“Not what we expected”

Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ranked #4 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I don’t know where to start really. The positives were that the room and the balcony area were lovely & always cleaned to high standards. The monkeys were a bonus & we felt very comfortable around them, you can tell they are used to people very entertaining! The beach is poor it isn’t what it looks like in the photos so don’t expect it!
When we arrived here unfortunately we had very bad weather it rained constant for 4 days. This meant that the location of this hotel & how you access it was not as enjoyable as if the sun was shining! The water was very choppy and we did not feel safe on the floating pier at all. May I add that be prepared to see your luggage thrown around!
This brings me to my next point- The mini bar in the room & the in room service is majorly overpriced! One of us become ill while in Thailand and for a bottle of water it was around £2.75, seeing as we had very poor weather conditions and were bed bound ill for a few days we had no choice but to pay the price. As well as didn’t feel like going to eat so ordered room service same again so expensive! The staff give you 2 small bottles of complimentary water but that’s it. I have stayed in better hotels in Thailand where staff continue to offer water throughout the day.
Also for the price you pay to stay in this hotel I personally feel it’s very bad that they then continue to charge you for WIFI access in rooms. Everything in this hotel is overpriced.
We checked out a day early, we went down to book the boat back across to Ao Nang and explained that we were leaving. The lady booked us on the 12.00 boat back across & informed us that somebody would be up to collect our luggage around 11.30. We were waiting and nobody turned up to collect our luggage, we called down and explained & were put on hold to be cut off. Nobody called back to let us know what was going on so called yet again! They said somebody would be up in 5 minutes, it was 11.55 at this time we panicked as we had a flight and the next ferry at 1.00 means we would not make it to the airport in time. Me and my partner decided to struggle down the rookery wooden steps with our luggage when a golf cart pulled up and helped us the rest of the way- no apologies or anything! 5*?? No. We continued to check out & luckily the boat was running late so we just made it on. Safe to say apart from the stunning animals and clean room I wouldn’t advise this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jade F
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Jade F

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectation on this occasion. I can appreciate arriving to four days of continuous rain would not be a great start to your hotel, but unfortunately this is a risk when you travel during the monsoon season.

If I can clarify your point about the mini bar prices, we do have water in the mini bar priced at 60 baht which is about 1 GBP, if you wish to drink the imported Evian or Perrier than yes you will pay more than double that. The standard set up of drinking water in the room is 2 bottles, however housekeeping are more happy to supply on request, I am sorry you did not ask or enquire.

Please accept my apologies that the bellman did not arrive as planned to pick up your luggage and for the inconvenience and stress this caused.

Once again thank you for your feedback to highlight where we still need to improve to meet your expectations.

Yours sincerely, David Martens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
Reviewed 7 August 2014

First off all, I must say that we had two good days at the resort with sunshine both days! However, I believe that this hotel has seen better days. It opened in 2006 and must have been one of the most beautiful resorts in the world at that time. 8 years later this is not longer the case.
It is no longer a 5* resort, due to the lack of maintenance and poor English spoken language at the resort. I see from other reviews that the resort has hired a English teacher, and I hope this will help.

As I said, the hotel need a lot of maintenance. Painting, gardening, ropes at the wooden ladders that fall off while using the (almost causing my partner to fall back if I was'nt behind him to catch him in the fall). Further on there are loose tiles and broken tiles around the pool. It may be that my trained eye, as a professional Hotel Manager, se more that other guests do.

THE GOOD / GREAT PARTS:
- Pick up at the pier in Ao Nang was professional and efficient, and the meeting with Front Office Manager Mark at the jetty when we arrived the hotel resort.
- Service is great in my opinion. English is not so good, but everyone can smile
- Some managers, like front Office Manager and Restaurant Manager at On The Rocks are Australian/European and speak well English
- High food quality
- pool service throughout the day
- large and tasty selection at the breakfast buffet (it's sad the outside deck used at breakfast is closed for the rest of the day -why not use it for dinner service?)
- Amazing views!!!
- We were able to change rooms after check-in as we were a little disappointed about the view from our room. Front Office Manager Mark called us and informed us that we could keep the old room until the new room was ready for us in the afternoon. From 1091 -> 1055 This is good service!

NOT SO GOOD / BAD PARTS:
- the hut tub on the balcony had mould and dirt around the edges, and was not clean inside. This made us not wanting to use it, witch is a shame when you pay good money for a upgraded room.
- lack of maintenance, painting, gardening, and remember that guest see right on the roof at the main building, and it is not a pleasant sight!
- wood stairs is not maintained, making some of them not safe, like the rope falling of when using the stairs.
- we had to call and ask for cleaning the 2nd day and there was no turndown service that day
- the internet in the rooms are chargeable, something I can not understand in 2014. It is free in the library, but come on!! 2014. (by becoming a member in their club, you get internet free).
- Free water bottles in the room was not refilled the 2nd day
- Towels in the rooms are changed daily, even if you hang them up for re-use like they kindly ask you to do as part of their environment programme.
The bed was large, but a bit to hard to my liking
- Be aware that there are a lot of children in the resort. With no activities for them, the pool is the only entertainment they get-> a lot of noise.
- checkout time took for "ever" as the receptionist spoke very poorly English. We hade several issues about the bill and she had to make four different calls to someone to get it right.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, but make sure it is not blocked by buildings in front.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lars S

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I can see from your comments that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of some of the team such as Mark at the front desk, Leroy and Zafer in our food and beverage department.

I appreciate your comments about maintenance and I can assure you we are spending a great deal of money and effort to try and maintain this property, however it is disappointing to read that our efforts have not been recognized.

As a fellow colleague I am surprised of your comment about the wifi as there are still many international hotels around the world that still charge for wifi in their rooms. We hope to see this change in the near future, but at the moment we need to follow a corporate directive.

You mentioned there no activities for the children, which is incorrect; we have a Camp Safari for children aged 4-9 years (located next to the Club Lounge) with organized and supervised activities for the children. For the teenagers there is Ezone (opposite the shop) that provides a games room with computer games, fuse ball, air hockey, wifi and many others.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we will continue to work on both our service and product to meet the expectations of all our guests.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Centara Grand was the 3rd stop on our recent trip to Thailand. We initially planned on staying for 6 nights but checked out early after 4 nights.

The most impressive thing for us with this resort was the location which is absolutely stunning. The hotel grounds/ pool area are also very nice albeit the furniture a bit tired. They have 4 restaurants all of which are well designed and offer a good variety of food. (try the 4 minute ice cream lots of fun).

We booked a deluxe ocean facing room and it was furnished to a high standard, very comfortable and no complaints here we also upgraded to the club lounge based on reviews we read on tripadvisor that it was worth the extra, We would disagree (comparing this to the club facilities we had at the Banyan Tree in Bangkok, same trip).

Due to the location of this resort the only access to and from it to get to Ao Nang was via their shuttle boat service as the monkey trail was closed whilst we were there (to be honest I am not sure if I would have used anyway as we walked to the trail and it was littered with rubbish so didn't look to appealing).

We actually really enjoyed the shuttle boat, quite an experience and we found the floating pontoon great fun even in the rain and for those who were less confident the staff did escort guests on and off so no real danger for anyone in our opinion. The only negative to the boat was it had to be pre-booked so everything had to be planned ahead which was a bit of a drag for us as the whole point of being on holiday is to do what you want when you want.

As for the monkeys well I have to say reading many a review prior to us going I was a little concerned of being attacked! We experienced the monkeys on our balcony only once and for a few minutes only, They tended to come down in the mornings and remained very much out of the way in the surrounding tree's rooftops etc. So much so that we didn't manage to get a picture of any!

Service at this resort unfortunately was the worse we had experienced (excluding the staff in the club lounge who were all wonderful). It was often chaos in the restaurants and we often saw guest get up and leave. Whilst staff were always polite it all felt rather strained and not as we had experienced elsewhere throughout our time in Thailand.

Final point for us on this resort is that we left feeling frustrated as we believe this resort could be absolutely amazing with a few simple changes i.e. training for the staff, entertainment (when the weather is bad and you cannot leave the resort), upgrade the pool area furniture etc and this would soon be worthy of it's 5* grading.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are a little difficult to access with rope steps and bridges etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen H

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

I was pleasure to read you enjoyed your overall stay even though there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I was surprised to read your comment about the Club because as you know from other review we receive numerous positive comments about our Club offerings.

Please accept my apologies that the level of service in the restaurants left you with this impression of the hotel as the food and beverage department receives considerable service training.

I do not understand what you mean by the pool furniture upgrade as the sun lounge furniture around the main pool only arrived in December last year. If you are referring to the furniture along the beach front, this is also being replaced later this year.

Once again thank you for your support and recognition and we sincerely appreciate the comments on where we still need to improve.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just spent 10 nights at this amazing resort we had a great time we had spa room for 7 nights best bed I've ever slept on then for the next 3 nights we had the pool villa the staff were amazing it felt like home 2 staff I would like to thank and made every effort to make us comfortable christina what a amazing young lady centara should do all it can to keep this girl within the organisation and also Leroy another great young man that made us feel just that bit special thank you both and also mark the manager it was nice to have a drink with you all that left to say is se ya soon thanks again john and deb

Room Tip: Pool villa expensive but well worth it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank T4575VRJohnw
Dear T4575VRJohnw

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed the pool villa and the bed as well as other aspects of you stay. It is always a pleasure to receive comments on our staff so thank you for specifically mentioning Christine by the pool, Leroy at On the Rocks, as well as Mark our front office manager. These comments have been shared with them and are greatly appreciated.

Once again thank you for your kind support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

best regards, David Martens
United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights. The pools are lovely and the views are great. What was even better was having the beach so near by! The staff were really warm and friendly, and they welcomed us as we arrived. We were given a room key for our rooms. A lady came up with us and showed us how to use it and was very helpful!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Polly P

Thank you for sharing your comments following your family’s recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read all the family enjoyed their stay, including the beach and the views and thank you for acknowledging the friendliness of the staff.

Once again thank you for your support and recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Krabi.

