“Terrible”

Costa Baja Condo Hotel
Costa Baja Condo Hotel
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My family and booked this place for 2 days last weekend. But could not stay more than one night. Pool was empty. Torn drapery, very very dirty. The bathtub had to be the dirtiest part of the room. So many stains, that we ended up wearing flip flops to take showers in it. There were a few rooms around us who decided to throw a party 'til 1 AM, that my husband called the front desk and complained. I have to admit, the staff WAS courteous, but there was little they could do for us just by being "nice". Thats why we had to cut our trip short and not stay there the 2nd night we had already paid for. Do not stay here. Not worth a penny

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TabascoSauce

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We booked at this hotel, a room on the 3rd floor, for 3 nights, while I hopped a bus to L.A. to pick up my car & drove back. We couldn't access the internet from our room most of the time & had to go down to the lobby to do so, which made secure Skype calls impossible. As it was, someone also connected to the hotel's system hacked our computer & we ended up with a "worm". The food was bland, so we ate at the taco stands down the street. Only some of the lights in our room worked, the walls & fixtures were pretty beat up & there were stains on our sheets, so we used our sleeping bags. The fellow on the night desk & the bald, white foreigner - presumably, Andrew Rowland, the Manager - prefer arguing about the internet rather than apologizing. The final insult? We were charged a deposit of US$10 for the room key & t.v. remote control. When we requested the return of our deposit at check-out, the woman desk clerk gave us $100 pesos back, although the exchange rate was approx. 13.6 at the time. a small theft, but typical of the place, from start to finish. I like Ensenada & expect to return in a couple of months, but will never stay at this place again. The management is the real issue here & they need to get someone who can do the job properly.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. If you must stay, get a room on the first floor if you want any internet connection. G...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 11 August 2011

How do I start... When I made my reservation by phone in April, I spoke with the receptionist "vero", I had asked for a Deluxe King Bedroom with a flat screen TV and a marble jacuzzi tub that was on their websites pictures, I figured for the price they charged me that it was great. My fiancee and I made the trip down there from Fullerton, Ca. for a family wedding for the weekend, we got there on thurs 08-04-11, which was one of my cousins birthday. After a long trip, we wanted to get there and rest before going out later that night. To our surprise "vero" wasn't there so another guy helped us, we got the key(not keys) to our room, which was an ordinary key that you can make at any hardware store, it was kind of weird but didn't think of anything, as we opened the door, my eyes got big, my jaw dropped and I was in shock!!!! No king size bed, no jacuzzi tub, no flat screen tv, NOTHING that I had seen on their website, the tv wasn't even working, the cables were cut, the shower was nasty, the sheets were old and dirty, no headboard for the bed, the air conditioner didn't even work. We asked to be moved to the room that I had paid for and to my surprise, they were sold out... They moved us 3 difderent times to 3 different rooms until I was satissfied(which I never was). When we got ready to go out, "vero" was there, so I talked to her and said that she didn't recall our conversation over the phone, I ended up yelling, screaming and going crazy because they acted like if nothing bad had happened, I ended up cancelling my last night there and she said that she couldn't gime me my money back, the hell she was, my fiancee got some sense into her and finally gave me my money back for saturday night, thanks to her, we ended up sleeping in our car, which by the way, was more confortable and clean than their nasty hotel room...By the way, their pool and jacuzzi were cold and dirty just like the rest of the hotel. I seriously hope that nobody stays there... I was even telling people not to stay there as they were walking into the lobby... WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY THERE..........

