“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Duang Jai Resort

Duang Jai Resort
Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Ao Nang
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Being off season we were upgraded on arrival to 1st floor room overlooking the pool (we had booked poolside). A very relaxing haven to come back to after our various excursions. Lovely setting with palms and other greenery around the beautiful pool. Everything was wonderfully clean. Staff really friendly and helpful. Even lent me a charger connection for my phone when I realised I had left mine behind. On the first night we asked if they could organise a massage for us. It was so good we repeated the experience the next night. Hotel is very well located. Close to all manner of bars and restaurants but remaining very quiet and peaceful in its own right even though there was a construction site next door. A great stay. We would go back.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms overlooking the pool give you more privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W

Reviewed 24 August 2013

After spending far too many hours researching every possible lodging choice, I chose Duang Jai based on a referral by Elizabeth from Andaman Camp and Cruise who had a better rate than what was listed. Since we'd arrived on a Tuesday and there were only 2 other sets of guests, we were upgraded to a room on the 2nd floor, which does offer more privacy than the ground floor.

Pros: Spacious room, with high ceilings, tiled floors, and a cute seating area outside the patio window. Beautiful layout of the hotel grounds, salt-water pool was great. The morning coffee --- we're pretty sure they made espresso and called it coffee. Holy moly! Friendly and helpful staff. Easy to walk down the street or to hail a tuk tuk. 40 baht for 2 to any part of the main strip.

Cons: We stayed until Friday, and on Thursday night it was obvious more people had checked in because all of a sudden we could hear noises from the rooms next door. The AC is loud. Poor TV quality. Breakfast during the week could have more variety, every morning it was toast and jam, coffee, juice, mixed fruits, scrambled/fried or omelette, sausage, and a piece of ham. Not the hotel's fault, but the construction site next door does make a bit of noise during the day if you want to spend it lounging by the pool.

Overall --- it's a good solid choice in an area that has many many choices, it's a charming place compared to the larger hotels. I'd love to return when construction in the area is complete. Do remember your bug repellent before going to breakfast, those mosquitos got me a coupla times!

Room Tip: I agree with all the other reviewers --- go for second floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frances C
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I went around and around about staying in Ao Nang after reading the reviews of the area. In the end we decided to use it as our base because there are 6 in our family and as stated the taxi fares are exorbitant in Krabi.

We needed some place we could walk from and Duang Jai fit the bill. It is along a fairly quiet street of primarily other hotels. To get to Nopparat thara beach you just go to the end of the main road and turn right. It's quite close; less than a 10 minute walk (this with kids in tow.) To get to Ao Nang Beach you turn left. Slightly farther but easily walkable. Unfortunately it rained our whole visit so we didn't get to do as much in the area as we'd hoped to. (The hotel has umbrellas you can borrow.)

The staff here is wonderful. We were here during low season and during a weekend of full on rain so we virtually had the place to ourselves. The manager Jeab was very friendly and helped arrange transportation for us to our next stop. Two of our girls were treated to having their hair expertly braided by Pim. A real treat!

The food at the restaurant is good. It wasn't super cheap but not expensive either. The free breakfast that came with our room was simple but filling. Eggs made to order (and some meat if you wanted), toast, fruit, juice, and coffee. The fact that it was open air did not bother us in the least.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the hotel was the architecture. The tile, the fish-filled pools, and the plantings were serene and beautifully done.

As others have mentioned I did hear a slight bit of construction noise from the neighboring property while outside but it didn't disturb us. I probably wouldn't have thought anything about it had I not read it in the reviews.

The one thing I should mention is that the rooms might not work very well if you have a toddler or have problems with stairs. We stayed on the lower floor and there are two steps up to the room and tile in front of the rooms. This was very slippery when wet. (They provide a pair of rubber soled sandals in the room.) The bathroom and kitchen/closet area are on a different level than the beds in the rooms. You have to go down a couple of steps to get to this area. They are open wooden steps and difficult to see at night. There is a night light in the room (possibly because of this). Architecturally pleasing but hard to deal with if you had very young children.

Also, the kitchen area does not have any curtains. Each room comes with a beautiful (small) courtyard out the back door. Next to the hotel is a field. Where privacy might be an issue is that there is a hotel one lot over that is taller. We could see lights and windows from this hotel. I really couldn't tell what (if any) their view would be of our rooms but I would have liked to have been able to close a curtain. Also, curtains would have darkened the rooms. The beds are out of the line of the back door making the area darker and private.

The beds are quite firm but that seems to be the norm in Asia. We got two cots (we had two rooms) and they were a bit softer.

We did experience a few minutes of power outage in the evening. This was noted in the hotel info as a possible occurrence common in the area. They were of short duration.

Pros: beautiful grounds, super staff, good location
Cons: stairs a bit tricky to navigate

Overall a nice small hotel. Good choice if you choose Ao Nang (though we'd not choose the area again.)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank FallonPierce
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I found this hotel more by chance and only regret that I didn't find it earlier. Lovely setting in a mature and tranquil garden at the end of a quiet road (It's the last one on the left hand side past Aree Tara) in the Nopparat Area .It is walking distance to a number of restaurants, street stalls and both beaches.

The spacious rooms are very well appointed with even a mini kitchenette and have beautiful verandas or balconies all overlooking the pool and garden. No room ever faces the road, like in so many other hotels in the area. Another plus is the small size, with only 21 rooms it has a much more personal feel to it and quite often you even get the pool to yourself (well in low season that is)
Staff are helpful and friendly and still have that smile on their face that seems to have gone missing in a lot of tourist areas these days. Most of the waiting staff have only a limited grasp of the English language but they make more than up for it with their kindness.
Especially Jeab, the Manager is very friendly and very helpful with every request you may have. I loved that she took the time in the morning to greet every guest personally and have a little chat. You certainly can tell that she loves her job.

The only minor downside is that you get some noise during the day from building work going on in the neighborhood where more hotels are build; but that would apply to all hotels in this area.
Which brings me to what some previous reviewers described as slum or shanty town opposite the hotel. This is indeed a neatly fenced off compound that houses construction workers and their families while they work on the new buildings. So by no means a dodgy area.

I certainly can recommend this hotel and would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have a high ceiling and give you more privacy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Tina J
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I really like this hotel. It's situated on the quiet street and surrounded by the forest but at the same time it's not far away from the main street. It takes just a few minutes to get there. It's very quiet and lovely. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The hotel doesn't have many rooms so you really get personal service while staying. The rooms are very clean and spacious with the little back yard if you sstay on the first floor. The pool is very nice. The hotel has a little garden that's very well maintained. The price is very good compare to the other hotels. During my stay in aonang I changed 3 hotels. In this one I spent 17 nights. I really recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank kapriz
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Love this hotel,

After searching many different options I found this hotel by luck.
It's a great place to stay.
The hotel is so beautiful and clean.
Staff is great and professional.
The Manager is always available for every request and the owner is on site most of the days.
Rooms are lovely with a tropical feel.
Breakfast is good.
Pool is so nice and clean and is filled with clean sea water!!!
Hotel is Set in a beautiful tropical garden.
The Whole staff will go above and beyond to meet every of your requests.
Great Value. Do not think twice before booking here. This hotel is a true GEM!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurent S
Reviewed 11 February 2013

-Small and cozy hotel. You get to know the friendly personnel and the other guests.

-Good breakfast.

-Clean hotel with nice rooms.

-Location: a few hundred meters from the beach but no traffic sound.

-We can most certainly recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple