“Had a great time at the hotel and restaurant!”

Best Western El Cid
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We got there not knowing what it was going to be like, after reading so many review we were afraid where to go. We decided to stay here and it turned out to be a great place to stay, it was quiet, and comfortable. We stayed in room #517 San Jeronimo. The staff was nice and helpful. We got a flat tire and one of the maintance person took the tire to get it fixed. The room was cleaned while our stay there and they did a great job!! The food at the restaurant was so good, so good that we had breakfast there two days in a row and dinner, the food was so fresh and servers really nice....
After we checked out, we wanted to do some shopping and we were able to leave our car there until we were ready to leave.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lupita79

Reviewed 21 May 2009

the purpose of our trip was to have a dental restoration with dr david badillo lopez, sedemex dental office, 512 ave. lopez mateos . the best western is only 5 blocks away. very reasonable and very nice. staff was cordial, rooms were clean, spacious and well attended. continental breakfast was basic , juices and fresh pastries and fruit. complimentary internet in the lobby. adjoining restaurant was very good and busier than most other restaurants in the area.. our ten day stay ran over one weekend and the music from the nearby nightcliub ran late but afterall it is the weekend for these people so cut them some slack.. best dental experience of my life at 20% of price in usa. the food on the street, seafood carts is fabulous, and the waterfront is beautiful. visit the many parks, the old casino, the seafood market and the cinema.. we'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buck2
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I rode my motorcycle (BMW GS1200) down baja, stayed at the El Cid, liked it very much, confortable bed, clean, I really enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi after the long ride. It is very well located and a helpfull english speaking staff, will be back in the summer.

Allmost forgot, we had a very nice dinner at an even nicer price, with wine!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Drlouis
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I made my reservation for the weekend of Saint Valentine, and then came across prior guest reviews, and got concerned with the comments posted.

However, the staff at the reception was very friendly since I checked in. For the next three days, my wife and I observed the same thing (with three different employees at the reception). We have a four month baby boy, and the maids liked the baby so much that we felt welcomed in this hotel (we speak Spanish by the way - reason we were able to communicate with the maids).

My wife liked the place, such that she wants to stay here next time we visit Ensenada. Compared to Posadada El Rey Sol, it is slightly more per night, but the rooms are much better, definitely.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Thirstytraveler_9
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I stayed at this place thinking I could rely on the Best Western brand name. I have stayed at other Best Westerns all over the US and never had any issues, but this time it was clearly different.

The moment I stepped inside the "lobby" I was greeted by a dingy looking place. The receptionist was hidden behind a stack of "stuff" and at first sight it was not even apparent there was a receptionist on duty. Checkin was not a problem and it went fine, the staff weren't rude or anything.

The room was big but appeared rather dingy as well. The bathroom was not as clean as I would've liked but it wasn't too bad either. There was some "stuff" stuck in the wash basin and a piece of chewing gum stuck on the bathroom floor but then again I have very high expectations for cleanliness.

Now, for the worst. There is a nightclub adjacent to this place that blasts rap and raeggaeton music at earth shattering volumes (and I mean loud enough for a brisk reading on the seismograph) right up until 3 AM in the MORNING!!! I came back to my room at midnight and the immense racket went on until 3, the windows, floor and mirror in my room were shaking the whole time. If you have no desire to sleep at all then this place is not a problem, if you would like to catch some sleep just FORGET this place and move along.

The breakfast was being laid out at 8:20am as I was taking off so I guess you will have to find your breakfast elsewhere! It is located on Avenida Lopez Mateos (1st ave.) which is very close to everything.

My stay was absolutely miserable at this place because of the above.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank k374
minurendon, Manager at Best Western El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

First of all thank you for your comments, they help us very much, our front desk now has extra lighting si it is not so dingy at night, there is absolutly no excuse for a chewing gum onthe floor in your rest room, I'm verry sorry about that and the House keeper heard about it.
About the noise at night, there are 4 rooms in the hotel that are next to a disco, when renting this rooms our staff must inform our guests about this situation, and we offer them at a discounted rate, normally this are rented to people who plan to party until late and by the time that they get back to the hotel the disco is closed. We also offer earplugs for our guests.
We are sorry for any inconvenience and hope to see you soon back in Ensenada.

Sincerely

Jose L Rendon

Reviewed 26 August 2008

The sheets from the bed where dirty and we had just checked in.
When we called down to ask if someone could come to change them Gorje the night guy told us he could do nothing about it and that we would have to wait until the next day. He was very rude about it when he called us back like 10 minutes later. The location of this place does not make up for all the upsetting things from this place. The beds are very hard that it disrupts your sleep. The maid forgot to leave us a towels. And as we walked in back to the hotel we were being watched by Jorge. It was almost intimidating and not well with me when you are on vacation. I definitely switching back to my other place . Dont let the location fool you!

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank bajatrips
minurendon, General Manager at Best Western El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Dear Bajatrips

Thank you for reaching us with your comments, they are very important for us to keep improving our service let me tell you that George is no longer working with us, and accept my apologies for anything wrong in during your stay.
Let me tell you that we now have new pillow top mattresses, very comfortable.

Any additional comments please send mi an e-mail at
gm@hotelelcid.com.mx

Sincerely

Jose L Rendon

Reviewed 26 July 2008

Pleasantly surprised by this little hotel. Location is great (at one end of main strip) and was very happy with our room - comfortable bed, good cleanliness, little 'kitchenette' area. Our room walked out onto a nice 'sun patio' area that was shared by other guests. You could walk down to the pool area from here. Unfortunately, the pool left something to be desired. It wasn't terribly clean and was located right next to a dusty empty lot/parking area. Continuing on the down side of things, I have to agree with other reviewers that the customer service at this hotel is appalling. None of the people at the front desk (and we stayed here 4 days) were at all helpful or willing or desirous to be helpful. Overall, a reasonable place to stay if you're looking for good, basic accommodation at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)