We arrived at OGH with no reservation after leaving Kings Well (see review) looking for 10 nights' accommodation. Dominique was very friendly and efficient and whisked us off to look at a couple of rooms. We were very impressed with the ocean view suite and although a bit of a budget buster decided to take it. The 4 room suite is very spacious with colonial style furnishings, comfy sofa and chairs in the sitting room and a very comfortable huge sleigh bed in the airy bedroom. There is separate very effective aircon in both main rooms that open onto a balcony which could only be nearer the sea if it was in it! The only let down is the bathroom which is a bit jaded and occasionally had a bad drain smell. The management did all they could to get rid of this and they are aware of the problem which they know only a refit will eliminate. Apparantly this will be done in the near future but if this bothers you the room is 301 - you could ask if the work has been done yet.
Breakfast (good choice, all a la carte and prepared to order) and drinks are taken on the very pleasant sea side terrace and I will long remember my massive Myers's rum sundowners there!
It is a pity that the restaurant is non functional at present as the room in the original gin house has a great atmosphere. It is closed because it was not making a profit which is probably as good a reason as any and the excellent Blue Bead restaurant is only 5 minutes walk away.
The real stars of the show are Dominique and Wouter, the joint general managers. They are a really friendly, smiley, outgoing young couple who just cant do enough for you and while very busy are always prepared to sit and chat. Their laid back appearance belies some serious efficiency and their attitude is wonderful especially when they seem to work 24/7. I hope they are valued by the owner of OGH and we are sure they have a great future in the hotel industry.
We had a great stay at OGH and on Statia and were very sorry to leave especially considering the 28 degree temperature difference between there and home! We would recommend this hotel in a flash and if we ever return we would not consider staying anywhere else- a great place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautifully located on Orange Bay, Lower Town, Oranjestad and a hike away from the Quill Volcano, the highest point on Statia with panoramic views over the entire island and neighboring islands, the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. The intimate hotel convinces with its charming, elegant and cozy ambiance, where guests can find peace and pure relaxation without any unnecessary additions. The restaurant offers a diversified gastronomic experience accompanied by stunning ocean views. The Old Gin House is conveniently located on Orange Bay, right next to Scubaqua Dive Center in a quiet and historical area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Old Gin House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Gin House Hotel St. Eustatius
- The Old Gin Hotel
- The Old Gin House St. Eustatius, Caribbean