“Basic, not very clean, rubbish breakfast! Very close to beech”
Review of The Palace Ao Nang

The Palace Ao Nang
Ranked #74 of 108 Hotels in Ao Nang
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Basic, not very clean, rubbish breakfast! Very close to beech”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We are a couple traveling for only three weeks around Thailand so are looking for at least average accommodation for us this was very basic and we have a few bad and good points.

The hotel was to pick us up from the airport at 3.20pm no one showed up until at least 4.30pm.
When we finally got to the hotel the receptionist apologised and said we had been upgraded, we got the key and went to the room happy to have been upgraded, until we saw the room. It was on the 2nd floor above the kitchen, the bath had a hole in it and was very grubby, the floor was dirty grubby marks on walls and cobwebs all around windows and the safe did not open. We rang out travel agent from Bangkok who rang the hotel and they offered us a different room. We then was moved to the 4th floor, this room although still un clean floors, grubby bathroom was a lot better and we had views. Always ask for a higher floor room!! We had an upgrade to a deluxe room so I don't want to think what the basic other rooms are like. The shower was not very hot or powerful but this seems to be the case in most hotels in Thailand.
The bed although hard was fine and we did not struggle to sleep, room was quiet but needed better curtains.
We had a problem with the bathroom sink leaking they give us towels as was late at night and sorted first thing in am which was good.
The breakfast I did not like but other people seemed happy to be eating it, fruit, pasta salads, boiled ham, hot dogs and omlets can be requested, also toast available to make yourself others bits also available. Not a British breakie if that's what your looking for.
The wifi was good although can only be used in reception area, the hotel also has a travel agents who offer discount on the trips if you are staying in this hotel based next to reception.
The reception claims to be 24hr but two nights we found the receptionist to be asleep under a blanket on the floor.
The location is the hotels best feature by far. We did not use the pool in our 4 day trip as did a few excursion so cannot advise

Room Tip: Top floor for better views
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jenn G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We booked a room here through a travel agent in Bangkok (who we thought was trustworthy). We had already stayed at another hotel in Ao Nang which was beautiful and were meant to stay here for one night. It was awful! The room and bathroom weren't very clean, and the bathroom was extremely smelly. We told the staff about it and they came up and looked at it and told us to air the room out. The lock on the back and front doors seemed really easily opened and didnt feel very secure.The whole place in generally looks like it is falling apart. I dont mind staying somewhere basic but this was awful. We couldnt stay the one night we were supposed too. There are many nicer places to stay in Krabi!

Oh I forgot to mention the bed sheets were dirty people from last night must have had fun and the pool still had building working going on, wouldn't let your dog swim in it.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Eeyore264

Travellers are raving about these Ao Nang hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst travelling around thailand. We found this hotel was in a good location being only a few minutes away from beach. Also near to bars and restaurants but enough distance to be quiet to sleep well.
We were on top floor with balcony over looking pool area and a great view overseeing the mountains and sea. The room itself was basic but clean and decent facilties to wash etc.
Breakfast was a small variety of hot and cold food,but kitchen staff would make omeletes and eggs for you.
Swimming pool had warm water but alittle dirty, not sure how often it was cleaned.
Overall good stay and close to everything you wanted to see.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank andrea c
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed in the hotel for two weeks because it would have been too expensive to change our hotel... To begin with, we had problems with water and ants. Water breaks were daily problem, we didn't get any explanation. There were ants in our hotel room, though we were staying on the top floor. One morning I forgot my wallet in the hotel room when we went to the beach. When we returned I immediately counted my money; 50€ were disappeared. Of course I contacted our hotel manager, but without any proof I couldn't do anything about it. So please, use the safety box in your room and don't be as stupid as I was... The breakfast was poor, I don't recommend the restaurant either. Rooms are quite clean, but totally worn out.

If you're not picky and want to safe some money, this hotel is a tolerable option for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road are loud; the traffic is horrible all night long.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Only stayed for one night with a group of friends, but found this accommodation reasonable price, comfortable accommodation in a very good location close to the beach and all kinds of shopping.
On street parking only, but helpful staff and a sound breakfast. Pool is nice and there is an internet cafe downstairs with free wifi in the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a triple room on second floor. There are many "share" rooms with my friends i...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jazzman54
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

'-we stayed for 3 nights and service our room every day but so many sand at our bed,no lift..but very close to every where...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 May 2012

-This is the 1st time i stay a hotel without lift and yet we stayed at level 4! but i cannot accept without a phone in the room ~! I had to go downstair from level 4 to the reception counter for enquiries... it happened a few times each day!!!
- I stayed for 4 nights but the staff only did the room service for 2 days only... I had to remind them again and again (more than 2 times) but somehow I did not know why they still did not clean my room and replenish the toiletry kit.. I ended up with no toilet papers and had to rush down to reception counter for more toilet papers.. You know what?? The staff gave me an unpleasant face like I was interuppting him playing some stupid PC games...
- It's way OVERPRICED... the room was very hot and air conditioner was not functioning well... Toilet's ventilation like hell... I could hardly breathe during my "bio break".. and all the furnitures look like century old, smelly and dirty...
- Overall, I would say this hotel is HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED to stay for holiday... Apart from the strategic location, it was disappointed in all categories...
WARNING ***: DO NOT TRUST THE PHOTO ON THEIR WEBSITE....

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple