“great atmosphere and service”

El Rey Sol Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Ensenada
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Let yourself be seduce by the oldest french restaurant in Mexico in an atmosphere reminiscent of the days of Louis XIV. Delight yourself with our delicious and extensive menu of international cuisine and traditional Mexican dishes, paired with the best local and inter wines. Don't forget to try our famous french pastries.
Los Angeles, California
“great atmosphere and service”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We came for breakfast. We enjoyed the patio, but would sit in the restaurant next time for a better ambience. The restaurant was clean and the service was great. Reasonably priced for the quality of food. You may think you can find similar in the states, but I the selection of entrees were somewhat authentic.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank kewpiemayodoll40
globetrotter60, Owner at El Rey Sol Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your visit to our award-winning restaurant, El Rey Sol. We pride ourselves on our experience of 66 years, we focus on offering quality cuisine following our original recipes. We like to think we are a little piece of beautiful France's heart. We hope to see you back soon in Ensenada, enjoying our extensive menu and wines.

California
“One night great, next night not so much.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I first ate here three nights ago and everything was terrific. The food was excellent particularly the chicken in a sauce with prunes, the decor was nice and the service was fine. I would have given El Rey Sol a five star rating based on that experience. It was so good I decided to return and tonight the service was poor. To begin with there was a large shard of glass under the table. Even though the restaurant was empty it took over 20 minutes for the waiter to take my order and this only happened when I tracked him down. Then it took another 20 minutes for my salad to arrive and again this only happened after I got up from my table to find my waiter. At least the food was good once again. The restaurant is expensive by Ensenada standards but inexpensive by US standards.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank packedandready2go
Mexico City, Mexico
“I dont know about the past... but these days is good, very good!”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Staff is friendly, location is great, street watching is superb, the food is very good and the desserts, hmmm yes, the desserts, those are outstandingly (if that word exists!) good! Anyhow, if you made it to Ensenada, do yourself a favor and do try to eat or at least have dessert here.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SergioLubezky
globetrotter60, Owner at El Rey Sol Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear Sergio, My staff and I thank-you very much for your very positive comments about El Rey Sol, Mexico's oldest French restaurant with 66 years of experience. My mother, know as dona Pepita, was the founder in 1947, left us many great memories, recipies, and a focus on quality that remains until this day. We have received the 5 Star Diamond award given to the top 50 restaurants in Mexico for the past 9 years. We hope to have you back soon in Ensenada, enjoying our great local wine, as well as great food.
New York City, New York
“What a marvelous restaurant!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We very much enjoyed our meal here. The restaurant is inviting with excellent staff. The ambience suggests elegant Mexico with a splash of France. For a special treat, we highly recommend the local (yes, local) red wines.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sally F
Galiano Island, Canada
“Good food, great service, amazing french pastry”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My partner and I usually stay at the Posada El Rey Sol across the street and breakfast at this landmark eatery is included with the room. This means we always enjoy a great breakfast with the best coffee in town. We often stop in the afternoon and grab a couple of gorgeous pastries before they're all sold. Chocolate eclairs with real cream yum! We also like to have a light meal there in the evenings. The daily soup is usually tasty. The salads are fresh and crisp. We always sit outside in the enclosed street patio, because our standard poodle is allowed to slide under the table while we eat. The service here is the friendliest and most pleasing anywhere. The waiters treat us so well! We pass through Ensenada only twice a year and only for a few days, but the long term staff always remember us, and make us feel valued and warmly welcomed. Come for the beatiful building and great food and enjoy the genuinely warm and excellent service. Leave room for a pastry.

• Visited March 2013