“Nice resort”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isla Baru
Oshawa
“Nice resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Just returned from a week at the Royal Decameron Baru resort from Feb 20 to 27. Was a relaxing week with beautiful surroundings and hot weather. We were in building 7 on 3rd floor had 39 steps just to room one way. Everywhere on resort is lots of steps. there are ramps but they are long way around and are still steep so would be hard pushing a wheel chair. spent most of time on beach lots of chairs and shade. water was nice and clear with lots of fish. by 1 pm beach was almost empty every day We sat to the left of the beach bar a little ways up the beach so was fairly quiet. there was a swampy smell every afternoon but we got used to it. We seen iguana every afternoon which was nice brought bread and threw it for him. Do not try to feed him from hand ( seen someone do it and he was bite)

FOOD was okay we did buffet for breakfast and a few lunches and dinners. Did the snack bar for lunch hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and fish chicken.Burgers were homemade and discovered sweet BBQ sauce is mustard. good variety in buffet for lunch. al la cartes were good we did all three Seafood, Italian, and Asian, Lasagna was good at Italian we liked the Asian best ate there 2 nights. all restaurants serve only beer and wine, If you want other alcohol bring it with you. Also wine was not very good so shop duty free and pick up a variety of your good wine..

ROOMS were okay only there to sleep. bathroom was different had frosted door to cubicle with toilet. this door made loud clicking noise every time you opened and closed it. shower stall nice a big with a clothesline in it for wet things. No fridges in room so you have warm water bottles. We went to front desk second day and asked for fridge. was delivered that afternoon no charge. the room have actual keys for the door they are on a ribbon to wear around neck. we used the safe which you have to pay extra for at front desk. They give you a lock and key for it. We hid key in room . The key for your room has the room number engraved in it so if you loose it whoever finds it can go visit your room if they chose to.
All bars close at 6pm except lobby bar. bring your own coolie mug with you as the glasses are the size of juice cups so four mouthfuls and your empty. Their is a definite language barrier if you speak Spanish you are served first.

We did one excursion and that was to cartegena. We did the boat ride which was offered on Monday so it only took 1/2 hour to arrive in cartegena. we were then split into two groups English and french. the English was great there was 8 of us with the guide.. Our guide Juan was very good He gave us great tips of best places to buy emeralds when asked. I bought them at crafters market at back of stall 22 sales lady spoke English plus Juan was nearby if we needed us. He recommended buying there as price would be better less tax then if we bought at emerald museum. He also directed us for best place to buy coffee. We had lunch at San Pedro restaurant.( very good) but had armed guard at door they made really good pina colodas tasted just like milkshakes.
The bus ride to and from resort was an 1 1/2 each way so lots of sight seeing. once outside of city it became really dirty with garbage everywhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LoriOshawa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I visited from Feb 13-20 and felt that this was one of the most beautiful resorts that we have been to. Very clean with nice landscaping and amazing views. The food left a bit to be desired and it was way too noisy, but otherwise a really nice place to go.

ROOM – The rooms are unique in that the bathroom is not entirely separated but the sleeping area, which was a bit strange but in no way caused any issues. We were in building 2 on the 3rd floor and had a great view from the large balcony. The decor of the room was also very nice. On the downside, there wasn’t a lot of space for clothing (not that we needed much) and there was only 1 English television channel (not that we spent much time watching tv).

POOLS & GROUNDS – Some of the nicest we have seen! The pools were massive and the water was clean and wonderfully warm. Lots of chairs available too. There is an activities pool and also a quieter one. My only complaint was that they still played music at the quiet pool. It would have been nice if there was at least one quiet spot in the resort. The grounds were also very nice with lots of plants and birds everywhere.

BEACH – It is a man-made beach so far from the nicest around. On the plus side once you get past a few feet of coral bits it is all sand and the water is clear and warm. There are quite a few chairs and a good amount of shade. If you want a much nicer beach head over to Playa Puntilla (via the boat at the water activities center) and walk towards Playa Blanca. Just a few minutes away from the beach club are some pristine and quiet areas where you can be almost by yourself.

