
All that said it really is stunningly beautiful but this just makes me more frustrated.With a few more staff and a cheapskate food and drink option this place could be paradise.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamesl1986
Dear Jamesl1986

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Yes our location, views and facilities are in a very unique and picturesque location.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in our service and that they have left such a lasting impression with you. If you are able to provide me with more details of your booking, I will follow up with housekeeping to make sure the room attendant is retrained to meet our standards. You can contact the hotel direct on ckbr@chr.co.th

In regards to the drinking water, yes our standard set up in the room is 2 bottles per day, however it is only a matter of asking the room attendant and they will provide more on request.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we will continue to work hard to improve our service and product so that we can meet the expectations of our guests.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

What a stunning place, we felt like we were in paradise as soon as we arrived at the Centara Grand. From the welcome off the boat to us leaving we were treated well, the staff were fantastic.

When I booked it a few months ago through a website, there was a place for notes, in a really small box in small writing. I just wrote "honeymoon" and forgot all about it... until we arrived. The hotel had picked up on this and we were upgraded, had petals on the bed and given cake and champagne - it was such a lovely surprise.

We were quite happy to find a sun lounger away from the busier main pool and never had a problem with this. We spent all our days by the quieter pool which was always empty and relaxing.

The monkey trail has now been removed. Which was a real shame as it meant we had to plan all our trips to Ao Nang rather than just do a spare of the moment walk into town. The hotel did put on extra boats immediately which we were grateful for - but we did miss it. However, although it was nice to visit Ao Nang we were always really happy to go back to our quiet retreat. We were so glad we booked the Centara as it felt like paradise rather than be near the busier town of Ao Nang. So towards the end of the week we stayed at the hotel more. The restaurants are all lovely. Yes, more pricey than Ao Nang but compared to what you pay for on England was very reasonable - plus the food and location were heaven - so you do get what you pay for.

The beach was lovely and quiet, the sea was warm and lovely to swim in - the setting is stunning and we felt sad when we had to leave. We spent the last two days of our honeymoon at Railiay Beach. The Centara arranged a boat for us, staff came to the jetty to make sure it had arrived and all our luggage was organised. We were really impressed that even at the end the service was still exceptional.

I would recommend this hotel 100% However you must do your research and see if its for you. The hotel is very honest about its location, which for us only added to the holiday.

3 Thank Littlelou2014
Dear Littlelou2014

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent honeymoon at our resort.

Yes unfortunately the monkey trial has been removed by the national park authorities without notice and reason. However as you mentioned we have commenced with hourly longtail boat service that takes guest directly to Ao Nang beach.

Once again thank you for your kind support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We went to this hotel a couple of weeks ago as my wife was going to be 50, my son 18 and my daughter 21.. so it was a big deal. we had a couple of issues on arrival but Zafar who was the F&B Director saved the day & the holiday. He sorted out food for our picnic. Got us a great table for 50th dinner & made sure our stay was fantastic.

Zafar had just arrived but spend time listening to us and then acting on our comments. He made sure everything went perfectly and really went out of his way to help..

We splashed out on the private dining on the beach for the wifes birthday and again he made sure it was all going to plan. It was perfect.. great food, great service and a view to remember forever.

So if you want a special holiday i can't hesitate to recommend this Hotel. Monkeys every where. Lizards by the Pool.. great piano player in the restaurant, and a jetty thats all over the place..

We loved it..

Once again Zafar, director of F&B was a top man.. thank you..

Room Tip: go for a sea view room.. its worth it.. the others are a way back and quite high..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fastred999
Dear fastred999

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you and your family enjoyed their stay and thank you for specifically mentioning Zafer our new food and beverage director who was able to make sure your wifes 50th birthday was a night to remember.

The private dinners on the beach are very special and I am pleased you enjoyed this and it added to your overall experience.

best regards, David Martens
Burnley
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We spent 14 nights here from the 6th to 20th April. We had been looking at the reviews for around 8 months so only fair we write one too.
From the minute you arrive you can't fail to love the place. The pontoon is the first experience you encounter. It is like walking on a bouncy castle. It does feel better the more times you do it. Check in was smooth and we had already had decided to upgrade to the club lounge/room. We stayed in 1123 which was a second floor room right at the back of the resort which was a trek but the view was worth it. The room was lovely and comfortable with a wrap around balcony.
The club lounge was busier than we expected and we didn't realise there would be children allowed and being Easter there were probably more children than normal- might be worth considering an adult only area? we had breakfast in the lounge to stay cool and then would return for a light snack at lunch again to cool down. At night you could have lovely canopies and alcoholic drinks between 5.30-7pm so we would go and get ready to go out and go for a drink before going out on the 7pm speed boat. We did vary the times we went out at night because some nights the boat was full. Maybe extra trips at night would help (especially as I hear the monkey trail has gone, as many people used this every night). We ate at the hotel on several occasions and had the Thai new year buffet all were good and value for money.
We ate in Ao Nang the other nights working our way down the trip advisor top ten!!!! never having a bad meal.
We met the managers of the hotel at the weekly cocktail party and throughout our stay the management team were always available to chat to or raise any concerns. The general manager David in particular always said hello and asked what we were doing that day, remembering the next time we met what we said we were doing. The staff were all lovely but in particular Dang, Sa and May the ladies in the club lounge.
We booked a trip to Phi phi which was good but very busy so we went into Ao Nang and booked a private long tail boat after this.It cost for 1700bt for the afternoon and we went to Chicken Island and did snorkelling, which was much better because we nearly had the beach to ourselves.We did this twice.
I also had 5 massages on the beach at beach hut number 1.They look after you with beach chairs, fruit and beer for my husband whilst he waited for me. It cost 300bt for an oil or aloe vera massage.
We met lots of lovely people and had a great time and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: 1123 had a great view although a walk up the hill.
2 Thank tiggerjed
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear tiggerjed

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of Khun Dang, Sa and May in the Cub Lounge.

I acknowledge your comment about the children in the Club Lounge as we have never experienced this before and does make us think about what we need to do for the next school holiday period.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ao Nang
Krabi Resort
#18 of 108 in Ao Nang
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!