“Thailand's Own Faulty Towers - Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andamanee Boutique Resort

Andamanee Boutique Resort
Ranked #63 of 105 Hotels in Ao Nang
Ottawa, Canada
“Thailand's Own Faulty Towers - Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you are considering this hotel, I urge you to read this review.

Please don't brush off this review as "crazy." This hotel is crazy.

If you're pressed for time, here's a quick synopsis:
1- absent and/or belligerent staff
2- non-existent services and amenities
3- remote and isolated, exacerbated due to #2
4- reservations unknown

My friend and I booked this hotel for the first two nights of a 5 night stay in Krabi, and I'm very glad we only booked 2 nights, and wish we'd booked just 1, or preferably, zero.

I want to make it clear that we didn't arrive straight off a plane from Canada, we had been travelling for 3 weeks in Thailand and Myanmar/Burma, so our expectations were very adjusted, let's just say.

Our experience here was thoroughly bad from start to finish. I'd like to walk you through it.

Day 1

Arriving at the hotel, it was clear that the location was not ideal. It is about a 1.5 km up a road without sidewalk or space to walk safely from the beach and nearest restaurant, and 4.5 km from the actual Ao Nang town.

Upon arrival at 4 PM, we found the reception area empty, so we sat and waited. And waited. And waited. After about 20 minutes, we went looking for some staff. We finally found one, one floor up after going into their commercial kitchen. That lady told us that the reception was on the ground floor and that we needed to wait. So wait we did. Finally having completed her task, she came down to the reception and handed me a form to fill in. After I completed it, I handed it to her and she asked me if I had a reservation. I said yes, and handed her my iPad with my Agoda voucher. She looked at it very briefly and handed it back. Shen then told me to sit down. A few minutes later, she declared that she could not find my reservation, when did I book it? I told her yesterday, with Agoda. She then asked me if I had a voucher, - having already shown it to her on my iPad - I gave her my iPad again, another brief look and instruction to sit down again. She announces again that they can't find my reservation. I ask if they do business with Agods, yes she confirms. Then you will have to call them and sort this out because I have an Agoda voucher and you accepted the reservation, said I. She then looked at the voucher again, then RAN AWAY without saying a word.

At this point we were left alone in reception again, then a new employee came. She asked for the voucher again, and finally found the reservation. She confirmed that they did in fact have the reservation, but the room was not ready because they were VERY busy and weren't expecting us? So we asked if we could go to the restaurant to eat. No, it was closed. Can we get anything at all to eat or drink? No, the restaurant is closed! She insisted that we leave the resort and not return before 7 pm! Given the bum rush, we walked to the nearest restaurant, which was a long and unsafe walk, and very poorly signed, so we were lost in a strange neighbourhood along the way.

Returning after 7, the room was ready, and she walked us through the hours of operation for the services, including the restaurant: dinner until 10. The room was fine, but smelled off, which we later figured out was because they don't have smoking and non-smoking rooms, so they must spray the rooms with some kind of chemical to cover the smoke smell. Gross. The minibar was empty, except for the price list, so I went to the lobby bar to get a drink. Despite being listed as open until 10, at 730 it was very closed, and looked like it was permanently closed. Same with the pool bar. The restaurant was empty too. So I went to the front desk, and luckily someone was there dealing with another guest, so I managed out get a couple of beers.

At 845, we were hungry and tired from running a round all day (being thrown out of your own hotel can do that), so we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. We arrived to an EMPTY restaurant again, so we went into the kitchen (this really did turn out to be the best way to find staff at the hotel) and asked to order. We were then told that it wasn't possible because the last order allowed was at 9. Noting that we were told earlier that day that it closed at 10, and that it was 845, could we order? Begrudgingly, she said yes, but only something "easy" we were told. How about pad thai, I asked. The employer HUFFED at me, so I said, I give up, tell me what's easy and that I'm allowed to order. She RAN AWAY again. At this point we asked her to call a cab and we headed into town. We shared the cab with a Russian couple staying at the hotel, and when we asked them if the hotel seemed strange to them, they agreed.

Day 2

The next morning we headed into town right away, but not before a trip to the restaurant kitchen to get a staff member to call it for us, of course. Upon our return that night, we found our used towels hung on the balcony to dry, rather than replaced. They were still damp, and we had no way of knowing which towel was who's, so we called for new ones. The first person who answered the phone did not speak English at all. We then received a call back from someone who did, who asked us WHY we needed new ones, since we HAD towels, the pool was closed, and we were checking out tomorrow? Exasperated, we said they were damp, and we wanted dry ones. They eventually came.

Day 3

We were happy to check out. Another trip to the kitchen was of course in order. The original disaster of an employee came down, and without a word took the key and RAN AWAY to inspect the room. Satisfied, she came back and just said 'ok.' Luckily a taxi came by dropping other guests, so we took it and got the heck out of there.

To be clear, the hotel looks like it was very nicely designed, but repairs have been on the cheap and it is going downhill from that perspective. The isolation would be okay, if the hotel wasn't a complete disaster. If it had a functional restaurant. If it had a bar that was ever open. If the minibars were stocked. If you were able to find a member of staff. If you were permitted to have clean towels without being accosted.

It's a Thai version of 'Fawlty Towers,' and the worst hotel I can remember staying at.