FOOD – The food was okay, not great, but we certainly did not go hungry! Every breakfast was at the main buffet and had your usually selection of eggs, pancakes, fruit, etc. For lunch we ate about half at the buffet and the other half at Play Puntilla (burgers, fish, chicken…quite good). The dinner at the buffet was okay but the live music was so loud that we couldn’t even carry on a conversation. We opted for the a-la-cartes (Asian, Italian, seafood) and were quite happy with our meals at each. You can book reservations (3 at a time) in the morning at a desk near the main bar.

OTHER: The snorkeling around the rock areas was great and also over in Playa Blanca. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen so many fish. The ride from the airport to the resort was a long 1.5 hours through some awful areas. It was a terrible way to start & end a vacation. It was so bad that we decided not to visit Cartagena at all as we didn’t want to go through that commute 2 more times.

PROS – The grounds and pools were very nice. With the resort set on a hill there are definitely some great views and beautiful sunsets. .The snorkeling was better than expected. Hot & sunny every day!
CONS – The noise! It was difficult to find anywhere where there wasn’t music being played. For non-Spanish speaking people there was certainly a language barrier. Beach vendors & jet-skis were annoying. The trip from the airport was not pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Courtice, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here from January 23rd to January 30th (Thursday – Thursday) through Nolitours and flew with CanJet out of Toronto. We picked this destination as we wanted to try something outside of Cuba, Mexico and DR. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The best part was the weather. Excellent temperatures every day and no rain!

TRANSFER to the hotel was about 90 minutes. The bridge is so close to completion so come March 2014, travelers will no longer need to take the ferry. This will cut the transfer time to one hour and smoother roadway. I have to say though, the roads were not that rough.

CHECK IN was great. Mind you our flight was nearly empty so we didn’t have a huge volume of people to check in. We were greeted at the airport and given a package which had tags for our luggage with our room numbers already populated on them. Once the bags got onto the bus, we didn’t see them again until we got to our room. We were greeted with a drink and dancers. Upon entering our room we noticed we didn’t have the remotes for the air conditioner or TV so we spoke to the front desk and housekeeping delivered them right away. A few days in we had the battery go in our smoke detector and again, this was dealt with right away. The room was a good size and the bathroom open concept with a glass frosted door to the toilet and a glass frosted door for the shower. The balcony was a nice size with a table and two chairs. A fridge was included, but only water was stocked daily. The only thing I could fault the room for was the joining room door which did not block out any noise from our neighbours. A little annoying to be woken up on the middle of the wee hours as they stagger in and banged things around. The room was very clean. We met Nathalie from Nolitours the next day (Friday) at 9am to review info, trips etc. Nathalie is a delight to deal with.

My husband and I did two excursions:
CITY TOUR BY BOAT – This excursion was offered on Monday. We departed from the resort by boat at 8am and returned by boat around 4:30pm. They combined the English and French speaking vacationers. We travelled by boat to through the Bocachica Canal. Once we got to the bus in the city, we were placed in our groups based on language. Our spots included the San Fernando and San Jose Forts, various villages, The Convent of the Popa monument, Old Shoes monument, San Felipe Castle and strolled through the Downtown Historic center of the City. Not much time was given for shopping (30 minutes), but where we stopped offered a lot of shops with various items. Lunch was included in this tour at a wonderful upscale restaurant. They offered three choices, chicken, beef or fish. The cost for this tour was $330,000 pesos per person plus the cost of ‘boat fee’ of $US8.

CULTURE/CRAFT TOUR – This excursion was offered on Wednesday. We departed from the resort by bus at 8am and although scheduled to be returning by 6pm, we did not arrive until 7:30pm. Our first stop was a little over an hour at the Guillermo Pineres Botanical Garden. Through the path we saw lots of Colombian Caribbean wildflowers, fruit trees, plants and forestry. We also saw a family of monkeys. (Bring bananas if you want to get up close and personal with them.) There were also two colourful parrots. We travelled through various villages, had lunch at a local restaurant (pork, chicken and fish as options), and stopped at the Ethnic Archaelogical Museum where we saw a folklore dance and visited a lady who makes wonderful hammocks (she demonstrated) and bags. I would say purchasing bags from this lady was probably the best place to buy. We did visit a school which was in session. This may not be included all the time as school may not be in session when you visit. However, one couple brought things for the teacher and the students were very excited. We stopped at the market in San Jacinto. We loved browsing through shop to shop. A great amount of variety here and everything was well priced. Everything was all handmade and beautiful souvenirs to bring back to Canada. We had about 40 minutes to shop here. For this tour, please ensure that you have Colombian pesos on you. Some tried to get money from the bank machine and it did not work for many, myself included (I did inform my bank and tried VISA too). The vendors prefer Colombian pesos. The cost for this tour was $165,000 pesos.

INTERNET – options available – 1 hour, 2 hours or 12 hours. I found the wifi for our ipod did not work in our room and was strongest, especially for face timing, in the lobby. Sometimes I could get it around the pool. 1 hours cost $10,000 pesos, 2 hours cost $15,000 pesos. Remember to logout correctly to avoid wasting minutes. Computers are available at the resort to use.

SAFETY – I felt completely safe at this resort and off on day trips. All tour guides are well versed in English and are extremely helpful and friendly. When we walked over to the Playa Blanca beach, we were approached by vendors, but a simple no gracias was accepted.

FOOD – we were satisfied with the food offered. Your breakfast included your typical egg station. You order your omelet then move to the next line for pick up. Here’s a hint about bacon – they keep it behind the counter. You can ask for it at the egg or pancake station. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Lunch was offered at the buffet restaurant or you can order items from the beach restaurant and it is served to you at your table. Items available at the beach restaurant include, burgers, fries, fish. We did the Italian Restaurant twice and the Seafood restaurant once. If you wanted and if available, you could book an a la carte every night. There was no limit. Booking a la cartes were available in the main lobby behind the front desk starting at 7:30am.

BEACH/POOLS – The main pool was very busy, but the other two were quiet. The beach was well spaced out and really no need to get up at the crack of dawn to claim a chair. The resort seemed full and there were always chairs available.

GYM – excellent equipment, opened 7am – 7pm

DRESS CODE: There really wasn’t one. Only rule was not to wear your wet bathing suit. Although I brought three dresses, I ‘dressed down’ mainly for comfort. Hubby loved that he could wear his shorts and flip flops to dinner. He did wear a collared shirt.

MISC: On the Sunday we took the barge over (a 10 second ride) to the RD beach/bar and from there walked 45 minutes each way to Playa Blanca beach. It was very busy given a Sunday and was a nice way to explore and see the locals with their families. We did have to sign out which I think was for our protection.

The Spa offers 20% off to Nolitour travelers. I enjoyed a one hour massage for $US51.

Snorkeling is not bad – no extreme coral reefs, but some scattered. Quite a few fish can be found on the left side of the beach (when facing water), more so near the rock break walls.

Tipping is appreciated and more so if in Colombian pesos. The reason being is that there is counterfeit US$ so it is not widely accepted. However, the bartenders or maids will go see Nathalie to make change into larger bills or if you are looking for small change, they would be happy to provide you with small bills. Do make sure US$ bills are in good shape as I did witness the front desk not accepting a bill because it had a little tear in it.

I would not hesitate to recommend this destination or resort to a couple or family. The beautiful hot weather and no rain was a plus for us. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

Room Tip: email the resort and ask for building #2, upper floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Powlz
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

When I booked the all inclusive I had my doubts about...how all inclusive would be, and was just great, the bedrooms are big, a spacious bathroom with good shower, we got a nice view of the ocean (we paid for normal bedroom). the staff is so kind and useful, they pick u up at the airport, and on the day of ur return they take u to the airport.
The check ot is not as slow as some comments say, its just well organized, u just need to sit down and wait for ur name o be called, drinking a cold juice...or do u prefer wait standing up on a line??
the beach is beautiful, the pools are awesome!, they have about 4 bars where u can have snacks and drinks during the day, for meals u good to any of the restaurants...was just great for me and my husband///he is a bit fussy and let me tell u...he was impressed!
the only thing is...no internet inclusive..about 5 dollars per hour , u pay at the reception desk, easy
The staff in the restaurants, bars, reception desk, room service are so nice..and the activities staff are so talented!!!

