“comfortable, quiet, beautiful surroundings...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peace Laguna Resort

Peace Laguna Resort
Ranked #21 of 106 Hotels in Ao Nang
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
“comfortable, quiet, beautiful surroundings...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked a superior room for 3 nights at Peace Laguna Resort in Ao Nang, Krabi. On the plus side: it has a nice, quiet location about 100 meters off the main road in Ao Nang. The view of the limestone cliff and vegetation is wonderful, and the complimentary breakfast buffet is outstanding. A nice pool looks up at the mountainside. The girl (Anne) at the sightseeing desk was wonderful, and very helpful in arranging for us to rent a longboat for a day of island and beach sightseeing. I highly recommend renting a private longboat over selecting a tour with a dozen other tourists who you don't know, because the longboat driver waits for you as long as you like at each island destination. The cost was about 90 USD per day for about 6 to 8 hours of island hopping. Well worth it! Again, thanks to Anne!

On the minus side: The rooms were ok and very clean, but paint was peeling from some spots in our room and there were cracks in the walls. Not a huge deal. My biggest complaint with Peace Laguna Resort was that there was no free wifi in the room (hence, the "average" rating). You could pay to have wifi in your room, but a resort at this level should, at a minimum, provide free wifi in the rooms. Granted, you could take your computer to the lobby area and get access to free wifi (but only sometimes...connectivity was sketchy at best, pretty unreliable). There was a hard-wired computer available for guests, but only one, and it was usually occupied for long periods. The other problem with wifi access in the lobby is that the lobby doubles as a bar, and you have to be able to put up with people blowing cigarette smoke in your direction. Nearly all the guests at this hotel are northern Europeans, who can't seem to relax without a cigarette in their mouths. There seems to be no designated smoking areas, therefore no smoke-free areas. This hotel seems to be a little behind the times with regard to providing a smoke-free atmosphere.

So, if you are not a person who needs internet connection everyday, this hotel is entirely satisfactory.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We have just spent 11 nights at the Peace Laguna Resort in Krabi. The first 2 nights made us want to pack our bags and come home! We must have been given the worst room in the resort, backing onto an open sewer. The smell was horrific! There was also work going on outside our room making us feel as though we were in the middle of a builders yard. This was certainly not the holiday we were expecting.
The management said there were no other rooms to move us to (this we know was untrue) but after 2 nights they did move us onto the top floor in the same block, which was away from the sight of the sewer and the smell wasn't as bad!!
After a bad start the holiday did get better as the resort is very pretty and peaceful.
If considering staying at the Peace Laguna my advise is, don't book a standard room, book a cottage.

Room Tip: Unable to give accurate scoring on the above due to initial problems. My tip is don't go for a s...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nadenbrook
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I will keep this short and sweet...I purchased a package from this hotel to be booked at a later date. A few months later I called to book my 3 night stay and the hotel staff confirmed my requested dates. Great, I booked my plane ticket from Bangkok to Krabi and back. Later that day they informed me the room was full and not available. Too late I booked my ticket. The hotel staff said I'd have to stay at another hotel nearby the first day and move to their hotel on my second day. This put my trip off on the wrong foot already and wasn't part of the deal with the package.

The room they finally provided me was OK, with one exception. The shower was clogged and water ran out of the bathroom to the rest of the room whenever I showered. I reported this but it was never fixed.

I asked the next morning for some cereal as breakfast was finished serving. The staff told me breakfast was already finished and walked away without any further help.

So far the staff have been less than helpful...I wouldn't come back here at all. Just bad Management and a complete lack of hospitality. So far I've felt like a second rate guest.

To be avoided.

Room Tip: Villas are the best way to go so it seems. Make sure they don't stick you in a superior room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jjwright73
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in January 2012.

Being a tourist hotspot, quality accommodation in Ao Nang tends to be costly especially during Dec – Feb holiday peak. Thanks to Agoda, we paid about 100USD per night of standard room stay (comes with ABF) which I consider reasonable as compared to other similar scale resorts in the vicinity. Frankly, I was not expecting much from Peace Laguna, especially after an unpleasant experience with another resort in the same area just 3 months ago. The recent negative reviews did not help much too.

First Impression

Tucked away the quiet corner of a busy street, Peace Laguna turns out to be a delightful experience. A small lake resides at the heart of the resort provides a serene atmosphere for guests. Resort staff was warm and check in took only 5 minutes upon presenting our booking voucher. Cold drinks were served promptly while we waited. After check in was completed, a hotel staff then directed us personally to our room.