Kind regards, David Martens
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

After reading a lot of reviews about this hotel, my partner and I braced ourselves for the scary boat journey into the resort, the aggressive monkeys, the run-down rooms and the overpriced food, but both of us have been pleasantly surprised.

Starting with the negatives (which are the only reasons we have not given the resort 5 stars):
1. The boat in and out of the resort doesn't always run on time, which wasn't really a problem unless we needed to be somewhere.
2. The resort does need some maintenance in places. Little things, like a wobbly step near the restaurants and a small rip in the mosquito net in our room, stop it from being a perfect 5 stars.
3. We were asked for a 12,000 THB safety deposit when we arrived, which was a bit of a surprise. However, we spoke to a member of staff about this, were dealt with very quickly and didn't have to pay it.

Those really were the worst things about our stay. Everything else was perfect - in particular:
1. The stunning location - we liked the fact that you can only reach the resort by boat as it's so private and tucked away in a natural cove. The floating jetty was not a problem for us. In fact, the staff automatically help you and take your bags for you (we didn't have to carry our luggage around the resort or on/off the boat once). Anyone who has complained about this should have probably read up on it before going - we did and knew what to expect.
2. The outstanding food - our half-board vouchers allowed us to eat at any restaurant in the resort. We had breakfast buffet every day (very good range), and we ate in the international, Thai, Japanese and beach restaurants in the evenings, all of which were fantastic. We'd recommend the Teppanyaki in the Japanese restaurant - it costs a bit of extra money but is delicious! We also paid for lunch and drinks at the beach restaurant. We cannot believe people think it's expensive! Maybe compared to cheap noodles from a market stall, but it cost us the equivalent of about £10 for a cocktail and freshly cooked pizza each. Very reasonable for a resort like this.
3. Our room - we had an ocean facing spa room: good views, massive bed, nice shower, very friendly cleaner, good air conditioning, and we used our jacuzzi every day. It was perfect for a cool chill-out in the sun or a warmer dip in the evening. We can't believe we didn't see more people using them.
4. The beach and pools - we also went for a swim in one of the pools every day. It was never too busy (there is an adult 'relaxing pool' if there are too many children elsewhere), we were always given clean towels, fresh fruit was often brought around by a member of staff, the beach restaurant will bring food and drink to your sun bed. Being right on the beach, it's so easy to spend some time on the sand or paddling in the sea, before heading back over to the pool again. It's everything you expect (and more) from a beach resort.
5. The lovely staff - there wasn't anything that the staff couldn't do for us. They helped us sort our wifi when we couldn't get it to work (which cost us 500 THB - about £10 - for our 6 night stay - again, we can't believe people think this is expensive), gave excellent advice on food and excursions, were always very friendly and happy to help. We really loved Gift who was our waiter a few times- he would even come over and say hi if he saw us around the resort.

Additionally, we didn't see a single monkey during our 6 night stay (although the staff did say that this was odd because they're usually everywhere), but felt that we were given more than enough advice about how to deal with them anyway, like locking our doors etc. It's very easy and common sense to keep your belongings away from the monkeys, and, again, we read up on this issue before coming and knew what to expect.

Overall, we would definitely stay at the hotel again. We had a truly fantastic time and genuinely feel that some of the negative aspects of the resort have been very exaggerated. We agree that with some care and maintenance, it could be a perfect 5 star resort, but anyone who has complained about the boat, the cost, the staff and the monkeys should have known what to expect when booking to stay in a cove in nature reserve!

Stayed August 2014
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stavanger
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Arrived the 2. August 2014 and stayed for two nights. Great location, but only reached by scheduled boat or longtail from the pier, but the hotel managed that quite well. The hotel is built in 2006, but really need a lot of improvement of the common areas such as the pool where the tiles are starting to fall off. In general you can see that the whole property is in servere need for maintanence, such as painting, gardening etc. There are a lot of stairs in the whole hotel, and the first night when heading back to the room, one of the ropes surrounding the stairs fell off. We booked a room with a outdoor tub, but we did not use it since it has a lot of mould around the edges (quite disgusting if I may say). The room it self is great, but also feels vorn. The pool is quite small and there are a lot of families in this hotel, that means that the children are taking over the pool totally. The service of the staff is great, the food is great and it is a really nice place to be. Upon arrival we reicieved room right away, but we wanted a little more view, and they where kind enough to let us keep our first room until the next was ready. One thing I always complain about is when the hotel charges for internet in the hotel. Internet is free of charge in the library, but chargable everywhere else, and it is expencive. 99TB pr hour!!! Don`t expect this hotel to be a five star hotel by todays standard. It would be more close to a tree star hotel the way it looks after only eight years in operation. So, that's a really dissapointment. But please go there, if you want spectacular views great food and serviceminded and friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerCKBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear ArnfinnHeller

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed the food and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of all the team.

Please accept our apologies that you feel the hotel is not being maintained as I can assure you we are spending a lot of money and effort to maintain the property. Also please note that the rooms were only refurbished last year.

Once again thank you for your feedback where we still need to improve to you’re your expextations.

Kind regards, David Martens
Krabi Resort
#18 of 108 in Ao Nang
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi? Share your experiences!