Room Tip: Dont worry abut the room...all the room have a great view...the resort is big, so u might walk a bit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Got back from the Decameron Baru in early Jan 2014. Two words...Spectacular Vacation. Let me give you the highlights...
1) the trip down was no problems. I was scared about the bus ride as I read many complaining about a rough ride. Don't believe hem. Yes there are some rough parts but not the hell that one people have described. In fact by March it will get even easier when the bridge is completed.
2) the rooms are amazingly huge. Very impressed.
3) the resort overall was spectacular. Lush gardens with great pools and a above average beach.
4) the food was good. It was all with a Colombian slant but what I expect. We are in Colombia after all
5) the bar was more than good. Just have to have some patience people. The staff will get to you just not immediately as you are demanding.
5) the staff were very nice and helpful. Sure some had their off days but what do you expect at any resort.

Very rarely do we have a vacation where at the end we are not looking forward to hoping home. This was the exception. I would have stayed another week if I could have. Thanks to Natalie, Pedro Blanco and to everyone else who made this a vacation for the ages.

PS to all my fellow Canadians who I heard complaining on the way back. Just remember where you are visiting. The food will be Colombian, the people are not your slaves and will help you as much as they can. Also yes at times the resorts will be loud but at 2 or 3 pm is that a huge issue really?

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Tony M
Ayr, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just back yesterday from our trip to the Royal Decameron Baru Beach and must say it was a great week!

I had been looking at this resort for the past 4 years when construction was completed and we finally made it down to enjoy the resort.

Booked with Noli tours and flew with Canjet.

Canjet service was perfect from Toronto. Clean plane with an amazing crew going down on the 9th as well as the return on the 16th. Wish the pilot would advice what islands we were flying over as on the 9th the skies were clear which made for an enjoyable flight. Meals with beverage served and tasty to boot.

Airport clearance fast and efficient. Ensure you fill out one form per person for Customers. On the plane advised one per family but not correct.

Outside the airport Noli Rep ( Natalie ) met us and got everyone on the buses for their applicable hotel.....she is a star and pleasure to talk with. She is a great service for Noli's Customers!

Now the bus ride is about two hours pending the river crossing and is very enjoyable, comfortable ride. For those complaining about it....really! You would pay 100.00 for a city tour and not whine and see the same things. I look at it as a free tour. Those complaining of a bumpy store road ride.....really! its 3 miles at most on stone road the rest is paved. The canal crossing is cool and takes less than 5 min to cross but you may need to wait as it is busy. Washrooms are available there but you need to pay a dollar so I would suggest washrooms at the airport and no beer for the bus until you get to the crossing....lol and then purchase a few. From the crossing to the hotel is about 20 min.

Check in is started on the bus very well organized. You finish at the resort. Luggage is taken to your room for you. Our room was ocean view in building 6 which IMHO is the perfect location at the peaceful pool and a 3 min walk to the buffet and 3 a la carte. Room was very clean with a king bed ( wrote in advance to RDB ). It had a fridge as did our friends room. Room is just shy of 400 sq feet, large shower and washroom area. Electric plugs are same as Canada. It also had a trundle bed, 2 chairs and a table. Two chairs and table on the balcony as well. Purchased the safe lock for 21.00 usd. In review of the location block 1, 2, and 3 are near the activity pool and very loud. Block 4,5 and 10 near the night show area and load till 10:30pm but peaceful all day. Block 7, 8, and 9 great but limited ocean view. All blocks are only a 3-5 minute walk to all areas of the resort ( it's not really that big ).

Beach is clean and very safe. Bar and food service available. Lots of chairs but I would suggest be there before 9am or you will be in the sun all day and it is hot and sunny! I would suggest be at the nautical centre right at 9am to cross over to Playa puntilla as this beach has wonderful chairs, food and beverage, and away from the loud music and activities that are on the regular beach.

