“Run down, not the best part of town, ok service”

San Nicolas Hotel and Casino
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The pool was nice and the hotel was clean but very "janky" by this I mean nothing really worked properly including showers and elevators, the staff was not very friendly and for the price, the location was NOT good. I would not stay here again, though I did really like the pool and the breakfast buffet on Sunday was good (though not included in the price).

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any?
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia K
There are newer reviews for San Nicolas Hotel and Casino

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel/casino is easy to get to from bulevar lazaro cardenas (the main road from mx1 south that passes the cruise ship terminal and the big flag). you can see the cruise ship when its in port from the front of the hotel.Area is good. Its safe other hotels and a few restaurants across the street/near by.The hotel has has a casino with sports book in the hotel. The restaurant onsite was a little pricey for breakfast but it was good.There is a bar with tv's/ pool bar to the side of the restaurant. The rooms we had faced the pool. They did a major remodel and they were finishing the hot tubs and the deck to one side of the pool area.Pool water was warm for the pool only bring open 4 days before we got there.The rooms and hallways, are old looking. The carpet in the room is a pinkish color and the chairs too. Dark wood wet bar sink and coffee maker.Small bathroom with hair dyer, shower no tub.The bed was nice, tv had a good amount of english channels with espn.Concete walls so you don't hear the neighbors. Also parking is safe and free but across the street from the hotel. Its a good Baja hotel. Clean! quiet a/c units, good price and things to do onsite. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank iliketacos
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I previously gave this hotel a good review when we visited a year ago. This time, however, things could not have been more different. The main reason we stay at this hotel is the nice pool area and hot tub. We showed up this year only to discover that the entire area was closed and under construction. No warning at all and no discount offered. There was no outdoor space available at all. Usually, we get a nice room with a balcony. The rooms are rather worn and dated, and the hall carpet is awful, but we have ignored this in the past. This time, they had sold out the hotel to some sort of teenage rowing convention, so they dumped us--decades-long guests--into the worst rooms in the house. They tried to stick us into an airless room that opened onto a dark internal corridor traveled by workmen. The sliding glass door onto this dark corridor did not even lock! When I went and refused to take this room, they found one that was marginally better, at least it had light and the door wasn't broken. The entire hotel was overrun with teenagers all weekend. To their credit, they weren't horribly rowdy, but they were teenagers, which means they were sitting in the hallways talking and laughing all hours of the night, making noise. We could not sleep. When I complained to the front desk, they just shrugged. Obviously, they really didn't care. My friend booked us these rooms and he's a regular at the hotel, so I didn't feel like I could make a stink, but otherwise I really would have. And I certainly won't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank marlajfish
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My wife and I tried this hotel after reading a lot of mixed reviews. For the money it's an okay place but then you are in Mexico and not paying 4 or 5 star hotel price either. It's pretty close to the action, a 3 or 4 dollar taxi ride. We preferred walkin and felt pretty safe. The breakfast brunch is awesome, first person is 120 & second person for 95 pesos which comes under 20 bucks. Staff is awesome. My personal advise to my fellow Americans, when you write bad reviews about any hotel, please remember that you are NOT in US.

All the bars & clubs are about 10 short blocks or a 3 to 4 dollars taxi ride. Takes less than five minutes. Casino at the hotel is not bad either. Infact my 20 bucks lasted me for about 2 hours of slot machine play.

Icing on the cake, you get a fast pass for 10 bucks which let's you cross the border within 20 minutes!!!!!!!

I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We requested a room with a balcony. There was hardly any noice around and the hotel seems to be perf...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank citi786
Reviewed 14 May 2013

What a dump.... Seriously, how anyone can rate this place above 2 stars is a joke. Stay away and spend your money elsewhere. It is very old, outdated and a rip off. the pool, their highlight, is Drained and closed! Carpeting is 50 years old and filthy, mold on the ceilings in the bathroom, we had to figure out that if we stand on the interior balcony only then can we get wifi, ice machine on 2nd floor has been out of order for over a week and there is no sign on it directing you to a floor that has a working one. The art looks like an intoxicated 7 year old drew it, it was creepy dank and very disappointing especially at $97(us) per night.....i could go on complaining.... There were even more issues.... What a rip off! Dont waste your precious vacation staying here. Yuk!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, trust me!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosemary K
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is an older famlly-owned hotel on the south tip of the tourist strip of Ensenada. I've been here many times over the years and stayed most recently in May 2012. This is not fancy or deluxe but I enjoy its atmosphere. There's a nice pool with ample deck chairs and a little mini-waterfall. Also a hot tub. A small bar is always convivial and a cozy restaurant with bamboo styling. There is now a casino attached that used to be the disco, unfortunately it stinks so badly of smoke that if you wanted to, you couldn't enjoy it. You can't smell the smoke in the rooms, however. The staff has always been very friendly to me. It's about a three block walk to the main tourist part of Ensenada along Avenida Lopez Mateos. You're walking distance to the waterfront as well, though waterfront in Ensenada means boats and ships, not sand. The rooms are comfortable, good sized and simple. Funky Aztec paintings on the walls give it a little more style than your average chain hotel. There's secure parking. I had an amazing massage while I was there, too. I will be staying here again in May and looking forward to it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2013

What a great place. My friend set this up and I checked it out on line and was a little worried. When we got there, I was even more concerned. It didnt look the best but..... This was one of the best places I've stayed. Mainly because of how real it was. It was a little run down but in a perfect way. Its hard to explain but the atmosphere, pool, food, location was so perfect that I just cant stop talking about it. I dont care much for fancy resorts etc....I like authentic....and this was.
I cant wait to go back.