“A Little Piece of Paradise”
Review of Decameron Baru

Decameron Baru
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Isla Baru
Arlington, Virginia
“A Little Piece of Paradise”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I were visiting Colombia on vacation and decided to end our trip with a short visit to Isla Baru and the Royal Decameron. it is a sprawling all-inclusive resort on the Island and we were pleasantly surprised to find that it truly was a beautiful place and lived up to what we had read previously. There are three large pools ( one very quiet one), tennis, a spa water sports, beautiful beach and very nice accommodations. I will say that the bathroom/shower is only separated from the bedroom with a long wall--no separate door, but that was ok since it was only us in the room. we asked for a room in Block 2 which is near the pool and buffet hut but not too close as to hear a lot of noise. we also asked for the second floor as there are a lot of stairs and much walking. The food at the buffet was plentiful and good. I thought some of the dinners could have been a bit better. We visited two of the restaurants, the seafood one and the Asian one and were a bit disappointed. The spa was lovely and the massages were great. All in all a good vacation experience, but if you do not have a decent command of the Spanish language, you will be lost. I am fluent, but my husband could not be understood at all. moat of the other tourists were from other countries in South America and we enjoyed meeting new people.I would recommend this resort, but it would be a better experience if you knew Spanish.

Room Tip: Ask for Block 2 or 3 and if you don't want to climb a lot of stairs . ask for 1st or 2nd floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Donna A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Southwestern Colorado
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We choose the Royal Decameron Baru for a week's holiday and were thrilled with the experience! The hotel was very well managed - very friendly and efficient staff, clean facilities, and attention to every detail. The resort was beautiful - large pools, Caribbean Sea, spacious and clean rooms, lovely colors and layout throughout the resort... The food was excellent - from the main dining area with an incredible assortment of buffet items, to the 3 additional dinner options and the other 2 lunch options. Lots of water toys were included at no charge - Hobie Cats, kayaks, paddle boats... There were only 2 additional charges - $3 a day for the room safe and $25 for 12 hours of wi-fi service. We just loved the experience - felt completely safe at all times, and are recommending this to all our friends.

Room Tip: I believe every room is configured for a water view - but the better views would be on the 2nd or 3r...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank averylin
Straffordville
Reviewed 30 March 2014

march 20-27 2014 The resort is exactly as most reviews state.very comfortable ,very safe and relaxing.first time to this decameron ,but have been to others and quality is the same as others . buffet is great with choice of beef,chicken ,pork and fish at every meal ,with a specialty at grill every meal.we even had buffalo wings twice in this week.Pools are spotless ,with background music during the day.lots of seating around pools ,beach was busier than pools ,so there was limited ideal seating during mid day.we went to beach for lunch one day (hamburg ,hotdogs ,catch of day etc.),but went to buffet for lunch the rest of the week as we thought it was a lot better. One earlier review said only one television channel in English, but if you turn on the SAP in the tv menu at least 20 of the 40 channels are in English .Beautiful rooms ,asked for a refrigerator and was delivered within 15 minutes.We are English only and had no problem communicating .All the servers had there own areas and a few tips here and there seemed to be the best translator as we they knew who you were and what you wanted at each meal (type of coffee ,exact drinks etc). Coffee is available by 6 am at buffet restaurant. WiFi is available throughout resort (approx. $23 for 12 hrs). Great resort ,Great price, High quality food and drinks.. This resort has great staff and as in any other resort ,a tip here and there and you are remembered so it is the little extras that make a difference between a good holiday and an average holiday. I would return to this and any Decameron resort at any time

Room Tip: most rooms have a good view but second and third stories are the best ,but you are not in room that...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dar866horse
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I visited Decameron Baru hotel in March 2014 and stay there for 4 days to attend the conference that was held at the hotel facilities. As I had to work most of the day, I was only able to enjoy hotel facilities in the evening. What was my disappointment to find out that the pool is closed at 6:30 pm, the gym is closed at 7 pm and you can't go to the beach either.
To book a seat at the restaurant, you have to go personally to the special desk at 7 am and the reservation can't be done by phone. The hotel is suppose to be all inclusive, although if you try to ask for the additional entrance, you will be rejected as you are allowed only for one entrance and one main course. The Italian restaurant was so-so, the fish restaurant was OK.
The trip back to the airport was just horrible, the bus had problem with air-conditioning and we had to wait an hour just to pass a 200m canal on the ferry. (There is new bridge over this canal nearby, although local communities do not allow to use it before government agrees to reimburse them....). The total trip to the airport took 2 hours and I got there completely exhausted.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at this resort on the 22nd of March and I have to say that we just loved it. It is the first time we have travelled to anywhere in South America, but the price was right, and we were sure it would be hot and sunny! We were not disappointed, never even saw a cloud in a whole week and due to the ocean breeze, which was usually pretty strong in the afternoons, you never were uncomfortable with the heat.

Our flight was great, arrived ahead of schedule....I have to give a heads up to AirTransat here. We have travelled many times with them and never have had a problem, but this was by far the most comfortable and spacious aircraft we have ever flown on with with and the vacation began right there!

Transfer at the airport was very quick and before you knew it we were on our comfortable coach bus for the hour and a half ride to the resort. I know a lot of people are not comfortable with driving through the poor areas , etc., however, for us, this is the reality of the country you are visiting and we like to hear what all the landmarks are and some history of the area from the tour operator on your way to the resort. In some parts, the roads were pretty bumpy but nothing extreme for sure. The bus did have to go on this little ferry/barge to cross a small canal to the island where the resort is, but the bridge was opening the day after we left to return home, so that will eliminate the barge an about a half an hour of transfer time. When you put your luggage onto the bus you are going on, it is tagged right there in front of you and you are given half of the ticket and that is the last time you see your luggage until it is either in your room when you check in, or brought to you shortly after, which it was in our case.

They give you a map at the front desk and explain to you, as best they can in English, how to get to your building, but we either didn't pay close enough attention or just took a wrong turn, but it was dark and it is a very large property and we had to backtrack a little and finally asked another guest we saw, where our building was.

The grounds of this resort are beautiful, but very large and many stairs, ramps, walking, climbing. We loved it, but it is not ideal if you have issues with that!

The room was very large, extremely clean, all week long, immaculate. Bathroom is different, but a huge counter space. The lighting in the bathroom was a real annoyance to me, as I have come across in some other hotels as well. Romantic lighting, or energy saving pot lights, in a bathroom, are not my favorite thing! I need to be able to see to put on mascara in the evening!! With the way the three quarter wall separates the sleeping area from the bathroom, all the natural light is blocked out of the bathroom. I must say, while not practical, it is a very flattering light!

The shower is amazing, huge, very large shower head with super water pressure and hot water!!

There were only 4 hangers in our cupboard, for two of us (I always bring extra anyway), no iron or ironing board either, but wasn't really needed as I had wrinkle release spray. Maybe, like the fridge, you could have asked for one, I don't know. About the fridge, there wasn't one in our room and I have medication that needed to be in the fridge, so we asked at the desk and within an hour, they brought one and plugged it in, I was told that not every room has a fridge, but you can ask for one and if they have one available they will bring it. That to me needs to be changed, there should be a small fridge in every room, without having to ask, just to cool your water if nothing else. By the way, unlike resorts in the Caribbean, your fridge, if you have one, is not stocked with soft drinks, beer , or anything else. They do leave you two bottles of water every day but if you didn't have the fridge, they would be warm on the counter. We had a good size balcony, a small table and two chairs, however not much of a view, so we didn't spend any time out there.

Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful, usually enough English to be able to be understood and we had no problems at all. My Spanish classes definitely came in handy. It is the first time we have travelled in the winter (we go every winter, for the past 20 years), where the majority of the guests were all Spanish, first language, guests....I loved it. Except for the flight from Montreal and one from Toronto, vacationers were from Argentina, Peru, Venezuela, Brazil and of course other parts of Colombia, and we really enjoyed the latino flavor to the whole vacation!

The pools are all very clean and well kept, never any shortage of chairs or shade around them. The beach was not so easy to find shade, unless you went very early in the morning. The food at the buffet was very well prepared and if you are not a picky eater ( I am), there is not always the standard pizza and pasta to fall back on but there was always salads and breads and many delicious desserts. I blame only myself for my pickiness, it was in no way the food itself, my husband ate everything and he was very happy with it all. I definitely did not starve and in no way is a reflection on the quality of the food, just my own particular tastes.

We loved walking around this resort, beautiful sunsets, and the entertainment every night was very classy! No Michael Jackson or Grease!! Every night, for at least an hour, they have dancing going on, the shows themselves are very entertaining beautiful costumes and very talented animation team!

With only a week, we took only one excursion, but it was pretty much all day. We took the boat at the lagoon beside the beach to go to Cartagena for the day. It was about a 35 minute boat ride and then transferred to a comfortable coach bus and then off to see the sites. We went to the Fort, inside the walled city, shops, the Emerald Museum, an excellent restaurant for lunch. Our tour guide, Alvaro, was a wealth of information, helped out with translation where needed and gave us time to shop and see everything. It was pricey, we booked it at the hotel with our NoliTours rep, 330,000 pesos per person (roughly 212.00 Canadian), but it really was worth being able to see so much in one outing, a fantastic mean, and the boat ride coming back turned out to be an amusement ride in itself! It was a great day.

If you are planning on travelling to this part of the world, we would highly recommend the resort, however, a word of caution would be, do not expect the same amenities as you may be used to in the Dominican Republic. As mentioned, the fridge and daily stocking of one, not to be taken for granted. There are no facecloths provided, nor is there Kleenex, very small things, easy to bring your own if you are aware of the need.

The bed was comfortable, the service excellent and friendly and every effort made to communicate . A pocket English/Spanish dictionary could be very useful but not necessary. I would love to one day return to this resort and if anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Room Tip: We were in Building 8, which was not too far from the main lobby area and buffet. If I could have p...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank pawpals16
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We was there this year for the first time and we love it I lost my wallet the first day at the beach bar somebody found it and the security give to me the next day the enterteiment people was awesome every night show was great and at the beach sports

• Stayed March 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have a wonderful time,people very very nice, it was very relaxing, the room was excellent, all the sorroundings were beatiful and very safe, We were there from Feb 22 to 26 We went with our 15 year old son and He loved it. We are planing to go again next year or maybe sooner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Agua Azul Beach Resort
Agua Azul Beach Resort
#2 of 11 in Isla Baru
Hotel Playa Manglares Isla Baru

Been to Decameron Baru? Share your experiences!