“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
San Francisco, California
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I just called to check availability. I don't speak spanish, and as soon as I asked if they spoke English, they hung up! The first time I thought it was a mistake. Nope! Two more calls and the exact same treatment!

I assume they MUST have someone on staff who speaks English. The have an English website!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank iparlefranglais
konakai1, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa del Sol, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear iparlefranglais,

First of all, let me apologize for the delay in responding. I recently started with the company and had to make some inquiries regarding this issue. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I'm very sorry we could not meet your needs on the day that you called us. I assure you that all of our front desk staff speaks english, however after checking with the staff I found out that there were a couple of days that one of our desk clerks was out sick and unfortunately the only person that we could get to cover does not speak english, he also doesn't work at the front desk normally. I hope you give us another chance to serve you in the future. If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to email me directly at vrendon@casadelsolmexico.net.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Excellent value. Even my 4 star wife likes it! Quaint, clean, courteous, comfortable. An oasis of calm in a sea of insanity. Chairs outside each room lend to a resort feeling. The Motel aspect apes to me as we are motorcycle tourers and it is nice to be able to park within sight of you room and check on your bike from time to time. Have stayed twice with no issues.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank SteveonSaltspring
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It's difficult to find a good-value hotel in Ensenada. This one does the trick, although I'd say it's more like a motel, not a hotel. Unpretentious but clean, it's conveniently located in the downtown area of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Antoine_K_10
Long Beach CA
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have stayed at this motel for about 30 years now and have always found it pleasant, clean, and quiet. There's a nice pool, a coffee shop, a taco shop, a charming bar, and a hot dog place right on the property. What we like best about the place is that it's walking distance to all the great restaurants and shopping without being in the sometimes noisy center. The staff all speak English and are helpful and knowledgeable. There's a taxi stand directly across the street--quite convenient!

Room Tip: We like the rooms closest to the office (recepcion). They've been redecorated and they're r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elizabethLongBeachCA
Burbank
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My husband and I as well as friends have stayed at this hotel prior to being robbed and no complaints. However, our last stay was horrible. We (my husband, two friends, and I) stayed in older rooms (rooms facing Rey Sol Hotel). We checked in Friday night and went out that night and got back to the room around 3am. We were not drunk or rowdy to cause attention to ourselves, we were being very cautious of our surrounding (so we thought). My husband and I went to our car to get our tiolet trees (our friends went to the room) and I got a bad feeling from the security guard who seemed really suspicious. He followed us from the parking lot (few buildings away from the motel) all the away to the walkway of the stairs to our room without saying a word and looked mean, but I thought, "He doing his job and making sure that we're guests at the motel". He was a different security from the one that was there when we arrived. Went went to sleep shortly afterwards (around 4:00am). I woke up around 7:30am to use the restroom and noticed that my purse was in the sink missing my wallet with 200.00 and camera was also gone (originally next to our bed), and the bathroom window was broken off (real cheap). I woke up our group and we realized someone came in the room and stole our belongs. Our cell phones that were on on dressers were also stolen as well as my friends' wallet with about 150.00 and green card. Looking out the window from the bathroom, there's a closed alleyway which seems like only personnel can access. There was also a ladder right next to the window. When I called the front desk, they said they would call the police. We waited for half an hour and no one showed up so I went downstairs and we were told that the police wouldn't show up because there was no violence involved and we needed to go to the police station. Before going to the police station, the staff and well as insurance agent went to the scene and they said they thought it was an inside job because no one can access the alleyway. I told them about our suspicion regarding the security guard and they said that he was only there for that evening because their usual security guard called in. Therefore, they simply had a random security guard to fill that night. Oh, they have a camera in the walkway, but supposedly it doesn't have the capacity to record...it's only if someone is viewing it live!We were assured that their insurance would cover our cell phones/camera (not the cash) so long as we provided receipts as well as filed a police report. Everything seemed fine, we were simply glad that we didn't wake up and things could have been violent. The manager went with us to file a police report which we knew nothing would be done, but we wanted to have proof of the robbery since our friend also needed to get across the border. We weren't charged for the stay that night and staff was really nice as though they just wanted us to leave in good terms. However, we were so disappointed that after we complied with receipts our belongs/followed-up several times regarding our claim, we were told 3 months later by the insurance agent that they rejected our claim because they have safes at the front desk (not in the rooms) that we could have used to put our valuables. In other words, even while you are in the room, you're expected to go to the front desk to use a safe in case someone burgalizes you while you're sleeping! I also contacted the hotel management and they said they couldn't do anything about the claim and we needed to deal with agent. They didn't care or even suggest that they they'd take precaution for future reference...perhaps put safes in the rooms or make windows more secure, and/or update camera system. I'm thankful that God was with us and that we weren't hurt while being robbed, but I felt violated that the robbers came into our room, stood over us while we were sleeping since my purse was on the night stand next to my bed as well as other belongs. People hear about people being robbed in Mexico, but no one ever expects to be burgarlized while you're in the room. We were given the run around thereafter and it was beyond infuriating especially that we were frequent guests prior to that incident. It was not about getting money for our belongings, but it was principle...that we were fooled. The ironic thing was that we were robbed while we make this trip to donate kid shoes' in the nearby barrios. We didn't let this incident after spending 4 hours at the police station, we went to donate shoes.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
17 Thank zpdgnlz
Milano
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Hello!
Visited casa del sol in Aug, 2008. Got 3 rooms with friends in the pool area, the rooms were very clean and attractive, they had a good mexican taste and were very colorful. Overall the stay was confortable. We did not use the pool (not too big, but it adds to the scenery). The hotel does not have it's own brekfast place so be prepared to walk into a bar (just across the road, anyway!)
good casa del sol

• Liked — The rooms and the location
  • Disliked — No breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Mattia.R
Mexicali, Baja Califtonia
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Well, we arrive at the hotel around 12:00, the room wasn't ready at that time but it was understandable because that weekend was "mexicali en la playa" so all the hotels were full.

At the front desk Emilio was very very nice, we even received courtesy margaritas and coffee in the nice coffee shop of the hotel.

We sit pool side (nice pool, big and clean) to wait our room, 10 minutes later was ready.

The room was fine for the price, 2 queen beds, cable TV, A/C, telephone, hair dryer, and closet. The beds were clean also the carpet, the bathroom is a little small but is OK.

They have wireless in all the hotel areas so you can stay connected for your business or just for fun.

Later we ask the front desk for extra pillows and 10 minutes later there was the gentle staff.

It's a nice place for family or couples, or in my case a couple of friends.

If you stay here don't forget to taste the churros in the main side of the hotel.

One more thing, if the front parking is full, you can park, get your stuff in the room and then a guard in a golf cart will drive you to other secure parking and then take you back to the hotel, that's really nice.

• Liked — Nice pool, gentle staff, tasty churros, private parking
  • Disliked — Nothing..!!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank morillo1