“A gem in Ensenada”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
San Diego
“A gem in Ensenada”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Punta Morro is one of those places that has all the charm and location needed for a great hotel. We found this place online and read some of the reviews. All were very good so we decided to try it. The location is outstanding. The ocean views are amazing. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We had a nice balcony to watch the sunset. The hotel also has an amazing restaurant that is cantilevered over the water. The food is excellent and the desserts are superb. The service is also outstanding. The pool area is not modern but it is sufficient in size and comfortable. This hotel is just large enough to maintain its quaint character. This place is now on our list to return year after year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gene2459

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Flying from Mexico City to TJ (Tijuana Baja California, Mexico) border with California USA. We decided to go and visit the Mexican vineyards and tried out several bottles of red wine. For that reason we managed to get a nice suite in this hotel. Right in front of the ocean nice stay good buffet. If you ever decide to tour around this booming Mexican vineyards. Do stay in this hotel. Modern, nice and fair price.

Room Tip: Definitely in front of the ocean!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank R2ro55
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our parents retired to Ensenada after living in the US for years. We visit often and love to stay at Punta Morro Hotel. Recently, we booked a King room and were upgraded to a suite (for same price). The staff is top notch - the restaurant has the best food and sunset views around at the same time! The Sunday Brunch is delicious and the value can't be beat! The cocktails are amazing too. Often, the strolling musicians can be hired to serenade your dinner party. All said, this is an excellent place to lodge while visiting Ensenada - a quick drive way from the 'town' and marina. And just when you think it can't get any better, the front desk registration desk manager (hotel) has the ability to print you one 'medical--fast lane' pass per accommodation so that you don't need to wait hours at the border when returning to the US. We have many happy memories here and this will always be our destination when we visit Ensenada (when not staying with family). Considering all the negative PR Mexico gets, I have never felt unsafe visiting Ensenada and personally never witnessed or experience a security threat while in the town or at Punta Morro. Mexican people of kind, generous, and humble hosts - we can learn a lot from their hospitality.

Room Tip: I always enjoy a room on the second floor of bldg 1 -- or the first floor with the living room and/o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Petra M
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our son and his wife invited us to spend a week-end in Punta Morro Resort and boy, were my husband and I happy they did that!! They had a two-bedroom one bath suite which also provided a living room, dining room and a nice ample terrace. Each of the bedrooms was master size with king beds and elegantly decorated. That said, I have to mention that I found some hairs -not mine-on one of the pillows. Also on the downside, the hotel provided the room with just a refrigerator, no microwave or coffee maker. Maybe they do that so the guests go to their restaurant, which by the way, is beautiful overlooking the water and the food is excellent. Still I missed having the choice of making coffee at the apartment. The terrace on the other hand was everything and more of what I expected, we all enjoyed it immensely. All in all, a great place to relax, taking pleasure in the magnificent views and the sea breeze. And something else to add very important so my fellow handicapped travelers take into account, all this beauty is on level ground accessible to wheel chair users.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank viamalu
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed at Punta Morro on many occasions over the past years. My most recent visit was over the Thanksgiving weekend, 2013. The hotel seemed very quiet--I think only three or fours rooms were occupied, based on the lights I saw coming from the few rooms. The front desk staff is uniformly pleasant and efficient. The prices are very fair, especially considering the large size of the rooms. The hotel is divided into three sections, with the first section being the oldest. I prefer the second section, for the larger rooms and the dead-on view of the pool and the ocean [watch the cruise ships sailing by to the Ensendada harbor]. There is no elevator, so it is best to stay on the second floor. The ground floor has no privacy from passersby, and why climb to the third floor when the view from the second floor is just as good. The sliding glass door to the balcony in my room would not open---I think another reviewer experienced that, too. We must have stayed i nthe same room. That had never happened to me on any of my prior visits. Another reviewer commented that the built-in sofas were uncomfortable. I agree---the cushions are poorly designed. However, that being said, I enjoy staying at Punta Morro and will continue to do so. I love driving down the long, narrow entry driveway. It gives one the feeling of entering a secret and special place, and in a sense, you are.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank CharlesCorreia
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Such a beautiful place. Older hotel that has been kept up & maintained. The staff is so incredibly helpful. The restaurant is delicious. Beautiful presentation & delicious!! This is the place to stay while in Ensenada!!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Latina53
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed the night. The cheapest room available was a 2 bedroom suite so I paid $337 USD. Upon checking in I was told there was a wedding so there would be loud music. This was never told to me in advance, apparently I was supposed to receive a phone call. The music was very loud and we had to leave the hotel at 6 am the next morning. I have stayed here before and have always enjoyed myself but I was very disappointed with this stay; the noise from the wedding ruined the trip. On the sort of plus side, when my boyfriend took a shower the water was trickling out and there was no hot water. I let the front desk know and it was promptly fixed, which we appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any events happening before you book
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple