“Honeymoon”

Ranked #4 of 107 Hotels in Ao Nang
Essex
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Grand Centara in Krabi as part of our Honeymoon tour of Asia.

I am SO glad we chose to stay here. As we approached the hotel on the speed boat our jaws just dropped. I had seen many pictures but I literally have never stayed anywhere that I have felt so excited about arriving at. We were absolutely buzzing when we arrived and straight away said we didn't want to leave!

We had booked into a sea facing spa room with a hot tub on the balcony and this was worth paying for. It was simply amazing. I cannot even explain the view from our room, so stunning and blissful laying in the hot tub around sunset time!

Our favourite part of staying here were the monkeys! It really did make our holiday. We were lucky enough to walk down the beach and catch them all in the morning a couple of times and it was just joyful to watch them all run free and play on the sand. As we approached they started to interact with us and play with us and it made us so happy! So much fun, you could watch them for hours.

The beach is amazing and so cool for it to be so secluded in your own little cove.

We tried the monkey trail once and took a walk into Ao Nang. It was quite steep and I had to cling on but worth trying! It was a good experience but not something i'd do more than once!

Well worth wondering intro Ao Nang. There are some great cheap spa places, awesome massages and cheap nails! Personally we preferred our own beach as this one was far more busy but its nice to know there are amenities close by.

I can't even believe there are people that give this place a bad review. Ok the service may not be the best in the world, but everything else makes up for that. We're not really the complaining types. We didn't mind that the occasional monkey would show up on our balcony but we saw some people absolutely going mad - I have no idea why - surely its part of the experience!?

This hotel was a real treat and I 100% recommend you stay there!

Room Tip: A sea view spa room is the best! We loved it!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank MissloveIbiza
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Misslovelbiza

Thank you for sharing your comments following your honeymoon at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay including our spa rooms, which are our most popular room types for honeymooners.

The wildlife around and within the resort is truly unique and I am pleased your interaction with the monkeys added to your overall experience.

Once again thank your for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel on agoda for two nights we have a 5 month baby and what it doesn't tell u when you book !!!
Be warned you arrive on a speedboat where u are nt offered a life jacket the boat drivers drive like maniacs knowing we had a young baby we was terrified you then arrive on a FLOATING WATER PIER yes floating you have to walk off boat and jump onto a pier where it moves with the waves I was so terrified for my life and baby's ! We had no jacket it totally ruined our holiday don't stay If u have young children ! There are LOTS OF STAIRS to walk up to get to rooms and the buggy service is appalling we waited for room service for over an hour each time ... Now on phi phi island and startig to relax as our resort is amazing !

Hotel rooms are clean and it's a lovely hotel just not for family's or old people
If you are not confident with water do not stay or if u are not stable on feet

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank 186338Mimi_11
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear 186338Mimi_11

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

Please accept my apologies that you were not offered life vests and for the way the captain behaved on this day. I was at the jetty on your arrival and witnessed this myself . I have taken the appropriate disciplinary with the captain and will ensure there is no repeat of this behaviour.

In regards to your comment about being unaware of the boat access, I checked the website you booked with and this information is listed under “important information about this resort”

Yes you are right and we do not promote the hotel to people that have any mobility issues due to the number of stairs and the boat access.

Once again please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectation and I trust you will enjoy the remainder of your travels in Thailand.

Yours sincerely, David Martens
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Room spacious, comfortable and modern with 2 x double beds. Large balcony area on 3rd floor which offered lovely views. Monkeys appeared on our balcony when we checked in but we didn't see them again for the rest of our stay!
Bathroom very large, a couple of maintenance problems with the shower.
Location was awkward for us as it involved a boat transfer, then taxi/tuk tuk to the main shopping/restaurant area. We had a 9.30pm transfer by boat one evening back to the resort, very high winds after a storm, in total blackness, no life-jackets offered which made a very bumpy and terrifying experience!
We dined at 'On the Rocks' one evening, very enjoyable and price what you would expect at a such a property.
Breakfast was busy but the service acceptable, there was a great selection of food and drinks.
All in all, a lovely property in a beautiful position but I would recommend that it is most suitable for couples who are happy to remain at the resort rather than travel into Ao Nang.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traceytravelagent
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear TBT4128

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was pleased to read you we met most of your expectations during your stay and yes our location and access is unique. For the benefit of the other readers of this forum, people should make themselves aware of our location and access before they decide to stay with us.

Please accept my apologies that life jackets were not offered to you by the staff, however all our boats are equipped with life vests and life rings.

Once again thank you for your support and recognition.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as a couple. The overall experience was amazing. If one is looking for a secluded holiday in Ao Nang , there cant be a better place - This hotel is located on a secluded island which has nothing but the hotel. So one can have all the privacy one wants. We had taken the Ocean facing spa deluxe room- the view from the balcony was really nice. The room quality was excellent as well. The food was good, wont say excellent. And ofcourse little expensive- which isnt surprising given the location of the property. The ambience at 'On the rocks' bar on a nice breezy evening is unmatched !

The not so good things-
1) One needs a longtail boat to reach the hotel- This should have been mentioned at the time of the reservation and the fact that boats run only once in 1.5 hours. Once we reached the pier from where the boat needs to be taken, one boat had just left- and hence we had to wait for almost 1.5 hours. If this was communicated at the time of the reservation, along with boat timings, we would have planned accordingly.

2) The experience regarding reservation was not so good- Had to write several mails to explain the same point over & over again. Given the premium nature of the property, would really help the resort if people at the reservation desk have better english communication skills- The mails were honestly very difficult to understand, was not prompt and overall quite disappointing. Infact I was about to go for a different hotel looking at the response time for emails ! This really needs to be improved given the number of foreign tourists the property attracts

3) On the last day at the resort, with the help of the information desk at the hotel, we got a taxi booked which was to pick us up from the pier and take us to Phuket airport. The cab was not a hotel cab, but the lady at the info desk booked it- We had clearly mentioned we needed the cab for the whole day and had fixed the rate. However on reaching Phuket the driver claimed he wasnt aware of the full day booking and had to leave by 6 PM , while our flight was at 1 in the night ! When we called Centara info desk, the experience was terrible- The lady who had booked was on leave, and the guy who was at the desk said he has no clue about the booking, has no records, cant do anything about it. Repeated calls- and somehow noone took responsibility about it. Finally spoke to the lady but nothing could be done- since the driver had to leave. We had to thus let that cab go at 6 PM and book another cab for Phuket airport. While this experience has nothing to do with the hotel given that this wasnt a hotel cab, however when the travel desk booked it, i feel its their responsibility to ensure it goes smoothly- and even if it doesnt, take responsibility for it and help us out given the amount of business we had given the hotel the last 3 days.

Overall, this is definitely an amazing property to spend a nice and relaxed holiday- But service needs to be improved.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amrita_Talukdar
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Amrita_Talukdar

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and yes our location is truly spectacular and very unique.

I have taken note of your suggestions where we can improve and I will discuss these further with the departments concerned to ensure we continue to work hard to meet the expectation of all our guests.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Mixed bag over here, both good and bad; let's do the good part first as I'm hoping you'll read through before you get to the bad part so that I ensure you get a balanced viewpoint.
Isolated beautiful resort with a private beach and a sunset you will enjoy(ask for deet oil spray to ensure the mozzies don't spoil the romance)

Rooms: we had a nice twin bed, spacious well appointed rooms, huge bath with shower area and big bath tub. We had our room on level 3 which had a big balcony overlooking the sea with a nice view. Thank you to the hotel for providing the room, I know not all get that lucky. Nice comfortable beds, ask for soft/firm pillows based on your preference.
Pool/Kayaking: used the pool and the kayaking (1 hr free) facilities! Was good fun and fairly nice infrastructure, the kids loved the whole experience too!
Breakfast: pretty decent spread, but I feel it could have a better consistent across different days especially my morning coffee (need my early morning coffee fix)!!!
Thai restaurant: ate several times at this restaurant: rate it as reasonably good!
Now for the not so good/disappointing!
Access/frequency of shuttle boat: for an isolated hotel with boat as the only more of access, this supposedly 5 star hotel has its shuttle boat service running at intervals of 1-2 hrs with no flexibility to cater to high traffic (max 22 pax), if I wasn't on a holiday and if this was not an isolated hotel I'm happy to adhere to the schedule with due diligence, however I'm on vacation with my family and I don't think I want to be held at ransom (because that's exactly what it felt like at times). I think the holt can easily increase the frequency to 30 mins and run it as a continues shuttle even if no passengers turn up ( I'd like some peace of mind on my vacation and I believe so would you!)
Beach bar; struggled to get my cocktails and the kids margarita pizza right (basic for a beach bar I felt!).... thought the mocktails were fabulously good! (Couldn't figure this inconsistency)
Internet access: practically every hotel (small or big) in thailand offers free internet both in the lobby and rooms, However the centara grand decided to make it complicated by charging you for the rooms unless you sign up for the centara miles card, and so I did, but further complication; I now have two different sign up login/passwords. One for the free lobby/library and the other for the room, and the room one kept throwing me out every few hours making me log in with the special login/password every time I stepped out of the room. Again I'm on a holiday and it's not really that difficult to offer free internet in thailand (practically every restaurant/spa/etc on the street offer free internet once you step in so I find this attempt to make your stay inconvenient very unacceptable)
So unless you don't plan to step out of the hotel except at check in and check out, don't like internet and will only use the faculties that the hotel provides, you will love this place; for the rest think again as I was not the only guest who complained about these things.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Farawayjfk
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Farawayjfk

Thank you for sharing your detailed comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was disappointed to read that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet with your expectations but I was pleased to read there were equally many positive aspects of your stay.

I have noted your comments about our access, the internet service and the inconsistent service at On the Rocks and we will continue to work on these so that we can meet the expectation of all our guests.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

The resort is secluded and though some may see this as a negative this was why we loved it so much. For a few tranquil days of relaxation it is perfect and we will definitely be back. Though we didn't find the location to be a negative our room was quite a walk uphill which wasn't great. It's worth requesting a room that isn't up the hill (the view is beautiful regardless).
The buffet breakfast was especially good and the food in the other dining areas was fantastic too. The Thai food was exceptional though it comes at a steep price.

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't up the hill as it's quite a walk!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J0ey3
Dear J0ey3

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay and yes the secluded location is ideal for those that just want to get away from it all!

The chef was also pleased you enjoyed the food we offered especially the wide and the daily changing selection of the breakfast buffet.

Yes our rooms are mostly built on the side of a steep hill so you will experience many steps. You can request a room lower down, however we cannot guarantee this as it depends on the room type you book and availability on check-in.

Once again thank your for your kind support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here with a friend for 4 nights and had a great time. The hotel itself is located in a beautiful, secluded area that seemed to only be accessible by boat. I would certainly stay here again simply for the location. The staff were also very friendly and the hotel provided prompt, friendly service when we had questions. We were surprised however to learn that we had to take a boat to visit the main beach area of Ao Nang--but overall, that wasn't really an issue. The rooms were also spacious and clean.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank stephanieandc
Dear Stephanieandc

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your 4 night stay and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

Yes our location is very unique and spectacular and I am pleased this added to your overall experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ao Nang
Holiday Inn Resort Krabi Ao Nang Beach
Centara Anda Dhevi Resort and Spa
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!