“I wouldn't go back”

and up
Ensenada Shore Excursion: Blow Hole and La Bufadora Tour with Horseback Riding
Ranked #1 of 58 things to do in Ensenada
More attraction details
Owner description: Roughly translated as "the snorter," this underwater cave regularly sucks in sea water and spits it out the cave's top drenching visitors to the site.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“I wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I traveled here late in the evening, which is not the best time to go because all the shops and restaurants around the area were closing, however we pretty much had the blowhole to ourselves. It is a beautiful view, but the blowhole itself was very mild and less than spectacular. My favorite part about the trip there was were we ate at after we left. Leaving the blowhole on the left is a beautiful restaurant called La Bufadora Resturante and they served us despite it being two hours past their closing time. The food was amazing and the serve very friendly. I am sure the blowhole is much more amazing when it is more active, but I would probably not go back to this area.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Visited via Carnival Cruise”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My review is based on my experience traveling here via Carnival Cruise and getting shuttled by trusty tour guides. Instead of opting for one of the cruises' planned excursions, I chose to take the non-affiliated shuttle bus tour to La Bufadora. I don't remember the name of the shuttle company, but they say they cater to the tourists coming off cruise ships everyday. It's a $3/person ride to a stop in town where you decide what trip options you want to take next. I chose just the $15/person trip to La Bufadora w/o the options for horseback riding or zip lining. Who knew that it actually took 40-45 min just to get to the site itself. We had a terrific guide, Ignacio, who explained Ensenada and its history along the ride.

Thankfully there's not another charge to see La Bufadora. Our group walks straight to the sight through the flea market, before doing any shopping or eating. I got there around 11 am on a Wednesday, and it wasn't too crowded. Saw the waves crash up a handful of times--it happens pretty often. You can almost tell when to expect a big crash coming. It's fairly exciting for the first few times. Then, I strolled back towards the parking lot while shopping and trying to buy a straw hat at a bargained price. I also ate cheesy baked clams and some fish tacos, a must for coastal Mexican food.

Could easily spend the day getting here, shopping, eating and then traveling back to make it back on the ship by early afternoon.

P.S. It's $0.50 to use most bathrooms, unless you eat at some of the sit-down restaurants where the bathroom could be free.

1 Thank Halo345
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Crowded”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The blowhole was pretty mild during the time of day we went. Great prices at the market if you can handle the crowds and slightly aggressive sales people. Got some good deals at the pharmacy.

Denison, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“It's okay”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

You park, then walk through one corridor of a trinket market with aggressive vendors....like every tourist trap in Mexico. I did like the restaurants and food vendors...delicious. At the end of it is La Bufadora. You can only see it if you look down over a crowded wall. It's not a big blow hole. The view of the bay is lovely.

Anaheim, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“La Bufadora is impressive”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Come to visit this site during high tide only. Around 7pm is the best time of the day. It is a wonderful site to see. A pride of Mexico.