“First Street”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$25.50*
and up
Half-Day Acapulco Walking Tour with Fort of San...
Ranked #25 of 67 things to do in Ensenada
More attraction details
Owner description: Main shopping street lined with shops selling everything from straw hats to wood carvings.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The street with all the shops, as well as Terra Peninsular where you see art from the local indigenous people, great food as well as shopping not only from Mexico but also Russia, India, China, Japan- etc.

1  Thank Margit G

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great place to walk around, eat and shop. Prices are are a little high for Mexico which of course I compare with US. Tacos at La Bufadora cost $2.00 while in the states you get them for about a buck. I am not sure if it's the economy or being a tourist spot that their prices are higher. i prefer using pesos than dollars as the locals seems to convert the currency on a lesser exchange rate. It's lobstor season but I'd rather but lobstors here in US rather than over there as the prices are very inflated.
Overall south of the border is not the same and NOT that affordable anymore.

4  Thank citi786
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I returned to Ensenada after an almost 30 year absence and it sure has cleaned up. The streets were spotless and the sidewalks literally gleamed. The sidewalk vendors weren't too pushy. The rose vendor is charming and a hoot, The southern end has some nice higher-end restaurants and stores if you're looking for something less kitchy to buy. I was saddened to see the effect of the economy and the bad press the narco wars have wracked on this charming town. Don't be scared away, we felt very safe and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

10  Thank squirrelmama
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Av. Lopez Mateos is ls also o known as First St., Only a couple blocks from the cruise ship terminal. and perfectly safe . It is never overcrowded with tourists. Parts of First street on the Southern end houses the better quality shops such as Los Castillos for silver and Casa Colonial for Mexican designer clothing and the Blue Shell for fun funky items. Always fun to walk First Street and maybe stop for a coffee at one of the many outside coffee shops. Street vendors usually on every corner, I have never found them pushy or aggressive. On the North end are the not so trendy shops but fun. If only interested in a Margarita, stop at Papas and Beer or Hussongs bar and watch the world go by . Ensenada is a fun place, ,

7  Thank Tillie F
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The shops had some cute stuff, but the incredibly aggressive salesmen and street vendors got to me after a while. I like to haggle, but when the sellers started touching me, pulling my arm, I almost lost my cool. I had gone shopping while my fiancé was enjoying Papas & Beer, but I cut it short once I had grown exhausted from running the gauntlet of pressure.

Overall, some cute stuff, but not worth the hassle.

3  Thank courtneygregg