“Dated But Livable.”
Review of Posada El Rey Sol

Posada El Rey Sol
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at Posada El Rey twice now on weekend trips and have had mixed feeling about the place. The positives of the motel are the staff which have been very friendly and courteous whenever we've had any interaction with them. The location is incredibly convenient to the downtown area as well as the marina which allows for easy shopping and dining. They also give you a daily breakfast voucher for the French restaurant across the street. You can have a free breakfast(limited menu) or a discount off of menu items. The beds are slightly old but surprisingly comfortable.

Now for the bad. On our first stay the floor of the room was dirty to the point that we both wore flip-flops when walking around. We stay at a wide range of places(high end to lower end) and have rarely had this experience. We had the exact same room on the second stay and the floor was clean on that trip. There is also an odd feeling of insecurity with the back door configuration. The closet is a walk-thru area which leads to a small back patio. The door is secured with a small sliding hasp which can be easily breached. There are security bars on the patio but it still seems a bit insecure.

We have another Baja trip planned for June and will likely stay at Posada again. The good definitely trumps the bad and for the convenience it's worth staying here.

Room Tip: Several of the rooms have sliders next to the entry door. The motel is mostly quite but you should a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Papa_Lou1
globetrotter60, Gerente at Posada El Rey Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Hello,

It is always a pleasure to hear from our customers, and we thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you have had pleasant experiences with us, and appreciate our convenient location.

As for the bad as you say, we did have in the past some trouble with our floors and the way we had been cleaning them. We have since taken measures with our cleaning staff and cleaning products, which is why you saw a difference. Please always let us know any cleaning issue when you are at our hotel as well so we can quickly remedy it.

You mention that you feel insecure because of the small backdoor patio. Please let me assure that in our more than forty years in business we have NEVER had a break-in to any of the rooms. The security bars are very sturdy, we are in a safe area and have a security guard round the clock. However, if you prefer you can ask for a balcony room for your next visit as those do not have the backdoor patios.

Looking forward to seeing you soon,

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Very convinient location with quality service. I can't wait to go back to Ensenada to stay there. Congratulations to your staff!!!!!! they make you feel @ Home. During the Wine events I strongly suggest to make reservaciones with at least 4 months ahead since it is the peak season on town. Look for the official Fiestas de la Vendimia calendar to find good deals on the wineries.

Room Tip: It is good to know that El Rey Sol restaurant is a family owned Restaurant that serves the greatest...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ricardo C
globetrotter60, Gerente at Posada El Rey Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at our hotel in our beautiful city of Ensenada.
We are glad our staff makes you feel at home, that is the experience we wish for our clients.
Like you mentioned LAS FIESTAS DE LA VENDIMIA are an amazing time to get to know Ensenada and the wineries that we have in town.
Hope to see you really soon at our hotel, and our city.

Kind regards

General manager

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I booked this hotel mainly based in TripAdvisor reviews.
It has not been a great experience.
The check-in took ages, the only clerk at peak hour was busy taking calls, closing an endless transaction to rent a conference room and taking care of us.
The room was basic, or less...one of the lights was not working, only one night stand and one light for a queen bed, the carpet has nor been vacummed in years, the thermostat had the dial removed, so you can't adjust the settings, water was scarcely flowing through the fawcets, the only ammenity was a shower cap, enything else you have to pay.
Good points are the location and the restaurant, but I won't come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
globetrotter60, Gerente at Posada El Rey Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hello,

We are very disappointed to hear of your disappointing experience with us. We apologize for such an experience with us, and would like to explain ourselves.
Unfortunately, our reception clerk wa extremely busy as you described. I do not know what day was your check-in, but we normally have two staff members on weekends when it is higher traffic as to avoid experiences like yours. As for one of the lights not working, we wish you had reported this so we could have fixed it or changed your rooms. Housekeeping checks these kinds of issues when they clean the room, and have already informed them of their mishap. The carpets I assure you are vaccumed after each client, and we periodically have a professional service to come deep clean them.
The water problem is unfortunately one happening across the city, because the region has been undergoing a drought, our water has been affected. The ammenities we include in your room are free wifi, water bottles, cooffee, tea, shampoo, soap, conditioner and the shower cap.

As a hotelier, it upsets me that your experience was disappointing, and to have to explain so many mishaps. We truly hope that you will give us another chance to enjoy one of rooms, we are a boutique hotel so each room is different, and that you will enjoy once again our restaurant.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I've stayed here many times over the past few years and I've always been pleased with the cleanliness, service and price of the single bed rooms.

So why am I disappointed? I'm uncertain the amount that we have spent over the years at the hotel, but let's say we eat and drink well at their restaurant and almost never stay anywhere else when in town.

After waiting 4 hours to cross at San Ysidro yesterday, I decided to Google the Medical lane, Sentri and Ready Lane. To my surprise, two of the 10ish establishments in Ensenada which offer the Fast Pass are no other than the Hotel and Restaurant that we regularly patronize, yet, we have never had the service even mentioned to us by hotel or restaurant staff???

So why have we never been offered a Fast Pass? It's unlikely that I will be staying or eating at El Rey again until an explanation is provided.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Jason,

We would like to apologize for such an oversight from our staff in not mentioning the fast pass information. Also, we would like to thank you for your patronage over the years, as we truly do appreciate our loyal customers.
I personally did further research on this matter because I was astonished that you had never heard of this information since our staff has been informed and trained to inform our clients of all of their options. Not only that, but the hotel and restaurant owner is a great promoter of the fast pass lane, knowing what a commodity it is to our clientele.
We buy the fast passes from the government, and because they are not free to us, we do have to include them with certain room rates, and for the restaurant it is included in a $90 minimum bill. I do not know if you have not been informed because of these conditions, but that still does not excuse the misinformation.

I hope that you take our apology and will give us another chance. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please provide me with an email address to do so.

Hoping to see you again soon,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is our second trip to Posada El Rey Sol and it's still a welcoming place. The owner Jean-Loup, and staff are friendly and conscientious. Though the room rates have gone up, it is a great place to stay. The restaurant is fine dining with a friendly staff and Arturo's romantic guitar music with dinner if you like. The location is perfect for getting around town and the area seems very safe...safer in fact than many places in the states. The only negative I noticed was the shower door was worn and needed to be replaced but I realize that will happen soon.
So, would we stay here again? You bet!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brad B

Dear Brad,

As a hotelier, it is exciting to hear about a happy customer. These kind of comments and experiences from our clientes encourage our staff to keep delivering the best service that we can offer.
I am also excited to tell you that we have begun our bathroom renovations, especifically our showers. So hopefully for your next visit you will get to experience these changes.

Hoping to see you soon,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is the only hotel in Ensenada that rooms are clean and very comfortable... Staff is friendly and very resourceful ( Diego, Carlos ) .. safe and secure. Hotel is close to everything in Ensenada.. I highly recommend this to everyone who might be considering a trip to Ensenada.. also included is free breakfast and the fast pass... :)... I have two children and they love the swimming pool..

Room Tip: We have stayed on the second and third floor in the past.... some with the balcony view of the city...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 33Claudia1998
globetrotter60, Gerente at Posada El Rey Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Claudia, thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. We are very happy to hear you had an awesome time with your family, this motivates us to strive for the best.
As you mentioned our staff's priority is to help our clients the best they can. Our motto is
"serve as you want to be served"
Hope to see you soon.
Regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have liked this place because it is dog friendly and right down on the tourist strip, very close to everything. This time we have concerns...first the price is out of control, then...it seems to be falling into disrepair....quite dirty this time..my wife spilled something on the carpet by the bed..being responsible she took a hand towel that was a white one and began to swipe up the spill....when she noticed black was coming off of the carpet..so black that she wanted to show it to the owner , to say why is it so dirty. They really need to clean this place...the first night we were put in a room, with no working heater...wife froze in bed. It got cold that night , couldn't get any heat to come out of the trashed heater. In the morning we went down to tell the same girl, who checked us in the night before...she said she would send someone to fix it. An hour later nobody was coming..so my wife went down again and said , give us another room with a working heater..she was told..I'll send someone up...to fix it. We went for breakfast..we were gone 2 hours and when we got back...nobody had been to see the broken heater. So I went down and demanded another room..told her we were leaving unless she changed our room..dirty looks from girl at front desk...I was in a huff as well..but lest they forget..we were paying over $100.00 a night. Had been many times before here and didn't like the treatment we were getting. So she reluctantly gave me a key to a different room, which we moved immediately to. This was upsetting to us.The whole ordeal...we should not have had to pay for the first awful night. The shower is appalling...moldy...everytime I moved my arm the shower door opened and the water went onto the floor...tiniest shower stall ever. The girl at the front office can speak english...but that's all she could do. We did not like this hotel this time at all. Oh, the parking lot was empty..we thought we were the only people in the whole place. Next door is a hotel..their parking lot was full..double parked, crammed in. We don't know about this place anymore...we will try another establishment when we come back thru Ensenada. Overall it should get a terrible. Price, help, cleanliness...bad. Sorry Jean Luc...looks like you've been sleeping at the wheel here.

Room Tip: Look around Ensenada for a much better hotel than this..there is better value some where...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Will F
globetrotter60, Propietario at Posada El Rey Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I am appalled and embarrased by your comments, as well as very appreciative for taking the time to write. In regard to the price, we have several levels of room prices and most of them include either a bottle of wine, 5 shot can of tequila or an hour of margaritas, as well as an american breakfast for two, and a Fast Lane Pass to return to the US within a half an hour. We believe the value added features, as well as the room and other amenities, such as free WIFI, courtesy coffee, free bottled water and ice, free bath sponges, fresh flowers, etc. are worth the rate. I am sorry you felt you were paying too much, but we need a certain income in order to continue to upgrade our property for you and others. In regard to the dirty carpet, we don't have an excuse and I shall look into our maintance schedule to increase the carpet cleaning times per month. We are in the process of renewing our AC units as some have controls that are confusing to operate even for me. Remodeling our bathrooms is a priority that we are focused on for the spring. We are always improving our hotel, as recognized by your loyalty in the past, as well as our #2 position on Tripadvisor. But as a hotel owner and operator, I would have appreciated your comments to me first, as negative comments on Tripadvisor should only be a last resort, but I respect your right to express your opinions however you wish to do. I would like to have you reconsider our property again on your next visit to Ensenada, as well as an opportunity to personally welcome you back.

Jean Loup Bitterlin