“Great hotel and friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #4 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
Sydney
“Great hotel and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at hotel for 4 nights and had an awesome time. Rooms are clean. Unlike some of the reviews here. I strongly recommend the hotel. Did a cooking class and had a lovely chef, manager and assistant all teaching me the basics of Thai cooking. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Elderly. Ask for lower floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barrysassine
GeneralManagerCKBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Barrysassine,

Thank you for sharing your comments following your 4 nights stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

The cooking class is an interesting thing to join and we always get a positive feedback from our guests.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a lovely 2 weeks at the Centara and had a lovely time. We had a sea view room with a jacuzzi and were not disappointed with the room standard. The room was cleaned to a high standard every day, despite earlier reviews complaining that the rooms were not clean. The Thai restaurant on site was wonderful, as was the Japanese restaurant. Yes, higher prices than in town, but that's the price you pay for a secluded and quiet resort. The service was impeccable and we always received smiles and fast service. It's a real shame that the monkey trail closed before we arrived, but there's nothing the hotel can do about that. A lovely holiday and, should we ever return to Krabi, will definitely stay at the Centara again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrsDKing
Dear MrsDKing

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and appreciated services and friendliness of our staffs.

Agree that the monkey removed is a real shame and that why we have been provided more boats daily to ensure more flexibility on this.

Essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Centara Beach for 14 nights from 22 Feb to 10 Mar 2014 - so this review is slightly late. Lots been said by other reviewers so I hope my experience is helpful. We decided on this area as we had travelled for three weeks in Thailand 14 years ago and loved Krabi (Railay Beach) but were only able to stay for two nights and always said we'd come back.

The hotel: Our room was amazing! We had a spa deluxe on a high floor and the view was beautiful. The monkeys visited the balcony and we had lots of fun watching them. Don't leave anything outside and keep your doors secured - they will get in otherwise! It was very very hot when we were there and we got the sun on the terrace from around 11am. There were a few things that needed to be fixed in the room (leaky jacuzzi and a blocked water drain) but as soon as we raised with housekeeping they came to fix it. The daily ice delivery was also welcomed as we kept drinks in the fridge. We took DVDs to watch at night and slept very well. The people were all lovely and very helpful.
We visited the gym to stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day and it was good. It wasn't as good as some in five star hotels but then it definitely wasn't the worst we'd seen either.
Breakfast was good enough - lots of choice and they made me a good americano every morning. Btw, there is free wifi available in reception and the library - which is not widely publicised.

Doing stuff: Kayaking was fun, although the sea was a little bit brisk when we went out, we're glad we did. we also went on an elephant trek which was OK - a bit overpriced but if it goes to looking after these beautiful animals that was good enough reason to pay.
Massages in Ao Nang were excellent. We went to the ones along from the Last Fisherman as you go into town and at three quid (150 bhat) for a Thai massage we had one nearly every other day, followed by a refreshing drink from the juice stall next door.
We also visited the Blue Dragon for a cabaret show - had a really good time!

Food: We ate mainly in Ao Nang and used TripAdvisor reviews to guide us. There is so much choice and we had fantastic meals for a very good price. Most places have free wifi too. At the hotel we ate at On the Rocks twice I think, and at the Japanese twice as it was amazing (the sushi for around a tenner and ramen noodles were to die for)! Very good food at a very good price for a five star hotel. Didn't visit the other restaurants at the hotel as preferred the ambience in Ao Nang.

Getting around: We never got the shuttle, preferring instead the monkey trail day and night. The first couple of times we were a bit slow and wary but soon got used to it. Door to door we were in Ao Nang (to the Last Fisherman) in 25 mins. But it always took us longer during the day just watching the crab-eating macaques! They are amazing and it was such a privilege to have the close encounters we did.

Weather etc: It was very very hot - 35-35 degrees, dropping to 23-27 degrees at night! We spent some days on our balcony and some by the quieter pool and on the beach. It was hot though so I didn't both with make up and just pulled my hair back. There is a torch in the room, but it was a bit cumbersome so I used the torch on my phoneDidn't see a mosquito and didn't get bit by anything.

Overall, the hotel exceeded our expectations. We loved the resort, and while we knew that it was separated from Ao Nang (so can't mark it down for that) after a while it got a bit tiresome to have to go back and forth into town. We loved Thailand and have already booked our next holiday to visit somewhere we haven't been before.

Room Tip: Spa deluxe on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vijay R
Dear Stavrospqr

Thank you for sharing your comments following your 2 weeks stay back in late February at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay and it even more pleasure to see "Exceeded our expectations" as a headline!

Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here over Easter for 9 nights with my husband and children aged 13 and 9 years old. We were well aware of location, access of the hotel before we arrived. The pier was easy to walk on, I had to hold onto y husband due to a medial reason but it really was no issue. However if the sea was rough I think it would be another story! Booking the shuttle boat and using that service was no problem at all and we went into Ao Nang on several days.

The hotel certainly isn't 5 star, we stayed in a hotel called the Soneva Kir on Koh Kood last October on a family holiday and I will not compare the two too much as the Soneva was a lot more expensive but it was 5 star too.

The beach is beautiful to look at but the water isn't clear at all, we discovered why on a walk back from town at low tide, There is raw sewerage being pumped out into the sea just around the rocky outcrop. It smelt awful and you had to leap over it as it made a channel towards the sea. Needless to say we didn't venture into the sea.

Pools-Both dirty with unclear water, probably suntan lotion but not clear by any means. Also pool not temperature controlled so quite warm. Plenty of sun beds but a limited number of plastic ones directly around the pool area-all taken very early in the morning. Plenty of other beds, proper wooden one in the garden area and looking out towards the sea, in a long line though. No sun beds are allowed on the beach, it is a law of the Krabi Province for no hotels to have beds on the beach. This applies in Ao Nang to where people are lined up on white plastic chairs just where the beach starts.

The people using the Kayaks and paddle boards looked to be having great fun. So so far a beach that you can't lay on on a bed and a dirty pool. The tiles got red hot around the pool area so it was essential to were flip flops if walking around.

Accommodation-We had booked a spa room but swapped when we arrived to a deluxe sea view which is more spacious. I could think of nothing worse than sitting in a hot tub which has been at 30 degrees since it arrived. Its a cold bath you need! Our room was spacious with two large comfy beds for us with a nice view over the resort towards the sea. The cleaning standards left a lot to be desired and you could still see the suitcase wheel marks from when we arrived on the floor as we left.

Breakfast-Ok nothing special but more than adequate. I thought there would be a lot more fruit than there was. Husband had an omelette most days which looked great and he said tasted wonderful. I had eggs benedict one day off the specials and it was awful.

Lunch-If we where in resort we ate at on the rocks where they make a fantastic pizza in a wood fired oven-very tasty indeed. All the food and drinks from here where very good and the cocktails where very good indeed. I recall reading a review commenting on the lack of English understood by the staff and there was one time when one chap didn't understand what I meant so I asked another and then another tip somebody did-not a problem really. Another Krabi province law- to employ locals-i agreed entirely we are in Thailand!!

Dinner-we ate in the Lotus Court and the Thai restaurant. They were very nice restaurants with great staff-very smily girls-where the service and the food was very good indeed. Except the breakfasts we enjoyed all our food and drinks in the resort. Yes they do cost more than in Ao Nang but they are good value for money.

We used the baht top up scheme which make everything much cheaper, I would recommend you do this if you are going to drink or eat in the resort. In fact we only just managed to use all the room credit up before we left.

I also recall a reviewer commenting on the sound of the tail boats-please stay in your own living room next time to fancy travelling to Thailand, yes they do make a noise as all the boat trips from Ao Nang pass the hotel on there way for Island trips, yes there are a lot of them and i find it fascinating how some of them can sound so loud! Its a wonderful sight-I loved them.

We went on a long tail boat trip to several other islands which was great. We booked it in town as not only was it less than half the price there was just us, so we could leave the resort when we wanted to and stay on each island as long as we wanted too. Clear water so swimming and snorkelling for the first time.Yeh!

Getting around the resort was not a problem, even for me with my mobility issues. We used the steps to walk up and down for the first few days but realised its a lot more easy to walk around the wide paths/roads so did just that. We used the golf buggy a lot and always found it quick arriving after booking it. Husband walked the monkey trail once but its been removed now so its not an option and by all accounts you won't miss it!

Both food and beverage managers and restaurant staff do a splendid job and its a shame the rest of the resort doesn't match them. I would not come here again probably because i was expecting more of the resort than it gave. I still dream of the clear pool and sea and your OWN golf buggy to get around on our last Thai holiday.

Room Tip: We had a room high up so you get a great view but its wasted really unless you sit on your balcony a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lexion480
Dear Lexion480,

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to know that generally, you were enjoying your stay especially the room and food and beverage in restaurants.

I note your comment about the uncleared pools which we rectified both of them already. Unfortunately that the sewerage pumped over the cliff is out of our hand to rectify.

Coventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Myself, daughter, son in law and three year old grandson stayed at this resort in April. On seeing the hotel initially as we arrived by boat after staying at the Centura Grand Beach Phuket, we werent quite so impressed but as soon as we put foot on dry land, we realised we had found a beautiful tropical haven.
The surroundings are fantastic and you feel in you are somewhere special. The rooms are huge, the bath big, the jucuzzi with the spa room positioned on the balcony even bigger. The view from the balcony is stunning but this is mainly because the rooms are built on the side of a mountain and are quite high. There are no lifts and a fair amount of walking up hill and climbing steps is necessary although there are some rooms situated on a lower level. (I am in my sixties and found no problem with steps or hill, just a little tiring in the heat. The monkey trail at the end of the resort is quite different though, this is a feat not to be taken lightly, lots of narrow steps up and down hill with sometimes monkeys along the way. I recommend you do not show any fear to the monkeys just keep walking. I wasnt put off after my first trek along this trail and I think after making the journey five times, I came home fitter than when I went.) Take note there are lots of places in town to get messages and these are cheap and also very good.
The food and drink are expensive at the hotel but I have to say we had some of the best food I have ever eaten, at a special evening celebration at the outdoor restaurant. The entertainment this particular night was also excellent. Breakfast each morning was a joy, the surroundings and food were very good but I also loved the piano music played by a local man that took the experience to a difference level.
We all loved and enjoyed this resort, even my grandson who didnt want to leave. I think the sense of adventure (boat journeys, monkey trail, walking to town at low tide, the monkeys around the resort) added to the experience and we felt that we really were somewhere completely different to Europe, half way round the world.

Room Tip: The high rooms have stunning sea views but there no lifts so you have to walk up steps and hill.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank filly007
Dear filly007,

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Our Deluxe Spa Ocean Facing is one of the most famous category as of the jacuzzi on the balcony itself and the stunning view right on the balcony.

Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Recently stayed at this resort twice during our one week vacation in Thailand. I cannot express how amazing this resort and the staff were. To have a completely secluded and private beautiful beach was truly amazing. We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa which completely surpassed our expectations with breathtaking views of the sunsets and beach every day. I would highly recommend the upgrade to Club level if possible (the resorts offers complimentary breakfast, afternoon snacks, pre dinner drinks, and after dinner drinks with this upgrade). The staff here were amazing and so kind. Sonnie and Jack were so helpful during our stay and Sonnie booked us an amazing elephant trekking tour at a extremely short notice which was so kind of him!! I cannot understand why anyone would write a negative review of this resort because it was by far the most beautiful resort I have ever stayed in, especially at night when the limestone cliffs surrounding the resort are illuminated! Wonderful resort and if I ever get the chance to visit Thailand again this will be were I stay!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thailand24
GeneralManagerCKBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear thailand24,

Thank you for sharing your comments following your one week stay with us.

Yes, as our 2 Bedroom Beach Front Villa has located right next to the beach so the stunning sunset would be viewed from itself.

Sonnie and Jack were personally informed regarding your mentioned and both are them were so joyed to acknowledged your appreciation on them.

And of course, limestone cliffs surrounding us are one of the ideal sightseeing!

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Overall we had an AMAZING stay here.
We mainly knew about the accessibility issues with the hotel, hence we only stayed here for part of our Krabi stay (3nights) although I wish we’d stayed a little longer (maybe 5 nights), but we were disappointed that the monkey trail was now shut and felt we should have been contacted about this, we were looking forward to a little bit of exercise/adventure this would have provided.
From the minute we met the speedboat at the pier everything was well organised. We LOVED our room (seaview spa deluxe room) ideally we’d have liked more of a seaview (was hard to see any sea due to vegetation) but loved the room itself – far exceeded expectations.
We also had club room access which I’d highly recommend.
Our check in was great – JAMES is an asset to the property. Our visits to the club room were also great – CHA again is an asset to the resort.
The hotel is not at all traditional/local Thai culture – but we did not expect it to be. If that is what you want do not stay here – we knew we would not get that here and hoped to get something more luxurious – we were not disappointed!!
We had dinner on the beach one evening that JESSE organised with DUL serving us – all great staff.
Food and drink is more expensive that Thailand in general – but we expected this. We did not find it overly more expensive and as such cancelled our plans for transport out and ate in the resort each evening. We were glad to have brought some extra water/soft drinks for the room with us though.
Overall we loved out stay and can’t wait to return.
Only complaints would be – no printer in club lounge and our check out where there was a big issue with the bill which tainted the stay.
Overall can't wait to return-for longer next time :)

Room Tip: spa deluxe rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah6969pink
Dear Sarah6969pink,

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Your complements on James, Cha and Jesse has been personally shared to all of them and of course, all of them were so appreciated with this.

I do apologize for an issue upon your check out and already talk to front desk about this to ensure our improvement.

I also noted of missing printer in the Club Lounge, such a shame that our staff were not informed as your document can be printed via other devices easily.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ao Nang
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,685 reviews

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!