Food is.....well...ok. If you are a foodie then not the place for you. We found the Asian and Italy al a carte good. the seafood we walked away as very disappointing and meals with little taste and believe it or not tough to cut and chew...its fish, how you screw up cooking fish is beyond me. Buffet was good with always something to eat. Turkey and beef were tender, veggies good. pasta, good, desserts a little tasteless. Breakfast was good with eggs and meats ( secret....ask for bacon where they cook the eggs or you will never see bacon ), pancakes, fresh fruit etc.

Bar service was good, but products were low to mid range. When I looked at the rum they used it was 14.5% no wonder I could drink all day and not catch a buzz...lol. Wine was poor at best.

Some reviews note of the poor service at the front desk and I will disagree huge here. These were lovely, helpful people. Always a smile and try to assist. Now there might be a language issue on occasion but they will get a co-worker to assist them. Try to learn a few Spanish words and phrases. It goes a long way. In fact the staff in the buffet would pronounce in Spanish what I was asking in English and we had fun learning the names of foods and other topics of the day.

Money....exchange at the hotel was 1450 to 1 Canadian, 1750 to 1 USD ( not the best rate ) and when you need to pay for the safe, internet ( works great ) they transfer to peso and give peso change. If you pay the correct amount it would be 6.00 USD for one hour on the net. 21.00 USD for the safe. When I was in the walled city in town the Cambrio was doing 1950 to one USD...great rate.

Tours are expensive and I found just putting it on my visa was the best rate.

Grounds are impeccable with lots to see as you walk about. Pools are fantastic freshwater pools that are cleaned daily. Hours a little weird ( 10-6 ) but we still were swimming at 7....ok floating as its too darn hot to swim!

Overall a great trip, wonder Columbian people. Natalie hands down the best Noli Rep I have met, Clean, very safe hotel.

Airport in Cartenga is very expensive so make a few sandwiches in the morning at the hotel and take with you. A ham sandwhich and water was 13.00 USD at the airport. Not much to do once you clear customs I suggest get your tickets, get rid of you luggage and go outside for an hour or so before clearing customs to come home.

Go and enjoy.....and did I note sunny and hot everyday we were there.