Room Tip: Dirty sheets, nasty bed.....
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank olvj0508
Reviewed 8 August 2011

ROOM--30% dirty pillows, shower broken, tv with interference
POOL--90%
RESTAURANT AND BAR 90%

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I should have known it was going to be a bad experience when I saw the lobby, but it was late and everything else was booked and the bellman at the Hotel Corona (which gets good reviews) said that it had just been remodeled. Not sure what his definition of "remodeled" was (I did see a few freshly painted walls here and there) but obviously it's different than mine. Room was pretty bad but not terrible (at least not at first) so I just went to sleep since I had a long drive the next morning. When I went to shower the next day, I stepped on the white bath mat and then saw a black footprint on it, which turned out to be my own. I did a quick look and saw that the bottom of both each of my feet was black with dirt (I had picked it up while walking on the carpet). Wow. I was then treated to a cold shower (no hot water). Get me out of here!!

As I shivered in the cold shower, I kept telling myself "enjoy, you're on vacation". Hardly! Not even in desperation would I stay here again. The only positive feature was the wireless internet in the room (free), but I could have accessed that at the Starbucks down the street. And the place doesn't look that bad from the street, but facades can be deceiving. There's a reason this place is at the bottom of the TripAdvisor list of hotels in Ensenada; unless they knock it down and start over, it's likely to stay there. The only good thing about staying here is the distinction that I have finally stayed at hotel at the bottom of the TripAdvisor list.

Room Tip: Go down the street to another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank gallesram
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We actually were there on Feb 13-14 2010; and we stayed at the presidential suite. We loved the suite so much we end up staying there the day/night if u know what I mean!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I found this hotel in Expedia, and I was going to buy it thru it but when I tried, it said it wasn't available, so I called the hotel and kind of got the same fare so I reserved... we were received by a rude guy completely unproperly dress to be in a hotel front desk. The guy was extremely rude (didn't ask the name but it was on Friday August 7th, around 7 PM). I noticed there were a lot of people like waiting to be assisted, maybe they had high occupancy. We were given a regular key with nothing on it, and walked by aisles that resemble a hookers' motel in Tijuana. This place advertises as a Resort or something like that. I can deal with anything, but not unsanitary premises. The room was awful, terrible, the carpet had ugly smuges like oil or blood, but when I accessed the balcony, it was hell, there were like a couple dozens cigarrette butts on the floor, all over, the sliding door had fingerprint smudges ... what the hell?? I couldn't believe, I went immediately to the front desk and the rude guy didn't even talk to me, the only kind person in this hotel was a young short guy, a bell boy, he personally went to our room to clean the balcony, but no the unpleasent and dirty sldiing door, which stayed with those smudges thru all of our stay.

I would had changed hotels but the Vendimia, Wine Festival, was this past weekend, so I thought that I wasn't going to find another hotel, and since I didn't buy it thru Expedia, there was nothing I could do. The bell boy told me there manager was a "gringo" but I couldn't ever meet that gringo... he was never there.

The hotel pool area is OK, but it has 2 jacuzzis that their water is always yellow.

The parking lot is another pain in the butt, it is incredible small for all the Americans with huge SUV's, so it was a nightmare and it didn't have enough spots for all guests so, if you had to leave you may find later that you had to park on the street.

Do yourself a favor and don't ever stay here,

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank SanDiegoFito
wwwCostaBajaHotelcom, Manager at Costa Baja Condo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2010

I am sorry to hear of the unpleasant experience. Beginning in 09 and continuing throughout 2010 new management is implementing changes and improvements in every aspect of the hotel operation since it was transferred from previous ownership and management. The specific front desk agent that was referenced is no longer employed by the hotel and additional process' and training is underway to improve customer satisfaction.
Some areas of the property have already been renovated such as the pool deck, restaurant, bar, and some guest rooms that are now designated as Deluxe. Our Standard Guest Rooms and some common areas are pending renovation and will be completed in 2010. The underground parking garage is small for large SUVs but does provide a level of security that only one other hotel in Ensenada can provide. Pre-reserved parking spaces can be arranged.
Again, I am very concerned that the experiences was unsatisfactory and improvements in the areas mentioned and more are underway to transform the guest experience at our property.
If I can assist further please contact me directly at arowland@costabajahotel.com