“Corona Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Houston, Texas
“Corona Hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Amazing location and AWESOME staff..spa amenities and wonderful, clean rooms. Cant beat it!

Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChelseaK2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ensenada
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Friends in Ensenada arranged our hotel booking prior to our arrival (from South Africa). We've arrived at the Corona Hotel during the early hours of Sunday morning. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We got a room on the 3rd floor. The room was very basic, clean and comfortable. Unfortunately we did not enjoy the availability off a coffee machine or a fridge in the room. We did get a complimentary litre of water on a daily basis.

• Liked — Friendly staff, nearby business centre, shops, places to see
  • Disliked — Too expensive - not really value for money, very noisy
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2008

I just stayed 1 night, although I had not booked any reservation I was a walk in I noticed some prices on the board and figured it was not so expensive.
We stayed on the 4th(top) floor and the room was OK at first impression.
The room had a new LCD TV (nice), but a little noisy from the Main Air conditioner on the roof I guess.
The bathtub looks a little used but other than that is OK.
I checked out next day , and quick check out but the rate seems to have increased.
Definitely not a spa like experience.

• Liked — Available rooms and TV
  • Disliked — cleanliness of carpet
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 19 January 2008

My sister, my two kids and I were deposited in the lobby of the Hotel Corona. That is what it says on the outside, by the way. Our car had broken down, and the insurance rep dropped us off, so we could rent a car. We were soaked to the bone, and tired. Since it was late in the afternoon, we decided to stay. They had room- as they should, on the 6th of January. The room was nice, like a better 3 star motel. It was quiet, too and we had a view of the small pool. A perfect room to watch your kids while you stay in the air-conditioned room.

There was a fridge, and coffee maker in the room, room service, and a formal restaurant. Maybe the hotel managers have heeded previous reviews and spiffed up the rooms.

• Liked — A port in the storm
  • Disliked — A tad pricey
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank bluzsky
California
Reviewed 3 June 2007

We stayed at the Corona for a 3 day weekend trip. Good points is that they have their own parking so we felt good leaving our car there while we walked everywhere around town. The service at the front desk was good. They were really helpful and nice. Bad part is that they over charged my credit card! I did not find out until a week after we got home when the charge was posted on my credit card statement. It was not a huge amount but it was still disappointing that they would do that. Also, there was no electricity for at least 6 hours on one of the days we stayed there. The view we had was the street and a little of the marina but that was it. One night we wanted to go to the jacuzzi, it was closed! The pool was very small. If you are going to eat at their restaurant for breakfast, do not eat the bread plate they give out if you don't want to pay $6 for it. We thought it was complimentary and when our bill came, we had to pay for it. Actually, do not eat there at all. Go around town. We found a restaurant that was really really good but I forgot the name of it. We will not be staying at this hotel again. It was way too expensive. Also, do not book online. It is cheaper to just show up and book a room.

• Liked — parking.
  • Disliked — over charging my credit card.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank pandachick
Aloha, Oregon
Reviewed 2 June 2007

I just got back from Ensenada and a short stay at the Corona Hotel, on the marina . First let me say that I only went to Ensenada on a holiday weekend to visit a very special friend, so I had a wondeful time. The hotel was average in every way except for the price - very expensive for a standard chain type lodging, even for a holiday weekend, and the restaurant. - only ate breakfast there and it was excellent - since I have eaten in all kinds of restaurants throughout Mexico, from elegant to restaurants on the way from here to there where you get the food that the people eat, I can say they served a meal that was somewhat out of the ordinary.

My room fronted the street, which is fairly noisy, but tolerable. It also overlooked the marina - I can say that some people would complain about the view, because it wasn't very pretty. I didn't care because the important thing for me was that the room was clean and spacious with hot showers and free bottles of water - a very nice and appreciated touch.

The tourist area is within walking distance and if you walk along the Malacon it is very pleasant.

The one thing that really surprised me is that there really aren't many attractions within the city itself. My friend and I took the local buses to the Bufadora. It cost $4 one way and took about an hour to get there. Going that way involves changing buses, but I imagine the hotel staff would be able to help with that, if one wants some adventure and experience the local culture.

The pool wasn't an issue since I didn't use it, but just for information it is very small , and if one has a room on that side of the building, Iimagine it would be very noisy.

• Liked — It was clean, bed was comfortable and there was hot water
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank cisca
Sothern California
Reviewed 7 May 2007

Our family rented a jr. suite and two rooms for 2 nights at the Corona last weekend. There are 4 stories at this basic 3 star type hotel. The marina -view suite consisted of a bedroom with a king-sized bed attached to a similar sized room with a small fridge, microwave, coffee table, chairs and sofa bed. The sofa bed didn't look comfortable so we were happy no one had to sleep there. The furniture is a mishmash of cheap hotel types but everything worked , the beds were comfy, and it was clean. Thank goodness I read the review mentioning there are no coffeemakers in the rooms, so I brought my big one from home. The extra room served us well for happy hour, a meeting place, etc.
The service was great, everyone very professional and bending over backwards to help us by making reservations at restaurants, calling a large taxi, bringing us ice, etc. We were surprised to see such a great restaurant at the hotel. On Sunday it was crowded with the local after church crowd which gave us confidence to go there for breakfast. We were not dissappointed.
We stayed at the hotel because it was the closest hotel to the Cruiseport Marina, where we were meeting part of our family that was racing down in the Ensenada Yacht Race. We were all happy with our choice because it was near the marina yet a few blocks south of town so as not to be in the midst of the noise. Unfortunately, because every room in the decent hotels are taken during this race weekend, the hotel was not as reasonable as we had hoped, but American hotels would have gouged us too, so we were ok with that.
It still was within walking distance to some of the best restaurants in town -Casamar, El Rey Sol, and the romantic little bar at the Riviera del Pacifico Convention Center across the street. One night we took a taxi to the Embotelladora Vieja, a small candlelit restaurant next to the Santo Thomas Winery on Miramar. It was wonderful. Of course, there was the obligitory visit to Hussong's, and a walk thru the fish market with a stop for some fish tacos. All in all, a fun weekend and a very adequate hotel.
One disturbing note. When we arrived home we had a voice mail alerting us to a possible fraudulant charge on our credit card. It was from the hotel, yet it wasn't the same total that was on the receipt. I immediately called the hotel and they told me they charge the credit card an estimated amount before we are actually charged the final amount so they can verify our credit card is "legit" before we leave, then they cancel this charge after our real total is charged. I found this practice disturbing.

• Liked — service, restaurant
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business