As we walked pass the reception area, we were also informed that the hotel provides free tea and coffee together with snacks for guests daily between 4-5pm. Indulging in a nice cup of coffee at the lobby with the picturesque backdrop of the nearby mountains is an excellent way to read a book or chill out with fellow travelers.

Our Room

Hurray, we got a free upgrade to a top floor superior room with impressive Mountain View. We noted that there are 3 superior blocks but only 1 block has elevator facility. Unfortunately, my block does not have elevator facility but NO BIG DEAL, its only 3 storey and the view is certainly worth the climb.

The contemporary styled room is huge enough for 3 guests. It comes with living room area with a small kitchen area (no cooking facilities), 1 single bed, 1 king size bed, a huge bathroom with bathtub and a balcony. I am slightly disappointed that only basic supplies of toiletries were provided – shower cap, cotton bud, shower foam, shampoo and soap. I would expect bedroom slippers and toothbrush for a 4 stars resort. Mattress is hard too, as pointed out in other reviews but NO BIG DEAL TOO as I was too tired after each fun filled day and I had no problems falling asleep. A plus point would be the abundance of electrical sockets meaning I could boil water, blow dry my hair and charge my handphone at the same time. Lovely.

Food and Lounge

I have only tried the complimentary American breakfast buffet at the restaurant overlooking the mountain. Food tends to be secondary in this wonderful ambience. Spread lacks wow factor but is acceptable for the hotel scale. Aside usual egg station and good choice of eggs, there are standard fare such as cereals, pancakes, and some thai food selection.

It is worthy to note that the resort lounge feature live band every evening. I could actually enjoy the music from the comfort of my room since it is located close to the main block. Lovely.

Summary

I bet most of you were confused by the mixed reviews of this hotel. I guess it boils down to which room you are staying and setting right expectation. Peace Laguna is one of the older establishment in the area so it means that décor may seems dated to some. Nonetheless, the warm service attitude of the staff sure make up for its shortcoming.

Also, there is indeed a short cut to beach area which is a plus point. If you are staying in cottages, it will be about 5 minutes walk away. If you are staying in superior or standard block, it will be about 10-15 minutes walk. However, staying at the cottage could also mean a good 10 minutes walk to the main block.

Tips
1. If you need laundry service, there’s a tailor shop right outside resort main entrance which cost 35baht per kilo which is much cheaper than resort’s charge.
2. Do check out monkey trail via short cut to beach area. The monkey are friendly and fun to watch.

Room Tip: If you opt for superior room, try to opt for corner unit (besides stair case) which is bigger. Yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Well don't fall the photos published on their website because its not as great as it shows. The place is clean but depends which side you get the room. There is sewer which runs on the back try to see the room before u check in or at the time of check in.
The view is great and location is excellent, very near to the beach, plus the prices are average.

Room Tip: Try looking for the room before check in.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Momin N
parola
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Bungalows are great, pools just good enough and people is super! Breakfast is so so good! We've been there many times before and we'll be there again =)

Room Tip: Cottages are big enough for family.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Auckland Central, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We just arrived back from 3 weeks in Thailand. The middle week was 1 week at Peace Laguna in Ao Nang and let me start by saying - NEVER GO TO THAILAND OVER CHRISTMAS/NEW YEAR. It's crazy. The prices are 4 times 'normal' and there are far too many people during this peak season. A waste of time !!!

At first everything was OK with the manager - Michael - he showed us the rooms (we were 4 adults and 2 kids) and after some discussion we managed to secure some bigger rooms, even though that meant we had to move after 2 days. But 2 adults and 2 kids in a standard is no fun! The standard rooms are small and very tired - especially the bathroom. On top of that when you walk out your door, the view of the building site or dump is not very good.... so stay away from these - not worth it !! (Must say though that the private cottage we moved to after 2 days was very nice - but also very expensive!)

Next thing we found out that the New Year Party was going to be held in the parking lot and my husband was not very happy about this as the price for the party was first of all compulsary and quite expensive! When he talked to Michael about this, Michael got very upset and called us all 'very difficult' and didn't really work according to 'the customer is always right'..... :o)

The New Year Party was kind of a joke. The food was good and they had actually managed to make the parking lot look OK, so we just went with the flow and really tried to get the best out of it. But then the entainment started... and that's when we all just gave up. It was so bad that we just had to laugh - there was nothing else to do than laugh :o) Around 10pm we left and went to the beach - and that was the best thing we could have ever done. It was beautiful down there !!!!

So overall we didn't really feel 'at home' in this hotel, even though they had some nice swimming pools and the breakfast was OK :o)

PS. Their mattresses are hard as stone, both in standard rooms and private cottages !!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family