There appear to be three kinds of hotels in Ensenada. Very, very cheap (and possibly by the hour), mid-level with prices around $100 US and upscale.
This is one of the mid-level places.
The booking.com price was much less than that offered by the hotel itself. When I wanted to extend the stay, I was advised to go back to booking.com and reserve through them or pay the higher price. This made no sense to me, but it worked out.
It doesn't look like much from the outside, but there is off street parking (a plus in Ensenada) and the rooms are quite lovely. Although the walls are cinderblock, the bathrooms are tiled and the artwork is nice.
There was a very small balcony in the back of the room that overlooked a very dumpy parking lot and business. But it's nice if you are a smoker.
There is very little in the way of amenities. The pool doesn't look very inviting and the on-site bar seemed never to be open.
The staff is very friendly and helpful.
If you book directly with the hotel, you do get a welcome drink, a breakfast voucher (unfortunately for a restaurant we found to be terrible) and a pass for the fast lane at the border. That is why it is more expensive, but do you really want/need these things?
This area is at the far end of the tourist district, so is quieter and nice to walk around.
Tripadvisor doesn't list it (yet) but there is a great Italian restaurant just down the street - La Forchetta. Excellent food, live music on some nights (a 4 piece band playing wonderful music).
Overall, no complaints, but nothing special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming colonial boutique hotel is located in the heart of Ensenada. You can walk to more than 20 restaurants and coffee shops along the bazaar like streets lined with art treasures, each one more unique than the next.The intimate and friendly atmosphere will allow you to feel like this is your home away from home. The staff will point you in the right direction for whatever you are seeking.Come and experience our warm & friendly hospitality!Our staff will help make your visit to Ensenada a stay to remember filled with a variety of activities such as wine tours, whale and fishing trips, restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Americas Best Value Inn - Posada El Rey Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Americas Best Value Inn - Posada El Rey Sol Hotel Ensenada
- Americas Best Value Inn Ensenada