Feel free to email questions if you have them.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Block 6 third floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank sebring98
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having arrived home on Jan 2nd and having spent a beautiful 2 weeks (Dec 19th thru to Jan 2nd 2014, via Canjet/Toronto/Nolitours), I/We are now reflecting on our vacation/trip. My husband & I discussed our vacation last night and have totally decided all in all what a wonderful holiday it was. This resort is beautiful, along with the fact there are options you can get to visit the "Old Walled City"(a must see) via a shuttle bus thru the Decameron for $21.00 US. Mind you, you have to book pretty well right away at the R.D. front desk as there is only certain days and buses that run. Leave at 8:30am and then picked up @ 4:30pm for the drive back(1.5hrs each way). Other than that there is a Nolitours option, with guided tour for $183.00 US for a full day. Natalie is your tour Rep, she is quite friendly and personable, and helped with my husband booking a 2 stop snorkel dive to the Rosario Islands for $61.00 US., approx. leaving at 9am arriving back a 1pm. He had a wonderful time snorkeling! Was worth every penny.
Again I must state this resort is absolutely beautiful, the grounds exquisite. There is a ferry ride over to the islands, and anyone that has done research will know this. The ferry ride is like going back in time(just a 5min ferry ride, but the wait to get on the ferry is dependent on the time of day). Still a very cool experience as you get to see the villages that a lot of the hired R.D. help call home. Beautiful, friendly people, a smile and a wee bit of Spanish goes a long way. But as of next season the bridge is suppose to be finished which will make the trip to Isla Baru so much more accessible, could be a good thing but I suspect much more tourism. So happy we have seen this area 2 times and love that it was still raw in nature & tourism. This was our second time back because we loved it so much.
I suggest if you have kids you would like Bldg #3, if you DON'T then Bldg #2 ,4 & 7 are brilliant. This sprawling resort sits atop a Cliffside so the views are spectacular. Be sure to arise at 5:30am to see the Sunrise, very cool! The sunsets are beautiful too, but you must go onto their upper decks to see, lots of loungers are available. Regarding Loungers there are plenty, more than enough, you really don't have to worry about "saving a lounger" unless you particular with a certain area etc.
The weather is just wonderful this time of year, our 2 weeks consisted of not a cloud in the sky, 29C-31C everyday with a slight ocean breeze, no bugs, no humidity. Crazy good! You can pretty well count on Great weather from Dec to March. Especially if you live in Ontario & or Quebec it will certainly not disappoint. The ocean is warm and refreshing, the pools are clean and great temps.
We really enjoyed the Asian restaurant, it was our Fav. But I would suggest trying all 3 (Italian, Seafood & Asian), just cause you can. The buffet served us well, always fish, chicken, pasta & a meat, and the wonderful sweet breads and desserts, you will never ever go hungry. The omelets in the morning were super, plus all the fruit. A great way to start your day.
Playa Puntilla was our go to place most days as we are Ocean lovers. Plus a walk to Playa Blanca is a must, so beautiful this stretch of beach, and interesting. Lots of coral & driftwood etc, a beautiful walk (about 1hr there, 1hr back) .
I want to send out Kudos to Sammy, Jose, Cindy and Freza what wonderful servers, and bartenders they are. Always a welcoming smile, so ready to chat with you, and all live in the villages nearby.
Best coffee is served in the Main Lobby Bar, they have a Capp/Espresso machine, and of course the coffee bean culture in Colombia is fantastic. We would have breakkie in the Morn, then head up to the Lobby Bar for our morning coffee, overlooking the Caribbean Sea, could not get any better.
Regarding our rooms, our maid, hot water, towels ,linens etc. and limited toiletries were provided daily, no complaints. The only other thing we did was leave a Spanish note requesting 2 bottles of water everyday in our room, which was supplied to us no problem, a small fridge is also in your room. We did tip our maid $4,000 Colombian pesos everyday,(equals roughly $2.20 per day) along with our bartenders and servers we saw too as well. It is just our way, brought Canada pins, and Canada keychains(dollar store merchandise) & one Sippy cup(gave the Sippy cup to one of the gardeners, he was over the moon) for gifts.
I recommend bringing your own thermo cups (sippy cups) as you are preventing environmental waste. Plus keeps your drink cool too. Just a better way to enjoy your beverage thru out the day.
US dollars are accepted in the resort, but in the "Walled City" it is hit & miss, but Visa is accepted everywhere. There is NO ATM at the resort! We deal with Scotia Bank, and 2 weeks prior to us leaving we bought a certain amount in Colombian pesos in small currency, so we pretty well dealt with any shopping, tipping, etc. in their currency. Really worked well for us.
The front lobby will change larger bills Colombian pesos into smaller ones too. No problem.
As for vendors and sellers, there is no one allowed on the main resort, but if you go to Playa Puntilla which is another extension of the resort (our Fav Place), there are a few stalls, vendors, tout & massage/braid girls that come by, but they are not aggressive. You just have to say No Gracias and they then walk by. In the "Old Walled" City of Cartagena it can be a wee bit aggressive at first, as they see you coming, but after that they are pretty good. Mind you we visited this city on Xmas Eve day this past visit, so they were trying to make a buck for their families. If you are interested in Emeralds, there are tons of jewellery shops that sell them at unbelievable deals, you could never get an emerald in Canada for the great prices they sell them here in this country, also coffee is damn good. Juan Valdez is the "Starbucks" but if you go to the Exito, or Olympica grocery stores you can get great Colombian coffee there along with their great Rum "Ron Medillan" for super cheap prices.
I guess that is it for my review, other than stating I would so happily return here, and hope to do so once again. There are other places of course I want to venture to in this world, but we would not hesitate to return here in a heartbeat! LOVE IT! Salude.

Room Tip: Most rooms via Nolitours are ocean view & or mangrove lagoon views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Playa Scondida
Hotel Playa Scondida
#4 of 4 in Isla Baru
Hotel Playa Manglares Isla Baru

Been to Decameron Baru? Share your experiences!