“Great place to relax”

Decameron Baru
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isla Baru
“Great place to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We was there this year for the first time and we love it I lost my wallet the first day at the beach bar somebody found it and the security give to me the next day the enterteiment people was awesome every night show was great and at the beach sports

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have a wonderful time,people very very nice, it was very relaxing, the room was excellent, all the sorroundings were beatiful and very safe, We were there from Feb 22 to 26 We went with our 15 year old son and He loved it. We are planing to go again next year or maybe sooner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Middletown, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Traveling solo in Columbia and at the Royal Decameron seemed to be a puzzling idea in their culture. While I expected to have limitations due to this I did not expect to be ignored by the female servers at the buffet. Perhaps they were waiting for someone to join me but I frequently had to get up and get my tableware and stop them and request service. The resort I well maintained and the rooms although not overly fancy are clean and the beds are very comfortable. WIFI does not seem to be a term they understand and I had many conversations before I finally had access to it. You cannot have it in your room, only on the main floor and you do have to pay extra for it.

Room Tip: My room was in building 9 so my advise would be to ask for almost anywhere but there. It is about 1...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Eleanor02842
Oshawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Just returned from a week at the Royal Decameron Baru resort from Feb 20 to 27. Was a relaxing week with beautiful surroundings and hot weather. We were in building 7 on 3rd floor had 39 steps just to room one way. Everywhere on resort is lots of steps. there are ramps but they are long way around and are still steep so would be hard pushing a wheel chair. spent most of time on beach lots of chairs and shade. water was nice and clear with lots of fish. by 1 pm beach was almost empty every day We sat to the left of the beach bar a little ways up the beach so was fairly quiet. there was a swampy smell every afternoon but we got used to it. We seen iguana every afternoon which was nice brought bread and threw it for him. Do not try to feed him from hand ( seen someone do it and he was bite)

FOOD was okay we did buffet for breakfast and a few lunches and dinners. Did the snack bar for lunch hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and fish chicken.Burgers were homemade and discovered sweet BBQ sauce is mustard. good variety in buffet for lunch. al la cartes were good we did all three Seafood, Italian, and Asian, Lasagna was good at Italian we liked the Asian best ate there 2 nights. all restaurants serve only beer and wine, If you want other alcohol bring it with you. Also wine was not very good so shop duty free and pick up a variety of your good wine..

ROOMS were okay only there to sleep. bathroom was different had frosted door to cubicle with toilet. this door made loud clicking noise every time you opened and closed it. shower stall nice a big with a clothesline in it for wet things. No fridges in room so you have warm water bottles. We went to front desk second day and asked for fridge. was delivered that afternoon no charge. the room have actual keys for the door they are on a ribbon to wear around neck. we used the safe which you have to pay extra for at front desk. They give you a lock and key for it. We hid key in room . The key for your room has the room number engraved in it so if you loose it whoever finds it can go visit your room if they chose to.
All bars close at 6pm except lobby bar. bring your own coolie mug with you as the glasses are the size of juice cups so four mouthfuls and your empty. Their is a definite language barrier if you speak Spanish you are served first.

We did one excursion and that was to cartegena. We did the boat ride which was offered on Monday so it only took 1/2 hour to arrive in cartegena. we were then split into two groups English and french. the English was great there was 8 of us with the guide.. Our guide Juan was very good He gave us great tips of best places to buy emeralds when asked. I bought them at crafters market at back of stall 22 sales lady spoke English plus Juan was nearby if we needed us. He recommended buying there as price would be better less tax then if we bought at emerald museum. He also directed us for best place to buy coffee. We had lunch at San Pedro restaurant.( very good) but had armed guard at door they made really good pina colodas tasted just like milkshakes.
The bus ride to and from resort was an 1 1/2 each way so lots of sight seeing. once outside of city it became really dirty with garbage everywhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LoriOshawa
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I visited from Feb 13-20 and felt that this was one of the most beautiful resorts that we have been to. Very clean with nice landscaping and amazing views. The food left a bit to be desired and it was way too noisy, but otherwise a really nice place to go.

ROOM – The rooms are unique in that the bathroom is not entirely separated but the sleeping area, which was a bit strange but in no way caused any issues. We were in building 2 on the 3rd floor and had a great view from the large balcony. The decor of the room was also very nice. On the downside, there wasn’t a lot of space for clothing (not that we needed much) and there was only 1 English television channel (not that we spent much time watching tv).

POOLS & GROUNDS – Some of the nicest we have seen! The pools were massive and the water was clean and wonderfully warm. Lots of chairs available too. There is an activities pool and also a quieter one. My only complaint was that they still played music at the quiet pool. It would have been nice if there was at least one quiet spot in the resort. The grounds were also very nice with lots of plants and birds everywhere.

BEACH – It is a man-made beach so far from the nicest around. On the plus side once you get past a few feet of coral bits it is all sand and the water is clear and warm. There are quite a few chairs and a good amount of shade. If you want a much nicer beach head over to Playa Puntilla (via the boat at the water activities center) and walk towards Playa Blanca. Just a few minutes away from the beach club are some pristine and quiet areas where you can be almost by yourself.

FOOD – The food was okay, not great, but we certainly did not go hungry! Every breakfast was at the main buffet and had your usually selection of eggs, pancakes, fruit, etc. For lunch we ate about half at the buffet and the other half at Play Puntilla (burgers, fish, chicken…quite good). The dinner at the buffet was okay but the live music was so loud that we couldn’t even carry on a conversation. We opted for the a-la-cartes (Asian, Italian, seafood) and were quite happy with our meals at each. You can book reservations (3 at a time) in the morning at a desk near the main bar.

OTHER: The snorkeling around the rock areas was great and also over in Playa Blanca. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen so many fish. The ride from the airport to the resort was a long 1.5 hours through some awful areas. It was a terrible way to start & end a vacation. It was so bad that we decided not to visit Cartagena at all as we didn’t want to go through that commute 2 more times.

PROS – The grounds and pools were very nice. With the resort set on a hill there are definitely some great views and beautiful sunsets. .The snorkeling was better than expected. Hot & sunny every day!
CONS – The noise! It was difficult to find anywhere where there wasn’t music being played. For non-Spanish speaking people there was certainly a language barrier. Beach vendors & jet-skis were annoying. The trip from the airport was not pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Courtice, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here from January 23rd to January 30th (Thursday – Thursday) through Nolitours and flew with CanJet out of Toronto. We picked this destination as we wanted to try something outside of Cuba, Mexico and DR. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The best part was the weather. Excellent temperatures every day and no rain!

TRANSFER to the hotel was about 90 minutes. The bridge is so close to completion so come March 2014, travelers will no longer need to take the ferry. This will cut the transfer time to one hour and smoother roadway. I have to say though, the roads were not that rough.

CHECK IN was great. Mind you our flight was nearly empty so we didn’t have a huge volume of people to check in. We were greeted at the airport and given a package which had tags for our luggage with our room numbers already populated on them. Once the bags got onto the bus, we didn’t see them again until we got to our room. We were greeted with a drink and dancers. Upon entering our room we noticed we didn’t have the remotes for the air conditioner or TV so we spoke to the front desk and housekeeping delivered them right away. A few days in we had the battery go in our smoke detector and again, this was dealt with right away. The room was a good size and the bathroom open concept with a glass frosted door to the toilet and a glass frosted door for the shower. The balcony was a nice size with a table and two chairs. A fridge was included, but only water was stocked daily. The only thing I could fault the room for was the joining room door which did not block out any noise from our neighbours. A little annoying to be woken up on the middle of the wee hours as they stagger in and banged things around. The room was very clean. We met Nathalie from Nolitours the next day (Friday) at 9am to review info, trips etc. Nathalie is a delight to deal with.

My husband and I did two excursions:
CITY TOUR BY BOAT – This excursion was offered on Monday. We departed from the resort by boat at 8am and returned by boat around 4:30pm. They combined the English and French speaking vacationers. We travelled by boat to through the Bocachica Canal. Once we got to the bus in the city, we were placed in our groups based on language. Our spots included the San Fernando and San Jose Forts, various villages, The Convent of the Popa monument, Old Shoes monument, San Felipe Castle and strolled through the Downtown Historic center of the City. Not much time was given for shopping (30 minutes), but where we stopped offered a lot of shops with various items. Lunch was included in this tour at a wonderful upscale restaurant. They offered three choices, chicken, beef or fish. The cost for this tour was $330,000 pesos per person plus the cost of ‘boat fee’ of $US8.

CULTURE/CRAFT TOUR – This excursion was offered on Wednesday. We departed from the resort by bus at 8am and although scheduled to be returning by 6pm, we did not arrive until 7:30pm. Our first stop was a little over an hour at the Guillermo Pineres Botanical Garden. Through the path we saw lots of Colombian Caribbean wildflowers, fruit trees, plants and forestry. We also saw a family of monkeys. (Bring bananas if you want to get up close and personal with them.) There were also two colourful parrots. We travelled through various villages, had lunch at a local restaurant (pork, chicken and fish as options), and stopped at the Ethnic Archaelogical Museum where we saw a folklore dance and visited a lady who makes wonderful hammocks (she demonstrated) and bags. I would say purchasing bags from this lady was probably the best place to buy. We did visit a school which was in session. This may not be included all the time as school may not be in session when you visit. However, one couple brought things for the teacher and the students were very excited. We stopped at the market in San Jacinto. We loved browsing through shop to shop. A great amount of variety here and everything was well priced. Everything was all handmade and beautiful souvenirs to bring back to Canada. We had about 40 minutes to shop here. For this tour, please ensure that you have Colombian pesos on you. Some tried to get money from the bank machine and it did not work for many, myself included (I did inform my bank and tried VISA too). The vendors prefer Colombian pesos. The cost for this tour was $165,000 pesos.

INTERNET – options available – 1 hour, 2 hours or 12 hours. I found the wifi for our ipod did not work in our room and was strongest, especially for face timing, in the lobby. Sometimes I could get it around the pool. 1 hours cost $10,000 pesos, 2 hours cost $15,000 pesos. Remember to logout correctly to avoid wasting minutes. Computers are available at the resort to use.

SAFETY – I felt completely safe at this resort and off on day trips. All tour guides are well versed in English and are extremely helpful and friendly. When we walked over to the Playa Blanca beach, we were approached by vendors, but a simple no gracias was accepted.

FOOD – we were satisfied with the food offered. Your breakfast included your typical egg station. You order your omelet then move to the next line for pick up. Here’s a hint about bacon – they keep it behind the counter. You can ask for it at the egg or pancake station. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Lunch was offered at the buffet restaurant or you can order items from the beach restaurant and it is served to you at your table. Items available at the beach restaurant include, burgers, fries, fish. We did the Italian Restaurant twice and the Seafood restaurant once. If you wanted and if available, you could book an a la carte every night. There was no limit. Booking a la cartes were available in the main lobby behind the front desk starting at 7:30am.

BEACH/POOLS – The main pool was very busy, but the other two were quiet. The beach was well spaced out and really no need to get up at the crack of dawn to claim a chair. The resort seemed full and there were always chairs available.

GYM – excellent equipment, opened 7am – 7pm

DRESS CODE: There really wasn’t one. Only rule was not to wear your wet bathing suit. Although I brought three dresses, I ‘dressed down’ mainly for comfort. Hubby loved that he could wear his shorts and flip flops to dinner. He did wear a collared shirt.

MISC: On the Sunday we took the barge over (a 10 second ride) to the RD beach/bar and from there walked 45 minutes each way to Playa Blanca beach. It was very busy given a Sunday and was a nice way to explore and see the locals with their families. We did have to sign out which I think was for our protection.

The Spa offers 20% off to Nolitour travelers. I enjoyed a one hour massage for $US51.

Snorkeling is not bad – no extreme coral reefs, but some scattered. Quite a few fish can be found on the left side of the beach (when facing water), more so near the rock break walls.

Tipping is appreciated and more so if in Colombian pesos. The reason being is that there is counterfeit US$ so it is not widely accepted. However, the bartenders or maids will go see Nathalie to make change into larger bills or if you are looking for small change, they would be happy to provide you with small bills. Do make sure US$ bills are in good shape as I did witness the front desk not accepting a bill because it had a little tear in it.

I would not hesitate to recommend this destination or resort to a couple or family. The beautiful hot weather and no rain was a plus for us. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

Room Tip: email the resort and ask for building #2, upper floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Powlz
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

When I booked the all inclusive I had my doubts about...how all inclusive would be, and was just great, the bedrooms are big, a spacious bathroom with good shower, we got a nice view of the ocean (we paid for normal bedroom). the staff is so kind and useful, they pick u up at the airport, and on the day of ur return they take u to the airport.
The check ot is not as slow as some comments say, its just well organized, u just need to sit down and wait for ur name o be called, drinking a cold juice...or do u prefer wait standing up on a line??
the beach is beautiful, the pools are awesome!, they have about 4 bars where u can have snacks and drinks during the day, for meals u good to any of the restaurants...was just great for me and my husband///he is a bit fussy and let me tell u...he was impressed!
the only thing is...no internet inclusive..about 5 dollars per hour , u pay at the reception desk, easy
The staff in the restaurants, bars, reception desk, room service are so nice..and the activities staff are so talented!!!

Room Tip: Dont worry abut the room...all the room have a great view...the resort is big, so u might walk a bit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Playa Scondida
Hotel Playa Scondida
#4 of 4 in Isla Baru
Hotel Playa Manglares Isla Baru

Been to Decameron Baru? Share your experiences!