Room Tip: I recommend a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank GeoffreyOttawa

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Delhi, in, National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were looking for a quiet time at a nice place after spending the best part of the week in in Bangkok and Samui. This place turned out to be just fantastic for that. It is in a secluded quiet location with beautiful surroundings. Although it did take a bit of time for the cabbie to find the place (he seemed to go round and round maybe to make more money). But once there we didn't end up leaving the resort for the next day and a half. Would highly recommend for a quiet serene time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mt. Isa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

The resort looked good when we first arrived but soon you realise its short falls. The Rate we paid was 2200 bht. The jacuzzi doesn't work nor does it look like it has worked for quite sometime. The pool bar or any bar for that matter is not open and there were signs everywhere saying "no outside drinks allowed". The rooms are noisy with air- con and plumbing sounds. The breakfast was pretty good as was the pool. Good rooms but not really worth the money as there is just very basic catering and no bar there or nearby

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Albert K
Cape Town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We booked this hotel through our travel agent. To start with our transfer could not find the hotel...warning light number one......this hotel is not close to the beach or shops...it seems to be at the back of the local neighberhood.We arrived at around 5PM, no staff visible, no friendky thai welcome......the foyer was dark and deserted.....after walking around and calling a lady came out of nowhere but she could not speak english....she eventually went to fetch a young lady who presented herself in shorts and a tank top. The look on her face told us she was not expecting us - she put some lights on and looked for a key. She took us to a room overlooking some pipes etc. We booked a room overlooking a stream?????? The rooms was not bad, the mini bar was empty....what bothered us most was the fact that we did not see any othere guests!!!! It was dead quiet and kind of spooky to be honest. It took us about 5 min in the room to decide that we have to find another hotel. We went to look for the young english speaking lady again in the once again dark foyer....we found her and ask to rent a scooter. We went to Ao Nang Beach front and found another hotel. We went back to the hotel and told her we are checking out - she immediately said she will not give us our money back - although we did not ask for it - she could not get rid of us fast enough!!! their modus operandi like other travellers have mentioned is to get rid of you if you complain, say you want to leave etc.They have your money already - so they dont care! If you want to exoerience true thai hospitality this is not the place for you. There is much better hotels in Ao Nang on the beach!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Liezl1979

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We are staying here right now ... And after a quick read of the reviews I am shield at some people complaining over a 50 baht taxi ride that takes 5-10 minutes .. You cheap, lazy people go back to the comfort of your own hole !! Or walk the street out the front is great ... People on here wringing about the service is because you don't show respect to them they won't give it back to you .. Another couple here are so rude to the staff here ... It comes back to being friendly and you will get better service .. Some of you people complain about the most trivial things !!!!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank bennyjewell
Kristiansand, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

At first when we arrived at this hotel, after regular check-in hour, we were told that the room was not availible yet. They said that it had been very busy, and that's why they where extra late with cleaning the rooms that day. We didn't know what to say, but clearly there where no room and we'd have to wait. We asked in a kind way if we could get one soft drink each as compensation, as it was very hot.. The response we got to this was a long lecture about how busy it had been, how impossible it was to clean all the rooms in the availible time, that they had to change the check-out time next year - and that we had to understand this... as it was our fault??!? At one point we ordered some food from the reception to our room. As she didn't have change, she said they bring it with the food. We had to ask for this by check-out - and she didn't even apollogize. While mentioning room-service. It took about one hour (maybe even more) to get one small pizza. And this is just some examples from our stay. We did all conversation with much the same lady, so I can't speak for the other sisters. Although it didn't seem like the other two knew much English.

For the record, there was not many people staying at this hotel when we were there, but they still used a long time cleaning rooms. Just to mention the rooms didn't get washed, they just used a broom. We could fint dirt at different places after checking in.

Rooms are quite big and spacious. Nice to have personal balcony. Good aircondition. Bathrooms have both bathtub and shower. Not very functional draining-system, as the bathroom floor got all wet during showering. It felt like they had put much more effort into looks than functionality.

The pool was very nice, although imbarrasingly few sunchairs. I think we counted about 9, and only half of this was in the sun at the same time. Good thing to have free transport to/from city centre aonang, but this is just 4 times a day (i think it was 9-12-15-18 from the hotel). Recommend to take a motorbike, 50 THB per person, late night 60 THB. Takes about 5-10 min.

If you only intend to sleep and care for yourselv this hotel is ok, but if you expect a little service you better chose a different hotel. We didn't expect much, and are usually easy people to satisfy, but the service at this hotel is really terrible. I will never consider going back before they do something about this. This is dragging the hotel down, as it otherwise isn't that bad.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Klumpelumpen
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Pros:

Nice resort with a pool, spa and deck area
Restaurant
Decent rooms

Cons:

Isolated location
Not much dining options
Only protected from the mosquitoes in your room (open restaurant, open reception etc.)

If you want a holiday where all you do is get a massage, laze by the pool, have a nap and read a good book this resort is for you.

If you want a holiday where you go to the beach, explore the town and eat out alot this is not the resort for you.

Biggest problem for me was location, I got tired of eating the restaurant food over and over again, so you'd have to take a 10 min tuk tuk into town, which can get tiring all the time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends